gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 06:06:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE (May 1967 Mono Mix)  (Read 7697 times)
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2015, 07:47:10 AM »

Hello, people of Smiley Smile Message Board, and far beyond!

Imagine that, somehow, in late 1967, Brian straightened himself out, gained enough confidence to make great music again, and decided to release what could have been SMiLE as a cohesive 12-track album, with all the material that was left in the vaults at that time. (I know that somewhere in 1968, Capitol supposedly burned a half-inch reel of tape containing Look (Master Vocals and Clarinet parts), Wonderful (possibly alternative takes/mixes), Cabin Essence (again, possibly alternative takes and mixes), and Surf's Up (alternate takes, maybe the rumored Pt. 2 w/ strings [if it exsited at all])).

Just pretend that Capitol burned those tapes in May 1967, not 1968, the boys insisted to record some vocals on "Cabin Essence" and "Surf's Up" at Wilson's home, and most of the tapes that are circultating currently are what Brian had to work with...

That's the scenerio I used to create a mono, 12-track, SMiLE album. I am not guaranteeing that this is how SMiLE would have definetlely been released in '67, since I am not Brian Wilson himself, but a mere fan of his music.

Side 1:

1. Prayer (one thing we definetely know FOR SURE is that "Our Prayer" or "Prayer" was going to open the album, unlisted or listed. I used The SMiLE Sessions version, but made a cut to follow a sequence that was presented in an acetate recording from Brian Wilson sourcing from 1966.)

2. Heroes and Villains (this, Vega-Tables, and The Elements single-handedly contributed to the demise of this project. Here and there, day by day, Wilson was always recording new "sections", changing sequence at random, making it harder for him to even complete an album utilizing the same approach he was using just to record "Heroes and Villains." I used the sequence that was presented on The SMiLE Sessions Box-Set in Disc 4. The Disc 4 mix sounds like an acetate, or a pairing up of various acetates, and the sequence itself is very solid, since it utilizies 75% of everything recorded in those turbulent sessions, under roughly 5 minutes. I DO KNOW that "Heroes and Villains Pt. 1 and 2" where out to be singles, but it wasn't uncommon for artists to have extended, "album" versions of their singles. Using this mindset, I cleaned up some musical inaccuracies, and edits, using parts from "Pt. 1 and 2." I extended the Swedish Frog section, I smoothed out a rough cut during the "Animals" section, I added some laughter during "Cantina" and I shortened the "Whistling Bridge" section to flow better musically to "My Children Were Raised/Often Wise" and then added the "Gee" section from "Pt. 2" instead of the rough outtake presented on the original Disc 4 mix. Wala! A working "album version" of Heroes and Villains!)

3. Vega-Tables (quite similiar to Smiley Smile's track order. I used the SMiLE Sessions mono mix, considering that 1967 Brian himself would've been satisfied with this mix. The only edit I made was that I faded put the song after the slow acepella version of "I know that you feel better when you send us in...." just like how BWPS ended.)

4. Do You Like Worms (I used the intro with the alternative "Worms" vocals from The SMiLE Sessions, till the harpsichord, when I use SNL's mono mix. I keep on continuing to use SNL's mono mix until the bass solo, where I use the SMiLE Sessions vocals as an extra "Rock, Rock, Roll" vocal, and then cut right back into the harpischord ending.)

5. Wonderful (I used The SMiLE Sessions mix, since they pretty much got it right!)

6. I'm In Great Shape (as SNL visualized, and oversaw, this is the 4-part barnyard suite that would've probably closed Side 1, so I used his mono mix, since he pretty much got it right as well!)

7. Cabin Essence (pretend Mike felt sorry for Brian's condition, and insisted to record lead on Cabin Essence in 1967. I do know that indeed, Mike Love recorded his lead in 1968. I again used the SMiLE Sessions mix, since it captures a typical 1960s production style so well, with all the cuts, and muddiness, I love it.)

I am halfway done this project, only delayed due to the tracklisting for Side 2. I would love you all to give feedback, and suggestions, and possibly disscuss about a Side 2 tracklisting that could flow, while still being historically accurate. Thank you!

The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 03:20:44 PM »

Well guys. I have came about with a working track-order for Side 2, but would still appericiate constructive critism on the tracklisting. I am complete Side 1, and am due to upload it on Vimeo soon.

Side 2

1. Good Vibrations (Single Edit)

2. Wind Chimes (SMiLE Sessions)

3. The Elements (Mrs. O' Leary's Cow from SMiLE Sessions, cut down to two repeats and an outro, then Water Chant, then the "I know that you feel better when" reprise till fade from Vega-Tables SMiLS Sessions, into Wind Chimes Piano Solo)

4. Child Is The Father of The Man (SMiLE Sessions)

5. The Old Master Painter (SMiLE Sessions)

6. Surf's Up (SMiLE Sessions)
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 06:17:22 PM »

Your track listing is fine - any track listing of Smile music is fine.   this is part of the point, or became part of the point, of Smile anyway - the fans playing with the various bits of music, working their own puzzle of it.   I personally would love to see an official interactive release similar to the old Project Smile. 
Anyway, I look forward to giving it a listen when you have uploaded it.   Smiley
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 10:19:31 AM »

I really like your second side particularly

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 05:33:53 PM »

Your track listing is fine - any track listing of Smile music is fine.   this is part of the point, or became part of the point, of Smile anyway - the fans playing with the various bits of music, working their own puzzle of it.   I personally would love to see an official interactive release similar to the old Project Smile. 
Anyway, I look forward to giving it a listen when you have uploaded it.   Smiley

An official "Project SMiLE" would be marvellous, but I'm sure this is where Brian'd halt it, due to his growing under-appreciation of the original SMiLE music these days. He's obviously looking into the future, and isn't the slightest interested in the past, especially if that past deals with.... I think we all know by now.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 05:41:49 PM »

I really like your second side particularly

Thank you very much. It is strange since I didn't put very little time and thought on that Side 2. I like my Side 1 better, since it sounds legitimate, considering what Van and Brian where concieving during 1966. Side 2 sounds less cohesive to my ears, but I guess that's just me.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 06:10:39 PM »

(I know that somewhere in 1968, Capitol supposedly burned a half-inch reel of tape containing Look (Master Vocals and Clarinet parts), Wonderful (possibly alternative takes/mixes), Cabin Essence (again, possibly alternative takes and mixes), and Surf's Up (alternate takes, maybe the rumored Pt. 2 w/ strings [if it exsited at all])).

Is it true that these were the sessions contained within that half-reel of tape?

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 01:55:39 PM »

(I know that somewhere in 1968, Capitol supposedly burned a half-inch reel of tape containing Look (Master Vocals and Clarinet parts), Wonderful (possibly alternative takes/mixes), Cabin Essence (again, possibly alternative takes and mixes), and Surf's Up (alternate takes, maybe the rumored Pt. 2 w/ strings [if it exsited at all])).

Is it true that these were the sessions contained within that half-reel of tape?

Sorry, I was making an educated guess on what sessions the tape probably contained, but Wiki did say that the tape contained alternate Wonderfuls, Surf's Ups, Cabin Essences...  The Look was probably an educated guess, considering the song was completed at one point, with vocals/clarinets...
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 09:59:10 AM »

Side 1 is up in Vimeo.... NOW!!!!:

https://vimeo.com/143823850

LOOK, LiSTEN, ViBRATE, SMiLE!!  LOL
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 10:46:23 AM »

I like it!  Smiley

The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 11:08:01 AM »

Sorry, I'll re-edit Side 1 due to volume issues...
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 12:25:26 PM »

Sorry, I was making an educated guess on what sessions the tape probably contained, but Wiki did say that the tape contained alternate Wonderfuls, Surf's Ups, Cabin Essences...  The Look was probably an educated guess, considering the song was completed at one point, with vocals/clarinets...
Either way, a true shame indeed.  Someone in charge of the archives should investigate, because Brian wouldn't do it.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 12:46:41 PM »

Yes! Get Mark on it! (By Mark, I mean Mark Linett, of course).
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 05:55:53 PM »

Either way, a true shame indeed.  Someone in charge of the archives should investigate, because Brian wouldn't do it.

Absolutely. If they havent already, every tape and every archive even possibly BB related should be listened to and cataloged. I know much is known to be missing too, and itll be hard if not impossible to track down.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 12:26:49 AM »

AAEERGGGHHHH.... where is it?? Cry
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 02:19:55 PM »

https://vimeo.com/143988714

Hopefully this link works....
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 02:22:28 PM »

Nevermind, Vimeo is a bitch in terms of uploading. Sorry for any further waiting. I did change Side 2, by adding Whispering Winds after the fade out of that Wind Chimes piano solo, and added You're Welcome to end the album.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 02:23:35 PM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 03:17:55 PM »

Guys, should Side B go like this:

1. Good Vibrations

2. Wind Chimes

3. Child Is The Father of The Man

4. The Elements (Mrs. O' Leary's Cow, Water Chant, My Vega-Tables, Wind Chimes Piano, Whispering Winds....)

5. The Old Master Painter

6. Surf's Up

(Unlisted: You're Welcome)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or just like how it originally was, which was:

1. Good Vibrations

2. Wind Chimes

3. The Elements

4. Child Is The Father of The Man

6. Surf's Up
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 03:23:31 PM »

Guys, should Side B go like this:

1. Good Vibrations

2. Wind Chimes

3. Child Is The Father of The Man

4. The Elements (Mrs. O' Leary's Cow, Water Chant, My Vega-Tables, Wind Chimes Piano, Whispering Winds....)

6. Surf's Up

(Unlisted: You're Welcome)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or just like how it originally was, which was:

1. Good Vibrations

2. Wind Chimes

3. The Elements

4. Child Is The Father of The Man

6. Surf's Up

Or even this

1. GV

2. WC

3. Child

4 Sunshine

5. Elements

6. Surf's Up

(7.) Welcome
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 12:43:29 AM »

Hopefully this link works....

I'm again having problem with this link! Am I stupid or something  Huh
This is frustrating, even more when you love smile mixes like me Grin
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 01:29:51 PM »

HERE IS SIDE 1: (FINALLY, SWEET JESUS!!)

https://vimeo.com/144187144

« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 06:32:03 AM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 06:54:20 AM »

HERE IS SIDE 1: (FINALLY, SWEET JESUS!!)

https://vimeo.com/144187144

And yes, I modified the tracklisiting a bit, but I'm happy with it.
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 01:13:24 PM »

I always try and sequence it as if it were 1966 - GV at the top of side two, Cabinessence ending side 1. 14 tracks. The elements not all on side 2. And I get rid of the 3 movements from 2004
Side 1
1. Our Prayer
2. Heroes and Villains
3. Vega-Tables
4. Do you dig worms?
5. Wonderful
6. The Old Master Painter/You were my sunshine
7. Cabinessence

Side 2
8. Good Vibrations
9. Wind Chimes
10. The Elements: Fire
11. I love to Say dada
12. Look
13. Child is the father of the man
14. Surf's Up
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 01:15:17 PM »

I like it.  The transition between Veggies and Cabin E left me wanting, but overall - excellent.  
Reiterates, for me, just how much ass Smile would have kicked if it had been accomplished in late 66, early 67.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »

I love your mix of Heroes and Villains, the lead vocals with Brian + Mike alternating between lines are just incredible. I feel like the fade-out to Vega-tables is a bit long though, but overall, I really like it so far, it kinda makes me want to put my mix up online...

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx