gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680796 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 07:03:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BEACH BOYS’ PARTY! Uncovered and Unplugged  (Read 66961 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2015, 10:24:25 PM »

Looks like we got a new archival release coming down the pipeline! 2 CD set and vinyl. From Capitol. Amazon currently says “This title will be released on November 20, 2015.”

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016J8GG5E
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 10:53:46 PM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 10:33:14 PM »

Maybe they'll do two sets of Archive Releases like they did last year. One with Summer Days/Today sessions and another for this.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 11:43:19 PM »

This one seemed to have crept up out of nowhere! Be interesting to hear what else was covered at the Party! sessions.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 11:51:43 PM »

Maybe they'll do two sets of Archive Releases like they did last year. One with Summer Days/Today sessions and another for this.
Summer Days/Today sessions CD? How did I miss this?
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 03:55:36 AM »

You didn't. He's hoping they release that too for copyright protection purposes
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 04:05:59 AM »

When I read "unplugged" made me think of the "93 Box Set tour, when they did the acoustic stuff in the middle of the show. I would love to hear that remastered.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 06:40:05 AM »

If this is the 1965 "copyright extension" set, then the weird thing is that they're apparently going the physical CD (and vinyl) route for the first time.

My guess would be this set is something a bit more elaborate than some of the other odds and ends released on various "copyright extension" sets; otherwise I can't see them justifying putting this out on CD and vinyl.

I welcome any archival releases, though I still wish something more interesting and totally unheard (live stuff from the 70s, Brother-era studio outtakes) would be released in an elaborate package as opposed to last-minute "copyright extension" sets (albeit with the most effort and thoughtfulness put in as possible could be).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 06:58:01 AM »

So no digital release?  If no, why?
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 07:49:10 AM »

Found this:
http://rpmdistribution.ca/docs/86042_newreleasebook_universalmusiccanada___________72.pdf?LanguageID=EN-US

Page 27
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 07:56:42 AM »

I see sb asked question about other covers - um, could it be possible there is sth. beyond Ruby Baby, Smokey Joe's Cafe etc? Somehow I doubt but would like to be wrong.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 08:05:21 AM »

Good sleuthing. Looks like that's the tracklisting. Also looks like final album artwork hasn't been finalized, as they just have the original album cover as a placeholder.

I'm guessing this is still a "copyright extension" set, albeit one with a single, unified theme that perhaps they were able to convince Capitol/Universal to get behind with a more elaborate package and actual physical relase.

"Party" has never been the most exciting BB-related thing for me, so I'm still hoping this can be the great start to a more elaborate archival release program with more interesting, substantive material.

I would still assume this will *also* get a download/digital release as well.

I'm curious if there will be additional "copyright extension" sets as well; and perhaps some of the others with a less singular theme may get a digital-only release like past sets.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 08:44:07 AM »

Is there anything on this that wasn't on Unsurpassed Masters?
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 08:56:31 AM »

Maybe the actual 1965 copyright extension set will have the two Chicago gigs on it...I'll take that and this Party set!

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 09:38:36 AM »

Maybe the actual 1965 copyright extension set will have the two Chicago gigs on it...I'll take that and this Party set!

I've been anticipating the '65 Chicago gigs ever since they began releasing the copyright extension sets.  Hope they'll be released.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 09:43:45 AM »

For a minute I was wondering whether this was official or whether it was similar to the Surfin' 1962 set. Looking forward to this. I think it often gets overlooked because it's not 'serious', but that's a big mistake.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 12:14:13 PM »

Great news! Party is one of my very favorite Beach Boys albums!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 12:20:17 PM »

So no digital release?  If no, why?
It’ll have a digital release I’m sure, that’s just not up for pre-order yet!

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Blake Alan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 12:31:14 PM »

I've been anticipating the '65 Chicago gigs ever since they began releasing the copyright extension sets.  Hope they'll be released.

Ditto. I'll be happy with whatever we get, but seeing the separate release of the Sacramento shows last year did make it seem like a real possibility. Let's keep our fingers crossed...
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 01:13:43 PM »

You didn't. He's hoping they release that too for copyright protection purposes
But there were 2 sets of archive releases last year? Somehow I missed this. Wasn't aware of anything new since MIC.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 02:13:13 PM »

Very exciting news. Finally taking a page out of the Dylan Bootleg Series book. Funny we didn't hear some kind of rumbling about this on the board.  Guess our resident insiders to BRI are now on the outside???

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 02:17:46 PM »

Very exciting news. Finally taking a page out of the Dylan Bootleg Series book. Funny we didn't hear some kind of rumbling about this on the board.  Guess our resident insiders to BRI are now on the outside???

I wouldn’t yet characterize these BB archival releases as anything on the magnitude of the Dylan series. Everything about these “Copyright Extension” releases so far has struck me as much more a case of some folks convincing BRI and Capitol that there’s a business necessity in putting these sets out, and then we’re just lucky that they have someone like Alan Boyd in there who will make such release as great as they can possibly be.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 02:40:52 PM »

Very exciting news. Finally taking a page out of the Dylan Bootleg Series book. Funny we didn't hear some kind of rumbling about this on the board.  Guess our resident insiders to BRI are now on the outside???

I wouldn’t yet characterize these BB archival releases as anything on the magnitude of the Dylan series. Everything about these “Copyright Extension” releases so far has struck me as much more a case of some folks convincing BRI and Capitol that there’s a business necessity in putting these sets out, and then we’re just lucky that they have someone like Alan Boyd in there who will make such release as great as they can possibly be.

Didn't the whole Dylan bootleg series sprung from the copyright issue? I mean, they are releasing ALL the Dylan recordings from 65-66. What, 16 CDS? It's no coincidence it coincides with the copyright running out for those recordings,

The fact that it is a two CD set with multiple takes of previously released material. Also, releasing the songs without the Party sounds mimics Dylan's bootleg series release of New Self Potrait with all the overdubs removed.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 02:48:10 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 03:15:17 PM »

Very exciting news. Finally taking a page out of the Dylan Bootleg Series book. Funny we didn't hear some kind of rumbling about this on the board.  Guess our resident insiders to BRI are now on the outside???

Didn't the whole Dylan bootleg series sprung from the copyright issue? I mean, they are releasing ALL the Dylan recordings from 65-66. What, 16 CDS? It's no coincidence it coincides with the copyright running out for those recordings,

The fact that it is a two CD set with multiple takes of previously released material. Also, releasing the songs without the Party sounds mimics Dylan's bootleg series release of New Self Potrait with all the overdubs removed.

I was comparing the magnitude/breadth of the program more than the origins. The Dylan sets don't scream "bare minimum" so much. The BB 1964 studio set certainly left out TONS of material that had circulated on the SOT studio sets. For whatever legal reason, the "Copyright Extension" sets apparently don't have to include every second of studio material. Same thing with the 1963 Beatles set, including numerous takes of songs yet leaving numerous takes out for whatever reason that still hasn't been fully explained.

I'm not a Dylan expert, so I don't know how careful they were to collect everything for the Dylan set, but 16 CDs suggests a wide opening of the vaults. Whereas, with the BBs, they certainly could have gone well beyond what they did on the "Keep an Eye on Summer" BB set from last year.

The BB sets strike me more like Alan Boyd and folks like that wringing as much as they can out from the resources, direction, time, and budget they are given.

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 05:02:54 PM »

That, or they know better than to talk about a confidential project on a public message board.

Lee
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 05:45:52 PM »

That, or they know better than to talk about a confidential project on a public message board.

Lee

Huh? Talk of MIC and other releases hit the board before they reach Amazon. Atleast hints. Confidential? This isn't the Pentagon or MI-6.  Shocked

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx