gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 04:27:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Specifics on Brian's extraction from Landy  (Read 34062 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2015, 09:25:01 PM »

How exactly did the extraction go about? After the court ruling, did Landy just say goodbye and then move out one day in early 1992, with some of the surf nazis still lingering around?

And as I recall reading, there was some additional attempt of Landy contacting Brian at some point about a year after no longer being around (in violation of legal agreement) - was this a phone call?

I wonder what would have happened if Landy had dared show his face at a Brian solo show. Besides getting in legal trouble, that is. Would people have hassled him? I have a strong hunch he followed Brian's career from afar after rightfully getting the boot.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 09:43:06 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 10:01:15 PM »

The conservator trial was avoided at the last minute cause the lawyers came to an agreement, which Landy said he'd obey. He showed up at Brian's house on his birthday in '92. Got fined a $1000 or so.

After all their legal problems were thru, Landy, Alexandre Morgan, Kevin Leslie, etc. were broke and moved to Hawaii.

''Brian Wilson has entered into a settlement agreement which will allow Brian to receive guidance and assistance while at the same time allowing him the freedom to lead his own life as he chooses,'' said a statement released by both sides.

The name and duties of the conservator weren't disclosed as part of the agreement.

Landy was technically not a part of the legal case brought by the family but ''he has voluntarily agreed to be a part of the settlement,'' said a source close to the matter who spoke on condition of anonymity.
http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1991/Conservator-Appointed-for-Beach-Boy-Brian-Wilson/id-23a448d6482eed7d92833b708d0d1d88

Kevin Leslie lived w/ Brian in 1992. Idk when he was extracted. Maybe when Brian reconnected w/ Melinda in '92. I've read that Brian ran into her one day when he took a smoke broke while doing some recording at West Pico Blvd, which is where the Brains and Genius studio was.

A source close to the conservatorship case said the settlement will mean a final parting between Wilson and Landy, adding that a conservator will be named to handle Wilson`s business interests. ``The deal being discussed will take Landy out of Brian`s life within two years,`` the source said. Part of the conservator`s job, the source added, will be to ensure that Landy doesn`t have an alter ego in Wilson`s life who would act as a go-between for Landy and Wilson. Critics have raised concerns about the constant presence of Kevin Leslie, Wilson`s personal assistant originally hired by Landy, at the Beach Boy`s side for the past six years, charging that Leslie is a conduit for Landy.

But Leslie denies the charge-``I`m an employee of Brian Wilson``-and the source said that Leslie is not beholden to Landy and will cooperate with the Wilson-Landy separation. ``I think (Kevin) will do a good job,`` a source said. ``I don`t think Kevin will jeopardize his position.`
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1991-11-17/entertainment/9104140084_1_eugene-landy-stan-love-separate-ways

Kevin Leslie actually commented on a post Brian made on facebook. Christmas 2012: Kevin S. Leslie: Mele Kalikimaka Brian. December 21, 2012 at 7:47pm
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 10:20:54 PM by Bittersweet-Sanity » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 12:09:34 AM »

The conservator trial was avoided at the last minute cause the lawyers came to an agreement, which Landy said he'd obey. He showed up at Brian's house on his birthday in '92. Got fined a $1000 or so.

After all their legal problems were thru, Landy, Alexandre Morgan, Kevin Leslie, etc. were broke and moved to Hawaii.

''Brian Wilson has entered into a settlement agreement which will allow Brian to receive guidance and assistance while at the same time allowing him the freedom to lead his own life as he chooses,'' said a statement released by both sides.

The name and duties of the conservator weren't disclosed as part of the agreement.

Landy was technically not a part of the legal case brought by the family but ''he has voluntarily agreed to be a part of the settlement,'' said a source close to the matter who spoke on condition of anonymity.
http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1991/Conservator-Appointed-for-Beach-Boy-Brian-Wilson/id-23a448d6482eed7d92833b708d0d1d88

Kevin Leslie lived w/ Brian in 1992. Idk when he was extracted. Maybe when Brian reconnected w/ Melinda in '92. I've read that Brian ran into her one day when he took a smoke broke while doing some recording at West Pico Blvd, which is where the Brains and Genius studio was.

A source close to the conservatorship case said the settlement will mean a final parting between Wilson and Landy, adding that a conservator will be named to handle Wilson`s business interests. ``The deal being discussed will take Landy out of Brian`s life within two years,`` the source said. Part of the conservator`s job, the source added, will be to ensure that Landy doesn`t have an alter ego in Wilson`s life who would act as a go-between for Landy and Wilson. Critics have raised concerns about the constant presence of Kevin Leslie, Wilson`s personal assistant originally hired by Landy, at the Beach Boy`s side for the past six years, charging that Leslie is a conduit for Landy.

But Leslie denies the charge-``I`m an employee of Brian Wilson``-and the source said that Leslie is not beholden to Landy and will cooperate with the Wilson-Landy separation. ``I think (Kevin) will do a good job,`` a source said. ``I don`t think Kevin will jeopardize his position.`
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1991-11-17/entertainment/9104140084_1_eugene-landy-stan-love-separate-ways

Kevin Leslie actually commented on a post Brian made on facebook. Christmas 2012: Kevin S. Leslie: Mele Kalikimaka Brian. December 21, 2012 at 7:47pm

Thanks for the info. I wonder how awkward that 1992 meeting was. Or perhaps not, who knows. I wonder: did Landy actually think he might be able to worm his way back again into Brian's life somehow at that point? 
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 11:43:48 AM »

Worth mentioning that Kevin S. Leslie, to use the name he goes by professionally, has a LinkedIn profile - which, per the rules of this board, I am not linking to. But if you're on LinkedIn it makes interesting reading.  Brian is not mentioned in it - nor is Gene.

The earliest date in it is 1999, when he was working as a drug counselor in Hawaii.  Since then, he has gotten a doctorate in psychology, from the for-profit school Argosy University. Apart from one year in Florida, he's been based in Texas since 2008. Until last June he was working in various agencies of the Texas state government, but is now with a private outfit in a town on the edge of the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

He lists a professional publication in there - which is about the treatment of methheads, so I have the feeling he's built up the kind of experience that could get him a technical advisorship on a Breaking Bad knockoff if he ever wound up in the LA area again. (Though since his alma mater doesn't seem to have accreditation in California, that seems unlikely.)

I still wonder if anyone involved with L&M was in touch with him about portrayal rights.  Doesn't Cusack say something about "Kevin there," looking over at the surf Nazi on the boat before he jumps off of it?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 02:28:55 PM »

Worth mentioning that Kevin S. Leslie, to use the name he goes by professionally, has a LinkedIn profile - which, per the rules of this board, I am not linking to.

What rule is that?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 03:51:21 PM »

Worth mentioning that Kevin S. Leslie, to use the name he goes by professionally, has a LinkedIn profile - which, per the rules of this board, I am not linking to.

What rule is that?

guitarfool2002 in 2014, in the GOTD concerning Leslie: "Posting personal contact info is not appropriate for the board and will not be allowed going forward. There is a line which cannot be crossed between posting public or business links to Facebook pages or Twitter feeds from public figures (like following various musicians, artists, etc), and those which are personal, including email addresses, personal and non-public Facebook pages, direct links to "LinkedIn" pages and other similar accounts. They can be searched elsewhere, but linking to any contact info beyond a public page is off-limits, and it should not be a part of a fan forum like this."
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 05:02:09 AM »

I still wonder if anyone involved with L&M was in touch with him about portrayal rights.  Doesn't Cusack say something about "Kevin there," looking over at the surf Nazi on the boat before he jumps off of it?

It is Evan that he refers to on the boat.  I think Kevin is the guy that is on the date with Brian and Melinda, but I don't think they ever use his name.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 09:57:52 PM »

It is Evan that he refers to on the boat.  I think Kevin is the guy that is on the date with Brian and Melinda, but I don't think they ever use his name.

You're right, he does say Evan. And I guess the guy on the date's supposed to be Kevin, but he looks a bit taller.
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 11:44:59 PM »

I find this hard to believe.  Broke?   How did they move to Hawaii then?  Did they float over on a raft?   I would guess the Lawsuit
did cost Landy quite a bit of $$$, but I would also speculate that he clearly put some of the $$$ away for a rainy day.  I've been told
he lived quite comfortably in Hawaii with Alexandre for many years before he died.  It is also my understanding that with others Landy
treated, or so has been said, he had plenty of $$$ put away as well.   If he had to liquidate his assets to be removed from Brian's life
and move to Hawaii....I'm sure he was more than well off.   Doubt he was "broke".   Hell, I'm broke, but I can't afford to live in Hawaii,
much less have a house on the coast which Brian lived in with Kevin Leslie.   

I also tend to believe that the true basis of the settlement to remove Landy from Brian, or Brian from Landy will never be known.  I speculate
that there were so many legal twists and turns involved, that even to this day, some things aren't very clear at all.  For instance, the REVAMPED
version of BRIAN WILSON, when it was re-released with Bonus tracks, etc....There's no sign of Dr. Eugene Landy's name on ANY of the tracks,
as a co-writer.  Brian told me himself that Landy and Alexandre had written their fair share of the words for many of the tracks.  The settlement
removed their names, but I still wonder if they receive any royalties or received any compensation when the album we reissued.   

I'd be interested to hear what anyone might have to say about this.   I've always wondered.

Dogbone
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 01:18:58 AM »

The removal of Landy's & Morgan's names from song credits - including the 1985 BB album - was compensated by a financial settlement. No idea how much.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 01:29:32 AM »

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I just thought of an interesting moral dilemma question that I'm curios to get everybody's opinion of. If Landy actually did contribute any kind of lyrics or melody ideas for Brian/The Beach Boys, does he deserve a credit? Does he deserve to have his name removed simply because of who he is and what he represents to Brian and the group?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 01:37:36 AM »

The removal of Landy's & Morgan's names from song credits - including the 1985 BB album - was compensated by a financial settlement. No idea how much.

Thanks for the info AGD.  Can I ask what your source is?   I figured there was some financial settlement, but was this in the terms of the agreement reached?
Or was this something which was worked out with all of the parties involved.  I figure who ever took over for Brian, and the Lawyers for the Beach Boys may have
had some sort of hand in it.   Can you elaborate at all? 

Thanks,

Dogbone
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 01:39:57 AM »

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I just thought of an interesting moral dilemma question that I'm curios to get everybody's opinion of. If Landy actually did contribute any kind of lyrics or melody ideas for Brian/The Beach Boys, does he deserve a credit? Does he deserve to have his name removed simply because of who he is and what he represents to Brian and the group?

A valid question, the same could be said about Manson.  The guys being complete skuzballs has nothing to do with the fact that they did make some contributions to released songs, whether that's an inconvenient truth or not.

It is odd that credits can be changed after the fact,  contrary to actual historically documented facts of authorship, but I guess that's just the way goes. It doesn't make me mad to see these jerks not have credit on album pressings, but at the same time it isn't exactly truthful.

Is Metal Beach the only song on which Landy is audibly present either vocally or instrumentally? It would be weird to see if a person could be removed from performance credits when it comes to actually being present on the track.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 01:42:34 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 02:38:05 AM »

Thanks for the info AGD.  Can I ask what your source is?   I figured there was some financial settlement, but was this in the terms of the agreement reached?
Or was this something which was worked out with all of the parties involved.  I figure who ever took over for Brian, and the Lawyers for the Beach Boys may have
had some sort of hand in it.   Can you elaborate at all? 

Thanks,

Dogbone

I was told that when writing the liners for the KTSA/BB 2fer reissue in 2000.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 03:00:03 AM »

I am not a Landy apologist by any means and still I feel he should be properly credited for the work he did on BW88, in the interest of historical accuracy if you will. He played a big role in Brian's life around the time and I find it wrong to pretend he had nothing to do with the creative process around the time. Also, much like Love You, BW88 is an album mostly appreciated by hardcore fans and among these everyone's familiar with the full story anyway, all the more since the recent biopic.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 04:51:33 AM »

A valid question, the same could be said about Manson.  The guys being complete skuzballs has nothing to do with the fact that they did make some contributions to released songs, whether that's an inconvenient truth or not.

It is odd that credits can be changed after the fact,  contrary to actual historically documented facts of authorship, but I guess that's just the way goes. It doesn't make me mad to see these jerks not have credit on album pressings, but at the same time it isn't exactly truthful.

Is Metal Beach the only song on which Landy is audibly present either vocally or instrumentally? It would be weird to see if a person could be removed from performance credits when it comes to actually being present on the track.

Although I don't have it with me, I believe the original Brian Wilson album gave him a vocal credit on Rio Grande.  Please correct me if I am wrong.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 04:54:44 AM »

You're right - Landy, Paley, and Brian were originally credited on backing vocals.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 04:58:17 AM by phirnis » Logged
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 06:14:59 AM »

I am not a Landy apologist by any means and still I feel he should be properly credited for the work he did on BW88, in the interest of historical accuracy if you will. He played a big role in Brian's life around the time and I find it wrong to pretend he had nothing to do with the creative process around the time. Also, much like Love You, BW88 is an album mostly appreciated by hardcore fans and among these everyone's familiar with the full story anyway, all the more since the recent biopic.

I agree with this. Even if the people are struck off financial benefits from royalties etc. The name of the actual writers should be accredited to songs they worked on in my opinion....

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 06:37:14 AM »

I agree with this. Even if the people are struck off financial benefits from royalties etc. The name of the actual writers should be accredited to songs they worked on in my opinion....

Perhaps if you start a petition drive, Landy's estate will give back the $$ they received in the settlement, so Landy and  gang can get their names back on the songs

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 06:47:48 AM »

The name of the actual writers should be accredited to songs they worked on in my opinion....

The more things change, the more they stay the same...
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 12:24:59 PM »

Landy did not co-write or work on songs in any traditional sense whatsoever. He wormed his way into the process by drugging the hell out of Brian and sucking the very air Brian was breathing. He had no business ever being around a piano or a recording studio or what have you with Brian anywhere in sight. He deserves jack.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 01:01:20 PM »

Exactly, the movie makes it clear Landy was a slimeball and nearly killed BW with his "treatment"

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 02:33:14 PM »

Exactly, the movie makes it clear Landy was a slimeball and nearly killed BW with his "treatment"
Brian had done a pretty good job of nearly killing himself before Landy came along
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 02:35:33 PM »

Landy did not co-write or work on songs in any traditional sense whatsoever. He wormed his way into the process by drugging the hell out of Brian and sucking the very air Brian was breathing. He had no business ever being around a piano or a recording studio or what have you with Brian anywhere in sight. He deserves jack.

Based on the original "lyrics" he wrote for "Black Widow", I heartily agree. Not to mention his mix of the 1988 album which was literally laughed out of the room when the suits heard it.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2015, 03:04:41 PM »

Brian had done a pretty good job of nearly killing himself before Landy came along
Not this sh*t again!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx