gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 06:18:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BEACH BOYS’ PARTY! Uncovered and Unplugged  (Read 66874 times)
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 26, 2015, 06:16:46 AM »

Ordered this, plus the Carl live thing from Amazon to be sent to mother's house.  She can wrap them.  I like getting BB stuff under the tree at Christmas.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 26, 2015, 08:21:10 AM »

http://bestclassicbands.com/beach-boys-party-fun-time-or-waste-of-time-11-25-15/

The point of this review: the whole affair is a crap waste of time that Mike, an idiot forced Brian, a genius, to do.

I don't hear that at all.

Thoughts?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 26, 2015, 10:20:22 AM »

Is there anywhere in the UK that has this for sale at the moment. Nowhere has it Cry

In Germany the release was postponed to December 4.  Undecided

Britain too, according to Amazon.

Postponed to the 4th Dec here in the UK.

Here in the UK it's postponed until December 4.

Wink

Yeah, here in the UK it's postponed until December 4th...

:D

“We live in divisive times.”
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: November 26, 2015, 10:27:10 AM »

http://bestclassicbands.com/beach-boys-party-fun-time-or-waste-of-time-11-25-15/

The point of this review: the whole affair is a crap waste of time that Mike, an idiot forced Brian, a genius, to do.

Thoughts?

Sounds like an idiot reviewer.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 26, 2015, 11:48:46 AM »

Yes, I did not want to be unkind, but I agree that the reviewer is an idiot. I didn't want to say that in case it was one of our colleagues on this discussion board, but it's a very stupid reaction and completely unfounded. As I listen to this exuberant and wonderful production, I see and feel the Beach Boys having so much fun together. It's as simple as that as Alan states clearly in his liner notes.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 27, 2015, 08:36:45 AM »

Hey, does anybody know which version of "Ruby Baby" on the new release is the one that was available on the '90s Good Vibrations box set?

The second version that appears in the set.

I know this is a somewhat super specific question, but is it the same mix as far as you can tell? If so, then that would basically replace the box set version then for me.
KDS
« Reply #206 on: November 27, 2015, 08:46:37 AM »

Thoughts?

To me, this didn't read so much like a review of the actual product, but the writer putting in his two cents about how the original Party album is a total waste of time, especially after the release of Pet Sounds. 
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: November 27, 2015, 08:59:31 AM »

Is there anywhere in the UK that has this for sale at the moment. Nowhere has it Cry

CD and vinyl not out in the UK until December.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 27, 2015, 12:38:12 PM »

Thoughts?

Sounds like an idiot reviewer.

It also sounds like someone who needs to do some research before vomiting out his uninformed opinion. If anybody is leading the sessions, it's Carl. Anyone with ears can hear that.

Brian took what was supposed to be a stopgap measure to satisfy Capitol and turned it into an outright brilliant concept. If you want to know who these guys were, what music they liked and just how GOOD Carl and Al were on guitar you can't beat this release. To write it off with half-baked fantasies, like the "author" of this online article has, is to insult Brian's genius.   
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 02, 2015, 08:48:55 AM »

http://www.popmatters.com/review/beach-boys-beach-boys-party-uncovered-and-unplugged/

Real and better review by a professor (not I).
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 02, 2015, 08:54:16 AM »

What I'm noticing and loving is just how off-the-cuff it is.  Brian's just like "whatever" and chimes in only once in awhile, saying things like "don't worry about it!  it's f$%^g a party... mistakes are fine.  Relax!"  But what is really interesting is how much Carl Wilson runs the show.  (At least I think it's Carl -- I'm pretty sure I know their voices like my own family's!)  But it's a great study on the band and their personalities.

I don't know if that's a revelation to our more scholarly board members, but it is to me.  It's 1965... and Carl Wilson is the project manager on the scene.  He's producing the album.  Brian's the architect sitting back with the vision... but it's Carl's gig.  He's setting the pace, and totally comfortable telling everybody what to do.  Fun stuff!!
I agree. The leadership of Carl, at this early date, is revelatory. And Brian's relaxedness (a word? I'm sure not. Oh well.)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: December 02, 2015, 09:24:43 AM »

"But the album became a hit, in large part due to the hit single “Barbara Ann”, which was not even originally slated to be part of the set"

That's a story I don't know yet. Anybody here who can tell me it?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 02, 2015, 09:27:32 AM »

"But the album became a hit, in large part due to the hit single “Barbara Ann”, which was not even originally slated to be part of the set"

They just mean that the song wasn't planned -- that Dean turned up to the session, they asked him what he wanted to sing, and he suggested that.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: December 02, 2015, 11:52:49 AM »

Complete nonsense, of course, as a cursory glance at the Billboard chart figures proves beyond any reasonable doubt.

Party ! was released November 8th 1965 (give or take), charted the 27th of the same month at #65 and peaked at #6 on January first 1966.

"Barbara-f******-Ann" was released December 20th, charted at #81 the same week the parent album peaked and itself peaked at #2 the chart of January 29th 1966.

While the single was climbing the charts, the album was steadily falling. Hence, nonsense. Party ! was a huge hit before the single was released.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: December 02, 2015, 07:44:55 PM »

What I'm noticing and loving is just how off-the-cuff it is.  Brian's just like "whatever" and chimes in only once in awhile, saying things like "don't worry about it!  it's f$%^g a party... mistakes are fine.  Relax!"  But what is really interesting is how much Carl Wilson runs the show.  (At least I think it's Carl -- I'm pretty sure I know their voices like my own family's!)  But it's a great study on the band and their personalities.

I don't know if that's a revelation to our more scholarly board members, but it is to me.  It's 1965... and Carl Wilson is the project manager on the scene.  He's producing the album.  Brian's the architect sitting back with the vision... but it's Carl's gig.  He's setting the pace, and totally comfortable telling everybody what to do.  Fun stuff!!
I agree. The leadership of Carl, at this early date, is revelatory. And Brian's relaxedness (a word? I'm sure not. Oh well.)

By this time, Carl had been leader of the onstage band for about 9 months, give or take. Seems natural that he would be calling the shots with the same group of guys in a studio environment, especially since they were recording a bunch of covers in a "non-produced" fashion.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 02, 2015, 07:51:44 PM »

By this time, Carl had been leader of the onstage band for about 9 months, give or take. Seems natural that he would be calling the shots with the same group of guys in a studio environment, especially since they were recording a bunch of covers in a "non-produced" fashion.
It does make sense, of course, and I should have been clear that it was a revelation to me. I wasn't around to see a live show at that time and all the clips I've seen he seems so quiet... I'd read that he was band leader at that time but it didn't click that that very young and quiet man had such personal authority. I feel like I've seen a whole new dimension to pre-Pet Sounds Carl that I'd never picked up on before.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 02, 2015, 08:53:47 PM »

So I wasn't sure I wanted to post this, but has anybody listened to the goofy take of "The Diary" on the new set? Anyways, it kinda sounds like Bruce is saying, "when it's late at night, make sure that she's white."

Now personally I think that it was just a stupid rhyme made up off the top of his head and not really something meant to be racist. But the fact that it got released is somewhat disconcerting to me. And if I were to guess that any member would say such a thing, I'd guess Bruce.

But whatever. Doesn't seem like the kinda image The Beach Boys would wanna push forward. Kinda surprised this one made it on the set.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: December 02, 2015, 10:48:47 PM »

So I wasn't sure I wanted to post this, but has anybody listened to the goofy take of "The Diary" on the new set? Anyways, it kinda sounds like Bruce is saying, "when it's late at night, make sure that she's white."

Now personally I think that it was just a stupid rhyme made up off the top of his head and not really something meant to be racist. But the fact that it got released is somewhat disconcerting to me. And if I were to guess that any member would say such a thing, I'd guess Bruce.

But whatever. Doesn't seem like the kinda image The Beach Boys would wanna push forward. Kinda surprised this one made it on the set.

I heard that too, and was surprised.  I think that should have been edited out for Bruce's sake.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: December 03, 2015, 01:38:49 AM »

They just mean that the song wasn't planned -- that Dean turned up to the session, they asked him what he wanted to sing, and he suggested that.

Oh yes, that makes sense - it could be that this was what the writer had in mind. I wonder if AGD will ever forgive Dean that he suggested Barbara "F." Ann... Cheesy

I just thought - "Pet Sounds" is great art, and "Party" is great fun. Both of which are The Beach Boys.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 03, 2015, 09:58:37 AM »

Carl's running the show as much as he did in 1965 is especially revelatory when we consider that he only turned 19 in December of that year.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: December 03, 2015, 10:10:21 AM »

I wonder if AGD will ever forgive Dean that he suggested Barbara "F." Ann... Cheesy

Interestingly, there's only ever been one person in the whole extended BB cosmos who was less than reasonable (considerably less than reasonable) when I tried to arrange a meeting...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 04, 2015, 07:39:51 AM »

Oh yes, that makes sense - it could be that this was what the writer had in mind. I wonder if AGD will ever forgive Dean that he suggested Barbara "F." Ann... Cheesy

I just thought - "Pet Sounds" is great art, and "Party" is great fun. Both of which are The Beach Boys.

Begging your pardon, but there are no "F."'s in my aunt's name.   LOL LOL LOL

Yes, I do have an aunt named Barbara Annette.   I think grammy and grampy had the song in mind when they named her.

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 04, 2015, 11:12:31 AM »

I wonder if AGD will ever forgive Dean that he suggested Barbara "F." Ann... Cheesy

Interestingly, there's only ever been one person in the whole extended BB cosmos who was less than reasonable (considerably less than reasonable) when I tried to arrange a meeting...

If I'm reading this right, it seems that Dean Torrence was a bit of a dick to you, eh?

If so, no big deal. Besides some nice stuff on Save for a Rainy Day he really isn't responsible for anything musically that really matters in any way. Jan Berry obviously is the one (along with a few others, including Brian) who made Jan & Dean the popular duo that they are.

Seems like a pretty cantankerous douche honestly.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 04, 2015, 11:24:34 AM »

So it came out today in the UK... On the internet it seems. No HMV I've been to has any sign of it.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #224 on: December 04, 2015, 12:27:18 PM »

Mine arrived from Amazon (UK) today.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx