gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 07:03:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jason Brewer Interviews Brian Wilson  (Read 6296 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2015, 07:25:54 AM »

New interview with Brian conducted by Explorers Club leader Jason Brewer. A few interesting things here....Brian seems interested in performing The Night Was So Young at future shows, and cites Busy Doin' Nothing as a song he doesn't like to perform.

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/charleston/brian-wilson-disciple-and-explorers-club-leader-jason-brewer-talks-with-the-beach-boys-mastermind/Content?oid=5517765

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 07:35:03 AM »

Brian's got a point with BDN - it's a pretty tricky melody to sing, and after a while it would start to feel like a bit of a chore to do.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 09:11:39 AM »

Not that anyone was indicating otherwise, but Brian did perform “The Night Was So Young” some years back. According to setlists.fm, they did it at least 13 times in 2002, and at least three more times in 2004.

But yeah, it would be cool if an interviewer can just throw a song title at Brian and actually get him to add the song to the setlist. Brian seems quite enthused about the song, at least that particular moment in the interview, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they actually add the song.

I wonder if Brian’s antipathy towards singing “Busy Doin’ Nothin’” means it’s gone for the foreseeable future.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 09:22:34 AM »

Yeah, I'd like to hear "The Night Was So Young", too. I hope Brian's band leader thinks it's a good idea.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 09:30:05 AM »

The Explorers Club apes Brian and the Pet Sounds sound better than anybody out there.  Technique, instrumentation, production, harmonies-- it's all there.  In fact, I often mix their Freedom Wind album into my Pet Sounds era playlists.  I can't wait for their new album.

EDIT: Now that I've read the interview, I'm stoked that Darian and Probyn contributed to the new album in some capacity!  Too bad Brewer couldn't get the man himself to at least add background vox. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 09:42:01 AM by bonnevillemariner » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 09:35:28 AM »

Not that anyone was indicating otherwise, but Brian did perform “The Night Was So Young” some years back. According to setlists.fm, they did it at least 13 times in 2002, and at least three more times in 2004.

But yeah, it would be cool if an interviewer can just throw a song title at Brian and actually get him to add the song to the setlist. Brian seems quite enthused about the song, at least that particular moment in the interview, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they actually add the song.

I wonder if Brian’s antipathy towards singing “Busy Doin’ Nothin’” means it’s gone for the foreseeable future.

Yes, they did do TNWSY and it was done incredibly well. No one had the slightest idea it was part of the setlist whatsoever. Would still love to hear him perform some of Carl & Dennis' songs as a tribute to his brothers, as well.  

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 10:00:22 AM »

What an enthusiastic interview; I love it. Funny that tedium is nearly a theme in the face of all the enthusiasm.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 10:32:22 AM »

One of my favorite interviews these days, but given the love Brewer has for Brian's music, that makes sense.  I think it's pretty obvious that Brian doesn't suffer fools gladly when being interviewed in the sense that he just loses interest and gives automatic answers.  People who know their stuff can often get great comments.  I'm looking forward to his new bio...when Brian's good in interviews, he's great.
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 10:52:02 AM »

Great material Jason.  Miss your band around the Minn. area.  Gave your drummer  at the time a Dennis  Wilson shirt.  Hope he is doing well. I know it made his day.  Fun to talk with the man (Brian)  .  Years ago I was with Dennis and had an idea for a song (invisible ink)  more drink was consumed than lyrics.  Fun to get a chance with the real boys.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 11:00:54 AM »

Interesting that Brian is a fan of the Rolling Stones' "Start Me Up." Would he do it on his r'n'r tribute album?

I'm partial to the Folksmen's bluegrass version of "Start Me Up" -- it's hilarious.  LOL
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 12:01:51 PM »

Yeah, I'd like to hear "The Night Was So Young", too. I hope Brian's band leader thinks it's a good idea.

Why would Brian's band leader need to think it's a good idea?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 12:19:40 PM »

I believe because in the article Brian said he would run it by him. I have to assume here that songs don't make it into the set until Mertins creates an arrangement for it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 12:39:16 PM »

I believe because in the article Brian said he would run it by him. I have to assume here that songs don't make it into the set until Mertins creates an arrangement for it.

Ah thanks. Totally forgot/missed that part.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 02:25:01 PM »

Ah thanks. Totally forgot/missed that part.

It could also just be a polite way of ending that line of questioning by deflecting the whole matter on someone else.
Terry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 03:03:37 PM »

Brian's range these days is perfectly suited to sing the Love You and MIU era stuff...he did a great version of TNWSY  when I saw him in Chicago in 2002.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 11:20:28 PM »

With Foskett out of the picture, who's the band leader right now? Wasn't there some kind of consensus a couple of years ago that Brian didn't play stuff like TNWSY because Foskett doesn't like Love You?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 11:27:28 PM »

I'd rather hear him do some BW88 material. Melt Away is just dying to be played live!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 11:50:35 PM »

Jason, you did a wonderful job ! Congratulations...

If it runs amuck, call the duck
shebelongs
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 01:03:54 AM »

"BW: I like digital. It's a lot easier and a lot more perfectionist — you can perfect the pitch and the sound."
I read this and can only think that the imperfections (minor or not) are also what made his best work his best, and ironically, all of this overt-'perfecting' only tampers and turns the music far from said perfection.

I would love to hear "The Night Was So Young" live.  Grin
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 01:51:36 AM »

"BW: I like digital. It's a lot easier and a lot more perfectionist — you can perfect the pitch and the sound."
I read this and can only think that the imperfections (minor or not) are also what made his best work his best, and ironically, all of this overt-'perfecting' only tampers and turns the music far from said perfection.

Couldn't agree more! So glad today's tools for pitch correction weren't around for their 60s and 70s output. Even an overly polished and slightly boring album like M.I.U. sounds interesting compared to stuff like NPP.
sloopjasonb
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 07:07:45 AM »

3D

Glad you guys were able to check out the article --- I had fun talking with Brian --- I think we will post the audio from the interview soon. 
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 07:32:37 AM »

3D

Glad you guys were able to check out the article --- I had fun talking with Brian --- I think we will post the audio from the interview soon. 

Can't wait!  (Can't wait for the new album, either!)
KDS
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2015, 05:53:29 AM »

With Foskett out of the picture, who's the band leader right now? Wasn't there some kind of consensus a couple of years ago that Brian didn't play stuff like TNWSY because Foskett doesn't like Love You?

I think Darian is the current bandleader. 
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2015, 10:27:40 AM »

Paul is the music director. Not sure if that's the same thing....
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2015, 02:04:24 PM »

In any case I'd wager Darian is more appreciative of the Love You material than Jeff Foskett.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx