gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:54:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BEACH BOYS’ PARTY! Uncovered and Unplugged  (Read 66880 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2015, 10:49:38 PM »

<<couldn't disagree more, it was apparent to me that voice's Deans without guessing upon first hearing .>>

Sorry, dead wrong.  I've known Dean for decades.  This is Carl's voice; I am sure Andrew or Alan or any longtime scholar can confirm.

Having never met Dean, and only met Carl once, but after years of listening to their respective voices I must say that I agree completely that that is not Dean's voice, but rather Carl disguising his voice, followed by Al with an "Oh, shh ..."
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2015, 10:55:06 PM »

Concerning the cover ... for an "Uncovered and Unplugged" release I think the cover works extremely well, as it's based on the original but is clearly differentiated from it with the inverted color palette and black and white studio photos. No way would anyone mistake this for the original, but it's obviously based on the original.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2015, 11:20:15 PM »

Uncovered, unplugged and soon to be released:

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/the-beach-boys-party-uncovered-and.html
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2015, 04:06:31 AM »

Listening to that scripted dialogue on the Made In California boxed-set from the party sessions--Dean Torrence identifying himself as Al Jardine, Dennis' mechanical "Come In" reply to the knocking sound effect, plus "Hey Dave, YOU BROUGHT THE RECORDS!" are all positively a scream to me.  Give me more of that hilarious nonsense

It is NOT Dean doing the Al Jardine parody - it IS Carl. Smiley

And, it's not "Hey Dave, YOU BROUGHT THE RECORDS!" - it's "Hey Steve, YOU BROUGHT THE RECORDS!" - as in Steve Korthof. Although "Dave" (as in Dave Marks) does get name-checked at some point - kind of like former members Dave and Glen were name-checked in-between takes at the "Our Prayer" session a year later. Wow - hard to believe the were recording SMiLE a mere YEAR after recording Party!.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:07:45 AM by c-man » Logged
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2015, 06:25:59 AM »

Cheers!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2015, 08:32:34 AM »

The cover is literally the Party cover with inverted color palette and new B&W photos. They probably should have inverted the photographs as well so that it would be more obvious. That cyan and blue doesn't really work together at first glance.

Also, it's blatantly obvious that this is being issued for copyright reasons, and also so that the real archival release for 1965 isn't disproportionately focused on Party.

But it's interesting that, assuming the motivation for this release is the "Copyright Extension" issue, they chose to go with a physical release (both CD and vinyl), which, while always welcomed and preferable to download-only, gives the release a bit more of a "prestige" sort of vibe.

And in that sense, it is rather ironic that one of their semi-throwaway albums (yes, I know many like it; I certainly like it too, just not more than many if not most of their other albums) is getting a nicer archival physical deluxe release than any other album in their catalog other than "Pet Sounds" or "Smile."

Pointing out the irony really doesn't serve much purpose though, because we know the likely reason (copyright extension) the set exists in the first place, and it may well just be a case of someone managing to somehow pitch a physical release to Capitol/Universal and BRI.

We can also only hope that if a nicer, deluxe physical release like this is well-received by fans and critics, BRI will be convinced to do more archival packages like this, rather than doing more hits CDs with a smattering of "new" archival stuff.

I do still worry that BRI has no motivation to champion and perhaps even release the material themselves rather than going through Capitol/Universal. Obviously, if a major label like that wants to get behind a release, it will get out to more people. But assuming Capitol/Universal isn't interested in big deluxe sets for many or all of the BBs albums (and I'm not sure a label would be right now, considering a hunk of the album catalog has been reissued *multiple* times just in the last three or so years), I really hope BRI self-distributes (digitally at least) more archival studio and live material.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:35:40 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2015, 12:02:53 PM »

I think the fact that it's technically two albums (the original with party overdubs and the songs without the party overdubs plus sessions) makes it an easy archival release with some appeal.  I like that I could play the Hawthorne Devoted To You instead of the party version if I wanted to.  Now you have basically everything.  I never got around to getting these sessions on bootleg, so for me, it's mostly all new. 
KDS
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2015, 12:05:13 PM »

It looks like Amazon's list price is $19.99. 

Released on Nov 20th, just in time for Christmas......just like 50 years ago.   
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2015, 12:15:35 PM »

Listening to that scripted dialogue on the Made In California boxed-set from the party sessions--Dean Torrence identifying himself as Al Jardine, Dennis' mechanical "Come In" reply to the knocking sound effect, plus "Hey Dave, YOU BROUGHT THE RECORDS!" are all positively a scream to me.  Give me more of that hilarious nonsense

It is NOT Dean doing the Al Jardine parody - it IS Carl. Smiley

And, it's not "Hey Dave, YOU BROUGHT THE RECORDS!" - it's "Hey Steve, YOU BROUGHT THE RECORDS!" - as in Steve Korthof. Although "Dave" (as in Dave Marks) does get name-checked at some point - kind of like former members Dave and Glen were name-checked in-between takes at the "Our Prayer" session a year later. Wow - hard to believe the were recording SMiLE a mere YEAR after recording Party!.

Thanks for confirming Craig.  It's obvious to me it's Carl as well.

Hideyo -- sorry, but you were also the one who thought you heard Dennis playing drums and Carl playing guitar on "The Monkey's Uncle," and "Blind a, blind a" on "Surf's Up"...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:46:27 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2015, 12:24:47 PM »

The cover is literally the Party cover with inverted color palette and new B&W photos. They probably should have inverted the photographs as well so that it would be more obvious. That cyan and blue doesn't really work together at first glance.

Also, it's blatantly obvious that this is being issued for copyright reasons, and also so that the real archival release for 1965 isn't disproportionately focused on Party.

But it's interesting that, assuming the motivation for this release is the "Copyright Extension" issue, they chose to go with a physical release (both CD and vinyl), which, while always welcomed and preferable to download-only, gives the release a bit more of a "prestige" sort of vibe.

And in that sense, it is rather ironic that one of their semi-throwaway albums (yes, I know many like it; I certainly like it too, just not more than many if not most of their other albums) is getting a nicer archival physical deluxe release than any other album in their catalog other than "Pet Sounds" or "Smile."

Pointing out the irony really doesn't serve much purpose though, because we know the likely reason (copyright extension) the set exists in the first place, and it may well just be a case of someone managing to somehow pitch a physical release to Capitol/Universal and BRI.

We can also only hope that if a nicer, deluxe physical release like this is well-received by fans and critics, BRI will be convinced to do more archival packages like this, rather than doing more hits CDs with a smattering of "new" archival stuff.

I do still worry that BRI has no motivation to champion and perhaps even release the material themselves rather than going through Capitol/Universal. Obviously, if a major label like that wants to get behind a release, it will get out to more people. But assuming Capitol/Universal isn't interested in big deluxe sets for many or all of the BBs albums (and I'm not sure a label would be right now, considering a hunk of the album catalog has been reissued *multiple* times just in the last three or so years), I really hope BRI self-distributes (digitally at least) more archival studio and live material.

It is very ironic. Absolutely. I'll bet it may have something to do with the fact that this box set can be marketed as The BBs covering BOTH The Beatles + The Stones songs, with the "Satisfaction" cover being previously completely unreleased. Multiple cover songs of two the most famous 60s bands, being covered by another one of the most famous 60s bands, is not something that happens too often, so maybe that helped lend itself towards the physical release concept.

Plus, the whole original idea of the Party album at the time of its release (I think?) was for it to be a record that emulates an actual party, and thus for the listener to grab their potato chips, beers, and friends, and sit back to spin the album on vinyl at a party with friends (or by themselves, thus creating the sonic illusion of being at a party). Maybe it makes a little more sense for this set (instead of the piecemeal previous copyright extension releases) to get a physical release, when viewed in that context.

I still wish they'd all be released with physical options, but I'm just glad they're coming out at all!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:26:20 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2015, 12:56:32 PM »

nothing to be sorry about.  That ('Al Jardine') voice's Dean's
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2015, 01:44:20 PM »

What is in the "free gift from the Beach Boys" box next to the album in that photo of Brian? Is it peanuts or something? I've seen that photo before and never paid attention to it. That would be a great collectible to have ....whatever it is.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2015, 01:50:15 PM »

Really cool that the release is not just another reissue padded out with bonus tracks. Give or take a few tracks it's ALL previously unreleased stuff. It'd be nice to have these in release quality.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2015, 02:09:37 PM »

What is in the "free gift from the Beach Boys" box next to the album in that photo of Brian? Is it peanuts or something? I've seen that photo before and never paid attention to it. That would be a great collectible to have ....whatever it is.
The legendary Party bag 'o chips:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16859.msg419303.html#msg419303

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2015, 02:55:05 PM »

Thanks Alan. Wow I never knew about this. And no one has seen one or knows if any still exist huh? I bet one turns up some day.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2015, 02:59:48 PM »

Thanks Alan. Wow I never knew about this. And no one has seen one or knows if any still exist huh? I bet one turns up some day.

Yeah! It would be a great find historically, not to mention all the collectors who are hungry for this item.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2015, 11:27:11 PM »

OK, so here's what I wanna know ...

AFSIK, the BB Party album potato chip bags are unknown to exist in collector circles, despite the Billboard article, which claims that a million nickel bags of BB Party Album potato chips bags would be manufactured, packed in counter holders of 50 bags each.

We have a promo photo of Brian in a record store with an in-store display of the bags of chips, but there is no way that display would hold 50 bags, as mentioned in the Billboard article. So -- has anyone ever even claimed to have seen or received (for free or as a part of a BB Party album purchase) one of those bags? Has anyone done a close-up zoom to help determine if the potato chip bags in the BW record store photos actually contain potato chip bags with images of the BB Party album?

It seems to me that if such potato chips bags ever existed in the quantity mentioned that by now at least one of those bags would have shown up, for example found stuffed (empty) by the original owner inside a copy of the Party album LP.

The bottom line for me is I'm wondering if those promotional bags of potato bags were ever manufactured and released to the public. Considering the rare BB stuff that has shown up over the years, I'm thinking that the potato chips bags were never manufactured.

Comments?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 11:51:04 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2015, 12:00:32 AM »

OK, so here's what I wanna know ...

AFSIK, the BB Party album potato chip bags are unknown to exist in collector circles, despite the Billboard article, which claims that a million nickel bags of BB Party Album potato chips bags would be manufactured, packed in counter holders of 50 bags each.

We have a promo photo of Brian in a record store with an in-store display of the bags of chips, but there is no way that display would hold 50 bags, as mentioned in the Billboard article. So -- has anyone ever even claimed to have seen or received (for free or as a part of a BB Party album purchase) one of those bags? Has anyone done a close-up zoom to help determine if the potato chip bags in the BW record store photos actually contain potato chip bags with images of the BB Party album?

It seems to me that if such potato chips bags ever existed in the quantity mentioned that by now at least one of those bags would have shown up, for example found stuffed (empty) by the original owner inside a copy of the Party album LP.

The bottom line for me is I'm wondering if those promotional bags of potato bags were ever manufactured and released to the public. Considering the rare BB stuff that has shown up over the years, I'm thinking that the potato chips bags were never manufactured.

Comments?

Hey Custom - check out the link I posted just above, read GuitarFool's thoughts & continue Jim Murphy's post - I think you guys are on the same page.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2015, 02:41:03 AM »

Quote from Jim Murphy on the thread Alan linked:

"The Great Potato Chip Bag Mystery deepens . . . . Thanks MFP for the link to the Billboard article. 

So, Capitol manufactures one million bags of chips with the Party album graphics and, so far, not one has surfaced? That just seems to defy the odds. Could it be they were all eaten? Maybe Bruce Johnston squirreled away a bag or two that are resting comfortably in his Beach Boys storage locker!  With the albums's 50th anniversary not too far off, maybe Capitol/EMI will release a Deluxe Edition with all the other tracks recorded for the album and recreate the great potato chip give-away"

Maybe this is why we are getting a physically release of the copyright extension Party! album! We can dream...

Jim, I bet you didn't think when you wrote that we would actually get a deluxe release.  Or did you?  Grin
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2015, 05:58:25 AM »

Not.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2015, 06:48:20 AM »

Y'know, saying the guy who not only did the liners but also listened to the original session tapes is wrong is, to be polite about it, seriously stupid.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2015, 07:40:44 AM »

Y'know, saying the guy who not only did the liners but also listened to the original session tapes is wrong is, to be polite about it, seriously stupid.

Currently typical board form Sad

“We live in divisive times.”
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2015, 09:42:07 AM »

Back to the chips. I missed the discussion a couple of years back...but this really cool.

I have collected bubble gum cards, and anyone that is into that hobby knows it's very rare for a full display box of say Beatles cards to turn up. Less rare an unopened pack, even less rare a loose wrapper. And of corse the cards themselves are easy to come by. Bubble gum cards were produced in huge numbers and sold in anything from a candy store to a hardware store. Since it is very rare to find display boxes and unopened boxes it would seem very unlikely an unopened bag of party chips and or the display is out there.

If Beach Boys Party Chips were really produced, there would have been no where near the amount of Batman or Beatles or Astronauts bubble gum boxes that were manufactured and distributed. HOWEVER, if these chips really were available at place of purchase for the album...then would wager minimally, a couple of Party albums out there somewhere have got to have an empty wrapper folded for a keepsake and stuck in the album sleeve. Teenagers without a doubt would have done that. We saved our bubble gum wrappers pressed in books and such. 50 years later and nothing.....leads me in the direction that full production and distribution of chips never materialized.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2015, 09:53:23 AM »

It's Carl Wilson. 

There were several sessions for the Party album in August and September of 1965.  Dean was not present for that particular session.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2015, 10:24:24 AM »

It looks like Amazon's list price is $19.99. 

Released on Nov 20th, just in time for Christmas......just like 50 years ago.   
Same date as Adele's new album. My daughter and I will both have a good day!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx