gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:38:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sam C. Phillips/Sun Records - thread  (Read 42012 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2015, 05:38:29 AM »

Thanks, Rocker! Another Guralnick.. Gotta squeeze into the early 2016 reading list somehow..
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2015, 12:19:53 PM »

Peter Guralnick: Profiling the Kings of Rock and Roll

http://nodepression.com/article/peter-guralnick-profiling-kings-rock-and-roll

Review by No Depression

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2015, 01:58:31 PM »

From Guralnick's Facebook page:

A little Christmas Eve reading: an excerpt from SAM PHILLIPS!

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/books/excerpt-from-sam-phillips-by-peter-guralnick-1.11243715

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2015, 11:17:12 AM »

The Source: Did This Man Invent Rock And Roll?

http://tpr.org/post/source-did-man-invent-rock-and-roll#stream/0

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 06:03:19 AM »

Audio:

Suede Shoes and Memphis Trains: The Beginning of Sun Records

Truth in advertising is a powerful thing. So when you name your book Sam Phillips: The Man Who Invented Rock 'n' Roll -- How One Man Discovered Howlin' Wolf, Ike Turner, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, and Elvis Presley, and How His Tiny Label, Sun Records of Memphis, Revolutionized the World -- you've already promised a lot. But it's an appropriately descriptive and sprawling title for the life story of a multi-faceted and occasionally contradictory man. And it's a book and story filled with great rock and roll. Author Peter Guralnick visits Soundcheck and tells host John Schaefer why Sam Phillips' musical DNA is imprinted on the modern world through his many innovative moves in the 1950s and beyond. Click the player above to listen to the interview.

http://soundcheck.wnyc.org/story/peter-guralnick-sun-records/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 02:51:22 PM »

Well, it's Sam's birthday, so:

Sam Phillips, The Blues, Wolf…and Elvis Too

http://www.udiscovermusic.com/sam-phillips-blues-wolfand-elvis

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 10:26:16 AM »

Tomorrow night, Music City Roots will partner with Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum and Peter Guralnick to host a special event honoring the "Father of Sun," Sam Phillips! More information here:

http://musiccityroots.com/blog/10573/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2016, 02:44:47 PM »

Peter Guralnick on Sam Phillips
The writer interviewed Phillips many times before his death in 2002.

http://americansongwriter.com/2016/01/peter-guralnick-sam-phillips/

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2016, 03:28:08 PM »

Guralnick was on Marc Maron's WTF podcast within the past week or so.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_676_-_peter_guralnick

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2016, 07:32:27 AM »

And now this:

‘Million Dollar Quartet’ television series to shoot in Memphis

Viacom's Nashville-based CMT network is expected to formally announce Wednesday the filming of an eight-episode television adaptation of "Million Dollar Quartet," the Broadway musical about Memphis' Sun Records. According to sources familiar with the project, the production will be based in Memphis and could spend up to six months shooting in the city.

Filming is expected to begin in early spring, but preproduction has been ongoing for several weeks. An ambitious period piece, the project would be the biggest film or television production in Memphis in many years, and was made possible by the $4 million in state film funds earmarked last year for Memphis-area productions, out of the $16 million included in Gov. Bill Haslam's budget for film funding. This kept the production in Tennessee, although Louisiana also was competing for the series.

As part of the announcement, the Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development is also expected to confirm details of an incentive package for the project. During a luncheon hosted by the Memphis Rotary Club today, the state's economic development commissioner, Randy Boyd, told a group of local business and community leaders to expect a major announcement involving the city tomorrow, but did not disclose specifics.

The shooting could generate significant job opportunities. Officials with Sun Studios — the historic home of Sun Records — confirmed they have met with producers of the "Million Dollar Quartet" show, but that there were no current plans to film scenes at the studio. Instead, sets will be constructed in a Downtown warehouse, which will serve as a soundstage for some interior scenes. Close to 50 locations around town will be needed, as well as vintage cars.

The series will be a scripted drama that depicts the lives of young Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins, in and around Memphis in the 1950s, in the time leading up to the historic 1956 meeting of the so-called Million Dollar Quartet at Sun Studios. Such figures as Sun founder Sam Phillips, associate Marion Keisker and various blues singers will be characters. Most of the main actors have yet to be cast.

The "Million Dollar Quartet" series is being executive produced by Leslie Greif and Gil Grant. Greif's credits include reality shows such as "Gene Simmons' Family Jewels" and the miniseries "The Hatfields & McCoys." Grant served as an executive and consulting producer on the hit police dramas "NCIS" and "NCIS: Los Angeles." Sun Records historian Colin Escott, who co-wrote the book for the Broadway version of "Million Dollar Quartet," will serve as a producer as well.

The program's musical director is Chuck Mead, best known for his work with roots-country band BR5-49 and as an arranger for the stage show of "Million Dollar Quartet." The score and recordings for the show are expected to be cut by Mead and musicians in Nashville.

The synopsis for the television series, sent out as part of its casting notice in late 2015, characterizes the narrative as "the story of nothing less than the creation of rock 'n' roll. We see the new music unfold, changing society, paving the way for racial integration. Set in Memphis, Tennessee, it's the story of Sam Phillips, a struggling audio engineer who has a dream of starting his own record label."

The series will document Sun Records' transition from a black, blues-based label to becoming a force in rock and roll with the arrival of Elvis Presley. "Phillips signed him, promoted him in the face of ridicule and hostility, but was soon forced to sell his contract to RCA to keep afloat," according to the synopsis. "He used the proceeds to promote Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins' 'Blue Suede Shoes.' Then he discovered Jerry Lee Lewis. The music that Phillips nurtured is the defining sound of modern times, still the foundation of contemporary popular music."

Though not involved formally with the project, the family of the late Sam Phillips is aware of the production. Jerry Phillips, one of Sam's two sons, confirmed that he and his brother Knox had been in contact with producers and requested to see a treatment for the proposed TV adaptation.

Sam Phillips' legacy has enjoyed a renaissance over the past year. He's currently the subject of a major exhibit chronicling his life at the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, and a critically hailed biography by author Peter Guralnick. The family-owned Madison Avenue studio bearing his name, the Sam Phillips Recording Service, has also been undergoing major renovations and improvements during recent months.

The first local casting call for the series will be Saturday, February 13 at Humes Prepatory Academy Middle School, at 659 N. Manassas St. The open call begins at 9 a.m., with the line starting at 7 a.m. You can get more info here.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/entertainment/music/million-dollar-quartet-television-series-to-shoot-in-memphis-2acf422e-319c-0484-e053-0100007f1011-367428131.html

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2016, 12:39:41 PM »

Producer says ‘Million Dollar Quartet’ could spend $17 million, extend past initial 8 episodes

http://www.commercialappeal.com/entertainment/movies/features/producer-says-million-dollar-quartet-could-spend-17-million-locally-extend-past-initial-8-episod-2b0-367872211.html

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2016, 01:00:23 AM »

Casting Call For Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash And More Begins For CMT's 'Million Dollar Quartet'

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brianhernandez1/2016/02/03/cmt-million-dollar-quartet-casting-call-auditions-elvis-presley-johnny-cash/#736801ff22a5

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2016, 01:16:25 AM »

In my opinion, Michael St. Gerard is the best Elvis. Although he's been doing it for over twenty years. Would he be to old by now?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2016, 02:49:19 PM »

The Sam Phillips Interview (May 2000)

http://www.udiscovermusic.com/the-sam-phillips-interview-may-2000

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2016, 11:56:11 PM »

BTW, Rocker, it's nice to see you have a passion for this older music. I don't even know a lot of the newer bands people post about on this board. I guess I've always been a bit of a music historian, even as a teenager, I was checking out records from the 50's and 60's. Most of my friends are not into it, but to me, it feels like timeless music.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2016, 11:34:18 AM »

BTW, Rocker, it's nice to see you have a passion for this older music. I don't even know a lot of the newer bands people post about on this board. I guess I've always been a bit of a music historian, even as a teenager, I was checking out records from the 50's and 60's. Most of my friends are not into it, but to me, it feels like timeless music.

I can feel with you. I always get a kick out of people getting or being as much in love with this music as I am.
I am fascinated by it (and that reaches to the beginning of blues, gospel, spiritual etc) from a historic standpoint. But much more I just love the music. I'm almost exclusively listening to "old" music. Not from a purist point of view but just because it seems to me that this is the way it should be done. There's no reason why it couldn't be done today as well. Well, this all would of course be a discussion we could have for hours and what I've posted is certainly very superficial.
BTW I think Sam Phillips is absolutely a hero. He wasn't the only one for sure. But that feeling for sound and music is just incredible.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:35:27 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2016, 02:33:26 PM »

I can feel with you. I always get a kick out of people getting or being as much in love with this music as I am.
I am fascinated by it (and that reaches to the beginning of blues, gospel, spiritual etc) from a historic standpoint. But much more I just love the music. I'm almost exclusively listening to "old" music. Not from a purist point of view but just because it seems to me that this is the way it should be done. There's no reason why it couldn't be done today as well. Well, this all would of course be a discussion we could have for hours and what I've posted is certainly very superficial.
BTW I think Sam Phillips is absolutely a hero. He wasn't the only one for sure. But that feeling for sound and music is just incredible.
Yes, he's a hero to me. Amazing that so much incredible music came out of that little studio. And he had the ability to see something special in some people that may not have seemed all that special to the average person in the beginning. Worked with them, developing their style...can you imagine any record label doing that today? Guys like Howlin' Wolf, Johnny Cash and Elvis wouldn't get 5 minutes with any of the big labels today. Back then, it was difficult, but possible, for a small label to make an impact, a HUGE impact.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2016, 12:39:20 PM »

‘Million Dollar Quartet’ wraps production: ‘It can only be shot in Memphis’

http://www.commercialappeal.com/entertainment/movies/million-dollar-quartet-wraps-production-it-can-only-be-shot-in-memphis-36fa3fa5-4cc9-5ae3-e053-01000-385959021.html

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2016, 12:50:36 PM »

From Jerry Lee's Facebook page:

Christian Lees gets to meet the man he is portraying in the new TV production of the “Million Dollar Quartet” that just finished filming its first season in Memphis.
Jerry Lee invites the young Christian to his Mississippi home for a conversation about the good-old-days and the upcoming MDQ TV show.

EDIT:

Updated the topic title
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 01:06:57 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2016, 02:51:50 AM »

This might be slightly off topic, but when I went to the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Museum in 1998, one of the displays we saw was an actual section of the original Sun studio.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2016, 10:37:48 AM »

This might be slightly off topic, but when I went to the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Museum in 1998, one of the displays we saw was an actual section of the original Sun studio.

It's possible. I believe the original RCA recording equipement was given to the museum by Sam.

Christian Lees dressed as the young Jerry Lee Lewis in the new TV production of the “Million Dollar Quartet” filming in and around Memphis.
The first season of the MDQ show is scheduled to air on the CMT Network in late 2016 or early in 2017.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2016, 02:00:39 PM »

I can't help but to look at that picture and remember the short lived "Elvis: The Early Years" tv series.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2016, 12:36:35 PM »

I can't help but to look at that picture and remember the short lived "Elvis: The Early Years" tv series.

I think I saw a couple of minutes on youtube once. Don't remember if it was any good. But these kind of series look all the same. I have to say though that "Jerry Lee" does indeed look authentic for a pre-fame Killer. Not like that ridiculous way he was portrayed for example in "Walk the line".

Here is the official website for the series:

http://mdqseries.com/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2016, 08:37:31 AM »

Here's a Dick Clark - documentary on the Class Of '55 album, recorded at Sun studio and American Sound Studio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVkQyjTJAw8

Coming Home: A Rockin' Reunion (1989)

Dick Clark visits the home of Sun Records in Memphis. Performances by Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, and Roy Orbison, including a reunion performance. Rick Nelson is also on hand lending some musical talent to the Hall of Fame legends. August 10, 1989. This footage was actually shot a few years earlier before the death of Rick Nelson.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:13:27 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2016, 10:31:09 AM »

How Sam Phillips Invented the Sound of Rock and Roll
​The unusual engineering behind a legendary sound

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/music/a22237/sam-phillips-sun-studio/?src=social-email

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx