gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:04:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Do You Think? (Help out a youngster)  (Read 4846 times)
joehink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »

Hello, I'm under 20 and still deciding what I want to do in life and over the past year I've been going back and forth between interests, but recently I've come back to Pro Tools and audio in general. I had an idea for a project and decided to finish it to see where I'm at and hopefully get some advice. The idea was to try and make themes using music and sound effects that are based on different subjects. As I went, each one got a little further away from it's original subject matter, but I am comfortable saying that each one is at least inspired by Trains, Planes, and Boats. It was all recorded in Pro Tools, I play all the instruments besides the clip of "12th Street Rag" on the one titled "Boats", some of the sound effects I did myself, and the other ones I found online. If you don't have time to listen and respond to each one of them, I would hope you make sure to listen to "Boats"; that is the one that came the closest to what I wanted, in terms of a combination of music and sound effects. Please tell me what you think! This board has always been very nice, but I need a bit of the truth. I appreciate any feedback and I hope for a few responses.

Boats - https://soundcloud.com/user-609363677/boats
Instruments
  • Ukulele
  • Synth Clavinet
  • Synth Strings

Home Made Sound Effects
  • General Drink Sounds (ice water, pouring and sipping)
  • Squeaky Chair/Hammock
  • Blowing Bubbles in Water
  • New Years Ratchet Noisemaker

Trains - https://soundcloud.com/user-609363677/trains-short-version
Instruments
  • Piano
  • Synth Vibraphone
  • Synth Trumpets
  • Acoustic Guitar
  • Organ

Home Made Sound Effects
  • Wrenches
  • Inflating Concertina

Airplanes - https://soundcloud.com/user-609363677/airplanes-short-version
Instruments
  • Organs
  • Piano
  • Synth Strings
  • Synth Clavinet
  • Various Polysynths
  • Acoustic Guitar
  • Autoharp
  • Synth Trumpets
  • Shaker

Home Made Sound Effects
  • Windchimes
  • Some of the wind sound

I'm just starting out and I'm looking for all the feedback I can get, particularly about mixing. If you have something to say about the volume, panning or EQ on these, I'd love to hear it. Also, I know I'm not a very talented musician so whenever you think something sounds really bad let me know. Another thing I make important to myself is staying on tempo... if you notice anything offbeat say something please, so I can spare further embarrassment.

Thank you, Thank you
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:17:50 PM by joehink » Logged
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 07:12:03 PM »

joe, just listened to Boats and it sounds great. I'm a pretty amateur mixer myself, but quality-wise the fidelity and edits sounded good in headphones. Your recorded effects sound good too. This is all good practice for soundtrack type work, which these days is really composition and sound design in one. Nicely done and keep going!
joehink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 07:59:16 PM »

Thanks! I really liked "I'm In a Band"
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 07:34:59 PM »

Mr. hink, I've got questions - why concertina is listed in the "Home Made Sound Effects"? In the "Instruments", I see "Strings" & "Trumpets", then later "Synthesizers". Isn't the former 2 "synths"? This is small idea & because of that it can't be real string orchestra, is it right to say?

As is - good idea, I see it going towards "Means of travel", you should add "Bus" & "Car". Maybe record invisibly some bus chat, grumbling if passenger doesn't want to pay, lacks money. With a car, there is noise of key-turning, smashing door, beep etc. Good luck.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 07:52:26 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
joehink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 07:07:36 PM »

Thank you for the feedback. I used the concertina to sound like a steam train chugging along, I never used it to play notes, so I'll just call it a sound effect. You're right, the trumpets and strings are synthesized, so I'll change the original post. I considered doing one about cars, but decided to leave it as a trilogy. If I choose to continue with this theme, cars will be next. Thanks again
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 07:16:57 PM by joehink » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 02:52:03 AM »

"Trains" really grabbed me. It has a great "Steamboat/Smile" feel to it. Keep up the good work!

Can't help you on the mixing front, I'm afraid----everything sounds well-mixed to my cloth ears.  Grin 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
joehink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 08:34:24 PM »

That's a great compliment. Thank you! I was definitely trying to do these in the Smile style.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 11:06:43 PM »

everything sounds well-mixed to my cloth ears.
Exactly. I'm qualified enough to say that there isn't anything wrong with fidelity or sound/mixing quality. It isn't muddy, nor too loud. So I wasn't sure what to criticize it for. so I said nothing originally. I simply echo john & orange22.

I used the concertina to sound like a steam train chugging along, I never used it to play notes, so I'll just call it a sound effect.
Thanks, that explains. Do you usually work alone? There are musicians in this site who may want to work with you - what about e-collab? would you like to 'join forces'?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
joehink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 02:01:18 PM »

jakeg1235 put drums on an instrumental track I did about a month ago. I don't have much musical ability to contribute but I do have instruments. Acoustic Guitar, Keyboards, Ukulele, Concertina, Autoharp and a Tambourine... If anybody needed those instruments, I could try to help them out. 
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 10:22:17 AM »

I listened first, then read the comments.  I played the "SS.Net" track that's on your SoundCloud as well.  I'm with john k.  "Trains" is the best one.

On a side note, I got a chuckle by your user name - User 609363677.  Reminded me of the German guy on the Strain.  Razz

Keep working at it.

-Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
joehink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 11:19:24 AM »

Thank you very much. After taking these to a few professionals and having to listen to it with them, it became apparent that there is too much repeating in the music and that these should all be cut down.  So hopefully I'll have them all cut down and updated to be under 2 minutes within a week. Thank you everybody for helping me out.

- User 609363677
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 11:48:51 AM »

joehink,  Love your avatar.  Who is that in the photo with Brian?  Post a bigger version.  Don't think I've seen that one before.  And welcome to the forum.  -Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
joehink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 10:06:26 PM »

I have the file but not an internet link. Is there a way to upload a file? It looks like '77/'78 Brian and Al.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 10:08:22 PM by joehink » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 12:27:34 AM »

Is there a way to upload a file?
via tinypic. Follow instructions there. & yes, it's certainly Al.

joehink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 10:43:15 AM »

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2015, 12:47:10 PM »

Thanks joehink!  Sure I've never seen this one before.  Will work at finding the date.

My first Halloween treat of the day.  -Will

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2015, 12:49:54 PM »

What are you doing this Halloween Will?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2015, 03:47:50 PM »

Having my usual Saturday listening party.  The kids and candy part is almost over, they have to stop by 7pm in my area.  Been watching College football all day.  My Arkansas Razorbacks are winning big time right now.  We had a big lasagna dinner with Bloody Marys earlier.  Now the strong stuff is coming out.  It's been a magical day so far.  Will soon be better.  This is one of my very favorite holidays.

Hope you, and everybody, are enjoying yourselves...

-Will

joehink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2015, 10:30:49 PM »

I think it's a neat picture too. I just updated the three. Trains and Boats are largely the same... made "Trains" shorter by a few seconds and made it so the Ukulele on "Boats" wasn't as loud as it was. I cut over a minute out of "Airplanes", I think it helped a lot. Listen if you'd like. Thank you all for your feedback.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx