gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:29:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What if there were no Stamos?  (Read 20225 times)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 02, 2015, 02:59:23 PM »

Where did the idea that John Stamos is a D lister come from?  Sure, he didn't have Steve Martin's career (but Steve, to be fair is in rarefied atmosphere anyway).  But in the 20 years Full House has been off the air, he has never been without work. Broadway, TV, commercials. Some of that TV included several seasons on ER, where he shared scenes with legit greats like Forrest Whitaker. He is not having to move to Branson to do his own variety show (looking at you, Barry Williams) or celebrity reality TV shows (the ACTUAL home of the D listers).  The truth is, most successful performers only really get to do one really successful project. John Ritter is best known for Three's Company despite having career beyond that show. Why isn't he being pelted with the barbs that Stamos gets?

Basically, the BB/Stamos bromance does John as much of a disservice as it does to the BB.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 02, 2015, 02:59:50 PM »

If there were no Stamos, it would be necessary to invent him........to blame........

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 02, 2015, 04:02:04 PM »

Where did the idea that John Stamos is a D lister come from? 

A quick scan of imdb shows that much of his work has been in tv movies and guest star appearances in lesser tv shows. He is a D lister.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2015, 05:16:07 PM »

Where did the idea that John Stamos is a D lister come from? 

A quick scan of imdb shows that much of his work has been in tv movies and guest star appearances in lesser tv shows. He is a D lister.
[/quote

Friends, Glee, and ER were lesser TV shows? On what planet? D listers do celebrity cooking shows with Urkel and Carlton. Stamos is not in that category.

Adds some 🎼 to your day
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2015, 05:30:39 PM »

John Ritter is best known for Three's Company despite having career beyond that show. Why isn't he being pelted with the barbs that Stamos gets?

Googled John Ritter lately Andy?

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2015, 05:39:58 PM »

Where did the idea that John Stamos is a D lister come from?  Sure, he didn't have Steve Martin's career (but Steve, to be fair is in rarefied atmosphere anyway).  But in the 20 years Full House has been off the air, he has never been without work. Broadway, TV, commercials. Some of that TV included several seasons on ER, where he shared scenes with legit greats like Forrest Whitaker. He is not having to move to Branson to do his own variety show (looking at you, Barry Williams) or celebrity reality TV shows (the ACTUAL home of the D listers).  The truth is, most successful performers only really get to do one really successful project. John Ritter is best known for Three's Company despite having career beyond that show. Why isn't he being pelted with the barbs that Stamos gets?

Basically, the BB/Stamos bromance does John as much of a disservice as it does to the BB.
Ritter was never a Rolling Stone.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 02, 2015, 05:47:36 PM »

Friends, Glee, and ER were lesser TV shows? On what planet?

The same planet where mega hits such as Jake in Progress, Thieves and The New Normal are produced. Stamos may get regular work but he is a cult actor mainly remembered for a show that is nearly 30 years old.
D lister.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 05:50:10 PM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: November 02, 2015, 06:03:22 PM »

Friends, Glee, and ER were lesser TV shows? On what planet?

The same planet where mega hits such as Jake in Progress, Thieves and The New Normal are produced. Stamos may get regular work but he is a cult actor mainly remembered for a show that is nearly 30 years old.
D lister.

Gotta agree with Nixon here. Maybe if we compromised and settled on "C-lister?" Hes only known because of a very polarizing show from 30 years ago. It doesnt matter how popular friends or whatever are if he was only a cameo or bit part in them. That also is "bargain bin actor" territory.

John Ritter is best known for Three's Company despite having career beyond that show. Why isn't he being pelted with the barbs that Stamos gets?

As Emily said, he never made a point of trying to live out a youth fantasy being a rock star to the detriment of all but a select few in the audience and the band's reputation. If John Ritter or Henry Winkler or Steve Urkel were getting up on stage with the 3 remaining Beatles throughout the 90s on a regular basis theyd be getting laughed at and criticized too.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 06:05:47 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 02, 2015, 06:04:15 PM »

Googled John Ritter lately Andy?

Yes, I know he died.

Adds some 🎼 to your day
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 02, 2015, 06:14:27 PM »

I hope Mr. Stamps gets help regarding his drinking

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2015, 06:35:31 PM »

As Emily said, he (John Ritter) never made a point of trying to live out a youth fantasy being a rock star to the detriment of all but a select few in the audience and the band's reputation.

I think you have it backwards. If - if - John Stamos misses a beat on drums or plays a wrong chord on guitar or goofs up on percussion, only a select few would notice, probably less than 1% of the audience, if that. Before my point is misconstrued, I'm not claiming that Stamos is a great musician. What he does contribute musically, which is in reality minimal, is not poor. I wish Scott Totten would come on to verify this point, but we don't hear from Scott too much anymore. Gee, I wonder why?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2015, 06:37:07 PM »

I hope Mr. Stamps gets help regarding his drinking

Maybe Mr. Love can start mentioning that in every single interview, and then after Stamos gets help for the drinking and sobers up, he can continue to mention it in every single subsequent interview.  

In all seriousness, I truthfully hope Stamos gets healthy and sober too. I think that after one more DUI, that Mike might in fact say something *once* in the press, hoping his friend gets help.  

I somehow doubt Mike's gonna go overboard the way he does when talking about Brian. Unfortunately, while he'll never admit such, IMO it seems that ancient, lingering resentments against the Wilsons creep into Mike's anti-drug speak, whether in terms of frequency, or the context in which it's brought up - however inadvertently this may be. I don't think the resentments and his genuine caring (I absolutely think that he has genuine caring feelings in him) are mutually exclusive; they unfortunately overlap like a Venn diagram, and cloud his reasoning, making him oblivious to how it comes off.

While some might like to do so, it can't logically be 100% explained away simply as Mike having an obsession against substances, and thus a purely noble/insatiable urge to bring it up - especially when observing the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous video, filmed at an unarguably low point in the Wilson/Love relationship. I thus don't see any type of similar repeated, non-stop Stamos drug usage mentioning happening by Mike in future interviews to the degree that it happens with the Brian/Dennis mentioning, because there appears to be no resentment or bad history between the guys.

If one wants to say that Stamos has nowhere near the substance problems as the Wilsons did, that may be true - but if Mike really was as obsessed with people he cares about being clean and not going down the road of ruin (and if Mike's drug mentioning obsession has ZERO to do with any Wilson resentment, or Mike desiring to make himself look more noble/praiseworthy by comparison), one would be hard pressed to find a reason why Mike hasn't started mentioning Stamos having problems in the press, if indeed Mike's history of drug mentioning is in fact purely just about warm and fuzzy caring. Does anyone really think this is the case?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 10:21:08 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2015, 06:52:31 PM »

If there were no Stamos, it would be necessary to invent him........to blame........

Turds floating in a bucket Cam.    Wink   That's what that was.  Evil

Funny though. LOL

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2015, 06:54:25 PM »

So according to this article, Stamos had two drugs in his system. And then there was his cocaine scandal in 2010.

http://defamer.gawker.com/john-stamos-got-popped-for-driving-under-the-influence-1735406920

http://gawker.com/5585474/john-stamos-alleged-adventures-in-underage-sex-and-cocaine

Mr. Positivity/health conscious/ TM guru Mike outta walk the talk and ban appearances with Mr. Stamos.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2015, 07:33:52 PM »

All good bossy, just reminding you not to pigeonhole all us women in together.  That would be like, I don't know, clumping all you Americans together...     Looking back on previous posts, you might be on to something with whoever you were addressing.

Lee, it's GREAT to know that the whole ML pantomiming thing never got off the ground.  Somebody mentioned his 'uncle' look, even then.  I get that.  Smiley  It must be great to get around so blissfully unaware of oneself.  If I could just have a dose of that for one day.  

Chick with the rainbow hair, I just don't tell people I'm into TBB.  It would never be understood.  (When pressured once I said; "Oh, you probably won't know him, one of the greatest composers of the 21st century, Brian Wilson."   The reply; "Yeah, you're right.  I'm not into that kind of music."

Chick with the blonde hair, yeah Ive learned to do that as well. Just use the name Brian Wilson, not the Beach Boys. Or talk about SMiLE not as "a lost Beach Boys album that couldve changed rock history" but as "a lost psychedelic album as far out as anything Pink Floyd or Jimi ever did, in its own unique way." Still irritating that once they learn the "truth" a lot of them never make an effort to listen. f*** people sometimes.

the point is that a teen idol actor has no place in a legendary band
But it's ok for actor Steve Martin to play bluegrass on banjo with Edie Brickell, Steel Canyon Ranchers and Martin Short on tour, or  former President Bill Clinton to jam on sax on Arsenio Hall or with indie electronica band M83?

Everyone has to stay "in their place?"

Seriously.  LOL

big difference. Steve Martin is actually a quite talented musician and songwriter who was playing the banjo before his comedy career took off, and he incorporated the banjo into his act basically from the beginning. he treats the music with respect and reverence, which is not something you would expect from a zany comedian such as he.

meanwhile, Stamos is content to ham it up onstage with Mike and Bruce while the actual musicians do all the work. we've seen the photos where his guitar is not even plugged in. his drumming is barely passable and most of us have heard the stories of Carl rolling his eyes while Stamos did his schtick.

Bill Clinton? you can probably count the number of times he has blown sax in public on one hand. he is the epitome of cameo appearances. no comparison whatsoever, especially since he can actually play.

your constant gushing and rushing to the defense of "uncle Jesse" is so predictable, so played out. we get it. you're a female and you find him attractive. he got The Beach Boys on TV in the 80s and has therefore earned the right to perform with the band indefinitely and appear in their promo shots, unlike the actual musicians in the group.

seriously. LOL

Seriously, first I've seen Steve Martin. Going back to his early days in comedy. He used the banjo as part of his act.  I see little difference and that is a matter of personal taste. Many men don't like him. I wonder why.

Second, the character Stamos played in FH had a band. Even playing with some of the long BB backing band musicians, including Gary Griffin who was in L & M.

Third I don't appreciate the sexist remarks. Yes, women are outnumbered on this forum, but that should not diminish their viewpoints. I thought I was clear earlier when I said I "became a Stamos fan 'after' I saw the way in which he showed extraordinary kindness to special needs kids and adults." I "followed his career." There is a difference.

Really? An A-list (or former anyway) actor in tons of household name movies, big for decades, iconic roles...is the same as Uncle Jessie?? What else has he been in since Full House? Nothing worth noting. Ok, so Uncle Jessie had a band. They sounded terrible in the show, were never successful in the show, were mostly a background plot device to show that Jessie was "cool"* and thats it. I really dont see how that somehow justifies the lame, forced cameos, or his reappearance in their tours.

Didn't you know Jessie and the Rippers had a number one record in Japan with "Forever"? Want to to talk about a group that was never shown as successful on their own tv show? Talk Monkees. 4 guys sharing a beach front apartment, always looking for work, can't even pay the rent on time.

Ok, first of all youre focusing on one throwaway line at the expense of the whole of my post.

Second, they were still unsuccessful for the majority of the shows run, the same song only went #99 in the US, they never had another hit and they kicked him out of his own band.

Third, youve got me recalling fucking Full House. I now hate you.
Take comfort, you're not alone.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2015, 07:39:35 PM »

Turds floating in a bucket Cam.    Wink   That's what that was.  Evil

Funny though. LOL

Ha.  Lee, the compassion around here for Mr. Stamos is quite touching ain't it.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2015, 07:50:52 PM »

As Emily said, he (John Ritter) never made a point of trying to live out a youth fantasy being a rock star to the detriment of all but a select few in the audience and the band's reputation.

I think you have it backwards. If - if - John Stamos misses a beat on drums or plays a wrong chord on guitar or goofs up on percussion, only a select few would notice, probably less than 1% of the audience, if that. Before my point is misconstrued, I'm not claiming that Stamos is a great musician. What he does contribute musically, which is in reality minimal, is not poor. I wish Scott Totten would come on to verify this point, but we don't hear from Scott too much anymore. Gee, I wonder why?

Ok, and that right there, what Ive emphasized should be the end of the thread. Hes not a good musician...yet hes allowed to goof it up onstage because he plugged the band a few times on an old TV show. You really dont see how desperate and stupid that makes the band look? If it were a one-off show, even a one-off tour, itd be one thing. But as it is, its like a bunch of old guys parading around LAST generation's icon of cool* as a lame attempt to show the kids how hip and groovy they are. Its like grandpa trying to tag along with your friends, or Pink Floyd offering an honorary spot in the band to one of the Brady Bunch kids. Its just embarassing. If he could actually play well enough to justify BEING PART OF A PROFESSIONAL BAND itd be understandable at least. But as you admit, hes not. In fact, everyone's argument in favor of his inclusion seems to boil down to "well its a slight possibility he maybe turned a few people unto the band" to which I say lets let every celebrity who ever said they loved the Beatles to join the band. Or "aw c'mon...hes such a nice guy tho" to which I say so is my uncle...but he doesnt belong on stage either, unless they invite someone on stage to help out for a song in a one-off show. Which is all Uncle Jessie shouldve gotten in the first place. The only legitimate argument for him being there is he attracts the ladies, but even then it makes the band come off as pretty insecure that they dont trust the music to speak for itself and rely on some eye-candy to boost sales. If not cheer-leaders, its Stamos. Maybe next time they should have both. And tentacle porn. Cuz remember, Uncle Jessie had an imaginary #1 hit in Japan. On a TV show. From 30 years ago. That had two little girls upstage everyone else.

*And again, Uncle Jessie is more like a 10 year old's idea of cool
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 07:52:31 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 02, 2015, 08:09:09 PM »

James Watt was right....... LOL

"Watt, without mentioning the Boys by name, unabashedly announced that all rock bands attracted ”the wrong element” and opted for a ”wholesome” program with Wayne Newton. ”We’re not going to encourage drug abuse and alcoholism,” Watt sniffed, ”as was done in the past.”
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx