gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
605870 Posts in 24524 Topics by 3484 Members - Latest Member: BeachBoy819 April 28, 2017, 01:25:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sam C. Phillips/Sun Records - thread  (Read 4898 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2017, 12:26:21 PM »

Rocker, thanks so much for that post!

The song I heard was 'Good Rockin Tonight', also 'Blue Moon of Kentucky' had some really cool percussion on it.

I've got some good listening to do the rest of today. I actually bought that Cash album With His Hot And Blue Guitar years ago and love it. So I guess I already have foot in the door to this music.

Elvis at Sun is on Apple Music and I'm listening to 'Harbor Lights' right now. Great stuff.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

Rab has flounced around before about other people not talking about things the way rab likes and he/she will again.

"You know I've kiboshed before. And I will kibosh again." - Crazy Joe Davola
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2017, 12:27:44 PM »

Sam Phillips' Sun records rules, not so much with Shelby making Orion release fake Elvis records.

Well, the Orion thing was really bad imo. Although whoever thinks that this was Elvis probably doesn't deserve better  LOL
But the original, undubbed versions of Jerry Lee are great!

Another one you should check out (and who is heard on the two not-Orion tracks) is Charlie Rich. His recordings for Sun/Phillips International are just fabulous. They are among my favorite Sun related recordings.

But in the end, Sam and his staff cut so much great music. You just can't beat something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMWQ53SB3po

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2017, 12:30:29 PM »

Rocker, thanks so much for that post!

The song I heard was 'Good Rockin Tonight', also 'Blue Moon of Kentucky' had some really cool percussion on it.

I've got some good listening to do the rest of today. I actually bought that Cash album With His Hot And Blue Guitar years ago and love it. So I guess I already have foot in the door to this music.

Elvis at Sun is on Apple Music and I'm listening to 'Harbor Lights' right now. Great stuff.

"Good rockin' tonight", yeah that'S one of my favorites.
But "Harbour lights"? Well, to each his own...  Wink Not necessarily something I listen to many times.

Try to get the Perkins album for a next step  Smiley

EDIT:

Sun Records: Margaret Anne Florence on Playing the Other Woman

http://www.cmt.com/news/1777465/sun-records-margaret-anne-florence-on-playing-the-other-woman/

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:46:29 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2017, 12:50:56 PM »

CHICAGO BREAKDOWN rules! Cool

I don't see the point in punishing Brian's musical output solely because Mike wants to wow the President Elect with how long he can weeze "wheeeeeeen" into a microphone.- rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2017, 09:54:27 AM »

I totally forgot about this. Here's a youtube channel dedicated to Sam's recordings:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPXNgOyy_tc5_BVAGbNfrEA

It's part of this fan created website:

http://www.706unionavenue.nl/

Other recommendations for Sun material are the Bear Family releases, especially the boxsets. I don't own any of them but you can listen to some of it online etc. As seems to be the case with nearly everything Bear Family releases, they are top-notch.

https://www.bear-family.com/

In fact they just released two new compilations with Sun material: Guitars at Sun and Drums at Sun

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2017, 09:37:06 AM »

‘Sun Records’ Off To Strong Ratings Start On CMT

http://deadline.com/2017/02/sun-records-premiere-ratings-cmt-1201976190/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2017, 11:54:35 AM »

Well, as of yet, the series is not what I had hoped it would be. It's ok for some entertainment if you have nothing else to do. Especially the way some characters (in fact most of them) are portrayed is disappointing. And it seems like none of the actors gets their character. There is no connection between actor and character. Only superficial TV acting (in not such a good sense). Let's wait and see what it will evolve to.

You can watch the two first episodes here:

http://www.cmt.com/shows/sun-records/episode-guide

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2017, 09:57:37 AM »

I haven't watched the latest episode yet, but as of yet I'm not too fond of this series. It just doesn't work. The actors mostly seem like a they don't know a thing about their characters. And I'm thankful for every moment "Elvis" isn't in a scene. That one - more than any other - is an embarrassment imo, followed by "Johnny Cash".
Has anyone else watched this? What are your thoughts?

rab2591, did you find something interesting?

On another note, the legendary James Cotton passed away. He also started out with Sam and Sun Records:

JAMES COTTON - COTTON CROP BLUES - HOLD ME IN YOUR ARMS - SUN 206

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyJj-dt-a4k

EDIT:

And this one is also new to me:

Jerry Lee Lewis - Receives 2017 Ameripolitan Master Award

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysIUzhF6LYU

The Killer looking fine and in good spirits
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:16:12 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2017, 07:41:36 AM »

Muscle Shoals, RCA, Sun: The Revival of 3 Legendary Studios

https://reverb.com/news/muscle-shoals-rca-sun-the-revival-of-3-legendary-studios

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx