gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:08:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys version of Beatles 1+...What would you want on it?  (Read 3881 times)
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2015, 03:46:42 PM »

All the fuss and hubbub over the new Beatles 1+ CD/DVD/Blu-Ray set is warranted. It really IS that great of a package.

Could something similar be put together using The Beach Boys? Of course, but what would be on it?

Here's your mission, should you choose to accept it: fill up 2 mythical DVD's of Beach Boy clips and promo films. Keep it to the classic period of 1961 to 1974. There should be more than enough to fill up 2 discs.

(and yes, I know bootleggers have cobbled together similar projects, but I'm interested in what YOU would do.)
rogerlancelot
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 05:51:50 PM »

The Beatles package is chiefly made up of 27 #1 hits (either in the UK or the US). Since the Beach Boys never came close to this total, then I guess we can make our own fantasy set.

For starters, I would like the 2 promos filmed in New Orleans in 1970 complete and in excellent quality. They include "Good Vibrations" (seen in the A&E BW Biography) and "Cottonfields" (seen in Endless Harmony).
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 06:17:57 PM »

All the fuss and hubbub over the new Beatles 1+ CD/DVD/Blu-Ray set is warranted. It really IS that great of a package.

Could something similar be put together using The Beach Boys? Of course, but what would be on it?

Here's your mission, should you choose to accept it: fill up 2 mythical DVD's of Beach Boy clips and promo films. Keep it to the classic period of 1961 to 1974. There should be more than enough to fill up 2 discs.

(and yes, I know bootleggers have cobbled together similar projects, but I'm interested in what YOU would do.)

Im gonna go with an even 30 songs. No real reasoning behind these; just my personal favorites and a playlist I wouldnt feel ashamed or as if I was misrepresenting the band if I wanted to show a friend what the band was really all about outside the overplayed hits. Pretty much all Brian here but...I mean...c'mon.

WIBN
GOK
Caroline No
LGAFA

Surfs Up
H&V
VT
CE
GV

Shes Goin Bald

Wild Honey
Darlin

Busy Doin Nothing

Solar System
Johnny Carson
Ill Bet Hes Nice

In My Room
Youre So Good To Me
Little Girl I Once Knew
California Girls
Help Me Rhonda
Get Around
When I Grow Up to be a Man
Warmth of the Sun
Please Let Me Wonder
All Summer Long
Dont Worry Baby
She Knows Me Too Well

Til I Die
Mt Vernon

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 09:59:10 PM »

No thanks.  There are enough compilations floating around for the Beach Boys.  No need for more.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »

Endless Summer is pretty much the ultimate BB compilation as far as their hit material goes. Great selection of early album cuts too.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 02:26:42 AM »

I thought the inspiration of this thread was the Fabs' new VIDEO package.  So (I suspect) to clarify: Instead of another audio compilation, what videos (performances, TV appearances, promos, what have you) would you like to see digitally restored and packaged together on DVD and Blue Ray?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 06:43:35 AM »

The comparison to the Beatles package is difficult to make. I don't think there are a ton of known promotional films made by the Beach Boys, especially in the 60s. There are TV appearances, and concert films. But how many times did they or the record label prepare a "music video", either mimed or otherwise set to the studio recording?

Is there anything prior to the "Pet Sounds" film and "Sloop John B"? I think any such BB set would quickly devolve into a clip job of TV shows and concerts. A compilation of TV appearances would be great, but is unlikely to happen given the cost involved in licensing from numerous rights holders. Meanwhile, I'd rather have as separate compilation of full concerts rather than clips. That doesn't leave much. If they managed to include stuff from the later 70s and 80s and 90s, they could at least get a full-length deal done in terms of "promotional films/videos."

But how many 60's promotional films exist, separate from TV performances (mimed or live) or concert footage?

Sloop John B
Pet Sounds
Good Vibrations
Friends
I Can Hear Music

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others. But there aren't a ton of clips. They could go the route a few clips on the Beatles set and edit together new clips, like the "Little Honda" film made of the Carl/Dennis home movies.

I think some TV stuff, especially stuff like the mimed "Cotton Fields" and that other version of "I Can Hear Music" and things like that, could be worked in since they function essentially as mimed promo films.

The other problem with working in any music videos from 1985 or later is that, aside from "California Dreamin'" and maybe "Somewhere Near Japan", just about all the videos they made are frankly pretty bad and sometimes embarrassing.

My idea would be:

- Multi-part, feature documentary on the group. Numerous hours long. Then, work extant promo films into that documentary, with more clips included as bonus features.

- Separately, a multi-disc DVD live concert compilation

Really, a long-form documentary and a release of live concerts are the two main video-related items left that are really feasible as far as the BBs are concerned. Aside from that, it's archival audio that's the untapped goldmine.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:45:43 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 07:16:41 AM »

I like where you going with the documentary idea, Hey Jude. I hate to sound morbid but part of me suspects we won't get a 100% perfect documentary with all the members still around, considering some of the stories that have come out over the years!
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 01:11:36 PM »

The comparison to the Beatles package is difficult to make. I don't think there are a ton of known promotional films made by the Beach Boys, especially in the 60s. There are TV appearances, and concert films. But how many times did they or the record label prepare a "music video", either mimed or otherwise set to the studio recording?

Is there anything prior to the "Pet Sounds" film and "Sloop John B"? I think any such BB set would quickly devolve into a clip job of TV shows and concerts. A compilation of TV appearances would be great, but is unlikely to happen given the cost involved in licensing from numerous rights holders. Meanwhile, I'd rather have as separate compilation of full concerts rather than clips. That doesn't leave much. If they managed to include stuff from the later 70s and 80s and 90s, they could at least get a full-length deal done in terms of "promotional films/videos."

But how many 60's promotional films exist, separate from TV performances (mimed or live) or concert footage?

Sloop John B
Pet Sounds
Good Vibrations
Friends
I Can Hear Music

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others. But there aren't a ton of clips. They could go the route a few clips on the Beatles set and edit together new clips, like the "Little Honda" film made of the Carl/Dennis home movies.

I think some TV stuff, especially stuff like the mimed "Cotton Fields" and that other version of "I Can Hear Music" and things like that, could be worked in since they function essentially as mimed promo films.

The other problem with working in any music videos from 1985 or later is that, aside from "California Dreamin'" and maybe "Somewhere Near Japan", just about all the videos they made are frankly pretty bad and sometimes embarrassing.

My idea would be:

- Multi-part, feature documentary on the group. Numerous hours long. Then, work extant promo films into that documentary, with more clips included as bonus features.

Really, a long-form documentary and a release of live concerts are the two main video-related items left that are really feasible as far as the BBs are concerned. Aside from that, it's archival audio that's the untapped goldmine.

The Beatles didn't make enough promo films to fill up 2 DVD's. In many cases, the "videos" on this new 1+ set are concert clips, Ed Sullivan appearances or videos made years after the fact with miscellaneous footage. The clip for "Eight Days A Week", for example, is cut together from Shea Stadium footage (and The Beatles didn't even play "Eight Days A Week" at Shea!).
Something similar could easily be done with the Beach Boys. In fact the deluxe editions of "Sounds Of Summer" and "Pet Sounds" come with a skimpy DVD of live clips/promos already.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 05:16:49 PM »

OK, I'll give it a shot...

DVD 1

01  Surfin' Safari - 1962 One Man's Challenge TV appearance
02  Surfin' U.S.A. - 1963 Red Skelton Show
03  In My Room - 1964 Steve Allen Show
04  Fun, Fun, Fun - 1964 The Lost Concert
05  Surfer Girl - 1964 The Lost Concert
06  Don't Worry Baby - 1964 American Bandstand
07  Little Honda - 1964 Girls On The Beach movie
08  The Lonely Sea - 1964 Girls On The Beach movie
09  Wendy - 1964 Ed Sullivan Show
10  I Get Around - 1964 T.A.M.I. Show
11  Dance, Dance, Dance - 1964 T.A.M.I. Show
12  When I Grow Up (To Be A Man) - 1964 Ready Steady Go! TV Show
13  Little Saint Nick - 1964 Shindig  
14  Do You Wanna Dance - 1965 Shindig
15  Please Let Me Wonder - 1965 Shindig
16  Help Me, Rhonda - 1965 Shindig
17  California Girls (with skit) - 1965 Jack Benny Show
18  Barbara Ann - 1965 Jack Benny Show
19  Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring - 1966 Andy Williams Show
20  Sloop John B - 1966 promotional video

DVD 2

01  Surf's Up - 1967 Inside Pop TV Show
02  Do It Again - 1968 Ed Sullivan Show
03  Good Vibrations - 1968 Ed Sullivan Show
04  I Can Hear Music - 1969 Mike Douglas Show
05  Heroes And Villains - 1971 Concert In Central Park
06  Forever - 1971 Concert In Central Park
07  Don't Go Near The Water - 1971 video
08  You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone - 1972 video
09  It's O.K. - 1976 NBC-TV Special
10  Rock And Roll Music - 1979 Midnight Special
11  Angel Come Home - 1979 Midnight Special
12  Good Timin' - 1980 Knebworth Concert
13  Keepin' The Summer Alive - 1980 Friday's TV Show
14  Goin' On - 1980 - Friday's TV Show
15  Getcha Back - 1985 Solid Gold TV Show
16  Wouldn't It Be Nice - 1985 Live Aid Concert
17  California Dreamin' - 1986 video
18  Kokomo - 1988 video
19  God Only Knows - 1989 Endless Summer TV Show
20  That's Why God Made The Radio - 2012 video
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:23:12 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 10:54:02 PM »

DVD 1

DVD 2

18  Kokomo - 1988 video

I would buy that! Probably too good to happen in BB-Land, though.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 11:24:13 PM »

DVD 1

DVD 2

18  Kokomo - 1988 video

Nice.
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 03:14:12 PM »

Well I'd hope that some of the bad errors that "crept into"  The Beatles set would not pass Alan and Mark by.
Always crap to have to moan when something like this has been put together but the "pitch corrected" Please Please Me has caused some talking, the wrong edit outro of 8 Days A week that's also out of time and the hair ! There are some other really bad clunkers which make you smack you're head against the wall and wonder wtf they're doing. Alongside some super spiffing stuff !
So I guess I'm saying as long as it's carefully put together then I don't mind. Can't say I have much interest in anything post-Holland though.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 07:30:17 PM »

Well I'd hope that some of the bad errors that "crept into"  The Beatles set would not pass Alan and Mark by.
Always crap to have to moan when something like this has been put together but the "pitch corrected" Please Please Me has caused some talking, the wrong edit outro of 8 Days A week that's also out of time and the hair ! There are some other really bad clunkers which make you smack you're head against the wall and wonder wtf they're doing. Alongside some super spiffing stuff !
So I guess I'm saying as long as it's carefully put together then I don't mind. Can't say I have much interest in anything post-Holland though.

I assume you're talking about Please Please Me from the Sullivan show. All previous versions of this sound like the guys were tuned in E flat instead of E. I thought maybe they did this to save wear and tear on their voices, but now....
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 08:20:20 PM »

How about a compelation that is different? Something like:

Chug a Lug
Coo Coo Clock
Lonely Sea
Stoked
Your Summer Dreams
Custom Machine
We'll Run Away

All Dressed Up for School
Pom Pom Play Girl
Don't Hurt My Little Sister
She Knows Me Too Well
In the Back of My Mind
Girl from New York City
Summer Means New Love

That's Not Me
Hang On to Your Ego
Pet Sounds
Wind Chimes (Smile Sessions)
Vegetables (Smile Sessions)
Woody Wood Peckers Symphony
A Time to Live In Dreams

Aren't You Glad
Country Air
Let the Wind Blow
Be Here in the Morning
Anna Lee the Healer
Diamond Head
Sail Plane

Never Learn Not to Love
Time to Get Alone
Celebrate the News
This Whole World
It's About Time
All I Wanna Do
Don't Go Near the Water

Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again
My Solution
Hold On Dear Brother
Big Sur/Beaks of Eagles/California Saga

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 08:32:24 PM »

Yeah, I'm getting quite sick of the laundry list of compilations of late.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 06:29:49 AM »

Well I'd hope that some of the bad errors that "crept into"  The Beatles set would not pass Alan and Mark by.

Not to get off topic, but seeing as everything on the Beatles set consists of remixes, I wouldn't say there's any egregious errors in that department on the set. Giles Martin has explained most of the anomalies that fans are hearing. The whole thing audio-wise is so altered (and I like it), I would expect some weird anomalies. "Free As a Bird" uses a different take of George's lead vocal, "Real Love" has different guitar licks mixed in, etc. Interestingly, those are the two tracks Giles Martin didn't mix; those were mixed by Jeff Lynne and his engineer.

Much weirder on the Beatles set is the schizophrenic video mastering, with some videotape sources being mastered at 24 or 30fps and kinda looking like film, while some film sources have been mastered as 60fps, and/or have been sped-up to match the pitch of the song and occasionally look a bit like a "Keystone Cops" film. It's all over the place.

Still a lovely set, though.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 02:22:05 PM »

Sloop John B
Pet Sounds
Good Vibrations
Friends
I Can Hear Music

My idea would be:

I'd love to see an big documentary like that.  I thought that's what the Boys were doing in 2012, but all we got was Doin in Again.  Which, for essentially a tour promo, wasn't bad.  But, with the sides divided again, I'd say we'll just have to make due with Endless Harmony. 

The only thing I'll disagree with you on is that I'd like the promo clips to be separate from the documentary. 
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 02:37:29 PM »

Yeah, I'm getting quite sick of the laundry list of compilations of late.

Um...I said DVD collection.

"Here's your mission, should you choose to accept it: fill up 2 mythical DVD's of Beach Boy clips and promo films. Keep it to the classic period of 1961 to 1974. There should be more than enough to fill up 2 discs."
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 05:52:33 PM »

DVD 1

DVD 2

18  Kokomo - 1988 video

Nice list. I'd add/modify the following:

Friends – Mike Douglas
Little Bird – Mike Douglas
Bluebirds Over The Mountain – Star Parade TV show, Munich
Darlin' – Twien TV Show, Amsterdam
Wouldn't It Be Nice - Twien TV Show, Amsterdam
God Only Knows - Twien TV Show, Amsterdam
Wake The World – Mike Douglas
Time To Get Alone - promo
Break Away – NRCV TV Studio, Amsterdam
Cotton Fields - NRCV TV Studio, Amsterdam
Celebrate The News – Mike Douglas
Slip On Through – Dennis Wholey Show
Add Some Music – Get It Together ABC TV Show
Tears In The Morning – Top of the Pops
Cool, Cool Water – David Frost
Surf's Up – Grand Gala Du Disque, Amsterdam
Wild Honey – Crystal Palace Bowl

M.I.A. Sad
Forever -  David Frost
Fallin' In Love -  David Frost
Vegetables -  David Frost

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2015, 06:14:49 PM »

Like a super extended Endless Harmony?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx