gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 10:22:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BEACH BOYS’ PARTY! Uncovered and Unplugged  (Read 66948 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2015, 11:45:44 AM »

Nothing new, but a good read:

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/the-beach-boys-party.html
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2015, 02:31:41 PM »

Apols that was a crap attempt to link to the artwork which is posted at Amazon Uk .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B016J8GG5E/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1445462584&sr=1-3&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=beach+boys#immersive-view_1445462619940

Doesn't do much for me but it's all about the music, eh?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 04:57:14 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
rogerlancelot
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2015, 07:45:03 PM »

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2015, 06:01:14 AM »

That cover is fucking horrible. The colours...my God...it actually hurts to look at.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2015, 06:10:48 AM »

I dunno. The artwork for the digital-only releases last year were far worse-looking. They looked like experiments I did with home-made CD covers in the mid-late 90's, complete with the sort of Comic Sans Serif-ish font on the covers. Great work compiling those releases; I'm so grateful Alan Boyd and company did everything they could on that end. But they clearly had (and maybe still have) a pretty tiny budget for artwork for these things.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2015, 06:18:24 AM »

.sure sounds like Carl to me saying, "Hi, this is Alan Jardine, and this scene takes place at a typical Beach Boys party" or something to that effect.
yeah, its carl mocking jardine's bit on cassius love vs sunny wilson. I doubt dean would have remembered that obscure reference, but he is a weird guy...

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2015, 07:14:32 AM »

I dunno. The artwork for the digital-only releases last year were far worse-looking. They looked like experiments I did with home-made CD covers in the mid-late 90's, complete with the sort of Comic Sans Serif-ish font on the covers. Great work compiling those releases; I'm so grateful Alan Boyd and company did everything they could on that end. But they clearly had (and maybe still have) a pretty tiny budget for artwork for these things.

Good artwork can be done on a tiny budget, there's really no excuse for something as eye watering hideous as this. We're only talking about taking existing pictures and arranging them tastefully and adding a title.

The other sessions releases weren't being pressed as vinyl records either. If you're going to the trouble of putting it out on record, it would be nice if it was at least decent to look at.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2015, 10:31:25 AM »

Excellent news! Defiantly be purchasing that on vinyl.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2015, 10:55:26 AM »

I don't mind the cover art, except for the color choice. Should have just used the original color palette with the new photos and "Uncovered and Unplugged" added.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2015, 11:08:26 AM »

".sure sounds like Carl to me saying, "Hi, this is Alan Jardine, and this scene takes place at a typical Beach Boys party" or something to that effect.

yeah, its carl mocking jardine's bit on cassius love vs sunny wilson. I doubt dean would have remembered that obscure reference, but he is a weird guy...
"

no it's Dean Torrence, reading from a prepared script so there's no need for him to remember an obscure reference.  the voice is unmistakeable from hearing him shoot the breeze on various Jan & Dean compilations
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:09:18 AM by hideyotsuburaya » Logged
Blake Alan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2015, 11:20:54 AM »

Here's the full press release (taken from the Steve Hoffman Board):

THE BEACH BOY’S 1965 ALBUM, ‘BEACH BOYS’ PARTY!’ REMIXED, REMASTERED AND EXPANDED WITHOUT OVERDUBBED FESTIVITIES FOR ‘BEACH BOYS’ PARTY! UNCOVERED AND UNPLUGGED’

50th Anniversary 2CD and Digital Album Features 81 Songs and Dialog Tracks Culled From The Beach Boys’ ‘Party!’ Studio Sessions

Los Angeles – October 22, 2015 – In November 1965, The Beach Boys released Beach Boys’ Party!, a creative and well-loved album of covers mixed with separately recorded party sounds created by the band members, their families and friends. ‘Party!’ was a Top 10 Billboard hit, quickly going Gold and spawning the timeless No. 2 smash hit, “Barbara Ann.” To celebrate the popular album’s 50th anniversary, The Beach Boys have overseen a remixed, remastered and expanded edition, Beach Boys’ Party! Uncovered and Unplugged, which removes the overdubbed festivities from the 12-track original album’s mix and adds 69 more songs and dialog tracks culled from all of the band’s ‘Party!’ recording sessions. To be released worldwide on November 20 by Capitol/UMe, the 2CD and digital album also includes photos from the sessions, package essays by Beach Boys historians Alan Boyd and Craig Slowinski, and notes by the new edition’s producer, Mark Linett. A vinyl LP edition of the ‘Party!’ album’s original 12 tracks, remixed and remastered in the ‘Uncovered and Unplugged’ style, will follow on December 11.

Over the course of several long sessions at Western Recorders in Hollywood, California in August and September of 1965, The Beach Boys recorded what was, essentially, the first “unplugged” rock & roll album, with instrumentation limited to acoustic guitars, bass, bongos, harmonica and a tambourine. Joined in the studio by a few friends and collaborators, the band ran through many of their favorite songs of the time, including hits by The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and others, even spoofing two of their own biggest hits – “I Get Around” and “Little Deuce Coupe” -- with self-parodying renditions. The Beach Boys’ version of The Regents’ “Barbara-Ann” (released by The Beach Boys minus the title’s original hyphen), included on the album, leapt up the Billboard singles chart and became one of the band’s signature songs, beloved by fans around the world.

“The ‘Party!’ album was a result of the pressure Capitol Records was putting on us for another album,” explained Beach Boys founding member Mike Love. “And we didn’t really have time to develop the type of album we wanted to develop, which Brian was working on, called Pet Sounds… So we said, ‘Well, what can we do quickly and easily?’ And we decided to do this party album.”

“Mike was saying, why not a party album and we can act like we are [at a party], and just be ourselves on tape, you know?” recalled Beach Boys founding member Brian Wilson. “And that’s what happened. It was a very spontaneous album.”

After the band wrapped recording sessions for the album’s songs -- plus many additional songs -- they returned to the studio with friends and family in tow, for a three-hour session to record party sounds and chatter to be mixed with the songs for the freewheeling Beach Boys’ Party! album. Removed from this new ‘Uncovered and Unplugged’ edition, the mixed-in party sounds remain intact on the original album, which was most recently remixed in stereo for reissue by Capitol in 2012.

thebeachboys.com
twitter.com/TheBeachBoys
facebook.com/thebeachboys

The Beach Boys:Beach Boys’ Party! Uncovered and Unplugged [2CD; digital]

DISC 1

THE ALBUM

1. HULLY GULLY [Session #2 – 9/8/65]
    Lead vocal: Mike

2. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER [Session #3 – 9/14/65]
    Lead vocals: Carl & Al

3. TELL ME WHY [Session #2 – 9/8/65]

4. PAPA-OOM-MOW-MOW [Session #3 – 9/14/65]
    Lead vocal: Brian

5. MOUNTAIN OF LOVE [Session #3 – 9/14/65]

6. YOU'VE GOT TO HIDE YOUR LOVE AWAY [Session #5 – 9/23/65]
    Lead vocal: Dennis

7. DEVOTED TO YOU [Session #3 – 9/14/65]
    Duet vocals: Brian & Mike

8. ALLEY OOP [Session #3 – 9/14/65]

9. THERE'S NO OTHER (LIKE MY BABY) [Session #3 – 9/14/65]

10. I GET AROUND / LITTLE DEUCE COUPE [Session #4 – 9/15/65]

11. THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN' [Session #5 – 9/23/65]
      Solo vocal: Al

12. BARBARA ANN [Session #5 – 9/23/65]
      Lead vocals: Brian & Dean

THE SESSIONS

13. LET'S GET THIS PARTY ROLLING [Session #2 – 9/8/65]

SESSION #1 [8/23/65]

14. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER #1

15. RUBY BABY #1

16. (I CAN’T GET NO) SATISFACTION #1
      Group vocals: Brian, Carl, Dennis, Al, Mike

17. HULLY GULLY #1

18. BLOWIN' IN THE WIND
      Solo vocal: Al

19. DIALOG: “THE SUNRAYS”

SESSION #2 [9/8/65]

20. RUBY BABY #2

21. DIALOG: “THE MASKED PHANTOM”

22. HULLY GULLY #2

23. DIALOG: “CARL, GO GET YOUR BASS”

24. HULLY GULLY #3

25. (I CAN’T GET NO) SATISFACTION #2
      Group vocals: Brian, Carl, Dennis, Al, Mike

26. DIALOG: “THAT'S A BAD GUITAR”
      Piano: Brian

27. RUBY BABY #3

28. DIALOG: “WHAT'S THE MATTER, CARL”

29. RUBY BABY #4

30. DIALOG: “CARL'S TIRES”

31. I SHOULD'VE KNOWN BETTER #2

32. I SHOULD'VE KNOWN BETTER #3

33. DIALOG: “WASN'T THAT GREAT FOLKS?”

34. TELL ME WHY #1

35. DON'T WORRY BABY
      12-string acoustic guitar: Carl

36. YOU’VE GOT TO HIDE YOUR LOVE AWAY #1

37. LITTLE DEUCE COUPE #1

38. CALIFORNIA GIRLS

DISC 2

SESSION #2 [9/8/65], continued

1. SHE BELONGS TO ME/THE ARTIST (LAUGH AT ME) #1

2. FOOLING AROUND: HANG ON SLOOPY/YOU’VE LOST THAT LOVIN’ FEELIN’/TWIST AND SHOUT

3. RIOT IN CELLBLOCK No.9 #1

4. FOOLING AROUND: THE DIARY
    Lead vocal: Bruce

5. DIALOG: “I THINK WE BETTER DO THIS NEXT WEEK”
    Piano: Brian

SESSION #3 [9/14/65]

6. DIALOG: “LET'S COOK NOW AND EAT LATER”

7. TELL ME WHY #2

8. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER #4

9. DIALOG: “WHAT I WANT TO DO”

10. DIALOG: “ARE WE STILL IN THE PARTY?”

11. MOUNTAIN OF LOVE #1

12. DIALOG: “WHERE'S DENNY?”

13. DEVOTED TO YOU #1

14. DIALOG: “WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOW”

15. YOU’VE GOT TO HIDE YOUR LOVE AWAY #2

16. DIALOG: “THIS PHONY PARTY” / TICKET TO RIDE
      Lead vocal: Al

17. ALLEY OOP #1

18. ALLEY OOP #2

19. DIALOG: “TUNE IT LIKE IT IS”

20. THERE'S NO OTHER (LIKE MY BABY) #1

21. THERE'S NO OTHER (LIKE MY BABY) #2

22. DIALOG: “DO THE SPLITS”

23. DEVOTED TO YOU #2

24. DEVOTED TO YOU #3

SESSION #4 [9/15/65]

25. YOU’VE GOT TO HIDE YOUR LOVE AWAY #3

26. I GET AROUND

27. LITTLE DEUCE COUPE #2

28. MOUNTAIN OF LOVE #2
      Lead vocals: Mike & Brian

29. TICKET TO RIDE #2

30. RIOT IN CELL BLOCK No. #2

31. THE ARTIST (LAUGH AT ME) #2
      Solo vocal: Mike

32. ONE KISS LED TO ANOTHER

SESSION #5 [9/23/65]

33. YOU’VE GOT TO HIDE YOUR LOVE AWAY #4
      Solo vocal: Dennis

34. YOU’VE GOT TO HIDE YOUR LOVE AWAY #5

35. DIALOG: “WHAT DID YOU STOP US FOR CHUCK?”

36. THE TIMES THEY ARE A CHANGIN'
      Lead vocal: Al

37. FOOLING AROUND: HEART AND SOUL/LONG TALL SALLY

38. FOOLING AROUND: THE BOY FROM NYC

39. SMOKEY JOE'S CAFE

40. DIALOG: “I GOT ONE MORE”

41. BARBARA ANN #1

42. BARBARA ANN #2

43. BARBARA ANN #3
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:31:21 AM by Blake Alan » Logged
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2015, 12:51:23 PM »

<<no it's Dean Torrence, reading from a prepared script so there's no need for him to remember an obscure reference.  the voice is unmistakeable from hearing him shoot the breeze on various Jan & Dean compilations>>

Having been acquainted with Dean since 1977, I can tell you this is not Dean, in any way, shape or form.  It's Carl Wilson, adding a bit of nasality to his voice, in the spirit of the comedy of the moment.  End of story.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2015, 01:18:17 PM »

couldn't disagree more, it was apparent to me that voice's Deans without guessing upon first hearing (I saw Jan & Dean at shows going way back too).  remember Dean had to adopt a guise since he was forbidden to sing on competitors records like the Beach Boys, so just appropriating Al's role in the script makes sense in addition to the comic aspect.  (put another way, it is just the same voice as every time I've heard Dean speak during some dialogue included on a CD, and bears no resemblance to anytime I've ever heard Carl speak likewise).  Al comes in not as himself of course but goofing under another (phoney) name a moment later in the dialogue
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 01:30:38 PM by hideyotsuburaya » Logged
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2015, 02:19:47 PM »

I guess this means Today and SD/SN material will only be getting the minimum digital release?
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2015, 02:24:10 PM »

Wait a minute...people are pissing and moaning about the cover art?? Dude...bad cover art is what we expect from a classic Beach Boys collection. The Beach Boys Today!, anyone?? And how about Summer Days... missing a group member? (Honestly, if Al couldn't make the shoot, couldn't they use another picture?) The Surfer Girl cover is very "so what?", and Little Deuce Coupe and Shut Down Vol. 2 have probably the most claustrophobic album graphics I've ever seen.

I think this is perfect for what it is.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2015, 02:45:15 PM »

<<couldn't disagree more, it was apparent to me that voice's Deans without guessing upon first hearing .>>

Sorry, dead wrong.  I've known Dean for decades.  This is Carl's voice; I am sure Andrew or Alan or any longtime scholar can confirm.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2015, 04:07:14 PM »

Wait a minute...people are pissing and moaning about the cover art?? Dude...bad cover art is what we expect from a classic Beach Boys collection. The Beach Boys Today!, anyone?? And how about Summer Days... missing a group member? (Honestly, if Al couldn't make the shoot, couldn't they use another picture?) The Surfer Girl cover is very "so what?", and Little Deuce Coupe and Shut Down Vol. 2 have probably the most claustrophobic album graphics I've ever seen.

I think this is perfect for what it is.

This is the band that gave us this:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2015, 04:25:01 PM »

I guess this means Today and SD/SN material will only be getting the minimum digital release?

Well, to be honest even though I (and probably many others on here) enjoy Today! and Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) more than Party! it is pretty obvious that as far as outtakes from these albums, Party! has more truly unreleased songs from it's sessions, and that is probably the reason why it is this album, and not those, that is being reissued (albeit in a remixed form).

Off the top of my head, what unreleased songs are there from Today! sessions? None, I think. "All Dressed Up For School" was an outtake, but it's already been issued. So yeah, nothing there. From Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)? Well, there's a lead vocal-less "Sherry/Sandy She Needs Me." There's just nothing. So Party! makes the most sense.

Now, next year, there is Pet Sounds and a whole lot of SMiLE sessions. So yeah, that should all be released, and in a hard copy.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2015, 04:51:08 PM »

Now, next year, there is Pet Sounds and a whole lot of SMiLE sessions. So yeah, that should all be released, and in a hard copy.

Can't help but fantasise about a possible Smile release. We got so much in the 2011 box, but what else would we long for? Vocals-only album? Instrumental track only album? Complete stereo mix of the Disc 1 version of the album? Barnyard without flown-in vocals? Any more rogue acetates that have surfaced? Brian's Child is the Father mix/acetate?

The version of Barbarian, stripped of Party sounds, that appeared on Made in California might be seen as a clue to the up-coming November Party! Naked release… any other clues in that box, for other sets to come?

Dreamin' again…

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2015, 05:03:21 PM »

The version of Barbarian, stripped of Party sounds, that appeared on Made in California might be seen as a clue to the up-coming November Party! Naked release… any other clues in that box, for other sets to come?

The stripped version of Barbara Ann first appeared on 2001’s Hawthorne, CA comp, so I suggest you look there first for any “clues.”

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2015, 06:40:21 PM »

I'm really impressed by the reactions over here... Don't get me wrong, this is better than NOTHING; but out of universe of things that can be released they chose this?Huh Party must be one of the least interesting and most boring albums of their entire catalogue. Fragile production, "empty" sounds & crappy vocals (some parts even out of tune). Plus, this compilation is full of chat-fillers and repeated songs; and 90% of those songs are or were available somewhere (even on YouTube...), I've got most of them. Songs that I only played once.

Who's the target of this product? Super-mega-archi-hardcore fans? Cause those are the only ones who will buy this. Sorry to be a downer, but I'm just disappointed. What we have to do to get all the great still-unreleased songs, or deep live cuts?  Huh Huh Huh
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2015, 07:24:37 PM »

I mean seriously.. Of all there albums THIS one gets special treatment. Lame.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2015, 07:39:32 PM »

since when has the party lp ever been certified gold?

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2015, 10:14:28 PM »

The cover is literally the Party cover with inverted color palette and new B&W photos. They probably should have inverted the photographs as well so that it would be more obvious. That cyan and blue doesn't really work together at first glance.

Also, it's blatantly obvious that this is being issued for copyright reasons, and also so that the real archival release for 1965 isn't disproportionately focused on Party.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 10:20:19 PM by puni puni » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2015, 10:23:39 PM »

The stripped version of Barbara Ann first appeared on 2001’s Hawthorne, CA comp, so I suggest you look there first for any “clues.”

Fair-do… bad memory! Smiley

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx