gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:57:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cousins, Friends, and Brothers - lost album?  (Read 8247 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2007, 06:17:55 PM »

Regarding the last couple of posts (referencing whether City Blues was a Dennis-and-Brian or just a Brian composition), it could be both. Dennis may have contributed something that was intended to be a part of an earlier version--such as lyrics, for example--that didn't make the eventually released version. It's possible Brian was correct both when talking to the fans in '82 and in '04.

Of course, it's just as possible he doesn't remember whether Dennis co-wrote it. Or that he mistakenly said Dennis co-wrote it back then. Or any other number of possibilities we probably can't speak accurately about now.

The demo that exists from the Brian & Dennis so-called "Cocaine Sessions" tape doesn't have anything that's missing from the final version.  I wonder if Brian was "told" to say that Dennis didn't cowrite it, so they wouldn't have to mess with royalties and the like.  Again, just speculation.  Who knows. 

Regarding "Ten Years" / "Endless Harmony" - even in the "L.A." days, Bruce said he would sing the first verse and Carl would sing the part where it went from third-to-first person.  So unless the "So Tough" version did the same, they probably would have re-recorded it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 03:02:13 AM »

Regarding the last couple of posts (referencing whether City Blues was a Dennis-and-Brian or just a Brian composition), it could be both. Dennis may have contributed something that was intended to be a part of an earlier version--such as lyrics, for example--that didn't make the eventually released version. It's possible Brian was correct both when talking to the fans in '82 and in '04.

Of course, it's just as possible he doesn't remember whether Dennis co-wrote it. Or that he mistakenly said Dennis co-wrote it back then. Or any other number of possibilities we probably can't speak accurately about now.

The demo that exists from the Brian & Dennis so-called "Cocaine Sessions" tape doesn't have anything that's missing from the final version.  I wonder if Brian was "told" to say that Dennis didn't cowrite it, so they wouldn't have to mess with royalties and the like.  Again, just speculation.  Who knows. 

Regarding "Ten Years" / "Endless Harmony" - even in the "L.A." days, Bruce said he would sing the first verse and Carl would sing the part where it went from third-to-first person.  So unless the "So Tough" version did the same, they probably would have re-recorded it.

The CATP-ST "Ten Years Of Harmony" is little more than a demo, if that. The released version is a complete re-recording.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 04:09:29 AM »

Not sure where I acquired my copy but I always thought it was a Bruce solo job recorded after he left the band.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 04:21:07 AM »

The first released version was as a B side to a California Music 45, "Don't Worry, Baby" (RCA-Equinox NB 10120, released 9/74), but Bruce cut a piano track & vocal during the CATP sessions.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2007, 08:34:36 AM »

Thanks again.  Smiley
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2007, 03:12:46 PM »

There's a vocal to the CATP version? Interesting.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2007, 03:50:59 PM »

Thanks for digging up this post, whoever did!  Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx