gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:36:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Full Sail"  (Read 3690 times)
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2015, 12:37:08 PM »

Besides including songs "Good Timin', Angel Come Home" and "Baby Blue", I had had the impression that albums like "L.A" were better left placed on the shelf.  There really only to appease my appetite for having a complete discography but I have to admit the more I listen to Carl's "Full Sail" (and I've had it on repeat for a better part of the evening) I am almost possessed by its beauty.  I forgot about this one.  I heard his voice come on and I thought, "Lovely, good ol' Carl."  But then that string arrangement comes in on the second verse and it absolutely blew my mind, along with those backing harmonies.  Really, really a beautiful piece of music.  It has that ability to take me far, far away.  Just had to share that little thought.  Hope you all don't mind.  
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 12:42:57 PM by silodweller » Logged

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
KDS
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 12:43:07 PM »

Not at all. 

Quite frankly, I think LA is underrated.  Take away the overly long disco version of Here Comes the Night, and I think you have a pretty decent album, especially when you take into account the LPs that would follow. 
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 12:48:21 PM »

Not at all. 

Quite frankly, I think LA is underrated.  Take away the overly long disco version of Here Comes the Night, and I think you have a pretty decent album, especially when you take into account the LPs that would follow. 

Very true KDS.  In actual fact, I'm having a listen to the entire album now and it's a good place for me to stop in terms of their output.  I'm afraid I don't like any of their albums from the 80s and don't ever seem to listen to albums "Stars and Stripes" and "That's Why God Made The Radio".

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 01:08:04 PM »

Besides including songs "Good Timin', Angel Come Home" and "Baby Blue", I had had the impression that albums like "L.A" were better left placed on the shelf.  There really only to appease my appetite for having a complete discography but I have to admit the more I listen to Carl's "Full Sail" (and I've had it on repeat for a better part of the evening) I am almost possessed by its beauty.  I forgot about this one.  I heard his voice come on and I thought, "Lovely, good ol' Carl."  But then that string arrangement comes in on the second verse and it absolutely blew my mind, along with those backing harmonies.  Really, really a beautiful piece of music.  It has that ability to take me far, far away.  Just had to share that little thought.  Hope you all don't mind.  

Full Sail rules. If you dig it, give a listen to "She Believes in Love Again" from the BB85 album; the song's bridge has a melodic tip of the hat to the bridge of Full Sail. I wonder if they realized they were lifting the part when they recorded it, and just thought that nobody would notice, since Full Sail was so obscure. Then again, the band hasn't been afraid to lift the Child of Winter riff on approximately 5 more future songs, so the habit was probably just par for the course.

It still drives me bonkers to try and deduce who sings the bridge on Full Sail, "find a measure of a man...". I recall there was debate if it was the song's cowriter, or somebody else, but I'm not sure anyone on this board determined this for certain?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:09:22 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 01:08:47 PM »

The L.A album is defiantly underrated with Dennis' songs, Al's Lady Lynda and the rest. For me Dennis' songs make the album more raw and give it that old school edge.
KDS
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 01:14:19 PM »

Not at all. 

Very true KDS.  In actual fact, I'm having a listen to the entire album now and it's a good place for me to stop in terms of their output.  I'm afraid I don't like any of their albums from the 80s and don't ever seem to listen to albums "Stars and Stripes" and "That's Why God Made The Radio".

We'll have to agree to disagree on TWGMTR.  That one's my favorite post Holland album.  Not so much with KTSA, '85, and SIP.  I think Still Cruisin has some good stuff, but it's really more of an EP. 

I don't even consider Stars and Stripes to be a true Beach Boys album, even if their name is on the cover.  It's really just a country tribute, featuring them. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 02:25:19 PM »

I finally got a cassette of S&S a few weeks ago, played it once, will probably never play it again. LA is a fine album; cut the disco track down to single length, add in It's a Beautiful Day, and it's a great album. Really would like to see more appreciation for Carl's songwriting. LA, in a sense, is the last real BB's album, the last one to have contributions from all 3 Wilsons.
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 12:24:23 AM »

Thanks for the tip CenturyDeprived.  I'll have to give that one a listen for sure.  Like you say, the band certainly were able to take their own melodies and make use of them a few times over if required.  With regards to the bridge section, I was actually wondering the same thing.  When I first heard it it sort of reminded me of a Hall and Oates kind of melody and vocal delivery.  Anyway, it's a shame that the song isn't included on "Best Of" collections.  

Lonely Summer:  Yes, Carl's songwriting was really something special. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:27:32 AM by silodweller » Logged

Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 06:12:25 AM »

One of my favorite Carl tunes.

Always wondered if it was somewhat autobiographical for him - singing about coming out of the storm . . . . . .

Are there any other Beach Boys, exceptfor Bruce, on the song?

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 01:31:21 PM »

One of my favorite Carl tunes.

Always wondered if it was somewhat autobiographical for him - singing about coming out of the storm . . . . . .

Are there any other Beach Boys, exceptfor Bruce, on the song?

I think both "Full Sail" and "Goin' South" are autobiographical. Carl was coming out of a rough period, heading in a clearer direction.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 01:32:13 PM »

Thanks for the tip CenturyDeprived.  I'll have to give that one a listen for sure.  Like you say, the band certainly were able to take their own melodies and make use of them a few times over if required.  With regards to the bridge section, I was actually wondering the same thing.  When I first heard it it sort of reminded me of a Hall and Oates kind of melody and vocal delivery.  Anyway, it's a shame that the song isn't included on "Best Of" collections.  

Yes it was. I can't think of any Carl songs I don't like.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 04:00:31 PM »

Yes it was. I can't think of any Carl songs I don't like.

I have to agree with you Smiley
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 04:36:49 PM »

I had read somewhere (I think in ESQ's excellent LA LIGHT issue) that Full Sail was written by Carl and Geoffrey Cushing-Murray one day while out on Dennis' boat.  And that Geoffrey sings on Full Sail, during the middle 8 ("...adventures on the high seas...")
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 06:10:35 PM »

I had read somewhere (I think in ESQ's excellent LA LIGHT issue) that Full Sail was written by Carl and Geoffrey Cushing-Murray one day while out on Dennis' boat.  And that Geoffrey sings on Full Sail, during the middle 8 ("...adventures on the high seas...")

I wonder if that's just speculation about Geoffrey singing, or if that's indeed confirmed? It doesn't sound quite like a BB member, so it probably is true, and if so, Geoffrey would join the very small group people who are non-BB bandmembers that sang lead vocal portions of a BB song.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 08:28:45 PM »

I wonder if that's just speculation about Geoffrey singing, or if that's indeed confirmed? It doesn't sound quite like a BB member, so it probably is true, and if so, Geoffrey would join the very small group people who are non-BB bandmembers that sang lead vocal portions of a BB song.

It's Geoffrey & Carl combined. Notation on track sheet confirms it.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 11:43:51 PM »

Very interesting... Thanks for the confirmation, c-man!
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 12:07:43 AM »

I had read somewhere (I think in ESQ's excellent LA LIGHT issue) that Full Sail was written by Carl and Geoffrey Cushing-Murray one day while out on Dennis' boat.  And that Geoffrey sings on Full Sail, during the middle 8 ("...adventures on the high seas...")

Very interesting... Thanks for the confirmation, c-man!

Wow, I didn't know that.  I tell ya, I learn something new about them every single day.  
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 12:08:49 AM by silodweller » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx