-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:20:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Halloween
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Halloween  (Read 13241 times)
KDS
« on: October 22, 2015, 07:27:43 AM »

We're just over a week before All Hallow's Eve, Samhain, AKA Halloween. 

Does anybody have any fun plans or traditions? 

I used to fill up my October with horror movies, but my fiance doesn't do horror.  We've compromised with horror / Halloween themed lighter fare like Young Frankenstein, Mad Monster Party, The Comedy of Terrors, The Nightmare Before Christmas, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, Garfield's Halloween Adventure, and Halloween episodes of The Simpsons, South Park, and The Real Ghostbusters. 

I'll still make some time to watch my favorite Halloween movie, Trick R Treat. 

We'll likely carve a pumpkin, had out candy to trick or treators, and hoist a few cider & rum cocktails.  We usually try to get in a ghost tour in October, but we've been busy planning a wedding. 
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 08:38:24 AM »

I'll be heading out to a party with my girl and some friends and having a horror movie/trick-or-treating marathon. My girl and I might dress up as Sybil and Basil Fawlty respectively.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 11:15:53 AM »

Hi all,

On Halloween I will hand out candy to the children and go to Kelly's after I am done with it.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 03:45:35 PM »

My temporary username should clue you in to where I'm going at midnight (not performing, just shouting from the audience).

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 07:03:13 PM »

On October 31st... I've got anything that can play a DVD/Blu-ray playing some classic old movie.  And about 15 cases of assorted Pumpkin brews chillin.

I officially extended All Hallow's Eve well into November, to get it all in.  The Simpson, which often ran their Treehouse Of Horror episodes after Halloween, started that trend... so I did the same.  Around Thanksgiving time I transition into Christmas -- the music gets jollier, the brews darker and the sweaters gayer.

So for Halloween Movies -- the older the better!  Silents are the most atmospheric to me.  Phantom of the Opera, Nosferatu, The Cabinet of Dr Caligari, etc. Then there's Dracula (1931) and Frankenstein.  Plenty of viewings of Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, and as many Simpson's Treehouse of Horrors as I can stuff in.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:11:35 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

KDS
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 05:16:07 AM »

Bean Bag,

Yes, I forgot to mention that pumpkin beer makes for a good Halloween. 

I usually extend a little into November to coincide with the Day of the Dead. 

Simpsons Treehouse of Horror is always a treat.  Did you see the non-Treehouse Halloween episode this past Sunday?  Best Simpsons episode in years IMO. 
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 09:05:27 AM »

Bean Bag,

Yes, I forgot to mention that pumpkin beer makes for a good Halloween. 

I usually extend a little into November to coincide with the Day of the Dead. 

Simpsons Treehouse of Horror is always a treat.  Did you see the non-Treehouse Halloween episode this past Sunday?  Best Simpsons episode in years IMO. 

I didn't see it yet, but I heard about it!  Hopefully it's still saved on my DVR!

KDS
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 09:08:52 AM »

I like a lot of the classic horror movies too. 

I'm also a big fan of the Roger Corman / Vincent Price Edgar Allan Poe movies from the early 1960s. 

We're doing to do our annual Great Pumpkin / Garfield's Halloween Adventure DVD viewing tonight.  Two classic Halloween cartoons back-to-back, as intended.  Sadly, the Garfield one hasn't aired in many many years. 
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 01:42:31 PM »

I'm big into the film Vampyr from 1932. For those of you who are into Dreyer's filmmaking, seeing him do horror is just a mindfuck.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
KDS
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 09:28:53 PM »

Do yourself a favor everyone, if you haven't already, check out the movie Trick R Treat.  The movie highlights everything that is great about Halloween. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 02:43:01 AM »

Thanks, KDS. Halloween is my favorite holiday & I certainly had seen many thematic horror films, incl. mentioned below. But not Trick R Treat.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 05:27:37 AM »

Thanks, KDS. Halloween is my favorite holiday & I certainly had seen many thematic horror films, incl. mentioned below. But not Trick R Treat.

Definitely check it out.  Don't let the fact that the movie went straight to DVD fool you.  Apparently, a studio head at Warner Bros blocked a theatrical release for whatever reason.  If you ask me, it's far superior to most horror movies that have been released theatrically in the last decade.  

Also, the Simpsons aired Treehouse of Horror XXVI last night.  Since it's less than 24 hours, I won't reveal anything.  It was fun, but a little uneven.  Seems like their best writing efforts went into the Halloween themed non-Treehouse the previous week. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 05:29:34 AM by KDS » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 05:41:16 AM »

Hallowe'en is now a big money-spinner in the Netherlands, where it has no tradition whatsoever.  Wall 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 05:44:01 AM »

Hallowe'en is now a big money-spinner in the Netherlands, where it has no tradition whatsoever.  Wall 

In the grand scheme of things, Halloween, as we know it, is still a relatively new in the United States.  The holiday is still evolving as, in the last 10-15 years, it's been more embraced by adults. 
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 10:29:24 PM »

I'm happy to report that Sam Adam's Octoberfest is back baby!  It took a dive to the malt-side for a few years, but it's now back to it's smooth, caramel origins.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 03:25:02 AM »

I'm happy to report that Sam Adam's Octoberfest is back baby!  It took a dive to the malt-side for a few years, but it's now back to it's smooth, caramel origins.

Now that's the aspect of Hallowe'en they should be concentrating on over here----smooth caramel origins and all. Beer 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 05:41:23 AM »

I had a Sam Octoberfest for the first time in probably three years a couple weeks ago. 

When did they go malty?  I ask because when I drank it a couple weeks ago, I thought it was exceptionally smooth. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 06:20:12 AM »

Who is ready for all the Friday the 13th sequels on local TV Saturday! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 07:37:58 AM »

I had a Sam Octoberfest for the first time in probably three years a couple weeks ago. 

When did they go malty?  I ask because when I drank it a couple weeks ago, I thought it was exceptionally smooth. 

I'm not sure when, but I'd say the last few years it seemed like it was just heavier, more burnt-malty-syrupy.  It must have been like that for a few years, because when I saw it in the stores I didn't even think twice about getting any.  I did eventually get their Harvest Sampler -- or whatever it's called -- and it had a few in there.  I was pleasantly surprised!

This is how I remember it being.  More like a Newcastle.  Goes down real nice!

KDS
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 07:48:20 AM »

I'm not sure when, but I'd say the last few years it seemed like it was just heavier, more burnt-malty-syrupy.  It must have been like that for a few years, because when I saw it in the stores I didn't even think twice about getting any.  I did eventually get their Harvest Sampler -- or whatever it's called -- and it had a few in there.  I was pleasantly surprised!

This is how I remember it being.  More like a Newcastle.  Goes down real nice!

I thought it seemed a little heavy last time I had it.  That's why the last couple years, I've opted for pumpkin flavored beers.  But, when I had Octoberfest at that wedding I went to a couple weeks ago, it pretty much tasted like the best far beer ever....which is how I remember it.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 10:09:27 AM »

An eerie tale for Halloween:

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/jimmy-giblets-butcher-of-old-newcastle.html
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 11:00:37 PM »

What's beer festival is doing in the Halloween thread? Wanna discuss drinks - go to a specific thread, it's somewhere in the Sandbox. This holiday isn't about boring alcohol consumption.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 11:33:35 PM »

In my experience, which is considerable, alcohol consumption is never boring. Often ill-advised, frequently calamitous... but never boring.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
KDS
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2015, 05:18:34 AM »

What's beer festival is doing in the Halloween thread? Wanna discuss drinks - go to a specific thread, it's somewhere in the Sandbox. This holiday isn't about boring alcohol consumption.

Octoberfest and pumpkin flavored seasonal beers are very popular this time of year.  So, I would say, if you're of legal drinking age of course, there's nothing wrong with hoisting a few fall beers on the night that the line between the living and the dead is blurred. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2015, 07:34:59 AM »

Just don't drink and take a significant other to camp crystal lake. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: