gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:04:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy Film Changes  (Read 7262 times)
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 11:18:11 AM »

The only factual error that annoys me is that when they watch the stars at night it's not real stars on a real sky. Those constellations don't exist.

I don't like the Kubrickesque sequence either, but other than that, great movie! Thumbs up.
I think I'm in the minority but the 2001 sequence really moved me.

I saw "Love & Mercy" 14 times in the cinema this summer. I looked forward to that sequence the last thirteen times. It's a head rush.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2015, 11:29:10 AM »

The only factual error that annoys me is that when they watch the stars at night it's not real stars on a real sky. Those constellations don't exist.

I don't like the Kubrickesque sequence either, but other than that, great movie! Thumbs up.

They were in the Griffith Planetarium, so technically they weren't supposed to be real stars. Doesn't explain the constellations not being real though haha.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »

As a star-gazer I get the problem.  We ALL have our little "things," including me.  I got really excited when I saw a film yesterday that actually showed Orion rising.  Then again, 99% of the films don't bother and we're supposed to be focused on the characters normally anyway, so I just let it go...I love this film so much, I'm not about to quibble with the artists!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 12:32:48 PM »

As a star-gazer I get the problem.  We ALL have our little "things," including me.  I got really excited when I saw a film yesterday that actually showed Orion rising.  Then again, 99% of the films don't bother and we're supposed to be focused on the characters normally anyway, so I just let it go...I love this film so much, I'm not about to quibble with the artists!

To tell the truth, I said that a bit tongue in cheek... angel

Nothing beats seeing the Milky Way around Sagitarius and Scorpio in the Australian desert though. So far. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2015, 12:36:40 PM »

I remember reading that Neil Degrasse Tyson complained to James Cameron that the stars in the movie Titanic were all fake and not factually placed. Cameron, for a DVD re-release, not only put in the real placement of the stars, but placed them exactly where they would've been on the night the Titanic sank.

I'm a fellow stargazer here myself! I'm just starting to get into astro-photography, I may make a sandbox thread if anyone here has any interest discussing space subjects (upcoming meteor showers, eclipses, etc), as well as posting any photos.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2015, 12:57:12 PM »

I remember reading that Neil Degrasse Tyson complained to James Cameron that the stars in the movie Titanic were all fake and not factually placed. Cameron, for a DVD re-release, not only put in the real placement of the stars, but placed them exactly where they would've been on the night the Titanic sank.

I'm a fellow stargazer here myself! I'm just starting to get into astro-photography, I may make a sandbox thread if anyone here has any interest discussing space subjects (upcoming meteor showers, eclipses, etc), as well as posting any photos.

The Sandbox would be the place, and I'm certainly interested.  Caught one of the S. Taurid Meteor Shower last Sat early morning and loved it.  Time to take the discussion elsewhere, I think.  Thanks Rab!  Maybe PM me when you put it up, if you feel like it?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 02:32:31 AM »

Nothing beats seeing the Milky Way around Sagitarius and Scorpio in the Australian desert though. So far. Smiley

This picture was taken and send to me by a friendly fellow traveler this year.

Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2015, 06:52:07 AM »

Need to jump in!

I Have not been out very much for years but have been an avid stargazer as well since childhood. Great idea to bring this topic to the sandbox...something else besides the Boys to check into with our online friends. Rab...good to see you are still here.

Anyone remember the big dud Halley in 1986? Went to Texas for that....fun trip but that had to be the biggest disappointment relating to astronomy in my lifetime. But then we got Hale -Bopp so it's all good.

Back to the film....the 2001 montage was one of the best sequences of the film.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2015, 07:39:08 AM »

Indeed. It made me feel like I was watching a masterpiece.

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 01:50:44 PM »

Indeed. It made me feel like I was watching a masterpiece.

I respectfully disagree. angel To me, that was epigonic and seemed forced. Good for you that you were able to enjoy it! Smiley

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx