gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:34:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Brian Wilson a Misophonic?  (Read 3444 times)
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2015, 04:22:57 PM »

I was reading this article in the link here and sounds like Brian Wilson. http://www.hexjam.com/uk/news/hate-slurping-and-loud-chewing-you-might-be-a-genius-say-scientists

Misophonic means unable to "filter out competing sensory information" is a common trait of creative super minds! It pretty much means you hear every little background noice like slurping or tapping a repetitive noice and can be very irritating and there's a good chance you might be a genius the study says.

What do you guys think  Sounds like Brian?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:32:29 PM by The_Beach » Logged
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 05:24:05 PM »

Oh god, Hexjam is like a serious website and Buzzfeed mixed together  Tongue

I feel like I may be a bit "misophonic." Honestly, it just sounds like Asperger's a bit (which is a mild form of autism I have. I would not be shocked if Brian had that too.)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 06:21:26 PM »

Not surprisingly, 92% of respondents on that site report being highly sensitive (or whatever the wording was) to slurpy noise.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 07:37:07 PM »

I don't know Brian personally, so I cannot comment.
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 09:30:07 PM »

Slurping drives me nuts.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 09:32:43 PM »

Depends on the source of the slurping.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 10:46:48 PM »

I'm miceophonic.
(Capable of hearing mice with soar throats from long distances)

Make waves, not love
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 11:20:23 PM »

Really?  The source of slurping?  I'd dare you to name a good source of this fine sound, but I'm a little concerned what I might get back.  I'll just take your word on it, coathanger-man.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 07:49:25 AM »

I don't know Brian personally, so I cannot comment.

This has never stopped 99.9% of people before when making statements about Brian.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 08:11:11 AM »

common trait of creative super minds

I feel so uncreative now.

Well, I guess a better way to put it is I'm aware of noises around me, I just ignore them.  My toddler doesn't talk yet so I can't tune out completely.  Y'know the cliché about the lack of noise being the sign of a kid getting into trouble?  Completely true with this kid.

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 10:15:16 AM »

Really?  The source of slurping?  I'd dare you to name a good source of this fine sound, but I'm a little concerned what I might get back.  I'll just take your word on it, coathanger-man.

I've noticed this in my own life.  I don't think i'm a genius, I think people just have different sensitives to it.  I noticed it when I was a kid, it's hard to explain without sounding like a creep.  When I was a kid, there was this gentle old man that was friends with my family, he would come over to the house and one of my favorite things was listening to him talk, if it was quiet enough and all you could hear was his gentle voice, it was almost mesmerizing.  Every little nuance, syllable, and breath.

Again, trying not to sound like a weirdo, just being honest.  Nothing sexual about it, it was just a warmth. 

Later I noticed that if men were around (i'm a guy) and I could hear anything intimate, i.e. their breathing, their chewing, them whispering or even talking in a low tone, it was incredibly annoying.  To the point I would get up and leave in that situation.

Children don't have that effect on me, or women.  If I'm with a woman somewhere and she's whispering, or eating and I can hear it, it doesn't bother me at all. 

I don't think it has anything to do with hearing, I think it's some primal thing about control or some crap, I don't know.  Very weird. 
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 08:41:34 PM »

This brings to mind the dinner table scene from Love and Mercy.

I have a few friends with similar quirks, and a lot of them have to do with eating or scraping noises.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 10:50:27 PM »

I also thought immediately of the dinner table scene.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 08:45:09 AM »

Given how many background noises and such got through on released Beach Boys songs, I doubt this would apply to Brian.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 01:50:03 PM »

This brings to mind the dinner table scene from Love and Mercy.

I have a few friends with similar quirks, and a lot of them have to do with eating or scraping noises.
I think a lot of people have that quirk. That's why we encourage people to chew with their mouths closed and to not talk with food in their mouths. It grosses a lot of people out.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx