gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:23:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BEACH BOYS’ PARTY! Uncovered and Unplugged  (Read 66592 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2015, 09:02:40 PM »

I do not care about the liner notes or price. Tell me if this record is any darn good.
The professor should just buy it and judge things for himself.

And then tell Alan Smith if it's the cat's meow or otherwise.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2015, 09:26:47 PM »

I do not care about the liner notes or price. Tell me if this record is any darn good.

Yeeaaaah it is !!!!

I've sat and listened to the whole thing (almost finished with the second disc).  This will make you retire the Party! album forever.  This is the document of these sessions.  They're loose, goofy, but more interesting than the release, since it focuses on documenting the Boys in the studio cutting this fun little album.  And it was always THE WAY they cut the album that was more interesting than the actual album.  Although, it's contents are indeed fun and pretty at times.

What I'm noticing and loving is just how off-the-cuff it is.  Brian's just like "whatever" and chimes in only once in awhile, saying things like "don't worry about it!  it's f$%^g a party... mistakes are fine.  Relax!"  But what is really interesting is how much Carl Wilson runs the show.  (At least I think it's Carl -- I'm pretty sure I know their voices like my own family's!)  But it's a great study on the band and their personalities.

I don't know if that's a revelation to our more scholarly board members, but it is to me.  It's 1965... and Carl Wilson is the project manager on the scene.  He's producing the album.  Brian's the architect sitting back with the vision... but it's Carl's gig.  He's setting the pace, and totally comfortable telling everybody what to do.  Fun stuff!!

I don't have the SOT of this... so I don't know if this would be necessary to folks who do, though I find the sound sublime!  But I'm loving this release.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:31:45 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2015, 11:04:01 PM »

The professor has ordered a copy on Amazon which should be here in a day or two. As usual I have to thank my dear friend bean bag who always shows so much rapid and immediate support of the professor. I feel like I am casting a bean bag light out into the sky like they do in Batman because he always shows up just when he is most needed. I am very interested in hearing this for the reasons that the bean bag lays out. It sounds so exuberant and like so much fun and I will record my reaction here once I have received it and listen to it. Thank you great and wise bean bag.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2015, 12:07:15 AM »

Question:  Does the LP version of this album feature the contents of both discs, or just the "album minus the overdubs" disc?
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2015, 10:06:59 AM »

Visited Best Buy, Target and Barnes & Noble this morning. Only Barnes & Noble had it in stock for $25. Debating ordering it from Amazon.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2015, 10:47:28 AM »

Hey, does anybody know which version of "Ruby Baby" on the new release is the one that was available on the '90s Good Vibrations box set?
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2015, 04:55:23 PM »

Hey, does anybody know which version of "Ruby Baby" on the new release is the one that was available on the '90s Good Vibrations box set?

The second version that appears in the set.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2015, 05:18:55 PM »

Visited Best Buy, Target and Barnes & Noble this morning. Only Barnes & Noble had it in stock for $25. Debating ordering it from Amazon.

Quite a few at my BB.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: November 21, 2015, 08:59:20 PM »

The second version that appears in the set.

With Dennis on harmonica!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 21, 2015, 09:03:45 PM »

I am surprised that this album has not appeared on the Rhapsody music service. All previous beach boy new releases have appeared on that Service, but at this album has not. In any case, I have ordered and purchased one through amazon.com which is arriving on Tuesday, so I will have some commentary then. Does anyone else use Rhapsody?
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2015, 08:58:35 AM »

Question:  Does the LP version of this album feature the contents of both discs, or just the "album minus the overdubs" disc?

The vinyl LP edition of the ‘Party!’ album’s original 12 tracks, remixed and remastered in the ‘Uncovered and Unplugged’ style.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 22, 2015, 09:15:53 AM »

Mods, please add an entry for this in the reviews section.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2015, 11:10:57 AM »

Quite a few at my BB.

Went to the other side of town to different Best Buy, Target and Barnes & Noble--nothing! Either they didn't order any copies or they sold out the few they did have. I'm guessing they never stocked it. I guess it will have to be Amazon.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2015, 05:00:56 PM »

This is an essential Beach Boys purchase for the hardcore fan. I was looking forward to this but had no idea it would turn out to be a revelation (at least for me):

1. As others have mentioned, Carl is running the show here, putting the group through their paces and barking out orders about how the album should sound. It's fun to hear Carl (along with Brian) in charge. I'm NOT in favor of revising any producer credits on Beach Boys albums, but if ever there was a candidate for a "produced by Brian and Carl Wilson" credit this would be it.   

2. The original Party album gave us a glimpse of what kind of music the Beach Boys would jam to if they were asked to jam. This collection gives us much more of that (obviously) but the diaologue reveals more of their individual personalities and thoughts about making the album, along with some off-color banter that almost warrant a Parental Advisory sticker. 

3. Musicianship - The band cook on these numbers, especially Carl who seems capable of playing anything and everything like a BOSS! Sadly, I've seen some reviews or discussions about this album that are beset with idiots in the comments section who still insist the Beach Boys never played a note in the studio. We've gone from being happy to see the Wrecking Crew get acknowledged for their contributions after being ignored for so long to "rock fans" giving them credit for everything the Beach Boys ever did. I'd like to think that a set like this will prove them wrong, but we live in an age where a lie spreads like wildfire on the internet because people want it to be true rather than it actually being true. Suckers!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2015, 10:29:17 PM »

On that page, Brian gives the credit of the idea for the Party! album to Mike. I thought it was Brian's idea - did I miss something?

It looks like the cover was tweaked a bit for color correction and now it's slightly easier on the eyes.

That's probably not a color revision but an artifact caused by different file formats. You couldn't print the "old" color with a regular CMYK printing setup, but that color is (obviously) possible for an RGB monitor.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: November 23, 2015, 08:47:07 AM »

OK, just a few comments:

- I listened to the entire set on an actual, proper CD player and it sounded absolutely great, so obviously Windows was screwing with the sound when I was listening to it on my work PC. (Why on EARTH was it adding reverb?!?!?! Even when changing the settings?!) So I withdraw my "Dexterization" comment from Friday.

- Most of this stuff will be familiar to people who listened to the Sea of Tunes sets. But there are a few surprises here and there. But 1) I remember when "Dutch imports" were all the rage, there was a gentleman's agreement that if the stuff that was on said imports was ever legitimately released, those who partook in consuming those CDs would do the right thing and buy the material legitimately, and 2) even if you're going to reneg on that agreement, just hearing the Party! album sans party sounds is a great listen and very revealing in its own way.

- I love Al's credits in the liner notes.

- What puzzles me is that several (if not all) of the tracks that are on the remixed Party! album portion of disc 1 appear *again* later on during the session highlights. Kinda like how Leggo My Ego had a lot of repeated tracks. (At least from what I'm told. Not that I would ever have participated in such despicable illegal activity...*cough*...)

- I remember it was "common knowledge" that the Beach Boys recorded "Sloop John B" during the Party! sessions, and recently that "fact" has come into dispute. AFAIK, there's no documentation to verify it, and I'm sure if they DID record SJB during those sessions, it would have been on this compilation for sure. HOWEVER...I think what got buzz going around about that is that at one point when they're goofing around on "Ticket To Ride," someone with a 12-string is playing some licks that are pretty identical to the guitar riff in the released "Sloop John B" -- BUT somenoe's singing "My baby don't care" against it...so: coincidence, more likely.

- Definitely worth the price of admission: hearing the conversations going on between songs. They're so...everyday....that they're fascinating!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 23, 2015, 08:50:23 AM »

I just received my copy in the mail yesterday. There isn't much that wasn't on the SOTs, of course, but what is there benefits amazingly from a proper master and mix. The few new bits are worth the price of admission. I liked that there was just enough fooling around left in the release.

Dare I say it...but this is gonna be hard to beat if another copyright extension set comes out.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: November 23, 2015, 09:10:52 AM »

I would hope that another one will be on its way though...given the goldmine of material that makes up the first two albums they put out in '65!

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 23, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »

OK, just a few comments:

- I listened to the entire set on an actual, proper CD player and it sounded absolutely great, so obviously Windows was screwing with the sound when I was listening to it on my work PC. (Why on EARTH was it adding reverb?!?!?! Even when changing the settings?!) So I withdraw my "Dexterization" comment from Friday.

- Most of this stuff will be familiar to people who listened to the Sea of Tunes sets. But there are a few surprises here and there. But 1) I remember when "Dutch imports" were all the rage, there was a gentleman's agreement that if the stuff that was on said imports was ever legitimately released, those who partook in consuming those CDs would do the right thing and buy the material legitimately, and 2) even if you're going to reneg on that agreement, just hearing the Party! album sans party sounds is a great listen and very revealing in its own way.

- Definitely worth the price of admission: hearing the conversations going on between songs. They're so...everyday....that they're fascinating!

So the stereo mix on Sea of Tunes was with the party sounds, right? 
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 23, 2015, 09:15:12 AM »

I would hope that another one will be on its way though...given the goldmine of material that makes up the first two albums they put out in '65!

Don't forget the Chicago shows!

GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 23, 2015, 09:47:15 AM »

Don't forget the Chicago shows!

Yes, the Chicago shows! Please!!!
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2015, 12:21:42 PM »

It looks like the cover was tweaked a bit for color correction and now it's slightly easier on the eyes.

New

Original

Much better.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2015, 12:17:45 AM »

That's probably not a color revision but an artifact caused by different file formats. You couldn't print the "old" color with a regular CMYK printing setup, but that color is (obviously) possible for an RGB monitor.

I agree, Micha. The original pre-release cover rendition has an intense look achievable from backlighting on a monitor, but not with standard printing on standard paper. (Also, the B&W photos have a bluish cast on the original pre-release cover rendition that is absent on the released CD booklet.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:18:40 AM by Custom Machine » Logged
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2015, 02:10:19 AM »

Not having the boots, I had never heard them do "Satisfaction" or "Blowing In The Wind" before. Enjoyable. (Listened on Apple Music, of which I'm on my free trial at the moment)

Please delete my account
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 26, 2015, 03:29:43 AM »

Is there anywhere in the UK that has this for sale at the moment. Nowhere has it Cry

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx