gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:47:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sam C. Phillips/Sun Records - thread  (Read 42035 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2021, 12:21:03 PM »

Posted on Facebook:

Sun Records is thrilled to announce our deal with @PrimaryWave!

“We are extremely pleased to pass the Sun Records baton to Primary Wave and are confident that they will continue to reach new heights for the crown jewel of the music business created by Sam Phillips, which my brother, Shelby, and I have kept alive and relevant for the past 50 years” -John A. Singleton, President of Sun Entertainment Corporation.

Sun Records, Storied Early Rock Label, Sells Its High-Wattage Catalog
The independent company Primary Wave Music acquired recordings by Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and other pioneers — but not the music of one of Sun’s biggest stars, Elvis Presley.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/arts/music/sun-records-sells-catalog-primary-wave.html?fbclid=IwAR12qCsr6UunDgYpeVwfnkNZzpayTN4hHmGUAkFpU04J-YjSmbRQDZyA9wY

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2021, 12:37:43 PM »

Featuring some former Sun Records soldiers:

Jerry Lee Lewis - News 3 (5-part U.S. news profile)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXKr7AiTGvI

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2022, 11:04:59 AM »

Sun Records - On The Record with Jerry Phillips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbqbWcT0pZ0

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2022, 01:48:54 PM »

'The Birth of Rock 'n' Roll: 70 Years of Sun Records' New Book:
More info on this new books from authors Peter Guralnick and Colin Escott, 'The Birth of Rock 'n' Roll: 70 Years of Sun Records'
With a foreword by Jerry Lee Lewis!  - Out October 18, 2022.

A fascinating look at the history of Sun Records, the label that started Rock n’ Roll, told through 70 of its iconic recordings.
In Memphis, Tennessee, in the 1950s, there was hard-edged blues playing on Beale Street, and hillbilly boogie on the outskirts of town. But at Sam Phillips’ Sun Records studio on Union Avenue, there was something different going on – a whole lotta shakin’, rockin’, and rollin’.
This is where rock ’n’ roll was born.

Sun Records: the company that launched Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, and Carl Perkins.    
The label that brought the world, “Blue Suede Shoes,” “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On,” “Breathless,” “I Walk the Line,” “Mystery Train,” “Good Rockin’ Tonight.”
The Birth of Rock ’n’ Roll: 70 Years of Sun Records is the official history of this legendary label, and looks at its story in a unique way: through the lens of 70 of its most iconic recordings. From the early days with primal blues artists like Howlin’ Wolf and B.B. King to long nights in the studio with Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis, you will see how the label was shaped and how it redefined American music. Accompanying the recordings is the label’s origin story and a look at the mission of the label today, as well as “Sun Spot” sidebars - a fascinating dive into subjects such as how the iconic logo was created, the legendary Million Dollar Quartet sessions, and how the song “Harper Valley, PTA” funded the purchase of the label.

The foreword by Jerry Lee Lewis includes...

... When I first heard about Sam Phillips and SUN Records I knew if I could play for Sam, he could make me a star; he was the man I needed to see to really get things going. He already made Elvis a hit and if he could do it for Elvis, he could certainly do it for Jerry Lee Lewis.
- Recording at Sun were some of the best days of my life. It was much different back then than it is today. To cut a record today you need thirty people but back in those days we would just show up and let 'er rip. When I recorded "Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On" Sam didn't want to record it at first. He wanted me to record "It'll Be Me," which I did, but that wasn't what people wanted to hear. They wanted to hear real Rock and Roll. I kept after Sam until he agreed to do it.  We cut that song just like we'd done it on stage; something that would never happen today. When it came out I was right, it was what the people wanted to hear. It was real rock and roll and that's what we did at Sun, we cut real rock and roll records. That was the beginning of it all. Rock and roll started at Sun Records and without Sun there would be no rock and roll.
- Elvis asked me how I was possibly going to follow up "Whole Lotta Shakin'Goin On." Well, I wasn't too worried about that so just turned to him and said "Oh, I'll think of something" and walked away. Of course, we followed-up with "Great Balls of Fire" which we originally recorded for a movie called "Jamboree." ... I didn't feel like that original take was quite right. It was good but I knew it could be better. We took that song back to the studio at Sun, re-cut it, and the rest is history.

- A lot of people have asked me over the years what I think of Sam Phillips and it's sure that we didn't always see eye to eye but, you know, he was like a brother to me. He helped me get my start, and for that I will forever be grateful. There will never be another like him and there will never be another Sun Records. That's where it all started; with Sam, and Carl, and Roy, Johnny, and, of course, ole Jerry Lee. Sam Phillips and Sun records changed the whole world.
- I can't believe it's been 70 years since Sam founded Sun records and I'm blessed to be here to celebrate it with my fans, Sam's fans, Sun Records' fans. God Bless you all. --- - Jerry Lee Lewis

Written by two of the most acclaimed music writers of our time, Peter Guralnick and Colin Escott, and featuring hundreds of rare images from the Sun archives as well as a foreword by music legend Jerry Lee Lewis, this is a one-of-a-kind book for anyone who wants to know where it all started.
Publisher: Weldon Owen OUT October 18, 2022 256 pages.

EIN reckons this will be a sensational book.

(News, Source; Amazon/ ElvisInfoNet)

Source: http://www.elvisinfonet.com/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2023, 01:27:10 PM »

The Birth of Rock ‘n’ Roll: A Conversation With Author Peter Guarlnick

https://youtu.be/zLF-puNYGFo

Michael Gray, VP of Museum Services at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum discusses songs from Sun Records that shaped the future of rock and roll with Peter Guralnick, co-author of the new book The Birth of Rock ‘n’ Roll: The Illustrated Story of Sun Records and the 70 Recordings That Changed The World.

The Birth of Rock ’n’ Roll: The Illustrated History of Sun Records & the 70 Records that Changed the World

https://sunrecords.com/the-birth-of-rock-n-roll-the-illustrated-history-of-sun-records-the-70-records-that-changed-the-world/

« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 01:34:12 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2023, 10:05:31 PM »

I'm sad these posts of yours don't get more response, Rocker, but I thank you for them. I really was born at the wrong time, always wanted to be able to make recordings the way they did at Sun.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2023, 03:08:10 AM »

You're very welcome!
I see what you mean. In theory of course it is possible to make recordings the exact same way as Sam did - technically -, but I guess it's a philosophy about it that has been lost nowadays.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2023, 04:31:56 PM »

The funny thing is most of the guys on the label were kind of critical of Sam and the restrictions of Sun. Elvis obviously, for better or worse, wanted to do more ballads and have backup singers-the Jordanaires. Roy Orbison hated his time on Sun and felt Sam did not know what to do with him. Johnny Cash seemed to appreciate Sam but as soon as he got to Columbia he started doing things differently. Jerry Lee was I guess the most loyal. I think Jerry did go best work on Sun but I also like a lot of his Mercury years.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2023, 09:27:43 AM »

Well, there's truth to that. But you could argue that being able to be critical of your "boss" is a sign of a good working relationship. That aside, I don't think that there are a lot of musicians who are not critical of their record companies, so it's nothing that special imo. Sam certainly had his vision and was eager to make sure it was followed through, that's why - as he said - he never was gonna be a one-artist-label. I wouldn't talk of "restrictions" though, to be honest. If anything I guess Sun was quite unrestricted.

But a couple of things I would disagree with: Certainly Elvis wanted backing singers in the long term but during his time on Sun I don't think that was ever something that was considered. Sam didn't have a problem with using backing singers if you look at other artists when the song needed it (or if he let Jack Clement produce - which unfortuantely made for some very dated recordings by Johnny Cash).
Also, yes Elvis wanted to sing ballads, but Sam did let him record them because he "didn't have the heart to stop him". You can be sure though that after "That's allright" Elvis' mind was set on Rock and Roll, because he not only loved it but he saw that that was what had the potential to make him a star.

Roy and Sam didn't really see eye-to-eye and that frustrated Orbison. I believe he mentioned that Sam couldn't tell him what he wanted and that he himself didn't understand what Sam was trying to tell him. Only later he understood. But Roy also said that he enjoyed the time at Sun for the experience he got in the studio and at the recording process.

Basically I believe that most of the problems anyone had with Phillips was related to money.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2023, 08:11:31 PM »

In the case of Cash, he wanted to record gospel music, and Sam didn't feel he could sell gospel. Sun was a great place for these guys to start, but of course by moving to the major labels, there were bigger budgets to support them, which meant we got gospel albums from Elvis and John; concept albums like Bitter Tears; Orbison (and later) Presley using orchestras on their records; I think it was all for the best.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2023, 02:57:46 AM »

In the case of Cash, he wanted to record gospel music, and Sam didn't feel he could sell gospel. Sun was a great place for these guys to start, but of course by moving to the major labels, there were bigger budgets to support them, which meant we got gospel albums from Elvis and John; concept albums like Bitter Tears; Orbison (and later) Presley using orchestras on their records; I think it was all for the best.

Well, Cash also did record Gospel songs at Sun. It was just that - as you said - there was no way in Sam's eyes to sell enough units of an whole album of that material. And he very well may have been right with that. Sun had to be careful what they put out as albums. They were an independent label after all.
I agree with you that in the end it was for the best for all these great artists to go to another label because had they all stayed on Sun I don't think there was a way for Sam to fill the demand for each of the respective artist's product. All in all, Sun was still a one-man-operation.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2023, 12:51:22 PM »

It’s interesting that many people formed a strong view of the artists in this period. Seems like a lot of celebrity fans of Elvis like John Lennon did not like the backing singers and strings and wanted Elvis to just sing rock and roll with his two or three piece band again. I remember George Harrison saying that in the Anthology video. Also seemed like Rick Rubin really wanted to strip Johnny Cash back to his Sun sound on the first record he did with him.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2023, 04:04:27 AM »

It’s interesting that many people formed a strong view of the artists in this period. Seems like a lot of celebrity fans of Elvis like John Lennon did not like the backing singers and strings and wanted Elvis to just sing rock and roll with his two or three piece band again. I remember George Harrison saying that in the Anthology video.

Yes, that's something I thought about from time to time as well. It's like people like John Lennon and Paul McCartney wouldn't let Elvis grow musically yet at the same time they where demanding that the audience would let them go on from "I want to hold your hand" to their current music. It's a little hypocritical but yet it's what some fans felt and in the end the Beatles were fans just as the next guy. Unfortunately though, many people listen to what Lennon said and think that it has more authority than their own opinion just because it comes from a Beatle, which has led to a lot of the beatiful music Elvis made after 1960 being totally under appreciated.

To tell you the truth - and I won't go further into this at this point because it would probably need a lengthy demonstration - the main problem I see with this attitude to Elvis' later recordings is the labeling of "Rock'n'Roll" of his music (and that of his peers for that matter) and the stereotyped thinking of the audience. Elvis of course didn't play Rock and Roll, he played music his own way (so did Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bo Diddley, Carl Perkins a.s.o.) which would then be called "Rock and Roll" and would evolve into a category with a somewhat particular range.

This is of course totally anachronistic and does not describe the way Elvis and the other guys looked at their own music (at least not initially) but it's the way the fans, including the Beatles and others, up to this day look at the early 'Rock and Rollers'. You could argue that while Elvis wanted to make music, the Beatles (and other acts like the Stones etc.) wanted to play "Rock and Roll" (I hope it is clear what I mean, I'd need more time to come up with a better way to phrase this sufficiently).

And although "Rock and Roll" is considered to be the ultimate "there are no boundaries"-style of music, this attitude actually limits that music in very harsh ways, so much so that you are not allowed to appreciate the beauty of Elvis' "It's now or never" if you're a Rock'n'Roller, although in Elvis' own eyes there was no difference between that song and "Hound Dog" because it is just the same naturaly way he made music - both come from the same inner source as "That's alright".

In more recent years I actually find myself wondering more and more if that short periode of time when people like Elvis got their start and before that label "Rock and Roll" crushed everything to death, and of course the way some of these acts continued to make music throughout their carreers may have been the only time when "Rock and Roll" was actually what people to this day like to claim it is but actually isn't. And thinking about this makes me appreciate Sam Phillips all the more because as I understand it, this way of looking at music without any categories was just what he did.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 04:08:15 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2023, 06:44:09 PM »

Yeah that is very well said.  It’s actually pretty strange that the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, etc loved the 1950s rockers but at the same time they sort of killed their careers-though some like Elvis were able to maintain popularity. It’s strange but in a sense chuck Berry and Jerry Lee were treated like over the hill old guys by 1965 when they were only a few years older than John and Ringo. Elvis was only five years older than Lennon! Yeah I agree that it is very easy to be swayed by the opinions of people you respect.  But then you realize-even though I like Mick Jagger, he apparently likes all the club and house music that I never could stand, so why should I listen to his opinions of Elvis or The Beach Boys! The thing that is interesting about Elvis-is that it seems like (with a few exceptions) he never was an album guy! Like he just went into the studio every year or two and recorded 25 songs and then let the producer and the company put together any album they wanted with any overdubs they wanted! It would’ve been amazing if he had gotten healthy and done some real albums-like a blues album or another country album. In truth , even that country album he did do was part of a larger hodgepodge session.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2023, 11:52:16 AM »

Lots of good stuff on here:

Determination and passion drove Sam Phillips to create Sun Records and change music forever, and Sun is celebrating his 100th birthday with a 2-LP anthology of songs he brought to life. The gatefold features archival photos and liners from Grammy-winning writer Robert Gordon about Phillips’ legendary legacy. Known as “The Man Who Invented Rock ’n’ Roll,” tracks from artists like Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis remind listeners what the Big Bang of rock and roll sounded like in 1950s Memphis.

https://store.sunrecords.com/product/X3LPSR63/where-rock-n-roll-was-born-celebrating-100-years-of-sam-phillips-lp-various-artists?cp=110846_112418_113737&

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2024, 04:50:24 PM »

Found on Facebook:

“Hello Everyone,
It’s with a heavy grieving heart that I announce this morning the passing from time into eternity of my husband of 42 years at 10:30pm CST February 9, 2024.
He was 86 years old, and had an incredibly filled life. He loved all of his devoted fans who became amazing friends. He was our family, but his passion for music and love for you all let him belong to everyone.
Peace to you all always,
Deborah”

Memphis Music Hall of Fame entry:

https://memphismusichalloffame.com/inductee/jm-van-eaton/?fbclid=IwAR17_7W38uC_szjyVt2S-iUTgO2MMrsmGl2qpQuApLG32MiL4ENP2WhV0Io

Jimmy van Eaton was the drummer for Billy Lee Rileys band (The little green Men) which became the de facto house band for Sun Records starting ca. '56. You heard his drumming on countless recordings. Here are just a couple of them:

Jerry Lee Lewis - Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcZypy8LA7E

Billy Lee Riley - Red Hot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6P28bCPjAA

Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls of Fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMwq_D-DWsU

Johnny Cash - Guess Things Happen That Way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrEFQuN1xGc

Bill Justis - Raunchy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQOko-IH46o

Jerry Lee Lewis - High School Confidential

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw-2QVUEkhk

Charlie Rich - Lonely Weekends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMFelH4Vzjg

Jerry Lee Lewis - Breathless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndX-R_JDbOU

Charlie Rich - Who Will the Next Fool Be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSv3qWDUYg

Billy Lee Riley - Flyin' Saucers Rock 'n' Roll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GDhgdFLjE8

J.M. Van Eaton Interview - The Roots of Rock Drumming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHi309hx3HU

Jimmy van Eaton - Foggy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z60AzxvAE8c

Jimmy Van Eaton – whole lotta drummin’ goin’ on

https://www.vintagerockmag.com/2022/09/jimmy-van-eaton-whole-lotta-drummin-goin-on/
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 05:22:35 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2024, 07:35:56 PM »

Sun Records: Conversation with/ Family & Friends of Sam Phillips

Sun Records played a vital role in the history of rock & roll. Join Sam Phillip's family & friends, Jerry Phillips, Halley Phillips, Peter Guralnick and Ben Vaughn, as they reminisce and tell stories about the iconic record label during this virtual interview with Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vice President of Education and Visitor Engagement, Jason Hanley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTMS4g6Ze6g

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx