gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:47:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Louis Philippe?  (Read 1359 times)
frightfulhog
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2015, 01:32:19 PM »

Has anyone else heard this guy? He covered ""Guess I'm Dumb" and I think some other BBs tracks. Obsessing over his song "Martine" right now, honestly kinda brilliant.

dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 05:30:16 AM »

He's French, lives in London and has released a couple of CDs.

Watson, did you hear this?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 09:24:59 AM »

Does some Prefab Sprout covers too.  Where do you start with his stuff?
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 11:18:25 PM »

I think Louis Philippe is an amazing talent. He writes gorgeous twisty melodies, is an excellent producer and arranger, and also has one of the prettiest man-voices this side of Brian Wilson. He remains largely unknown, but I think any Beach Boys fan should check him out. There's one compilation of his work called 'A Kiss In the Funhouse' which is a really good starting point, but all of these other albums are easy recommendations too:

How I would rank them starting with the best:
Sunshine        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFsQO3MrSGw&index=9&list=PLQ7p6m0GiM8lsr7J-giNPlvD0qcKVlzYR
Delta Kiss
Azure (recorded with a full orchestra)
Jackie Girl
My Favorite Part Of You
Yuri Gagarin

Then, if one was hooked on the guy and wanted to explore the rest of his output there's also:
An Unknown Spring (his most recent, from 2007)
Jean Renoir (a collaboration with Dean Broderick- somewhat more experimental than usual)
Rainfall (another Dean Broderick collaboration)
Ivory Tower (a bit hit-and-miss but with some great stuff)
The Wonder Of It All (very good but a bit subdued)

For completists only:
Appointment With Venus
Let's Pretend (pretty rough sounding)

He also produced and oversaw these Psych-Sunshine Pop compilations (think  XTC's Dukes of Stratosphear)  where you can hear him prominently. They're both worth tracking down:
Algebra Spaghetti
Simultaneous Ice Cream

To respond to the other above posts, looking over Philippe's discography, I see only one other Brian Wilson cover that he ever released, a version of 'I Just Wasn't Made For These Times' from Rainfall. If he ever did a Prefab Sprout cover, I don't know what that would be. I'm pretty familiar with Prefab Sprout too.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 03:27:38 AM »

Thanks for that!

Nightingales, at least. I thought he'd done more, but maybe not. Like the first poster, I'm also pretty sure I've heard Guess I'm Dumb covered
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 05:37:05 AM »

Oh yes. I first came across his name in Abbott's Pet Sounds book, where he mentions Azure (on p. 165):

"With obvious and subtle Pet Sounds mood influences on an album's worth of totally beatiful songs, this is a magnificent record. 100% recommended to anyone reading this book."

Some tracks here: https://www.youtube.com/results?q=louis+philippe+azure

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx