gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:27:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rare (?) 1969 I Can Hear Music Promo Film  (Read 8038 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2015, 09:23:10 AM »

The "Revolver Records" channel on YouTube have posted (complete with ugly watermark) a 1969 "promo film" for "I Can Hear Music" that I don't think we've seen in full before (other than presumably when it aired). I'm not up on every scrap of video/film that floats around, so I can't say how rare this is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bXb-F8ivLQ

This channel has somehow come up with some pretty rare Beatles stuff lately, so I figured this BB item might also actually be relatively rare. It's certainly not the "studio" promo film that floats around (repurposed for the "Time to Get Alone" segment in "An American Band", which was the actual song apparently being recorded), nor is it the Beat Club or other in-studio European TV show type of things they were doing on that tour.

I think bits and pieces of this are seen in "Endless Harmony" among possibly other places.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:28:04 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 10:03:32 AM »

Wow!  I've never seen that.  One of my favorite BB songs.  Thanks for posting!

Lee
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 10:12:25 AM »

whoa this footage! does anyone know where this was filmed?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 10:13:06 AM »

Great find Jude!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 10:14:15 AM »

Gobsmacked! What a find!
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 10:58:44 AM »

Fantastic stuff! Never seen it before.

Bellagio mentions an Oct 2nd '68 session which was used for the 'I Can Hear Music' promo. Perhaps they just stepped outside for a quick romp through the park?

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 11:24:14 AM »

Bellagio mentions an Oct 2nd '68 session which was used for the 'I Can Hear Music' promo. Perhaps they just stepped outside for a quick romp through the park?

I have it on good word that there are shots of the guys in these same outfits in the raw footage shot by Vic Kettle from the 1969 European tour.  More to come...

Lee
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 11:36:13 AM »

Going to copy some of their dance moves.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 11:38:26 AM »

I can’t pull out “Endless Harmony” and watch right now, but was this footage/shoot also used for that little bit of footage seen near the end of “Endless Harmony” with Carl and Dennis getting up off the grass and leaving?

The “Revolver” channel on YouTube somehow has some pretty rare stuff. It got pulled down, but they had up some actual John Lennon 1980 studio footage (which seemed to be used in an unreleased version of the 1998 “I’m Losing You” promo video). They also posted clips from Furmanek’s unreleased 1992 “Let It Be” restoration, outtakes from the “Rain”, “Hello Goodbye”, and “Strawberry Fields Forever” promo films, and “Let It Be” outtake footage in color, different from the black and white stuff that has circulated for years.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:42:57 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 11:49:54 AM »

Really cool find. Thanks for posting the link. Wish Revolver TV used a much smaller logo.

Can anyone identify the exact filming location?

What is Al holding in his hand in the middle of the film? Looks like an alcoholic drink, like a screwdriver, with a plastic swizzle stick.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 11:53:18 AM »

I have it on good word that there are shots of the guys in these same outfits in the raw footage shot by Vic Kettle from the 1969 European tour.  More to come...

Lee

Carl is wearing the same shirt in Dezo Hoffman's June 18, 1969 photo of the guys standing next to the Danube in Bratislava, Czechoslovakia.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 12:16:14 PM »

Really cool find. Thanks for posting the link. Wish Revolver TV used a much smaller logo.

Can anyone identify the exact filming location?

What is Al holding in his hand in the middle of the film? Looks like an alcoholic drink, like a screwdriver, with a plastic swizzle stick.

Unfortunately, “Revolver” is just watermarking something that they don’t own in the first place. It’s definitely a watermark sort of a thing, not just a “bug” in the corner of the screen like TV channels use. There was a big debate about the watermarks over on the Steve Hoffman board. If you think the watermark on this BB clip is bad, check out a few of the Beatles clips. In a number of them, the “Revolver” watermark stretches across the entire screen!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:17:11 PM by HeyJude » Logged

TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 12:19:39 PM »

Mike looks like he's on the magic mushrooms  Cool Guy
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 12:30:24 PM »

I can’t pull out “Endless Harmony” and watch right now, but was this footage/shoot also used for that little bit of footage seen near the end of “Endless Harmony” with Carl and Dennis getting up off the grass and leaving?

The “Revolver” channel on YouTube somehow has some pretty rare stuff. It got pulled down, but they had up some actual John Lennon 1980 studio footage (which seemed to be used in an unreleased version of the 1998 “I’m Losing You” promo video). They also posted clips from Furmanek’s unreleased 1992 “Let It Be” restoration, outtakes from the “Rain”, “Hello Goodbye”, and “Strawberry Fields Forever” promo films, and “Let It Be” outtake footage in color, different from the black and white stuff that has circulated for years.

Was thinking of the EH doco myself. Like you its out of reach but isn't there a scene from another angle (side on) of the group jumping off a low wall? Can't recall if they are wearing summer or winter clothing.
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 12:33:06 PM »

I have to say, what a great find, really interesting.

I find it really interesting to see how rudimentary the editing and camera work was. The evolution of filming music promos is absolutely fascinating to me....

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 12:34:44 PM »

Super cool.

From a technical standpoint, I wonder how the band lip synced to the studio version for this. Was there a sound system blasting the record which they could hear the background and sing along to, in an attempt to time the singing to the recording?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 12:39:40 PM »

I have to say, what a great find, really interesting.

I find it really interesting to see how rudimentary the editing and camera work was. The evolution of filming music promos is absolutely fascinating to me....

It would be interesting to know if this film ever even aired, in this particular iteration anyway. It may be a rough cut or something. Certainly, the Beatles stuff they post is unreleased and unaired. On the other hand, a lot of their other stuff seems to be vintage TV shows (Sullivan, Shindig, etc.).

Non-studio films like this tend to be record label-funded/produced affairs, but it isn't impossible that TV station commissioned it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:42:17 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 12:40:07 PM »

It is so basic its likely they were at a hotel and got the call to go into the grounds and film the promo ASAP.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 12:41:51 PM »

Footage like this to me justifies why there should be a Beach Boys equivalent to the upcoming Beatles 1 collection.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 12:50:16 PM »

Was thinking of the EH doco myself. Like you its out of reach but isn't there a scene from another angle (side on) of the group jumping off a low wall? Can't recall if they are wearing summer or winter clothing.

Yes! Same shoot about 5 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P2rNmox86Q
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 01:06:26 PM »

Nope - I meant that the footage of that recording session was used for the "ICHM" promo.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 01:58:35 PM »

Lee

OK, as Lee says, this must be from the Vic Kettle unfinished/unreleased European Tour documentary that Jon Stebbins also mentions here:

That's all from the late '68 to '69 European tour documentary filmed by Vic Kettle...which was unreleased/unfinished...but snuck out for a minute via gray market a couple of years ago. The soundtrack is dubbed on top of the silent footage in a sometimes random and amateurish way...but that footage is gold. The doc. ran about 60 minutes...but there's another 60 to 90 minutes of unedited footage that exists.

Exactly what all is known about this documentary, and who has official access to it? How much has seen release, in one form or another, thus far?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:19:48 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2015, 02:52:43 PM »

"Unfortunately, this video is not available in your country because it could contain music from UMG, for which we could not agree on conditions of use with GEMA. "

God forbid some European ears would hear a tiny bit of UMG music! What a disaster that would be!

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 03:09:29 AM »

Excellent footage!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 07:22:19 AM »

I'm pretty sure in the Dennis montage in An American Band there's footage fo Dennis roller skating in the same outfit he's got on in this promo.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx