gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 02:31:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Timin': Live At Knebworth 1980 questions  (Read 4367 times)
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2015, 09:55:42 PM »

Few questions on the Good Timin': Live At Knebworth 1980 CD and Concert. Does anyone know the complete set list from this concert and why the whole concert was not put on the album? Thanks
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 10:20:53 PM »

Few questions on the Good Timin': Live At Knebworth 1980 CD and Concert. Does anyone know the complete set list from this concert and why the whole concert was not put on the album? Thanks

Setlists.fm  should have the full setlist. As for the omitted tracks, a few were left of due to performance quality (Santa Ana Winds was apparently a rough run through), Bruce reportedly asked for "I Write the Songs" to be dropped. I also recall Alan Boyd mentioning the label asking for a 70 minute runtime for the video. Also, the cost for sync rights for the songs on the DVD were probably an issue as well.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 10:47:38 PM »

From Eric's oustanding Beach Boys setlists website:

http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/6-20-80.html

SETLIST

1. California Girls
2. Sloop John B (Brian/Mike/Carl)
3. Darlin'
4. School Days
5. In My Room
6. Good Timin'
7. God Only Knows
8. Be True to Your School
9. Do It Again
10. Little Deuce Coupe
11. Catch a Wave
12. Cottonfields
13. Heroes & Villains (#12-13 performed as a medley)
14. Some of Your Love
15. Happy Birthday (in honor of Brian's 38th birthday)
16. Keepin' the Summer Alive
17. Lady Lynda
18. Surfer Girl
19. I Write The Songs (Bruce dedicates this to Dennis, who is present)
20. Santa Ana Winds
21. Help Me Rhonda
22. Wouldn't It Be Nice
23. Rock & Roll Music
24. I Get Around
25. Surfin' USA
Encore:
26. You Are So Beautiful
27. Good Vibrations
28. Barbara Ann
29. Fun Fun Fun

Contributed by: Alan Boyd
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 10:51:19 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 11:02:40 PM »

As to why it wasn't all included in the release, well one or two songs weren't quite as strong as others  Santa Ana Winds was played live for the first time that night and, if my memory's true, Al or someone had to find written lyric sheets before they could pull it off. Suspect this happens with most live releases by many bands: performances from various nights are cobbled together, songs omitted etc, as they try to get the fewest flaws possible. Notorious case was John Martyn's Live at Leeds, the bulk of which, it later transpired, wasn't even recorded at Leeds.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 06:42:58 AM »

All the same, there's an audio bootleg of the entire show (from a radio broadcast, if I remember correctly), and that "run through" of "Santa Ana Winds" ain't that bad!
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 08:14:13 AM »

Yes that's true about SAW. Also, the sound check is a lot of fun with Mike and Brian singing an impromptu version of Bermuda Shorts in regards to the cold, June weather
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 11:18:04 AM »

I'll never understand why the song "Good Timin'" itself wasn't included.  It must have been considered initially, given the title of the DVD.  The performance now circulates in very poor quality on YouTube and it's pretty good with Brian singing some prominent vocals on the last chorus. https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZtcbfLnRfpo

I also wish they had included "Wouldn't It Be Nice", just because it's one of my favorite songs and I love the performances with Al singing lead from those days.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 11:18:27 AM »

All the same, there's an audio bootleg of the entire show (from a radio broadcast, if I remember correctly), and that "run through" of "Santa Ana Winds" ain't that bad!

Y're right on course … the boot is on the Stone Age label and there's another disc released separately of sound beck and various Adrian Baker (I think) radio spots or similar (long time since I gave that a spin)…

The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 07:32:03 PM »

Yes that's true about SAW. Also, the sound check is a lot of fun with Mike and Brian singing an impromptu version of Bermuda Shorts in regards to the cold, June weather

Thanks for the info everyone! Here are some Sound Checks from that concert INCLUDING Bermuda Shorts

Play List of 9 Sound Checks https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvRRaqL2VXRVp67tPcnnP04D1-sqYnQuh

Bermuda Shorts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwYtaR8j-NQ
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 08:59:15 PM by The_Beach » Logged
KDS
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 05:21:38 AM »

Was the DVD just a reissue of the original VHS? 

When Queen finally released the often bootlegged 1974 Rainbow concert last year, they did a wonderful job remastering and included the tracks that were left off the original theatrical release and bootlegs.  They could've just released the original version on DVD, sold a bunch of copies, and called it a day.  But, as has been pointed out before, some band entities just care more about achieve releases. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 06:37:04 AM »

When Queen finally released the often bootlegged 1974 Rainbow concert last year, they did a wonderful job remastering and included the tracks that were left off the original theatrical release and bootlegs.  They could've just released the original version on DVD, sold a bunch of copies, and called it a day.  But, as has been pointed out before, some band entities just care more about achieve releases. 

Knebworth was never released on VHS or any other format. The 2002/2003 CD and DVD releases were the first official releases.

They had previously released the Washington DC 1980 show, on VHS and then DVD, and only in Japan.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 06:58:49 AM »

Knebworth was never released on VHS or any other format. The 2002/2003 CD and DVD releases were the first official releases.

They had previously released the Washington DC 1980 show, on VHS and then DVD, and only in Japan.

I didn't know that.  I just thought it was an older VHS that was released on DVD. 
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 07:02:00 AM »

In My Room wasn't on there for a simple reason - Brian's clearly playing another song until well into the first verse.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 08:45:15 PM »

In My Room wasn't on there for a simple reason - Brian's clearly playing another song until well into the first verse.
I would like to listen to that! Is there anywhere or any way i could listen to that?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 02:09:49 PM »

I love this version of Good Timin' with the extra Brian vocal toward the end. This could've been my 2nd favourite moment of the whole DVD (with the whole of Surfer Girl at #1; pure magic!).
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 02:26:23 PM »

Ka-splanga:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HbETp0-qcI

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 02:32:57 PM »

The whole show was recorded and broadcast at a later date by Capital Radio, London. These tapes have the show unsweetened.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 04:33:28 PM »

1980 is always one of my favorite years for the BB. The backing band was small, the guys themselves were singing almost all of the parts themselves without sidemen help. The last year they were a Rock and Roll band before becoming an oldies band.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 07:11:54 PM »

I'll never understand why the song "Good Timin'" itself wasn't included.  It must have been considered initially, given the title of the DVD.  The performance now circulates in very poor quality on YouTube and it's pretty good with Brian singing some prominent vocals on the last chorus. https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZtcbfLnRfpo

I agree with this 100 percent.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 12:20:06 AM »

Knebworth is indeed on VHS - I  bought it shortly after it came out.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 05:34:21 AM »

Yes, I was going to mention that the 2003 release probably came out on VHS as wel,l as VHS was still a going concern at the time. But I think the original question concerned whether the 2003 release was a reissue of an old VHS release from years prior. The only VHS release would be one that was concurrent with the DVD in 2003.

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 05:35:14 AM »

Thanks !
KDS
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 05:39:14 AM »

Yes, I was going to mention that the 2003 release probably came out on VHS as wel,l as VHS was still a going concern at the time. But I think the original question concerned whether the 2003 release was a reissue of an old VHS release from years prior. The only VHS release would be one that was concurrent with the DVD in 2003.

Yes, my original question was concerning a possible old VHS release, as I know it was common practice to release truncated concert films on VHS (The Beach Boys are the only band to continue to release truncated concert films in the DVD/Blu Ray age). 
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 05:42:45 AM »

I Write the Songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4Cpic4N57Y
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 10:14:20 AM »

Love this show, but the autotune (especially on California Girls) is miles beyond cringeworthy.

Very Star Wars Special Edition style, akin to adding CG to a non-CG universe. As bad as it is on the 2012 live CD, it's somehow even worse when it's blatantly heard on a decades-old vintage concert.

"Mike, you hit a few bum notes on that track 30 years ago, but no problem... we can fix that... *nobody* will know"

LOL
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 10:45:18 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx