gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:24:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Specifics on Brian's extraction from Landy  (Read 33909 times)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 25, 2015, 08:51:26 AM »

I didn't think Landy was on the credits for "Let It Shine."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: October 25, 2015, 11:40:41 AM »

He's not on my original copy....and my cassette tape is from 1988.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2015, 11:55:11 AM »

Landy's name indeed was never on "Let It Shine":

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2015, 12:17:01 PM »

That might explain why Lynne treats as an irrelevant sidebar.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2015, 02:18:36 PM »

I highly doubt if Jeff paid any attention or ever looked at the label credits. In any event, the interviewer was confusing certain certain Landy writing credits with Landy's E Producer credit on the song/album.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 23, 2015, 12:48:04 PM »

Mike Love defends Landy. Don't know how I missed this 'gem' interview. Sorry about the repost:

http://bedfordandbowery.com/2015/06/mike-love-of-beach-boys-on-love-mercy-poor-brian-hes-had-a-rough-rough-time/

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: November 23, 2015, 01:37:52 PM »

Mike Love defends Landy. Don't know how I missed this 'gem' interview. Sorry about the repost:

http://bedfordandbowery.com/2015/06/mike-love-of-beach-boys-on-love-mercy-poor-brian-hes-had-a-rough-rough-time/

This was definitely discussed at length here back at the time the interview was published. Not one of Mike's finer moments. I think the context of his comments made it especially offensive, already being defensive about the contents of a movie he hadn't seen, and the patronizing "poor Brian" commentary.

I think there is room to weigh and consider Evan Landy's comments, once they were made in an article. Ultimately, Even Landy's comments were kind of sad and forced and pretty lame, to be kind. But once his commentary was out there, it certainly didn't hurt to consider them and think again about Eugene Landy's place in Brian's life. But really, Mike Love is not the guy that's probably best to make such a nuanced, anything-approaching-objective analysis.

From my point of view as a reader, Mike's comments, whether he intended them to or not, came across as having an agenda (not wanting to endorse or say anything positive about the "Love & Mercy" film), and using something, *anything* (in this case Evan Landy's comments) to try to offer something to contradict the L&M film.

But again, objectively not one of Mike's good moments. It's the sort of stuff that, rightly or wrongly, will continue to lead to him being portrayed, as one noted person on this board put it, a hun.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 23, 2015, 02:07:50 PM »

This was definitely discussed at length here back at the time the interview was published. Not one of Mike's finer moments. I think the context of his comments made it especially offensive, already being defensive about the contents of a movie he hadn't seen, and the patronizing "poor Brian" commentary.

I think there is room to weigh and consider Evan Landy's comments, once they were made in an article. Ultimately, Even Landy's comments were kind of sad and forced and pretty lame, to be kind. But once his commentary was out there, it certainly didn't hurt to consider them and think again about Eugene Landy's place in Brian's life. But really, Mike Love is not the guy that's probably best to make such a nuanced, anything-approaching-objective analysis.

From my point of view as a reader, Mike's comments, whether he intended them to or not, came across as having an agenda (not wanting to endorse or say anything positive about the "Love & Mercy" film), and using something, *anything* (in this case Evan Landy's comments) to try to offer something to contradict the L&M film.

But again, objectively not one of Mike's good moments. It's the sort of stuff that, rightly or wrongly, will continue to lead to him being portrayed, as one noted person on this board put it, a hun.

Yeah, I remember the "Poor Brian" discussion.  The comments defending Landy? Disgusting! The whole interview is a prime example of why Mike is so disliked. I just googled "why people dislike Mike Love". Holy smokes!

Saturday I hung with a musician friend who's girlfriend was Mike's housekeeper at one time. OMG, the stories. Not a pretty picture.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 23, 2015, 02:29:09 PM »

Hey Jude - Who is around who could comment on what happened? Carl is gone.  

Let's not forget we have "Landy ! and Landy !! - I saw Brian in 1987 for a cameo and in 1990.  After waiting 20 years as a BB fan. Landy was in the wings.

Elizabeth Banks has spoken about certain "selective benefits" that Landy worked with Brian on - specifically his weight.  Brian has said a "few positive things" happened.  Are you calling both Elizabeth Banks and Brian liars? And, Brian is forgiving.  Banks is a good observer.  It is why she is an Oscar contender.  She internalized a lot of information and was able to be very credible, showing the stages of Melinda's relationship and quickly growing skepticism of Landy.

Now, in 1987, The BB's had been established for about 25+ years.  Do you actually believe that a cousin (for 40+ years) who was onstage would not have first hand knowledge of some outward appearances at that point, and how Brian was able to "mesh'' onstage.  Or, get back into the swing of things during sound-checks, and traveling.  Now, if you were onstage with Brian, or had seen him then maybe you have an informed opinion.  But to make an utterly uninformed comment is ridiculous in my opinion.  Were you onstage with them?  Were you in the band?  Are you a family member?  

If someone asks me a question and my physical reaction might be say...instead of rolling my eyes...I might make the comment that something was "interesting." And, I might leave it at that.  Or Mike might have looked at Landy's kid as just another pawn of his father.  Maybe he takes pity on him being saddled with an old man who was not what he thought.  And, just said something like "interesting."  It takes on that "probably" concept on this board.  Spin.

Why on earth do you think that Mike does not have an informed opinion? Just about anything Mike says or does is negatively spun or twisted.  

L & M is such a profound movie, that some people might be more comfortable to keep their reflections to themselves.  Maybe Mike would rather not have anything to say.  And not "share" in this "Facebook" world.   Why do you feel entitled to know how another person feels?  Do you have a problem with that ?  

Do I think Landy should have gone to jail?  You bet your butt, I do.  And he could have been Manson's therapist.  They would have been great cell-mates and Landy could have managed Manson's career and been his co-songwriter (see how Manson would "therapeutically" respond to him!)  But, we don't get to judge or say.  Someone else gets that job.  

Had the band not seen some "outward" indications that there was some progress, any progress, Landy would never have been rehired and given pretty much free reign by a court of law.  Landy was an great actor, but harbored a devious, and malicious, scheming personality.  Who knew?  The judge?  No, apparently Landy had fooled a judge.  So, whatever Melinda was able to glean from Landy, knowing something was "rotten in Denmark, she had a judicial order to overturn.  That she saved his live is indisputable.

Certainly the band, was likely unaware of much of what was going on.  When there is a court order, you back off and let the person in charge (by the court) run the show.  Otherwise you could be in contempt of the court order for such interference. This was a highly delicate situation.  Do you actually think that anyone was stupid enough to question a court ordered guardian?  Or the kid who was helping his old man?  It is "interesting" all right.  And that kid will take to his grave that he feels his old man actually helped Brian.  Because the "child is the extension of the parent."

And, yes, is a comment such as "Poor Brian, he had a tough time"...appropriate? It sounds like a compassionate statement. - Or, make a comment such as "interesting" about Landy's kid, who acting as a designee of the court ordered guardian, maybe had more control than any of the band.  What does "interesting" mean - it has many meanings.   Among them is one that is very "noncommittal."  That is Mike's right.  But apparently he should have no opinions and no rights.  

And for all I care, you can say I'm on "Mike's payroll." Give me a good laugh.   LOL  

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: November 24, 2015, 02:00:01 AM »

Is anybody claiming Landy did anything else good for Brian other than saving his life? At the time it probably took a kidnapper like Landy to save Brian from himself, because people who sincerely loved Brian probably wouldn't have been tough enough. And it took people who sincerely loved Brian to save Brian from Landy. That happened, as we all know, years too late.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 24, 2015, 02:51:09 PM »

Guess there really isn't any irony in the fact that an upcoming episode of this show focuses on Brian & Landy: 

Dr. Feelgood

We trust doctors with our lives. They heal us when we’re ill and guide us on a path toward healthy living. In Hollywood being famous doesn’t make you immune to sickness so what happens when the person celebrities entrust with their well-being uses that power to seek fame, make big bucks or execute something far more sinister? REELZ original series Dr. Feelgood examines the terrible true stories of physicians whose practice led to controversy, mystery and tragedy for their notable clients. Each one-hour episode delves into one celebrity’s search for happiness through physical enhancement, weight loss or performance booster and the prolonged debate that followed. Can doctors in the immediate orbit of celebrities remain objective and clear-headed in their diagnoses and treatments? And where does the responsibility lie: with the client who wanted and took the drugs—or the expert who prescribed them?

The trailer for this that I saw showed Elvis, Michael Jackson, and Brian!

http://www.reelz.com/dr-feelgood/
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 24, 2015, 04:09:10 PM »

Guess there really isn't any irony in the fact that an upcoming episode of this show focuses on Brian & Landy: 

Dr. Feelgood

We trust doctors with our lives. They heal us when we’re ill and guide us on a path toward healthy living. In Hollywood being famous doesn’t make you immune to sickness so what happens when the person celebrities entrust with their well-being uses that power to seek fame, make big bucks or execute something far more sinister? REELZ original series Dr. Feelgood examines the terrible true stories of physicians whose practice led to controversy, mystery and tragedy for their notable clients. Each one-hour episode delves into one celebrity’s search for happiness through physical enhancement, weight loss or performance booster and the prolonged debate that followed. Can doctors in the immediate orbit of celebrities remain objective and clear-headed in their diagnoses and treatments? And where does the responsibility lie: with the client who wanted and took the drugs—or the expert who prescribed them?

Ed - I hope they do a decent job (although I'm certain you and I will both cringe, among a few others, even if the job is decent).  I imagine the series will get a boost from L&M - at least Brian's episode.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 27, 2015, 04:58:49 PM »

If television does a piece on Dr. Landy,  I hope they speak with the folks who saw Brian from 1985 onward, as the last several years were focused on maintaining a tie to Brian rather than anything truly therapeutic. That period appears to me to have begun shortly after Brian  and his numerous"helpers" got back from the first trip to Hawaii. It is not  surprising that this happened. Landy had his hands deep into other celebrities' wallets and lives. I wish Landy had sought outside medical advice from somewhere like UCLA Medical School. Landy's ego stopped him from doing so.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 30, 2015, 01:53:39 AM »

This bit from the bedfordandbowery interview made me chuckle...

"Was he [Dr. Landy] overreaching? Probably. Did he cost a lot of money? Hell yeah."

Good old Mike (who I have absolutely nothing against), Landy was "probably" overreaching, but when it comes to money it's "hell yeah".

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 06, 2015, 08:11:09 PM »

Dr. Feelgood

The episode on Brian will air Saturday the 12th at 10pm

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 03, 2016, 01:27:40 AM »

Unsure if this was the right thread, but feel it adds backstory.
http://www.examiner.com/article/examiner-exclusive-mark-linett-discusses-brian-wilson-s-1988-solo-album
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 01:28:46 AM by ESQ Editor » Logged
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 03, 2016, 06:55:27 AM »

Thanks for the link.

I had someone record a :30 second version of the “JAWS” theme, and I took a cassette deck with an endless loop cassette, and set that up, so that anytime we got a call from the front office saying, “Dr. Landy’s on the phone,” I could just push a button and you’d hear, “Dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun.” In addition, somewhere along the way we made a backwards tape – that if you played it forward – said something along the lines of, “Landy is the devil.” I think we were (sort of) thinking about hiding it in “Rio Grande” somewhere, but we never did.  LOL

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx