gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:37:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cast Your Vote - 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominee Fan Vote  (Read 10642 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2015, 04:49:34 AM »

http://rockhall.com/voting/2016-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-nominees-vote/

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
KDS
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 05:08:52 AM »

Thanks for the link. 

I've voted, but sadly, the fan vote makes up a very small portion of the actual vote.  The hipster / elitist writers make up the majority, which is why the roster of bands/artists in the RNRHOF is very suspect. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 07:58:03 AM »

One for Chicago.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
KDS
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 08:11:50 AM »

I voted for Chicago also, and they're leading the fan vote. 

I voted Chicago, The Cars, Yes, Deep Purple, and Cheap Trick.  Four out of those five are in the current top five (Steve Miller replaces 7th place Cheap Trick in the standings). 

I really think the fans should have more of a say.  According to the current standings, the fans have a better understanding of what is actually rock and roll than the Hall of Fame. 

I mean NWA, Janet Jackson, Chic???  They should really change the name to the Museum of Modern Music. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 08:17:07 AM »

I mean NWA, Janet Jackson, Chic???  They should really change the name to the Museum of Modern Music. 

Agreed, they have no place being on that list.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 08:35:46 AM »

Burn that blemish on music to the ground.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
KDS
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 08:43:30 AM »

Burn that blemish on music to the ground.

I'm with you there.  The place is joke, and their exclusion of so many great bands is downright insulting. 

They will never receive one dime of my money. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 10:54:17 AM »

They should really change the name to the Museum of Modern Music. 

Considering the constant evolution of genres (not to mention debates about their barriers), that's actually exactly what they should do. But it's irrelevant because, whatever it's called, it's a piece of sh*t anyway. I'm not going to bother voting.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 11:11:08 AM »

I still voted, but I know it doesn't matter. 

Like I said, the top five fan vote getters are Chicago, The Cars, Yes, Steve Miller, and Deep Purple. 

Quite frankly, I'd be shocked if more than one of those groups get in. 

Because of the hype of the movie, NWA will get the nod.  Not a rock and roll band. 

In an effort to try to appear hip, Nine Inch Nails will likely get the nod. 

As usual, hard rock and progressive rock will likely be completely disrespected an ignored.   You can almost make a Hall of Fame for the artists who are not in. 
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 11:27:28 AM »

Like I said, the top five fan vote getters are Chicago, The Cars, Yes, Steve Miller, and Deep Purple. 

Because of the hype of the movie, NWA will get the nod.  Not a rock and roll band. 

As usual, hard rock and progressive rock will likely be completely disrespected an ignored.   You can almost make a Hall of Fame for the artists who are not in. 
I think our fan vote matters to the artists.  If Yes doesn't get in again, they will know the fans wanted them in. Really, they should be honoring like 10 artists,  in different catagories.

Supposedly, their was a shakeup on the executive board so maybe things will be changing.

Finally, it's criminal the Moody Blues aren't eeven nominated!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
KDS
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 11:34:51 AM »

I think our fan vote matters to the artists.  If Yes doesn't get in again, they will know the fans wanted them in. Really, they should be honoring like 10 artists,  in different catagories.

Supposedly, their was a shakeup on the executive board so maybe things will be changing.

I forgot that the Moodies aren't in yet.  Criminal. 

I heard about the shake-up, but as long as Jann Wenner is still involved, I fear little will change. 
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 11:40:17 AM »

I heard about the shake-up, but as long as Jann Wenner is still involved, I fear little will change. 

I agree, Jann needs to go! They need a Board of respected artists, not writeers, execs and publishers.

If it is te RnR HOF, why have they brought in so many non rockers. Good idea, change the name!

KDS
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 11:50:01 AM »

I agree, Jann needs to go! They need a Board of respected artists, not writeers, execs and publishers.

If it is te RnR HOF, why have they brought in so many non rockers. Good idea, change the name!

I think it's part of Wenner's agenda to appear diverse, edgy, or hip to include non rock acts.  To do so at the expense of many deserving rock acts is just wrong. 

And even when they get it right, they get it wrong. 

Prime example, the Dave Clark Five didn't get in until after Mike Smith died. 

Deep Purple has been eligible since 1993, over 20 years.  Sadly, Jon Lord died in 2012.   

Yes recently lost Chris Squire.  They've also been eligible for over 20 years. 

George Harrison was eligible as a solo artist in 1995.  They waited until after his passing. 

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 12:17:01 PM »

I think it's part of Wenner's agenda to appear diverse, edgy, or hip to include non rock acts.  To do so at the expense of many deserving rock acts is just wrong. 

Deep Purple has been eligible since 1993, over 20 years.  Sadly, Jon Lord died in 2012.   

George Harrison was eligible as a solo artist in 1995.  They waited until after his passing. 

Good points! I guess they are waiting for a couple of the Moodies to kick the bucket before nominating them.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 12:55:11 PM »

Good points! I guess they are waiting for a couple of the Moodies to kick the bucket before nominating them.

And now, sadly, you can add Three Dog Night to that list with the passing of Cory Wells. I just read that Three Dog Night had 21 consecutive Top 40 singles, which is a record. I always thought that singles were underrated and albums overrated. I don't own a Three Dog Night album (I do have a greatest hits comp), but I can name almost all of their singles that I enjoyed listening to in the car, by the pool, at the breakfast table, at school dances, on my transistor radio, or just spinning them on my $50 Sears record player.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 01:36:18 PM »

They won't be...because Jann Wenner is a pretentious twat.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 01:38:28 PM »

I'd cry tears of joy if fifty-year-old Trent Reznor pulled out some of his old mid-twenties tricks at the ceremony, like cussing out the audience or the promoters during an intentionally bad set. Trent's insanely talented. Jann Wenner's Current iPod Tracklist of Fame still needs to f*** off and burn.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 02:15:29 PM »

And now, sadly, you can add Three Dog Night to that list with the passing of Cory Wells. I just read that Three Dog Night had 21 consecutive Top 40 singles, which is a record. I always thought that singles were underrated and albums overrated. I don't own a Three Dog Night album (I do have a greatest hits comp), but I can name almost all of their singles that I enjoyed listening to in the car, by the pool, at the breakfast table, at school dances, on my transistor radio, or just spinning them on my $50 Sea Ers record player.
Exactly. It became hip to turn up your nose at groups that had hit singles, but what working musician wouldn't love to have at least one song that EVERYBODY knows?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »

And now, sadly, you can add Three Dog Night to that list with the passing of Cory Wells. I just read that Three Dog Night had 21 consecutive Top 40 singles, which is a record. I always thought that singles were underrated and albums overrated. I don't own a Three Dog Night album (I do have a greatest hits comp), but I can name almost all of their singles that I enjoyed listening to in the car, by the pool, at the breakfast table, at school dances, on my transistor radio, or just spinning them on my $50 Sears record player.
Yes, killer band they were! All those hits,  but great songs! They had a gift of picking wonderful  material. Live at the Forum was one of the first albums I ever heard. They belong in the HOF for sure!

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 10:00:27 PM »

The band Yes has been systematically excluded from the Hall of Fame explicitly because they turned their back on the black roots of rock and roll and I suppose were there for seen as elitist, completely white oriented, enemies of historical diversity. I recall seeing that argument in some explanation from officials in the museum. The argument is on its face absolutely ridiculous, and the sophistication and the quality and the popularity of yes music makes them automatic for the Hall of Fame. Why is Chicago, a band that has so captivated the consciousness of so many generations of fans, is not in the Hall of Fame is also mystifying. I'm going to have to agree with Steely Dan who have repudiated the Hall of Fame as absurd.

I still remember one of my friends from grammar school telling me with great sadness that the radio was no longer playing Saturday in the park after a long period when it was on pretty much all day everyday. I guess that could have been in about 4th grade or so which would make it 1971. But I better check to see when that song came out before I start reminiscing too much

KDS
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 10:31:42 PM »

My final take is this....

F**K the so called Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 

True music fans don't need a select group of hipsters and elitists to tell us what music is best.

F**k Wenner.   F**k Rolling Stone.  F**k the RNRHOF.  It's a joke.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 10:37:46 PM »

If the fans get a vote, O.K., here's mine.

1. Chubby Checker
2. Neil Sedaka

until these two get in the R&R hall of fame is a complete joke.  No Chubby Checker?  Really?  What excuse do they have for excluding people that were huge, huge contributors to music in the 50's when Rock & Roll was birthed?  At least with all the other bands they've f***ed over (and are mostly named here in this thread) they can act like they'll do it later because they came later, but Chubby Checker and Neil Sedaka were around near the very beginning of Rock & Roll, both had huge contributions to Rock & Roll, both are great performers, both nice guys, and most importantly: Both men are still alive to accept the award!  Why honor somebody after they die? 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 10:42:35 PM by Ron » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 10:52:55 PM »

There's an artist who released eleven solo albums, seven - SEVEN! - of them went multi-platinum, and many of them were critically acclaimed - Ozzy Osbourne. Shocked
KDS
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 11:18:44 PM »

There's an artist who released eleven solo albums, seven - SEVEN! - of them went multi-platinum, and many of them were critically acclaimed - Ozzy Osbourne. Shocked

It's funny you mention Ozzy.  For the longest time, I was convinced that Ozzy would be inducted before Black Sabbath because of his commercial appeal.  Then, Ozzy told the RNRHOF to go f**k itself.  Bingo.  Sabbath got in. 

Ozzy surely deserves it, but other than Black Sabbath and Metallica, the heavy metal genre has been ignored.  No Judas Priest.  No Iron Maiden.  No Ozzy.  No Dio (Ronnie James Dio should have been inducted with Black Sabbath).
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2015, 12:34:31 AM »

Delighted that one of my all-time favorite bands, The Cars, are in the running. Hopefully they get in. Rest in peace, Benjamin Orr, wish he was here.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx