-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:13:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Merged: (Your)Favorite Movies
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Merged: (Your)Favorite Movies  (Read 54092 times)
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2006, 11:51:38 AM »

Some of mine are:

Naked http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0107653/ -- This movie was amazing.

Clerks: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0109445/

I Heart Huckabees: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0356721/

Manhattan: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0079522/

Hannah and Her Sisters: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0091167/

Biloxi Blues: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0094746/

Yours?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 11:56:55 AM by Atticus Finch » Logged

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 12:13:45 PM »

Real Genius

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 12:38:08 PM »

I can listen to albums or watch (absolutely terrible) TV or read for 24 hours straight, but for some reason I struggle to sit through a movie without getting bored. I average going to fewer then three or four movies a year, and when I watch them at home, I just get bored and revert to the aforementioned pasttimes 1-3.

That said, for non-music movies, I would say I like these. I claim no particular insight or expertise. I just like these.

Boogie Nights
Rushmore
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Princess Bride
Gummo
Mallrats
Chasing Amy (well, half of it or so)
Most Woody Allen movies
Most Bill Murray movies

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 01:31:46 PM »

I average going to fewer then three or four movies a year.

I've not been to the movie theater since Jumanji came out.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 01:33:53 PM »

Thats a shame, you should go see Superman...I thought it was freakin awesome. 3D

Gonna see it again in the Imax.

--
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 01:41:40 PM »

Thats a shame, you should go see Superman...I thought it was freakin awesome. 3D

Gonna see it again in the Imax.

I've never even read a Superman comic Shocked

Last night I watched a show on the truths of Superman. The physics behind his abilities, etc.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 02:09:36 PM »

Doesnt matter, I can barely remember the Reeve's series (just certain moments) and the movie was still excellent. Check it out asap dude!

--
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 06:24:03 PM »

The Red Shoes
Beyond The Valley of The Dolls
Head
Ikiru
Marked Woman
Nashville
Sunrise
The Wild Bunch
The Searchers
Stardust
42nd St.
La Dolce Vita
All About Eve
Diary Of A Lost Girl

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 07:22:57 PM »

A motley assortment:

Brazil
12 Angry Men
The Shop Around The Corner
Dumbo
The Manchurian Candidate (not the new version with Denzel)
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Cast Away
The Great Escape
Whisper Of The Heart
Help!
Paths Of Glory
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
Old Yeller
Groundhog Day
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
The Big Country
Batman Begins
The Gnome-Mobile
The Jerk
Citizen Kane
What About Bob?
2001: A Space Odyssey
Don't Look Back
Vertigo
Stagecoach
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 11:36:31 PM »

I'll post mine at some point, but does anybody else hate it when somebody names a current movie as their favorite?  It always seems to me like eating a new food for the first time and immediately declaring it the greatest food ever.  Doesn't it need to seek in and have at least one repeat viewing?  This happens all the time I notice, and one example is when Lord of the Rings came out.  Every site I went on, people were saying it was their favorite movie.  To me, this is the shallowest of thinking and really shows a person's lack of history with film.  Eh, just wondering others' thoughts.

By the way, I knew that this threat would bring Ian back.  No way could he resist a film thread.  As much as I love movies, that guy has me beat on so many levels.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 07:00:07 AM »

Sunrise
Sherlock Jr.
City Lights
Bringing Up Baby
A Star is Born (54)
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Charade
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Singing in the Rain
His Girl Friday

And, yes, Rerun, Lord of the Rings.  Some of us grew up dyed by that novel, and for us the movie was electrifying.  Once Star Wars would have been there, but the second trilogy really knocked that one for a loop in my world.  It caused me to see all of the flaws in the first one more clearly.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 08:26:06 AM »

Of course without any order:

- 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Breakfast Club
- Duel
- Citizen Kane
- Eyes Wide Shut
- The Great Dictator
- Mulholland Drive
- The Matrix
- Once Upon A Time In The West
- Schindler's List

P.S. I've also watched Soderbergh's "Solaris" yesterday for the first time. I'm not sure yet, but it could very well enter the top ten.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 08:29:29 AM »

Sunrise
Sherlock Jr.
City Lights
Bringing Up Baby
A Star is Born (54)
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Charade
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Singing in the Rain
His Girl Friday

And, yes, Rerun, Lord of the Rings.  Some of us grew up dyed by that novel, and for us the movie was electrifying.  Once Star Wars would have been there, but the second trilogy really knocked that one for a loop in my world.  It caused me to see all of the flaws in the first one more clearly.

At this point, it's ok.  I was refering to when the movie was still in it's theatrical run.  I guess I mean if someone was saying right now that the new Pirates movie was one of their favorites.  That person would need to go.  It would just be too soon.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 08:31:19 AM by Rerun -- The greatest "Peanut" » Logged

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 08:53:12 AM »

I'll post mine at some point, but does anybody else hate it when somebody names a current movie as their favorite?  It always seems to me like eating a new food for the first time and immediately declaring it the greatest food ever.  Doesn't it need to seek in and have at least one repeat viewing?  This happens all the time I notice, and one example is when Lord of the Rings came out.  Every site I went on, people were saying it was their favorite movie.  To me, this is the shallowest of thinking and really shows a person's lack of history with film.  Eh, just wondering others' thoughts.

By the way, I knew that this threat would bring Ian back.  No way could he resist a film thread.  As much as I love movies, that guy has me beat on so many levels.

Don't you think it is possible to know immediately, even as you're seeing a movie, that it will be among your favorites? If the experience is exciting enough, or touching, or challenging or whatever you use to judge films, then I'd think it is possible.

That said, you see that problem all the time with both movies and albums: someone's Top 10 albums of all time includes six released within the past two years...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 11:32:21 AM »

I'll post mine at some point, but does anybody else hate it when somebody names a current movie as their favorite?

Superman Returns.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2006, 11:45:19 AM »

On the matter of new movies: A Prairie Home Companion. 
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2006, 12:44:38 PM »

Don't you think it is possible to know immediately, even as you're seeing a movie, that it will be among your favorites? If the experience is exciting enough, or touching, or challenging or whatever you use to judge films, then I'd think it is possible.

That said, you see that problem all the time with both movies and albums: someone's Top 10 albums of all time includes six released within the past two years...

I definitely think you can know you're watching something great and meaningful to you, but to list it as a favortie right away?  When I was watching The Graduate for the first time, I knew this was a movie I was loving and the best thing I'd seen in a while, but to claim it as the best or top ten would mean I'd have to remove something else first of all.  Also, I still think a person needs to let a movie sit and have at least one repeat viewing before they talk about how it's their favorite.

Doesn't look like anybody agrees with me and it's becoming repetitious, so not much left to say.  It's just a thing that I never could really understand and have even been annoyed by it on occassions, especially when a person only lists movies from the past five years.

Then again, maybe I'm a hypocrite because I would certainly say I can tell I hate a movie immediately and list it as 'worst film of all time' without a problem...

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2006, 06:57:19 PM »

« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 12:04:25 PM by idigworms » Logged
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 06:58:17 PM »

Hating a movie is very easy, as there are so many to hate, for so many reasons.  This is what makes a good movie so special.  People tend to say negatives about things they don't like than positives about things they do like.  Can I get a 'word up'?

Word to yo mutha!

And I'll start with "Blade Runner."  Rotten.

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 07:38:00 PM »

The first time I read a post from Rerun I knew that he/she would be my favorite userr of all time. My faith in Rerun sometimes falters, but overall, I still know that he's my favorite user eva.

Rerun 4 Eva.

carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006, 05:19:01 AM »

Animal House
Valley of the Dolls
The Godfather pt 1
Carlito's Way (I am an Al Pacino fan)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
All the John Hughes rite de passage movies
Young Guns
Pulp Fiction

Carly

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 05:49:54 AM »

Logan's Run

--
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 09:18:26 AM »

Clerks
Mallrats
Chasing Amy
Fargo
Raising Arizona
Barton Fink
The Big Lebowski
Supersize Me
Bowling For Columbine
Blues Brothers
Dogma
Reservoir Dogs
Donnie Darko
Clockwork Orange
The Shining
Deliverance

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 05:38:09 PM »

Fargo
Raising Arizona
Barton Fink

I love these three, but never cared much for the Big Lebowski.  I've tried it twice and just can't dig it.  John Goodman is so great in Barton Fink...that hotel scene where he first meets him is one of my favorites of all time...

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2006, 06:39:45 PM »

The Dude is awesome. That movie is inspiring. The Big Lebowski is a man to admire.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: