gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 11:09:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cast Your Vote - 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominee Fan Vote  (Read 10655 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2015, 12:36:57 AM »

I bet that Three Dog Night gets nominated for 2017, now that one of the three "main" members is gone. It's horrible to say, but it's true.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
KDS
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2015, 09:27:25 PM »

I bet that Three Dog Night gets nominated for 2017, now that one of the three "main" members is gone. It's horrible to say, but it's true.

It's sad, but you're right. 
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2015, 09:38:32 PM »

It's an odd mix of nominees.  Janet Jackson?  Is that some kind of joke?

Nobody really mentioned The Smiths, I assumed they might already be in there.  That's where my vote went anyway.

Three Dog Night, shoe-in.
KDS
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2015, 09:42:36 PM »

Bonnie,

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a bit of a joke.  The fact that they nominate non rock acts like Janet Jackson and Chic is a joke.  The fact that non rock acts like Madonna and Public Enemy are in is a joke. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2015, 11:11:57 PM »

I have good memories of taping the 1995  Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, back when it was still good. That year featured Frank Zappa, Neil Young, and Led Zeppelin, among a few more. A few years ago I watched the Hall of Fame induction, and Eminem was inducting Run DMC and calling them the rap version of The Beatles. I damn near puked.

bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2015, 11:18:12 PM »

Frank Zappa, Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, those names sound about right.  Sounds like the last twenty years have been pitiful.  Anyone notable recently?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2015, 11:34:58 PM »

Guns N' Roses were inducted. Three of the original members were there and performed. As a big GNR fan I thought that was pretty cool. Last year Ringo was inducted. Unfortunately his voice was shot that night and his performance wasn't that good.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2015, 02:36:16 AM »

Why get sad if favorite/deserved acts don't get inducted year after year? They will, eventually. Really though, what's rewarding about it? It isn't like it's the last instance to achieve mega status. & what's with ridiculous speculation that dead members=induction guarantee? There's no pattern.
Summer_Days, thanks for keeping it positive for a change.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2015, 10:03:45 AM »

I have good memories of taping the 1995  Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, back when it was still good. That year featured Frank Zappa, Neil Young, and Led Zeppelin, among a few more. A few years ago I watched the Hall of Fame induction, and Eminem was inducting Run DMC and calling them the rap version of The Beatles. I damn near puked.

Well, one of the members of Run DMC died.  So as usual, the Rock & Roll hall of fame figured it was time to exploi.... urgh, induct them. 

Meanwhile, Chubby Checker is stonewalled while he's still alive.

- The Twist was named by Billboard magazine in 2006, as the biggest chart hit OF ALL TIME
- Chubby had 5 different albums in the top 12, all at one time... a record
- Chubby has received a Grammy Award, Run DMC never received a Grammy
- He's been married to the same woman for 51 years, which in my opinion, speaks to his character
- the guy completely OWNS the dance craze, invented and popularized the twist, the hucklebuck, the fly, the pony, and the limbo.  All of this sh*t is uncool, now, but in the 50's and early 60's all of these dance moves completely dominated the nation.  There is not a kid alive who hasn't played the limbo.  His impact on children and teenagers is near 100% because of this...
- The Twist hit #1, twice.  Nothing else ever did.  It hit #2, AGAIN, in 1988 as a re-recording with the Fat Boys
- When he had 5 albums in the top 12  on the chart, the Beatles once had the top 5 SINGLES on the charts... their #1 when they did that was "Twist And Shout".... a cover of the song inspired by Checker's the Twist. 
- Before Chubby Checker, people danced holding hands, touching. After Chubby Checker, people danced 'apart to the beat', dancing with each other, but not touching.  This continues to today.  Chubby did for dancing what Brian Wilson did for production with Good Vibrations.  You literally can see his dance (5 different fads) laying the foundation to all the dancing done in nightclubs today. 

We put guys like Run DMC in who were great but had nowhere near the impact on music and society that Chubby Checker did.  Not only was he around right at the beginning, he literally completely changed the way the world dances.  When you play a song by any of these acts that are in the hall of fame, the crowd will dance apart to the beat out in the audience and all of that started with Chubby Checker.  He has the biggest single of all time according to Billboard.  He's the only guy to hit #1, twice, with the same song.  Blows my mind.

KDS
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2015, 05:08:53 AM »

Frank Zappa, Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, those names sound about right.  Sounds like the last twenty years have been pitiful.  Anyone notable recently?

In recent years, overlooked hard rock acts like Alice Cooper, Rush, and Kiss have been inducted. 
KDS
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2015, 07:51:55 AM »

Why get sad if favorite/deserved acts don't get inducted year after year? They will, eventually. Really though, what's rewarding about it? It isn't like it's the last instance to achieve mega status. & what's with ridiculous speculation that dead members=induction guarantee? There's no pattern.
Summer_Days, thanks for keeping it positive for a change.

As a passionate music fan, what bothers me about the RNRHOF is the lack of respect given to many rock acts.  It seems like they got it right for the first decade or so, inducting the obvious choices (ie.  Beatles, Beach Boys, Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Cream, CCR, The Yardbirds, etc). 

But, as the years went by, the elitist group of writers cared more about appearing hip that actually honoring bands who deserve the honor.  This is why we've seen rap groups get into while many hard rock, progressive rock, and heavy metal acts get ignored. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2015, 10:34:06 PM »

As a passionate music fan, what bothers me about the RNRHOF is the lack of respect given to many rock acts.  It seems like they got it right for the first decade or so, inducting the obvious choices (ie.  Beatles, Beach Boys, Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Cream, CCR, The Yardbirds, etc). 

But, as the years went by, the elitist group of writers cared more about appearing hip that actually honoring bands who deserve the honor.  This is why we've seen rap groups get into while many hard rock, progressive rock, and heavy metal acts get ignored. 
1st, let's be for a minute in their shoes. If, say, I were a famous singer with steady fanbase, obv. rich - why should I care about R&RHoF induction? If I don't get in - so what? It's fans who care more than the artists themselves. & I don't understands it. It's not our business, we MUST be indifferent about it, it's clear as a day. Big deal respect. On one hand, you all say it's a joke, then say it's sad? or vice versa. Well, that's sure very logical.

2nd, what do you mean "elitist"? What if they like actually those rap groups 'n' stuff (& no, I don't say it's right to include *rap*pers into *rock & roll* hall of fame)? Can't anyone be original & NOT considered hip? I read this about Pitchfork magazine. Even though none of their best of lists is purely 'weird' choices - in fact, half of it same old names - people still whine about it. Yet, many of them insist that "lists are irrelevant". I could argue that it's their taste. Not every critic has to like & likes popular songs such as Be My Baby etc. that get included in so-called "normal", "non-elitist" magazines. And again, the death of band members has got nothing to with decision of inducting them as an act. Let's not create stuff.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2015, 05:15:59 AM »

1st, let's be for a minute in their shoes. If, say, I were a famous singer with steady fanbase, obv. rich - why should I care about R&RHoF induction? If I don't get in - so what? It's fans who care more than the artists themselves. & I don't understands it. It's not our business, we MUST be indifferent about it, it's clear as a day. Big deal respect. On one hand, you all say it's a joke, then say it's sad? or vice versa. Well, that's sure very logical.

2nd, what do you mean "elitist"? What if they like actually those rap groups 'n' stuff (& no, I don't say it's right to include *rap*pers into *rock & roll* hall of fame)? Can't anyone be original & NOT considered hip? I read this about Pitchfork magazine. Even though none of their best of lists is purely 'weird' choices - in fact, half of it same old names - people still whine about it. Yet, many of them insist that "lists are irrelevant". I could argue that it's their taste. Not every critic has to like & likes popular songs such as Be My Baby etc. that get included in so-called "normal", "non-elitist" magazines. And again, the death of band members has got nothing to with decision of inducting them as an act. Let's not create stuff.

When I say "elitist," I tend to refer to hipster writers who seem to think that hard rock, progressive rock, and heavy metal are music for the unwashed masses, and should be ignored.  You're right, it's for the fans, and to exclude three huge subdivisions of rock and roll is a big slap in the face to their legions of fans.  If you're going to be the "rock and roll' Hall of Fame, you need to include all facets of rock and roll. 

Leaving out hard rock, progressive, and heavy metal (with a couple of exceptions) would be like the Baseball Hall of Fame deciding that they're not going to induct third basemen or catchers anymore. 

bluesno1fann
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2015, 11:52:55 PM »

Went for Chicago, Deep Purple, Yes, Steve Miller and The Cars
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2015, 01:05:21 AM »

Went for Chicago, Deep Purple, Yes, Steve Miller and The Cars

Great picks. By the bye, you can vote as many times as you want.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2015, 11:40:47 AM »

That hasn't worked so far for the Raiders, and three of their core members are gone now - Paul Revere, Mike Smith, and Drake Levin. Revere himself said he didn't care if he got into the HOF, said "I haven't heard of a lot of the bands that ARE in!"
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2015, 05:39:19 AM »

Revere himself said he didn't care if he got into the HOF, said "I haven't heard of a lot of the bands that ARE in!"
See? They do not care.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2015, 10:38:22 AM »

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a bit of a joke.  The fact that they nominate non rock acts like Janet Jackson and Chic is a joke.  The fact that non rock acts like Madonna and Public Enemy are in is a joke. 

It's that expression "Rock and Roll". It's as misleading as heck. Everyone has their own definition of it. Now if they were to call it "The Pop Hall of Fame" instead...   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2015, 05:14:41 AM »

It's that expression "Rock and Roll". It's as misleading as heck. Everyone has their own definition of it. Now if they were to call it "The Pop Hall of Fame" instead...   

I think Pop Hall of Fame or Music Hall of Fame would be more fitting.  I know people have different perceptions of rock and roll, but there's no way that it includes rap or dance music. 

I'm sure one day, somebody will make a Rap Hall of Fame.  And I doubt it'll include The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, and The Who.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2015, 07:34:08 PM »

I think Pop Hall of Fame or Music Hall of Fame would be more fitting.  I know people have different perceptions of rock and roll, but there's no way that it includes rap or dance music. 

I'm sure one day, somebody will make a Rap Hall of Fame.  And I doubt it'll include The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, and The Who.
How about the MMHOF - Modern Music Hall of Fame?
Like the Academy Awards, nominations in various categories. All signifcant artists,  from different time periods, deserve to be recognized.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
KDS
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2015, 07:07:22 PM »

Like the Academy Awards, nominations in various categories. All signifcant artists,  from different time periods, deserve to be recognized.

That's one of the names I've always said they should use.  That way, they're free to include rap, pop, or whatever.  But, that kind of music has no place is something called the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2015, 07:58:16 PM »

That's one of the names I've always said they should use.  That way, they're free to include rap, pop, or whatever.  But, that kind of music has no place is something called the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 

Sounds like we have it sussed out!

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2015, 03:08:58 AM »

Yes, I am happy to say, have pulled into 2nd place, behind Chicago. Really hope they get in!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2015, 03:39:25 AM »

Yes, Modern Music Hall of Fame. Modern Music being everything of musical relevance today. There's no divide these days between "pop" and "classical" (for want of a better word)----everything (jazz as well, world, folk, whatever) flows into everything else so it could all be represented in the MMHOF. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2015, 08:56:51 AM »

results in: No to Yes, Smiths. Yes to Cheap Trick, NWA, Chicago, deep purple.  others too
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx