gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:40:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Specifics on Brian's extraction from Landy  (Read 33907 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 16, 2015, 11:18:27 PM »

Personally, I think Landy's lines stink. On the other hand, "I was sitting in a crummy movie...." does a great job of setting the scene for why we need Love and Mercy.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: October 16, 2015, 11:27:26 PM »

Exactly. It's super charming, too.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 17, 2015, 03:12:03 PM »

Speaking of taking things with a grain of salt, let's those of us who wish to, do the same with this example of moderating.

You obviously have some personal axe to grind with John - pls grind away via pm rather than try to disguise your grievances as appropriate crowd control.

Just so it's on the record, I know what's going on and it won't work. Pass it on to other interested parties.

With that out of the way, why didn't you take this to PM, Alan, instead of once again trying to call me out as the asshole moderator of the board in a public post?

Moving forward, perhaps you should consider taking your own advice about taking things to PM's, but in case you forgot I sent YOU one back in June (June 18th if you want to check) in reply to one of your posts directed at me, and you have yet to reply to it. Rather, you chose to throw numerous challenges and underhanded digs at me in your public posts for everyone to read. So that's the result of trying to keep things like this off the board, and not broadcast it for all to see. And I get called the hypocrite? Sure.

Another "perhaps" to consider. Perhaps what you're being told isn't the whole story, or beyond that isn't totally accurate. Wherever that applies, consider applying it.

Was that too long-winded of a post?

Dear oh dear - well, just so it's on the record, I have no idea what you are talking about re "what's going on and what won't work"
Good for you tho'. Nor am I aware of other interested parties whoever they may be.

Next, I don't recall calling you an asshole moderator: they're your words, GF.

I get the occasional PM, including the one from you, and I send the occasional PM - I hold no-one to any obligation to answer mine (and some have been unanswered) and I reserve the right to respond only to those that may be of an agreeable tone and intent.

What's your definition of numerous? Mine's "a lot" or +20 (happy to negotiate): again, I don't recall throwing numerous challenges or underhanded digs.

Thanks for the "perhaps" advice, but again, you've lost me there; not sure where you're going with that unless you can provide further detail/illumination.

I don't enjoy having to post stuff like this, and I generally prefer to stay out of the skirmish zone.  I come here mainly for information - you've provided some of said info generously and expertly - and to celebrate/enjoy the contributions of those who help keep The Beach Boys currency and legacy alive, accessible and balanced.

But, if the actions & characters of reasonable posters are bought into question at the cost of addressing offensive behaviour, I'll be sticking my nose in. Where's that salt pig?

-A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2015, 01:49:53 PM »

Speaking of taking things with a grain of salt, let's those of us who wish to, do the same with this example of moderating.

You obviously have some personal axe to grind with John - pls grind away via pm rather than try to disguise your grievances as appropriate crowd control.

Just so it's on the record, I know what's going on and it won't work. Pass it on to other interested parties.

With that out of the way, why didn't you take this to PM, Alan, instead of once again trying to call me out as the asshole moderator of the board in a public post?

Moving forward, perhaps you should consider taking your own advice about taking things to PM's, but in case you forgot I sent YOU one back in June (June 18th if you want to check) in reply to one of your posts directed at me, and you have yet to reply to it. Rather, you chose to throw numerous challenges and underhanded digs at me in your public posts for everyone to read. So that's the result of trying to keep things like this off the board, and not broadcast it for all to see. And I get called the hypocrite? Sure.

Another "perhaps" to consider. Perhaps what you're being told isn't the whole story, or beyond that isn't totally accurate. Wherever that applies, consider applying it.

Was that too long-winded of a post?

Dear oh dear - well, just so it's on the record, I have no idea what you are talking about re "what's going on and what won't work"
Good for you tho'. Nor am I aware of other interested parties whoever they may be.

Next, I don't recall calling you an asshole moderator: they're your words, GF.

I get the occasional PM, including the one from you, and I send the occasional PM - I hold no-one to any obligation to answer mine (and some have been unanswered) and I reserve the right to respond only to those that may be of an agreeable tone and intent.

What's your definition of numerous? Mine's "a lot" or +20 (happy to negotiate): again, I don't recall throwing numerous challenges or underhanded digs.

Thanks for the "perhaps" advice, but again, you've lost me there; not sure where you're going with that unless you can provide further detail/illumination.

I don't enjoy having to post stuff like this, and I generally prefer to stay out of the skirmish zone.  I come here mainly for information - you've provided some of said info generously and expertly - and to celebrate/enjoy the contributions of those who help keep The Beach Boys currency and legacy alive, accessible and balanced.

But, if the actions & characters of reasonable posters are bought into question at the cost of addressing offensive behaviour, I'll be sticking my nose in. Where's that salt pig?

-A

...snore...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2015, 01:56:15 PM »

Appalling.

“We live in divisive times.”
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2015, 02:04:14 PM »

What, that he wouldn't take the bait and prolong this goofy nonsense? Take it to PMs, otherwise put away the smelling salts.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2015, 02:24:31 PM »

I think it's appalling that Alan was made to feel obliged to stand in front of class and explain himself, then gets such a dismissive response.

But I'll leave it at that. Done here for a while.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2015, 02:33:03 PM »

If only that were true, Manning. We can't resist!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2015, 02:42:16 PM »

If only that were true, Manning. We can't resist!

Love it or leave it, asshole. That's what a lot of people here are saying.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2015, 02:43:14 PM »

See? Can't resist. It's adorable!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 18, 2015, 03:03:47 PM »

Firstly John, that "asshole" comment was explained and wasn't at all directed at anyone...so why bring it up? Secondly, I found the supposedly appalling reply of "snore" a funny way of showing just how much crap has been slung at GF from you guys. Click on that "snore" post and see how useless and dismissive Alan Smith's response was to Guitarfool in that previous thread. It was totally pointless, yet not surprising given the nature of the posts here lately.

Way back when I first arrived here there was a handful of posters who I came to respect...they most always steered clear of the BS and drama. This tit for tat stuff is (I'll take some words from bgas earlier in the thread) coming from people who normally wouldn't stoop this low. Give it a flippin rest. Got a problem with a mod? Think he's not up to snuff? Do the adult thing and PM THE OTHER MODS with examples and complaints. But stop clogging up the board with this stuff.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 18, 2015, 04:14:27 PM »

Alan and John are two of the good guys IMHO.  I think it's a sad day when it's being implied that they have agendas.  I know how that feels because the same thing happened to me a while back.  A lot of nonsense of course.  This place has gone downhill.  I used to think we were all like minded, in that we were fans of the Beach Boys.  End of.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: October 18, 2015, 04:22:38 PM »

It's all about the music, man. That's why we argue and snipe at each other and whine how things have gone downhill instead of actually talking about the music.

Then again, this was a thread about dear dead Landy. Not exactly a subject that brings out the positivity. Although I am positive he's dead.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 04:28:24 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 18, 2015, 04:36:39 PM »

I agree Ontor, we should discuss the music more often!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 18, 2015, 11:37:11 PM »

Discuss what you want. You can have a perfectly civil discussion about even as sordid a character as Landy as long as people leave out the hysterics.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 19, 2015, 09:33:10 AM »

crummy is correctly spelled crumby
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: October 21, 2015, 01:01:16 PM »

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/crummy?s=t

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 21, 2015, 01:28:49 PM »

crumbiest online dictionary fer sure
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 21, 2015, 01:43:52 PM »

Off topic, but similar...

I just read the saddest story about Mickey Rooney's last years, being mentally/physically abused and financially raped by his wife and stepson. Some of their despicable actions sound almost exactly like classic Landy. How lucky we are that Brian escaped.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/mickey-rooneys-final-years-833325

And looks like Rooney's evil stepson had a mullet just like Landy too...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:53:25 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 21, 2015, 02:37:58 PM »

I am not aware of any other psychologist compromising the  psychologist/client professional relationship like Landy did with Brian. Imagine another art form, such as fine arts...Leonard Bernstein or Georgia O'Keeffe, as an example
Would Bernstein have let his psychologist alter his West Side Story compositions or Ms. O'Keeffe allow her shrink to paint over her landscapes or flower paintings? The answer is a firm no, and that is why Landy's interference with Brian's songs is the ultimate disrespect of his art. This is why Landy's name was removed from Brian's compositions.  Artistic rape is still rape.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 21, 2015, 04:47:04 PM »

Off topic, but similar...

I just read the saddest story about Mickey Rooney's last years, being mentally/physically abused and financially raped by his wife and stepson. Some of their despicable actions sound almost exactly like classic Landy. How lucky we are that Brian escaped.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/mickey-rooneys-final-years-833325

And looks like Rooney's evil stepson had a mullet just like Landy too...

"...Mark says he learned Rooney had a breakdown while in Australia filming 1998's Babe: Pig in the City, after which his stepfather was prescribed strong medication. He says, "They put him on these brain psych meds and things, and my mom was administering them — and she didn't know what she was doing." Adds Charlene, "[Jan] said, 'I have to keep him high to be onstage, and I have to keep him quiet and subdued when he's at home.' " (Jan denies this.)..." 

Gee, that sounds familiar.

And yet people here keep defending Landy...

It's all so odd...well, if these people are really fans of Brian Wilson...;-)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 21, 2015, 09:18:23 PM »

That can't be right.

Crumby looks like the name of a really ugly and grumpy claymation character.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 24, 2015, 03:55:25 AM »

Brief mention of the Landy era in Jeff Lynne interview in the new Mojo; apols if this has been posted elsewhere; also this seems the best thread even though it's not strictly 100% on topic. If you got out of bed on the wrong side, well tough! Wink

Mojo: do you recall your sessions working with Brian Wilson on his self-titled "comeback" album?

Lynne: I hadn't known him at all, but Brian asked me if I wanted to write a song and produce it wih him. "Yes, please – I'd love to." I went to his house in Malibu and wrote it with him right by the seashore; his place was only a couple steps from the sea. Him playing piano and me strumming guitar and we came up with the song, Let It Shine.

Mojo: The song is co-credited to Dr Eugene Landy – Brian was still in his grips at the time.

Lynne: Yeah, that was pretty grim, actually. [Landy] got struck off didn't he? There were all the minders around and stuff. But Brian's great now and he's got that lovely wife. Anyway, we got to the session and I played lots of the instruments: bass and rhythm guitar and keyboard, and he did some keyboard, and we co-produced. Despite our production backgrounds, here wasn't a lot on it actually. It's a nice tight-sounding record.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:03:47 AM by John Manning » Logged

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2015, 10:21:51 AM »

Brief mention of the Landy era in Jeff Lynne interview in the new Mojo; apols if this has been posted elsewhere; also this seems the best thread even though it's not strictly 100% on topic. If you got out of bed on the wrong side, well tough! Wink

Mojo: do you recall your sessions working with Brian Wilson on his self-titled "comeback" album?

Lynne: I hadn't known him at all, but Brian asked me if I wanted to write a song and produce it wih him. "Yes, please – I'd love to." I went to his house in Malibu and wrote it with him right by the seashore; his place was only a couple steps from the sea. Him playing piano and me strumming guitar and we came up with the song, Let It Shine.

Mojo: The song is co-credited to Dr Eugene Landy – Brian was still in his grips at the time.

Lynne: Yeah, that was pretty grim, actually. [Landy] got struck off didn't he? There were all the minders around and stuff. But Brian's great now and he's got that lovely wife. Anyway, we got to the session and I played lots of the instruments: bass and rhythm guitar and keyboard, and he did some keyboard, and we co-produced. Despite our production backgrounds, here wasn't a lot on it actually. It's a nice tight-sounding record.
Interesting sort of non-reply to the implied question of Landy's so-called collaboration.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 24, 2015, 10:40:14 AM »

Interesting sort of non-reply to the implied question of Landy's so-called collaboration.

Yeah, I was curious if Jeff Lynne chipped in any money to remove Landy and Morgan's names from the credits.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx