gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:21:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What if there were no Stamos?  (Read 20221 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2015, 06:39:30 AM »

In my opinion, the "emotional burden' would be minimal.  As I posted/opined before, any litigation that involved taking the license back from Mike would've been largely a financial dispute, which is the reason for almost every dispute in the history of the Beach Boys. If it was true - and I don't necessarily believe it - Mike left several large "deals" on the table and potentially "hurt the brand" by reverting to touring without Brian and Al, thus keeping BRI from maximizing profit. It's a matter of dollars and cents, lost revenue if you will. The court case would've involved testimony from promoters, accountants, and actuaries - not Brian Wilson or Al Jardine.

I don't think it ever would've come to this, but it would've been a huge mistake for Brian's handlers to claim that Brian wanted to continue to tour because he was having fun, fun, fun. An email to Mike Love stating otherwise, Brian's on-stage "behavior" at concerts (like the one I attended where he tried to bolt the stage, only to be "intercepted" by Jeff Foskett), and testimony from other witnesses (doctors?) who might've seen some physical/emotional exhaustion after seventy-five shows would've been reasons to not go there.

Brian probably could've gotten away with a deposition and that would've been entirely composed by an attorney. Actually, I think Brian would have to ask his attorney if he even wanted to know how things were going as I don't think he would've ever entered a courtroom. And, if this litigation was begun in 2012 when "the sh-- hit the fan", it would've been settled by now. 
SJS, name the handlers you saw at your C50 show.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 06:50:27 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 01, 2015, 07:38:17 AM »

The band survived decades of public display of its own embarrassing behaviors, I doubt the occasional appearance with a handsome well known uber fan is a problem with the band's image/legacy.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2015, 10:59:36 AM »

All good bossy, just reminding you not to pigeonhole all us women in together.  That would be like, I don't know, clumping all you Americans together...     Looking back on previous posts, you might be on to something with whoever you were addressing.

Lee, it's GREAT to know that the whole ML pantomiming thing never got off the ground.  Somebody mentioned his 'uncle' look, even then.  I get that.  Smiley  It must be great to get around so blissfully unaware of oneself.  If I could just have a dose of that for one day.  

Chick with the rainbow hair, I just don't tell people I'm into TBB.  It would never be understood.  (When pressured once I said; "Oh, you probably won't know him, one of the greatest composers of the 21st century, Brian Wilson."   The reply; "Yeah, you're right.  I'm not into that kind of music."
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 11:03:56 AM by bonnie bella » Logged
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: November 01, 2015, 12:24:51 PM »

All good bossy, just reminding you not to pigeonhole all us women in together.  That would be like, I don't know, clumping all you Americans together...     Looking back on previous posts, you might be on to something with whoever you were addressing.

Lee, it's GREAT to know that the whole ML pantomiming thing never got off the ground.  Somebody mentioned his 'uncle' look, even then.  I get that.  Smiley  It must be great to get around so blissfully unaware of oneself.  If I could just have a dose of that for one day.  

Chick with the rainbow hair, I just don't tell people I'm into TBB.  It would never be understood.  (When pressured once I said; "Oh, you probably won't know him, one of the greatest composers of the 21st century, Brian Wilson."   The reply; "Yeah, you're right.  I'm not into that kind of music."

Chick with the blonde hair, yeah Ive learned to do that as well. Just use the name Brian Wilson, not the Beach Boys. Or talk about SMiLE not as "a lost Beach Boys album that couldve changed rock history" but as "a lost psychedelic album as far out as anything Pink Floyd or Jimi ever did, in its own unique way." Still irritating that once they learn the "truth" a lot of them never make an effort to listen. f*** people sometimes.

the point is that a teen idol actor has no place in a legendary band
But it's ok for actor Steve Martin to play bluegrass on banjo with Edie Brickell, Steel Canyon Ranchers and Martin Short on tour, or  former President Bill Clinton to jam on sax on Arsenio Hall or with indie electronica band M83?

Everyone has to stay "in their place?"

Seriously.  LOL

big difference. Steve Martin is actually a quite talented musician and songwriter who was playing the banjo before his comedy career took off, and he incorporated the banjo into his act basically from the beginning. he treats the music with respect and reverence, which is not something you would expect from a zany comedian such as he.

meanwhile, Stamos is content to ham it up onstage with Mike and Bruce while the actual musicians do all the work. we've seen the photos where his guitar is not even plugged in. his drumming is barely passable and most of us have heard the stories of Carl rolling his eyes while Stamos did his schtick.

Bill Clinton? you can probably count the number of times he has blown sax in public on one hand. he is the epitome of cameo appearances. no comparison whatsoever, especially since he can actually play.

your constant gushing and rushing to the defense of "uncle Jesse" is so predictable, so played out. we get it. you're a female and you find him attractive. he got The Beach Boys on TV in the 80s and has therefore earned the right to perform with the band indefinitely and appear in their promo shots, unlike the actual musicians in the group.

seriously. LOL

Seriously, first I've seen Steve Martin. Going back to his early days in comedy. He used the banjo as part of his act.  I see little difference and that is a matter of personal taste. Many men don't like him. I wonder why.

Second, the character Stamos played in FH had a band. Even playing with some of the long BB backing band musicians, including Gary Griffin who was in L & M.

Third I don't appreciate the sexist remarks. Yes, women are outnumbered on this forum, but that should not diminish their viewpoints. I thought I was clear earlier when I said I "became a Stamos fan 'after' I saw the way in which he showed extraordinary kindness to special needs kids and adults." I "followed his career." There is a difference.

Really? An A-list (or former anyway) actor in tons of household name movies, big for decades, iconic roles...is the same as Uncle Jessie?? What else has he been in since Full House? Nothing worth noting. Ok, so Uncle Jessie had a band. They sounded terrible in the show, were never successful in the show, were mostly a background plot device to show that Jessie was "cool"* and thats it. I really dont see how that somehow justifies the lame, forced cameos, or his reappearance in their tours.

*as in, a ten year old's idea of "cool"

I agree that making assumptions about you because of your gender was out of line. But whether it be attraction or respect for his work with kids, it seems like youre giving the guy extra brownie points and not looking at the whole situation objectively.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 12:26:21 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2015, 01:10:26 PM »

Chick with the blonde hair, yeah Ive learned to do that as well. Just use the name Brian Wilson, not the Beach Boys. Or talk about SMiLE not as "a lost Beach Boys album that couldve changed rock history" but as "a lost psychedelic album as far out as anything Pink Floyd or Jimi ever did, in its own unique way." Still irritating that once they learn the "truth" a lot of them never make an effort to listen. f*** people sometimes.

But it's ok for actor Steve Martin to play bluegrass on banjo with Edie Brickell, Steel Canyon Ranchers and Martin Short on tour, or  former President Bill Clinton to jam on sax on Arsenio Hall or with indie electronica band M83?

Seriously.  LOL

big difference. Steve Martin is actually a quite talented musician and songwriter who was playing the banjo before his comedy career took off, and he incorporated the banjo into his act basically from the beginning. he treats the music with respect and reverence, which is not something you would expect from a zany comedian such as he.

meanwhile, Stamos is content to ham it up onstage with Mike and Bruce while the actual musicians do all the work. we've seen the photos where his guitar is not even plugged in. his drumming is barely passable and most of us have heard the stories of Carl rolling his eyes while Stamos did his schtick.

Bill Clinton? you can probably count the number of times he has blown sax in public on one hand. he is the epitome of cameo appearances. no comparison whatsoever, especially since he can actually play.

your constant gushing and rushing to the defense of "uncle Jesse" is so predictable, so played out. we get it. you're a female and you find him attractive. he got The Beach Boys on TV in the 80s and has therefore earned the right to perform with the band indefinitely and appear in their promo shots, unlike the actual musicians in the group.

seriously. LOL

Seriously, first I've seen Steve Martin. Going back to his early days in comedy. He used the banjo as part of his act.  I see little difference and that is a matter of personal taste. Many men don't like him. I wonder why.

Second, the character Stamos played in FH had a band. Even playing with some of the long BB backing band musicians, including Gary Griffin who was in L & M.

Third I don't appreciate the sexist remarks. Yes, women are outnumbered on this forum, but that should not diminish their viewpoints. I thought I was clear earlier when I said I "became a Stamos fan 'after' I saw the way in which he showed extraordinary kindness to special needs kids and adults." I "followed his career." There is a difference.

Really? An A-list (or former anyway) actor in tons of household name movies, big for decades, iconic roles...is the same as Uncle Jessie?? What else has he been in since Full House? Nothing worth noting. Ok, so Uncle Jessie had a band. They sounded terrible in the show, were never successful in the show, were mostly a background plot device to show that Jessie was "cool"* and thats it. I really dont see how that somehow justifies the lame, forced cameos, or his reappearance in their tours.

I agree that making assumptions about you because of your gender was out of line. But whether it be attraction or respect for his work with kids, it seems like youre giving the guy extra brownie points and not looking at the whole situation objectively.
When musicals were the mainstay of Hollywood, most did both acting and music.  When musicals went out of favor, actors did one thing or another, generally.  It isn't like an HBO series or made for TV business model.  Then it seemed mid 60's as though that concept of an actor doing anything related to music, was foreign. There was less of a crossover.  I never said Stamos was a movie A-lister but he does come with credentials.

Any show 30 years in global, not just US syndication is not nothing.   It is a sign of some type of business success whether people think he is cool now, or not.  I find him to be a decent human being. And yes, he gets big brownie points for treating special needs kids and adults with such kindness, that I found rarer in the world of education.   He isn't patronizing with them, but genuinely nice.  Yes, big brownie points. And, I'm a very tough grader.  LOL
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2015, 01:13:27 PM »

Seriously.  LOL

seriously. LOL

Didn't you know Jessie and the Rippers had a number one record in Japan with "Forever"? Want to to talk about a group that was never shown as successful on their own tv show? Talk Monkees. 4 guys sharing a beach front apartment, always looking for work, can't even pay the rent on time.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2015, 01:18:39 PM »

Listen, you all can argue all you want about the Stamos hypothetical, but the fact is, he's real. I can prove it: today I submitted an online form for an estimate for tree-trimming. To my delight, the auto-reply was from none other than [a] John Stamos. I like to think it's the John Stamos. Seems like an odd autumn gig for the guy, but hey, none of my business...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2015, 01:22:25 PM »

In my opinion, the "emotional burden' would be minimal.  As I posted/opined before, any litigation that involved taking the license back from Mike would've been largely a financial dispute, which is the reason for almost every dispute in the history of the Beach Boys. If it was true - and I don't necessarily believe it - Mike left several large "deals" on the table and potentially "hurt the brand" by reverting to touring without Brian and Al, thus keeping BRI from maximizing profit. It's a matter of dollars and cents, lost revenue if you will. The court case would've involved testimony from promoters, accountants, and actuaries - not Brian Wilson or Al Jardine.

I don't think it ever would've come to this, but it would've been a huge mistake for Brian's handlers to claim that Brian wanted to continue to tour because he was having fun, fun, fun. An email to Mike Love stating otherwise, Brian's on-stage "behavior" at concerts (like the one I attended where he tried to bolt the stage, only to be "intercepted" by Jeff Foskett), and testimony from other witnesses (doctors?) who might've seen some physical/emotional exhaustion after seventy-five shows would've been reasons to not go there.

Brian probably could've gotten away with a deposition and that would've been entirely composed by an attorney. Actually, I think Brian would have to ask his attorney if he even wanted to know how things were going as I don't think he would've ever entered a courtroom. And, if this litigation was begun in 2012 when "the sh-- hit the fan", it would've been settled by now. 

Sheriff, explain exactly what happened between Jeff and BW at the C50 show you saw?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2015, 01:34:45 PM »

Seriously.  LOL

seriously. LOL

Didn't you know Jessie and the Rippers had a number one record in Japan with "Forever"? Want to to talk about a group that was never shown as successful on their own tv show? Talk Monkees. 4 guys sharing a beach front apartment, always looking for work, can't even pay the rent on time.

Ok, first of all youre focusing on one throwaway line at the expense of the whole of my post.

Second, they were still unsuccessful for the majority of the shows run, the same song only went #99 in the US, they never had another hit and they kicked him out of his own band.

Third, youve got me recalling fucking Full House. I now hate you.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2015, 01:49:38 PM »

Seriously.  LOL

seriously. LOL

When musicals were the mainstay of Hollywood, most did both acting and music.  When musicals went out of favor, actors did one thing or another, generally.  It isn't like an HBO series or made for TV business model.  Then it seemed mid 60's as though that concept of an actor doing anything related to music, was foreign. There was less of a crossover.  I never said Stamos was a movie A-lister but he does come with credentials.

Any show 30 years in global, not just US syndication is not nothing.   It is a sign of some type of business success whether people think he is cool now, or not.  I find him to be a decent human being. And yes, he gets big brownie points for treating special needs kids and adults with such kindness, that I found rarer in the world of education.   He isn't patronizing with them, but genuinely nice.  Yes, big brownie points. And, I'm a very tough grader.  LOL

I have no idea what youre going on about in this first paragraph, or how its relevant.

Yes, it is. One hit show and nothing else of note? Lightning in a bottle, right place at the right time, not indicitive of his particular strength or charisma as an actor. Your point about "business success" would be better aimed at the showrunners, unless youre seriously equating that show's success to Uncle Jessie alone? Im willing to bet money the show would be just as successful if someone else played Uncle Jessie. I could be wrong, and I dont care, the point is to act like John Stamos himself is some guru of business is ludicrous.

Thats great you like him. Good for you, and Im not trying to convince you not to. The point is, this idea he revitalized the Beach Boys is insane. People see what they want to see "oh well he turned ME on, so it mustve been the case for others!" and "well, the show was popular, so it mustve turned MILLIONS on to the music" Theres no proof of any of it, just speculation and anecdotal evidence and wishful thinking. As others have said, the success of the GV boxset was due to SMiLE material and wanting all the old hits in one place. The album that had his Forever song was their worst selling and worst critically. You dont see anyone clammering for more Stamos in the live shows--except horny women, because hes the only handsome guy on a stage of 70 year old men. This isnt being mean, its just the way it is. And again, for few anecdotes of him turning people on, theres just as many if not more of him turning people off. And the bizarre situation of a goofy 80s actor being a mainstay over the founder, its bad for their image. Imagine as others have said, Pink Floyd with Screech or The Beatles with Corey Feldmen. Its a joke.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2015, 01:58:11 PM »

Seriously.  LOL

seriously. LOL

I have no idea what youre going on about in this first paragraph, or how its relevant.

Yes, it is. One hit show and nothing else of note? Lightning in a bottle, right place at the right time, not indicitive of his particular strength or charisma as an actor. Your point about "business success" would be better aimed at the showrunners, unless youre seriously equating that show's success to Uncle Jessie alone? Im willing to bet money the show would be just as successful if someone else played Uncle Jessie. I could be wrong, and I dont care, the point is to act like John Stamos himself is some guru of business is ludicrous.

Thats great you like him. Good for you, and Im not trying to convince you not to. The point is, this idea he revitalized the Beach Boys is insane. People see what they want to see "oh well he turned ME on, so it mustve been the case for others!" and "well, the show was popular, so it mustve turned MILLIONS on to the music" Theres no proof of any of it, just speculation and anecdotal evidence and wishful thinking. As others have said, the success of the GV boxset was due to SMiLE material and wanting all the old hits in one place. The album that had his Forever song was their worst selling and worst critically. You dont see anyone clammering for more Stamos in the live shows--except horny women, because hes the only handsome guy on a stage of 70 year old men. This isnt being mean, its just the way it is. And again, for few anecdotes of him turning people on, theres just as many if not more of him turning people off. And the bizarre situation of a goofy 80s actor being a mainstay over the founder, its bad for their image. Imagine as others have said, Pink Floyd with Screech or The Beatles with Corey Feldmen. Its a joke.
Did I say that Stamos revitalized them? No.

Did they require revitalization? Surely not.

He was, and is a "guest."

Few point of view are changed on this forum. 

His YouTube of Forever has over a million hits.  Not insignificant even if SIP did poorly in terms of sales. 
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2015, 02:11:34 PM »

Seriously.  LOL

seriously. LOL

His YouTube of Forever has over a million hits.  Not insignificant even if SIP did poorly in terms of sales. 

Thats the whole point of this thread. If youre not arguing for one side or the other, why even post here? Its nice you like him, and Im glad to hear hes a sweet guy. But all that does is drag the conversation off in a tangent.

Actually, Id say they did. Their career was hitting a renewed slump. I think the GV boxset and two-fers did more to help with renewed interest than a few cheap plugs, lame cameos and a lousy rerecording on Full House tho.

Ive changed my mind about a lot of things, actually. Certain SMiLE related stuff, was convinced to check out some of their later albums Id previously written off like Holland, and while you wouldnt know it by a lot of my posts, my view on Mike has even softened a lot. Im receptive to strong arguments tho, not "oh but hes such a nice guy" which in the grand scheme of things means nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmgJAGpHOek So does this video of an asian giant hornet in a box. So does a lot of things. And who actually bought the album or lists that as one of their favorite songs? Very very few if any. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_EdzOSSDV0 This is one of the worst songs ever and it has over two million views. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBYV_7a0FQs Theres another. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHS8hj4TdT8 and another. Youtube views mean almost nothing. This is anecdotal evidence, but my sister and some cousins still unashamedly love Full House and even they say they hated that music video and thought it was cringe-worthy. I hate the show and I agree wholeheartedly.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 01, 2015, 04:47:18 PM »

Seriously.  LOL

seriously. LOL

Thats the whole point of this thread. If youre not arguing for one side or the other, why even post here? Its nice you like him, and Im glad to hear hes a sweet guy. But all that does is drag the conversation off in a tangent.

Actually, Id say they did. Their career was hitting a renewed slump. I think the GV boxset and two-fers did more to help with renewed interest than a few cheap plugs, lame cameos and a lousy rerecording on Full House tho.

Ive changed my mind about a lot of things, actually. Certain SMiLE related stuff, was convinced to check out some of their later albums Id previously written off like Holland, and while you wouldnt know it by a lot of my posts, my view on Mike has even softened a lot. Im receptive to strong arguments tho, not "oh but hes such a nice guy" which in the grand scheme of things means nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmgJAGpHOek So does this video of an asian giant hornet in a box. So does a lot of things. And who actually bought the album or lists that as one of their favorite songs? Very very few if any. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_EdzOSSDV0 This is one of the worst songs ever and it has over two million views. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBYV_7a0FQs Theres another. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHS8hj4TdT8 and another. Youtube views mean almost nothing. This is anecdotal evidence, but my sister and some cousins still unashamedly love Full House and even they say they hated that music video and thought it was cringe-worthy. I hate the show and I agree wholeheartedly.
Mujan - I post here because it is a "community of interest" for music I love and there are many scholars and hands on eyewitnesses/actual support musicians who witnessed this great part of music in American society.  It accompanied me through high school, college, grad school, post grad, careerhood and parenthood, etc.

FH was not my favorite show. That would probably be inappropriate as a parent, or teacher. My kids watched it. My students watched it.  My music experience was in real time, and firsthand, and very different from yours. I heard much of this music first, on AM, then, later, much of it on FM radio.

A career "slump" is a blip on the screen in a fifty year plus career.  That post of yours is a personal attack. I like to look at "all sides" of the issues rather than only one, as the BB music came at us from more than one direction.  But, over time, the foolish stereotypes of different band members have stood in the way of the actual contributions they made. 
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2015, 06:15:56 PM »

Mujan - I post here because it is a "community of interest" for music I love and there are many scholars and hands on eyewitnesses/actual support musicians who witnessed this great part of music in American society.  It accompanied me through high school, college, grad school, post grad, careerhood and parenthood, etc.

FH was not my favorite show. That would probably be inappropriate as a parent, or teacher. My kids watched it. My students watched it.  My music experience was in real time, and firsthand, and very different from yours. I heard much of this music first, on AM, then, later, much of it on FM radio.

A career "slump" is a blip on the screen in a fifty year plus career.  That post of yours is a personal attack. I like to look at "all sides" of the issues rather than only one, as the BB music came at us from more than one direction.  But, over time, the foolish stereotypes of different band members have stood in the way of the actual contributions they made.

Im not talking about this board, but the thread. Sorry if I gave off the wrong idea. It just seems odd since the whole point of the thread is his impact of their careers, to not take a stance on either side of the issue.

"A career "slump" is a blip on the screen in a fifty year plus career."

That seems awfully specific, and I fail to see what that has to do with my opinion that the BEACH BOYS career in the 80s and 90s wasnt so hot. Did you think I was referring to Stamos? I mean...yeah...Id say only really being in one big show and thats it as an actor is kind of a significant slump too. Theres multiple "slumps" besides the scenario you list here.

"That post of yours is a personal attack."

How, exactly? All I said was you didnt really have a strong argument to why Stamos earns his place among the band, and if youre NOT arguing that, then to drop in on a thread dealing with such a topic just to say "I like Stamos. He's a nice guy!" is kinda irrelevant. Thats...really not a personal attack in any way.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2015, 09:18:49 PM »

Its also worth noting--since someone brought it up--that Mike is a goofball frontman and lacks that "cool" factor so many other frontmen and women have.

I was talking specifically about the glory days...63-70...before Jack Reiley.  [you know...when it mattered]  Carl was more the man through the early 70s when they re-established themselves as a great touring band.  Then things reverted and the group slowly but surely lost its foothold as one of the very top touring acts in the world.  You know when they stopped doing it Jack's way and once again did it Mike's way.

These days it doesn't matter and it works for me as Mike doesn't strut...or lisp...or 'do the jerk' and other passe dances which made him look like a balding go-go dancer on stage back when it mattered.  Back then it was like everyone else in the band was contributing to the music and Mike was just doing the watusi.  It was strange...and goofy. Roll Eyes

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2015, 09:31:30 PM »

But surely, Lee, he must have had SOME kind of fan base?  After all, he married so frequently.  Smiley

I once went to his official webpage ... and was blasted out of my seat with unsolicited music at high volume before the page had even opened.  So what kind of person is a Mike Love fan?  Does he have *many*?

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2015, 11:37:26 PM »

just to clarify, my comment about someone being female and finding Stamos attractive wasn't meant as a sexist remark. it's a simple fact that the majority of his fans are women. when he comes onstage at a Mike & Bruce show, or as a guest on The View or Ellen, it's mainly if not entirely women who are screaming and cheering for him. obviously there are also women who find him vain, smug, insincere, untalented, womanizing, etc. which could explain why he and the Lovester get along so famously.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 11:46:41 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 02, 2015, 01:44:05 AM »

just to clarify, my comment about someone being female and finding Stamos attractive wasn't meant as a sexist remark. it's a simple fact that the majority of his fans are women. when he comes onstage at a Mike & Bruce show, or as a guest on The View or Ellen, it's mainly if not entirely women who are screaming and cheering for him. obviously there are also women who find him vain, smug, insincere, untalented, womanizing, etc. which could explain why he and the Lovester get along so famously.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 02, 2015, 02:21:03 AM »

All good with me, bossy.  I'm just sayin'.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 02, 2015, 08:25:59 AM »

I don't mind John Stamos. And, prior to C50, I didn't mind him joining in on the occasional Beach Boy gig. I do mind the fact that he's treated as an honored guest while Brian and Al are shut out of their own band. And, I still want to know what was behind Nelson's epic Facebook rant against him.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: November 02, 2015, 10:21:54 AM »

I don't mind John Stamos. And, prior to C50, I didn't mind him joining in on the occasional Beach Boy gig. I do mind the fact that he's treated as an honored guest while Brian and Al are shut out of their own band. And, I still want to know what was behind Nelson's epic Facebook rant against him.

And now you got me wondering what Nelson's epic Facebook rant is. Screencaps anyone? Synopsis? Anything?

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Oswald Thatendswald
Smiley Smile Associate

I beat PEOPLE UP... to SAVE their LIFE!

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 02, 2015, 11:40:08 AM »

The band survived decades of public display of its own embarrassing behaviors, I doubt the occasional appearance with a handsome well known uber fan is a problem with the band's image/legacy.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

If my POST is not in any WAY FACTUAL... It's because I used POETIC LICENSE! Smiley Smiley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2015, 11:42:05 AM »

Hey, when I do I get my dimestore parody?Huh Roll Eyes

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2015, 12:24:27 PM »

And now you got me wondering what Nelson's epic Facebook rant is. Screencaps anyone? Synopsis? Anything?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17981.0.html

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: November 02, 2015, 12:44:09 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17981.0.html

many thanks

Edit: Ah...I actually was aware of this controversy before. I think its funny, whatever the circumstances. Like you just imagine him being like "Yippee! The one time I get to actually do anything of consequence!"
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:49:04 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx