gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:29:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys imagined 1989 album - help!  (Read 2163 times)
jakeg1235
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2015, 02:48:45 PM »

For a while now I've been trying to put together the best of BW 88 and Still Cruisin'- era tracks to make a really solid Beach Boys album from 1989. I wanted it to be similiar to SMiLE as well as Pet Sounds, but I'm having some trouble solidifying a tracklist. Here it is as it stands:

1. One For the Boys
2. Kokomo
3. Let it Shine
4. He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body to Move
5. Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long
6. Love and Mercy
7. California Dreamin' (I've also been experimenting with putting "America" from Van Dyke Parks' 1989 album "Tokyo Rose", to create a thematic feel and to add an instrumental track)
8. Somewhere Near Japan
9. There's So Many
10. Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight
11. Melt Away
12. Rio Grande

The biggest problem I'm having is creating a unifying sound. BW 88 is tricky because some of it (There's So Many, Melt Away) sounds like Pet Sounds, and some of it sounds like SMiLE (HCGHPOBTM, Rio Grande), whereas many of the Still Cruisin' songs are not bad, they just aren't deep or introspective like so much of BW88 is, which may make a nice contrast or may be too jarring.
Am I overthinking this? Should I leave the two albums as they are, does this tracklist sound good, or should I tweak it? Would love to hear thoughts!

rogerlancelot
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 04:32:23 PM »

Since only 3 of the 12 songs you listed are actually Beach Boys, why not just enjoy Brian Wilson '88 on its own merits? I recently (couple of months ago) picked up a copy at WalMart for $5 (original mixes without bonus tracks) and have been playing the entire thing once or twice a week since then. It is definitely one of my favorite albums. I've also been listening to In Concert (1973) a lot lately and while I love most of it, some of the "oldies" just don't do it for me (or my teenage son the critic).
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 04:45:39 PM »

I think Rock 'n' Roll to the Rescue would work to bridge BW '88 with the Still Cruisin' stuff.

You could also go back to the 1985 album/singles or forward to Sweet Insanity stuff if you're not satisfied with the mix.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 04:45:51 PM »

It just wouldn't be right without Still Cruisin'!  What are ya thinkin', man?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 04:51:31 PM »

I don't mean that there isn't some decent material to pick from, but if you want it to be "similar to SMiLE as well as Pet Sounds," I think you're fighting an uphill battle--unless you don't mean in terms of quality.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 05:07:02 PM »

I like your using of VDP's America, very Americana. You could Make it Big, Lady Liberty, Male Ego, or Spirit of Rock and Roll for some variety. Maybe Let's go to heaven in my Car? Too Much Sugar for another health song?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 05:37:01 PM »

The Beach Boys - Let It Shine

01  One For The Boys
02  Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight
03  Still Cruisin'
04  In My Car
05  Being With The One You Love
06  Kokomo
07  Melt Away
08  Somewhere Near Japan
09  Love And Mercy
10  Let It Shine
11  Rio Grande

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:20:18 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 09:30:13 PM »

I wouldn't touch BW88, love it as it is. There are enough spare Brian tracks from that era to make a complete SC album of new material.
1- Still Cruisin'
2- Somewhere Near Japan
3- Island Girl
4- In My Car
5- Kokomo
6- Being With the One You Love
7- Make it Big
8 -Daddy's Little Girl
9- Let's Go to Heaven in My Car
10- Too Much Sugar
and if a 10 track album seems to short, add in
11- Happy Endings
12- Don't Worry Baby with the Everly Brothers
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 03:27:48 AM »

Since only 3 of the 12 songs you listed are actually Beach Boys, why not just enjoy Brian Wilson '88 on its own merits? I recently (couple of months ago) picked up a copy at WalMart for $5 (original mixes without bonus tracks) and have been playing the entire thing once or twice a week since then. It is definitely one of my favorite albums. I've also been listening to In Concert (1973) a lot lately and while I love most of it, some of the "oldies" just don't do it for me (or my teenage son the critic).

That would be my response too. It might be worth your while trying to put together a decent post 85 BB album without Brian's solo stuff. Have to admit, I'd struggle to come up with 12 good tracks between 85 and TWGMTR.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx