gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:36:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is Phil Everly's harmony on Till I kissed you?  (Read 1750 times)
halblaineisgood
« on: October 10, 2015, 10:48:40 PM »

I'm especially stumped by " Now I can't live without you..."

Is it a simple 3rd but sung with such perfect resonance? I'll just never nail that tune because it's a chemistry thing. I don't think I have the boyish resonance to sing their songs-'specially that one- in the original keys anymore. Think , they were 19/20 years old at the time.

I can figure out a passable phil note for most  of their other tunes, the ones me and my pals used to play. but that line stumps me still. Maybe it's just sung so beautifully that it can't be 'figured'. Maybe it's such an average song they had to sing it with such stunning restraint and control that no mere mortal can approach the feeling of that recording from studio B. Particularly that line.... Maybe I've known it this whole time, it just will never sound anything like what's on that record.

Note: RRA1 , please don't pee on my everly parade. You can dislike what you like. But can you start another top if u wanna diss on our heroes. I'm generalizing . Many of us are musicians on this site. And singers generally hold the bros. in the highest regard. Some don'. Some people don't like beans and franks. whatever
" Now I can't live without you..."

that line knocks me out.  If anybody just wants to talk about that song or the bros. let's go.

*Pending any response I have more thoughts. This could be a fertile discussh  Cool Guy

or a toxic , stagnant monologue. Either way.  police

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 10:59:19 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 11:23:56 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:28:38 PM by zatch » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 12:33:47 AM »

I'm especially stumped by " Now I can't live without you..."

Is it a simple 3rd but sung with such perfect resonance? I'll just never nail that tune because it's a chemistry thing. I don't think I have the boyish resonance to sing their songs-'specially that one- in the original keys anymore. Think , they were 19/20 years old at the time.

I can figure out a passable phil note for most  of their other tunes, the ones me and my pals used to play. but that line stumps me still. Maybe it's just sung so beautifully that it can't be 'figured'. Maybe it's such an average song they had to sing it with such stunning restraint and control that no mere mortal can approach the feeling of that recording from studio B. Particularly that line.... Maybe I've known it this whole time, it just will never sound anything like what's on that record.

Note: RRA1 , please don't pee on my everly parade. You can dislike what you like. But can you start another top if u wanna diss on our heroes. I'm generalizing . Many of us are musicians on this site. And singers generally hold the bros. in the highest regard. Some don'. Some people don't like beans and franks. whatever
" Now I can't live without you..."

that line knocks me out.  If anybody just wants to talk about that song or the bros. let's go.

*Pending any response I have more thoughts. This could be a fertile discussh  Cool Guy

or a toxic , stagnant monologue. Either way.  police

Sounds like thirds to me, just sung and blended very well. Bottom note starts on F, top note on Ab, moving together in thirds. Smiley
Thanks for the input,man. Yeah....just incredibly sung.

Incredible singers. some of their tv appearances from the 60' s I youtube all the time. the sound quality was quite a bit nicer later in the 60's-  they would each get a mic or , the boom guy was doing good work, whatever it was I dunno - but it makes me angry they had to have all that echo on their recordings (i feel the same about sam cooke and roy orbison) -not angry, but...uh wistful??-  because just their dry vocals together and a smal band and their beautiful guitar playing, if you have doubts seek out some of that stuff. My god the nuance and timbre of their voices together were sublime. They didn't need that big room sound, or echo - whichever it was- used on their most famous hits. I love those records to death, but the true quality of their instruments didn't really hit me till I saw some diff. clips. I don't really know what's out there. but I know if you get your hands on cadence 45's , hearing the 45's will kick your ass in sort of a similar fashion. The best of I checked out from the library is good, just 'cause I need my favs. and don't alwas have the hi-f set up. Also I misplaced my 45 of Bye Bye Love. This was a beat up record. That's what all that ambience and echoey -almost nasal sound worked well in conjunction with- a teenager's cheap record player and a worn out, beat-up 45. It knocked my socks off. Just the purity of their sound, when it can be had.

The roy Orbison clip was something I think disappeared from youtube years ago it was him in the iso booth , cans on , recording a lead for "you Got It" I think. I think I nearly broke down crying. It was just the microphone from the camera maybe picking him up, and no echo no delay - it was like the sweetest honey. I think I cried when the took the clip down several weeks after I found it.

And who wouldn't love ot hear Sam cooke singing cupid and all that without he echo. or reverb. Singer's like that don't need reverb.

But that was the style at the time, and as I said, an original mono 45 always helps.

And "Elvis at Sun" is a gift from God. The voice on The King. No wonky reverb needed. If you want some reverb just play it on your boombox while your taking your bath.

I'm rambling. I've gotta clean this mess.

P.S. Phil and Don no slouches. But Felice and Boudleaux, mayun. Songs for the ages.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 12:02:53 PM »

Wish i could help you in figuring out the part, but I don't know what I'm singing when I sing along with those, I just hear the part and do it - although as you said, they are in higher keys that can be "challenging", lol. Basically I learned to sing harmony from listening to Everlys and Beach Boys and Beatles records.
I think the echo, reverb sound was just what was "in" at the time, it was the sound the early rockers liked. I agree, though, just a dry recording of them and their guitars can be amazing. I have a Rhino album from the 80's called "All They Had to Do Was Dream" that is studio outtakes from the Cadence era, and it is great stuff, more stripped down in some cases, but their singing is spot-on throughout.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx