gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:37:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: David marks  (Read 30931 times)
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2015, 04:19:42 PM »

best wishes for a speedy recovery david...I had 3 stents placed over 5 years ago after a heart attack. doing fine. follow the doctor's orders and take your meds and you should do fine.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2015, 04:39:50 PM »

I guess I simply don't know the author nor his studio details, etc., so please pardon me for not understanding what recording session this is. If appropriate, please fill in the uninitiated.

Two of my three favorite songs on NPP are the Brian-Dave-Al songs--just love Dave's guitar work. Imagine what a new BB album would be with Bruce and Mike adding their "best" work lyrically, vocally, musically to team of B-D-A, who have proved that they can work together well and complement each other's talents.

Listened to the 2 Moon albums today--amazing.

Lots of inspiration and craft still to come from Dave as solo artist, guest artist, and, and I hope, as BB guitarist.

David was recording here a few weeks ago.  The tracks are dynamite...I think the guy has just begun to show the world what he can do.  So glad he's on the mend.

My name is Adam Marsland, Professor...pleased to meet you.

I did say some things about it on my Facebook page and on the studio (Karma Frog) page a few weeks back, but I guess it hasn't made it back to the message board, which is fine - I haven't made any real attempt to post anything about it here myself, given that I don't yet know what the final destination of the tracks - done in collaboration with a Spanish band - will be, and I don't want to speak ahead of Dave and Carrie's plans for same.  I don't know whether or not the tracks are intended for release.  I do certainly think the tracks Dave did are more than worthy of release, though.  Kick ass, blazing stuff!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:41:33 PM by adamghost » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2015, 05:16:50 PM »

I guess I simply don't know the author nor his studio details, etc., so please pardon me for not understanding what recording session this is. If appropriate, please fill in the uninitiated.

Two of my three favorite songs on NPP are the Brian-Dave-Al songs--just love Dave's guitar work. Imagine what a new BB album would be with Bruce and Mike adding their "best" work lyrically, vocally, musically to team of B-D-A, who have proved that they can work together well and complement each other's talents.

Lots of inspiration and craft still to come from Dave as solo artist, guest artist, and, and I hope, as BB guitarist.

David was recording here a few weeks ago.  The tracks are dynamite...I think the guy has just begun to show the world what he can do.  So glad he's on the mend.

I did say some things about it on my Facebook page and on the studio (Karma Frog) page a few weeks back, but I guess it hasn't made it back to the message board, which is fine - I haven't made any real attempt to post anything about it here myself, given that I don't yet know what the final destination of the tracks - done in collaboration with a Spanish band - will be, and I don't want to speak ahead of Dave and Carrie's plans for same.  I don't know whether or not the tracks are intended for release.  I do certainly think the tracks Dave did are more than worthy of release, though.  Kick ass, blazing stuff!
Hey Adam. Is it anything like the Aqua Velvets? Spanish flavored surf music? That would be amazing!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2015, 05:23:03 PM »

David was recording here a few weeks ago.  The tracks are dynamite...I think the guy has just begun to show the world what he can do.  So glad he's on the mend.

I did say some things about it on my Facebook page and on the studio (Karma Frog) page a few weeks back, but I guess it hasn't made it back to the message board, which is fine - I haven't made any real attempt to post anything about it here myself, given that I don't yet know what the final destination of the tracks - done in collaboration with a Spanish band - will be, and I don't want to speak ahead of Dave and Carrie's plans for same.  I don't know whether or not the tracks are intended for release.  I do certainly think the tracks Dave did are more than worthy of release, though.  Kick ass, blazing stuff!
Hey Adam. Is it anything like the Aqua Velvets? Spanish flavored surf music? That would be amazing!

Mmm...well, not exactly, but you're not totally out of the ballpark either.

Let's just say the Fender Showman got a workout.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2015, 05:30:01 PM »

Mmm...well, not exactly, but you're not totally out of the ballpark either.

Let's just say the Fender Showman got a workout.
Oh yeah. Awesome! Hoping for a quick recovery and can't wait to hear this project.

Thanks Adam

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2015, 07:38:46 PM »

Thank you Adam for that wonderful update, & I appreciate your discretion considering the unknown status of these tracks. You are evidently very professional and quite a gentleman. Many times, as a fan of David, I meant that he left the Beach Boys. But the journey of musical education and the personal journey into the depths of the human condition that he experienced have evidently made him at this point in his life ready for the finest stage of his artistic expression. Also the music with the marksman and with the moon is absolutely fascinating in and of itself, and in many cases, as Jon has argued in his book, ahead of its time. For this reason I am grateful for every bit of creativity and every track and every note that David plays with the Beach Boys and will play in any creative setting.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 07:39:55 PM by the professor » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2015, 09:18:13 PM »

Thank you Adam for that wonderful update, & I appreciate your discretion considering the unknown status of these tracks. You are evidently very professional and quite a gentleman. Many times, as a fan of David, I meant that he left the Beach Boys. But the journey of musical education and the personal journey into the depths of the human condition that he experienced have evidently made him at this point in his life ready for the finest stage of his artistic expression. Also the music with the marksman and with the moon is absolutely fascinating in and of itself, and in many cases, as Jon has argued in his book, ahead of its time. For this reason I am grateful for every bit of creativity and every track and every note that David plays with the Beach Boys and will play in any creative setting.
Adam is a modest guy for a rock star, which he is (in my eyes). He should be an honored guest on the Board but I doubt he wants the attention.
Professor, check out some of his amazing work: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_sr_music_1?ie=UTF8&field-artist=Adam+Marsland&search-alias=music

And of course, his Beach Boy -Carl and Dennis song homage: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_sr_music_1?ie=UTF8&field-artist=Adam+Marsland&search-alias=music
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 12:39:08 AM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2015, 11:27:00 PM »

Hey, does anyone have an update on David Marks' health? Is his recovery full and he's up and about? Will he need surgery? Etc? I hope all is well.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2015, 12:02:17 AM »

David is doing well, probably won't need any further surgery and should be back to normal soon. Well, as close to normal as he'll ever get...  LOL

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2015, 03:45:01 AM »

David is doing well, probably won't need any further surgery and should be back to normal soon. Well, as close to normal as he'll ever get...  LOL

Halleluja!   angel
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2015, 06:43:03 AM »

Great news. Thanks for the update Andrew.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2015, 08:43:02 AM »

If I were a BB, or if I had any of their ears, I would make a clear and distinct effort to play a series of shows together to celebrate Dave. Mike can tell B and A to come to the Hong Kong show or devise a series of gigs at the Bowl--do something to play together before we lose a 3rd BB.......Such a reunion could bring happiness to countless millions.

Well, I say this all the time, and  know many share my hope.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2015, 09:13:39 AM »

Great news!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2015, 02:27:06 PM »

David was just here earlier today finishing up his recording, and he seems to be hanging in there pretty well and with good humor.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2015, 07:52:22 PM »

David was just here earlier today finishing up his recording, and he seems to be hanging in there pretty well and with good humor.

Cool Adam! Great to get some insider info on this cool sounding project! Glad you are working with him and wonderful to hear he has bounced back so quickly! Can't wait to hear this record!

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2015, 08:09:42 PM »

David was hangin' around with a damn ghost today? Shocked

No sh*t!!!! Wink

S'all greatly cool. Cool Guy

Ta.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2015, 02:43:53 AM »

I think it's OK to say a bit more about it.  He has been collaborating with a Spanish surf band called the A-Phonics.  They came here over a two day period and banged out a whopping 19 tracks.  It's all rerecordings of older material, largely Beach Boys and Marksmen stuff, but it smokes -- especially the Marksmen material (and the BBs stuff has a cooler, more laconic "true surfer" quality to it) -- and it's a return to/reclamation of the surf sound.  David was on tour with the BBs at the time, and he came in later and overdubbed his guitar and vocals, and I produced and engineered.  The ethos at my place, Karma Frog, is about keeping things sounding spontaneous and organic/authentic (though not being a total Luddite about it), so aside from editing some stuff and adding some basic processing like reverb, everything is as was played.  The A-Phonics tracked live in the room, just like the old days.  No autotune was used nor needed; Dave did a great job on the vocals.  As a guitar player, really stellar to work with - great chops but more importantly full of creative ideas and also really responsive if you have a suggestion.  One of my favorite guitarists I've ever had in here.

Dave did it all old school; big Fender Showman amp, Fender Jaguar and a Strat on a few songs.  The tone and everything were vintage '63.  You hear that guitar in the mix, and it's the old Beach Boys sound.  You hear what he contributed to the band; there's a drive and electricity to it.  The whole thing came together quickly; we mixed down all 17 of the final tracks in one day.  Obviously, there were a few things that didn't sit after a few weeks, so Dave came back in to tweak a couple of things today, we spent a few hours on it, and then bang, it's done.  Again, like the old days; don't overthink it, just get it done and let it rock.

I think it's going to come out as some form of release, but I don't know the exact plan.  But the remakes of "Sheriff of Noddingham" and "Kustom Kar Show" absolutely shred in my opinion.  They rock harder than anything the BBs have done in quite awhile.  I played "Kar Show" about 20 times on repeat after we did the mix and Dave went home.

The whole project was a total pleasure to work on, and of course a privilege as well.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 02:57:55 AM by adamghost » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2015, 03:57:49 AM »

Great, Adam - can't wait!
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2015, 04:26:47 AM »

keep getting those social security checks..you deserve each one Dave.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2015, 10:02:00 AM »

Adam , thanks. I will pay to get this when it comes out. A dream come true, especially considering the technical and sonic state of those M-men tunes--they sound like old rusty 45s on the only album release I know about.

What a joy for you to be working on this project, in the vortex of BB history. My respects sir.

The Professor
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2015, 10:03:47 AM »

Thanks for the plug, Adam. I love what you were able to get out of the guys. It sounds exactly like what we hoped...1963!

I think Adam covered the backstory well enough, so I'll just reiterate how hard this collection rocks - think the Surfin' USA album if David, 15 year old Carl, and Dennis produced it. In my biased opinion, this may be some of the best musical evidence the early Beach Boys influenced the birth of the punk era. I will post some samples on David's Facebook page in the not too distant future.

David (with my help) also wrote a 12k word update to the Lost Beach Boy back in September which still needs to be viciously edited but is well on its way to becoming an interesting new last chapter to Jon's book as told by David himself.  In theory, the book update and the CD should both be released during the first quarter of 2016. Inshallah!

As for David's health: he was given the OK to resume business as usual as of last Friday...only two weeks from the day. It's amazing how quickly he recovered from the surgery (removal of a 99% blockage of the LAD artery - aka the widow-maker - and 3 stents inserted)...not that long ago he would've needed his chest cracked, but all he had was a small incision on his wrist.

More good news: the doctor who invented the stent is a Beach Boys fan! We met him at a private show David, Al & Dean and the All Stars played last year. In fact, that Still Touring video hijacked some of my footage (David driving the hot rod ) from that show.

To those not on Facebook who didn't get our updates, thank you so much for all the love during a scary moment! But, thank God, David beat the odds one more time and happens to have some of his best work in decades in the can to boot. There's a lot to be grateful for!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 10:06:08 AM by Carrie Marks » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2015, 10:08:05 AM »

Great news re David!! Thank you both to Carrie and to Adam for the updates. It IS a lot to be grateful for.

I look forward to hearing the album.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2015, 11:35:08 AM »

Great news re David!! Thank you both to Carrie and to Adam for the updates. It IS a lot to be grateful for.

I look forward to hearing the album.

Carrie's a class act...totally on the ball looking out for David and also a joy to work with, have to say.  And now I'll shut up.  Smiley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2015, 11:41:05 AM »

This news is terrific on every front! Many thanks Chaotic Adam and Carrie!

“We live in divisive times.”
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2015, 12:11:55 PM »

Wow, thanks Carrie. This sounds  like a dream come true, the fulfillment of the artistic vision that Dave and Carl had when they played as kids. The current BB (variously manifested) did not (have not as yet) been able to create that sound. I have always lamented that Beaches in Mind was a missed opportunity to let Dave rock out, but the production fails somehow. Perhaps Joe Thomas is not the producer that Adam is. Radio and NPP are "mellow as hell," and that's where BW wants to be, despite claims of wanting to rock.  I sure as heck hope he does not play to rock without Dave.

I have always , ad nauseam, wanted the BB together on an album, but it may very well be that Dave needs to work his own way, Brian needs to do the same, and that the artistic result of NPP (at its best featuring Dave and Al), and Dave's new work actually best manifests their skill and creativity. Perhaps the dream of the 5 together creatively is not the ideal.

I am longing for this album and promise to play it and learn from it and celebrate it and use it in my class on the BB.

Thanks for the plug, Adam. I love what you were able to get out of the guys. It sounds exactly like what we hoped...1963!

I think Adam covered the backstory well enough, so I'll just reiterate how hard this collection rocks - think the Surfin' USA album if David, 15 year old Carl, and Dennis produced it. In my biased opinion, this may be some of the best musical evidence the early Beach Boys influenced the birth of the punk era. I will post some samples on David's Facebook page in the not too distant future.

David (with my help) also wrote a 12k word update to the Lost Beach Boy back in September which still needs to be viciously edited but is well on its way to becoming an interesting new last chapter to Jon's book as told by David himself.  In theory, the book update and the CD should both be released during the first quarter of 2016. Inshallah!

As for David's health: he was given the OK to resume business as usual as of last Friday...only two weeks from the day. It's amazing how quickly he recovered from the surgery (removal of a 99% blockage of the LAD artery - aka the widow-maker - and 3 stents inserted)...not that long ago he would've needed his chest cracked, but all he had was a small incision on his wrist.

More good news: the doctor who invented the stent is a Beach Boys fan! We met him at a private show David, Al & Dean and the All Stars played last year. In fact, that Still Touring video hijacked some of my footage (David driving the hot rod ) from that show.

To those not on Facebook who didn't get our updates, thank you so much for all the love during a scary moment! But, thank God, David beat the odds one more time and happens to have some of his best work in decades in the can to boot. There's a lot to be grateful for!

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx