gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680845 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 11:34:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BEACH BOYS’ PARTY! Uncovered and Unplugged  (Read 67004 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 26, 2015, 02:08:59 PM »

And some of these debates are obviously never going to be definitely solved to some folks' satisfaction. Beatles fans are still debating whether it's John or Paul singing the "aaaaaah" vocal part after Paul's "I went into a dream" section of "A Day in the Life", with Lennon fanboys insisting it's John (which I think a lot of fans understandably initially thought it was), even after some audio sleuthing/forensics and a good listen with an open mind indicates it's probably Paul singing that part.
I completely agree with your whole post except, and I know that this is totally obnoxious, contrary and self-contradictory of me, but It's John, it's John, la la la la. And don't forget the fangirls!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: October 26, 2015, 03:44:39 PM »

And some of these debates are obviously never going to be definitely solved to some folks' satisfaction. Beatles fans are still debating whether it's John or Paul singing the "aaaaaah" vocal part after Paul's "I went into a dream" section of "A Day in the Life", with Lennon fanboys insisting it's John (which I think a lot of fans understandably initially thought it was), even after some audio sleuthing/forensics and a good listen with an open mind indicates it's probably Paul singing that part.
I completely agree with your whole post except, and I know that this is totally obnoxious, contrary and self-contradictory of me, but It's John, it's John, la la la la. And don't forget the fangirls!

I was pretty 50/50 on it and could lean either way for many years in the past. But there's a good breakdown, if I'm recalling correctly, in the amazing research book "Recording the Beatles", and I remember coming away feeling they went as far as one could go towards proving it's Paul outside of having actual film footage of the guys cutting the vocals.

Awesome recording either way of course.

I remember the epic discussion some years back when that "Daddy Dear/Susie Cincinatti" Holland home recording surfaced, and there were debates about whether it was Brian or Al. Now *that* was interesting and informative conversation. No AFM contracts, no session tapes, just the same murky recording that everyone had to pick apart.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 26, 2015, 08:12:43 PM »

I was pretty 50/50 on it and could lean either way for many years in the past. But there's a good breakdown, if I'm recalling correctly, in the amazing research book "Recording the Beatles", and I remember coming away feeling they went as far as one could go towards proving it's Paul outside of having actual film footage of the guys cutting the vocals.

Awesome recording either way of course.

Blasted evidence keeps ruining my hypotheses! I'll have to check that book out.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:56:37 AM by Emily » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2015, 09:57:28 PM »

On Amazon, but rather pricey:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0978520009?keywords=Recording%20The%20Beatles&qid=1445921457&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

On a closely related note: does anyone know if the 2013 edition of Lewisohn's "The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions" is updated from the '88 edition?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2015, 01:50:04 AM »

If so, maybe he revised the entries which he'd later admitted weren't based of actual fact but his deductions.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 27, 2015, 04:55:29 AM »

I'm excited in some sense about this release. I've always enjoyed the "stripped" 'Party' recordings for what they are. There's a question I've had for awhile about those sessions that now seems as good a time as any to ask. Do we know who played what, in terms of instruments, for those sessions. I assume Al plays some, if not all, bass, and of course Carl on guitar. Perhaps this has been well documented elsewhere on the board, but I can't seem to find it. Did Brian, for instance, play any bass on 'Party'? Who played bongos? I can picture Mike running around with a tambourine. Can someone more knowing than I compile a list of "who played what" on the 'Party' album?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2015, 06:16:16 AM »

On Amazon, but rather pricey:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0978520009?keywords=Recording%20The%20Beatles&qid=1445921457&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

On a closely related note: does anyone know if the 2013 edition of Lewisohn's "The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions" is updated from the '88 edition?

I think I got in on the tail end of the original run of 1,000 copies of "Recording the Beatles", but they did more printings after that. It looks like right now it's out of stock but due for another printing in 2016:

http://www.curvebender.com/recordingthebeatlesdeluxeedition.aspx

I can't say for sure, but I always got the impression that the various reprints of Lewisohn's "Recording Sessions" were simple reprints rather than updates. I think EMI actually owned the book, as they commissioned Lewisohn.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2015, 06:24:52 AM »

If so, maybe he revised the entries which he'd later admitted weren't based of actual fact but his deductions.

I never got the impression Lewisohn was trying to mislead about the nature of his listening sessions. I dunno, maybe he contends in "Recording Sessions" that he listened to every note of every tape. But I remember relatively contemporary interviews where Lewisohn was open about the narrow window of time EMI gave him to do the book, and how there was no time to listen to every second of every tape. Considering his interest in the group, I also got the impression that, much like any Beatles fan, he certainly would have loved to spend even more time listening to every inch of each tape.

Either way, while "Recording Sessions" could certainly do well with an update, even just based on what they turned up in the 90s "Anthology" era, every one of Lewisohn's books are indispensable, and his "Tune In" first volume is really unparalleled in numerous ways. A biography half as detailed as that on the Beach Boys would still be the best we've ever seen. The only criticism I have of Lewisohn's first biography volume is that the title is kind of lame, and the UK cover art kind of ugly.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: October 27, 2015, 07:08:03 AM »

...But I remember relatively contemporary interviews where Lewisohn was open about the narrow window of time EMI gave him to do the book, and how there was no time to listen to every second of every tape. Considering his interest in the group, I also got the impression that, much like any Beatles fan, he certainly would have loved to spend even more time listening to every inch of each tape...

Believe me, I know exactly how he feels!  Smiley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2015, 07:08:48 AM »

I'm excited in some sense about this release. I've always enjoyed the "stripped" 'Party' recordings for what they are. There's a question I've had for awhile about those sessions that now seems as good a time as any to ask. Do we know who played what, in terms of instruments, for those sessions. I assume Al plays some, if not all, bass, and of course Carl on guitar. Perhaps this has been well documented elsewhere on the board, but I can't seem to find it. Did Brian, for instance, play any bass on 'Party'? Who played bongos? I can picture Mike running around with a tambourine. Can someone more knowing than I compile a list of "who played what" on the 'Party' album?

The sessionography will answer all these questions. Smiley
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 27, 2015, 07:11:12 AM »

Wasn't it Brian on electric bass, Carl and Al on acoustic guitars, Bruce on piano, and Hal Blaine on percussion?

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2015, 07:18:39 AM »

And I'm pretty sure Billy Hinsche on harmonica.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: October 27, 2015, 07:52:09 AM »

Wasn't it Brian on electric bass, Carl and Al on acoustic guitars, Bruce on piano, and Hal Blaine on percussion?

There was actually some fluid-ity with the bass and percussion chores. What little piano there was is Brian. The one constant was the acoustic guitars of Carl and Al - although they rotated 6- and 12-string between themselves. I heard no evidence on tape of the 4-string tenor acoustic guitar Al is seen playing in the staged party promo shot, and which may be alluded to in the Teen Set article (where a guitar string breaks and the instrument in question is then referred to as now having 3 strings).
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2015, 08:09:12 AM »

<<And I'm pretty sure Billy Hinsche on harmonica.>>

The man himself confirmed that to me... on Mountain of Love. 

And flash forward 35 years to 2000... the Carl Wilson foundation Beach Party... at the singalong during Mountain of Love, Billy surprised everybody (and Jeff Foskett) when he whipped out his harmonica and reprised that solo.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2015, 08:22:43 AM »

And flash forward 35 years to 2000... the Carl Wilson foundation Beach Party... at the singalong during Mountain of Love, Billy surprised everybody (and Jeff Foskett) when he whipped out his harmonica and reprised that solo.

Wonderful stuff how he reprised the solo all those years later. I didn't know Billy added harmonica on MOL via the album---cool stuff.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2015, 08:39:22 AM »

Wonderful stuff how he reprised the solo all those years later. I didn't know Billy added harmonica on MOL via the album---cool stuff.

It might be worth noting here that Billy's MOL harmonica solo was performed on the initial recording - meaning, it was not overdubbed at the later "party sounds" session as has sometimes been reported. So, happily, it's present on this release!  Smiley
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2015, 02:55:24 AM »

I'm very curious to know if it was indeed Brian on bass throughout the album.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2015, 06:07:50 AM »

Before the "Calypso" version of "Little Deuce Coupe" doesn't someone (Al?) say "I've got it -- Bruce do your bass like this: (sings) 'dum, da da, dum, da da...'"?

Lee
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 06:09:10 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2015, 06:29:27 AM »

Bruce playing bass is mentioned several times in the studio, I think they also call it the "phantom bass" or something, and I also got the impression "Ron" as in Ron Swallow played some bass too because other conversations seem to be directed at him regarding the bass playing. But he's credited with tambourine and percussion too. A good amount of instrument swapping seems to have taken place as mentioned.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2015, 08:26:07 AM »

A little Easter egg I noticed a few years ago: listen to the background vocals. During the verses: "Whoa-oh Mikey!" During the harmonica solo: "Whoa-oh Billy!"

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2015, 09:09:51 AM »

A little Easter egg I noticed a few years ago: listen to the background vocals. During the verses: "Whoa-oh Mikey!" During the harmonica solo: "Whoa-oh Billy!"

Exactly!  That's why I suspected (many years ago) that it was Billy Hinsche playing the harmonica, and the first time I met him in person I asked him and he confirmed it.

Lee
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2015, 09:22:48 AM »

I heard the Sea of Tunes release of some of these sessions a few years back and isn't there a medley section where, at one point, the BB (I think Brian) sings a brief snippet of the DD&B hit "I'm A Fool?"
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2015, 09:34:59 PM »

Exactly!  That's why I suspected (many years ago) that it was Billy Hinsche playing the harmonica, and the first time I met him in person I asked him and he confirmed it.

Lee

First time I heard (or read) of it was when Billy mentioned it in a 1986 BBFUN interview.
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2015, 01:54:58 PM »

I have the '88 edition and The Complete Beatles Chronicle ('92), which is a condensed version of Recording Sessions plus live, radio, and TV appearances.  He notes revised info on recording sessions.

I haven't seen the 2013 edition.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2015, 03:30:22 PM »

Looks like Amazon will sell an “exclusive” package with a 12” by 12” lithograph: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017IF3SVW/. Very few details at all on that page but one can only assume that it’s for this release.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx