gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:04:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike interview Part 2 of 2  (Read 6576 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2015, 05:30:04 PM »

Posted the link in the part 1 replies, but knowing this board, most people will skip it there... 

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2015/10/08/mike-love-of-the-beach-boys-one-on-one-interview-part-2

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 07:52:05 PM »

Not bad.  I liked part 1 better but this one was fairly well done compared to many Mike Love interviews I've read previously.  My main quibble was with his meandering off topic when discussing the talents and merits/contributions of his band mates.  Somehow it would revert and become way more about Mike and a LOT less about the individual he was supposedly talking about.  The rest of it, by and large, was relatively decent stuff I guess.  There were a few exceptions mind you.

One  throwaway answer which didn't strike me as accurate.  Btian wasn't 'there' because he was taking LSD.  After Friends?  Really?  So no mention of his illness?  And the Brian's Back 'thing'?  Like that was a smart thing to do?  No.  Why?  'Cause Brian wasn't "back".

He sure did a shitty job of promoting his book too.  Don't get too preachy regarding environmental issues.  BUT.  Sounds like the book is gonna be full of 'wisdom'.  3D  I don't know. Huh

LOL Self taught? LOL

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 08:03:39 PM »

One  throwaway answer which didn't strike me as accurate.  Btian wasn't 'there' because he was taking LSD.  After Friends?  Really?  So no mention of his illness?

Mike said that Brian wasn't around much post-Friends because of the effects of Brian's acid intake during the Smile era.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:07:15 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 08:11:01 PM »

Not bad.  I liked part 1 better but this one was fairly well done compared to many Mike Love interviews I've read previously.  My main quibble was with his meandering off topic when discussing the talents and merits/contributions of his band mates.  Somehow it would revert and become way more about Mike and a LOT less about the individual he was supposedly talking about.  The rest of it, by and large, was relatively decent stuff I guess.  There were a few exceptions mind you.

One  throwaway answer which didn't strike me as accurate.  Btian wasn't 'there' because he was taking LSD.  After Friends?  Really?  So no mention of his illness?  And the Brian's Back 'thing'?  Like that was a smart thing to do?  No.  Why?  'Cause Brian wasn't "back".

He sure did a shitty job of promoting his book too.  Don't get too preachy regarding environmental issues.  BUT.  Sounds like the book is gonna be full of 'wisdom'.  3D  I don't know. Huh

LOL Self taught? LOL

One  throwaway answer which didn't strike me as accurate.  Btian wasn't 'there' because he was taking LSD.  After Friends?  Really?  So no mention of his illness?

Mike said that Brian wasn't around much post-Friends because of the effects of Brian's acid intake during the Smile era.

All in all, it's just good to know that the impetus for ALL the hits was Mike.  Everything was Mike. Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 08:14:31 PM »

Q: How many Mikes is that?

A: A lot.

(Tarantino reference...)

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 08:16:58 PM »

I guess I misread it rab2591 .  So it was because of all of the acid and stuff he took in the SMiLE era...not that consumed prior to composing California Girls and Pet Sounds then?  It was all of the SMiLE intoxicants rather than anything to do with REAL issues regarding Brian's mental health?

I was aware of some of those issues from the old Crawdaddy nagazine/Paul Williams and David Anderle expose way back when.  And Mike Love wasn't/isn't?  [But for this interview it's just the Smile era LSD that's to blame...and, as such, his becomes the accurate explanation?  I thought, at THAT time, it was hash...and lots of it?]

That sh*t is mean spirited and the response of a fool.
------------------------------------------------------------

The more I think about it...the less inclined I am to give part 2 a passing grade.  It has some interesting parts...but it pushes an agenda I can't get behind.  ['cause it's age-old crap]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:23:32 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 11:51:48 PM »

I'm always interested whenever Mike talks about songs from the post hits era.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 01:15:08 AM »

Wow. That was like a parody of a typical Mike interview, I mean he's really overdoing his thing here.

"I did the chorus (sings) “I’m picking up ‘Good Vibrations’’ and I wrote all the words and I came up with that musical part too on the chorus but Carl did a beautiful job on the lead."

Of course, truer words never spoken, I guess, but you know what I mean. Nothing against the man, though!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 02:09:54 AM »

I like this interview for the most part, but if Mike mentioned Good Vibrations one more time I was ready to scream.

Poor Carl. His name was misspelled twice, and both spellings are girl names:

"But he also did a phenomenal job on I Was Made To Love Her from the Wild Honey album. He did an amazing job on that, which is a Stevie Wonder original. Carol did an incredible job on that. He could go completely rock and roll;"

"Rock Cellar Magazine: You’ve spoken through the years about your issues with the band’s manager, Murry Wilson, also Brian, Carla and Dennis’ dad, and your uncle. How important was Murry Wilson in helping to break the group?"
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 02:49:54 AM »

Phew, lucky I read both part 1 and 2 of that article!  I had it all so wrong, thinking Brian was actually the genius of the group.  Shocked

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 02:50:11 AM »

"But he also did a phenomenal job on I Was Made To Love Her from the Wild Honey album. He did an amazing job on that, which is a Stevie Wonder original. Carol did an incredible job on that. He could go completely rock and roll;"

I thought that was Mike confirming it was Carol Kaye who played bass on IWMTLF, as a quick aside! Oh well.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 03:24:29 AM »

Wow. That was like a parody of a typical Mike interview, I mean he's really overdoing his thing here.

"I did the chorus (sings) “I’m picking up ‘Good Vibrations’’ and I wrote all the words and I came up with that musical part too on the chorus but Carl did a beautiful job on the lead."

Of course, truer words never spoken, I guess, but you know what I mean. Nothing against the man, though!

Gee, I always thought Brian Wilson came up with the words "Good Vibrations", and the initial lyrics (with Tony Asher). Glad to find out it was all Mike's idea!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 03:49:00 AM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 06:09:51 AM »

This is really the best we can hope for from a Mike interview in most circumstances.

I've heard that Mike truly sometimes has a difficult time talking a lot about Dennis (and to some degree I like to think that helps humanize him a bit more), but I had to laugh when a question about Dennis took multiple levels of devolving until, by the end of his answer, he was talking about the Surf Rider Foundation and  "Summer in Paradise."

It's nice to see a relatively rare instance of Mike talking about Al in some detail and saying some nice things about him. I think this is not the first time his description of Al's singing voice and range seems a little too convoluted (he seems rather fixated on Al needing to hit a very specific range that his voice sounds best singing; that all sounds fine, but isn't that true of most singers?)

We also have confirmation that he's working on the late 70s "Alone on Christmas Day" (and that Ron Altbach co-wrote it), and that it will be in the Bill Murray special. I'm a bit confused, as he describes a band called "Phoenix" having recently found the song on the internet and covering it. I'm assuming Mike brings that up because that may have been the impetus for him to remember the song and then go find out who co-wrote it with him.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 07:20:59 AM »

We also have confirmation that he's working on the late 70s "Alone on Christmas Day" (and that Ron Altbach co-wrote it), and that it will be in the Bill Murray special. I'm a bit confused, as he describes a band called "Phoenix" having recently found the song on the internet and covering it. I'm assuming Mike brings that up because that may have been the impetus for him to remember the song and then go find out who co-wrote it with him.

Mike's interview Part 2 is available: http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2015/10/08/mike-love-of-the-beach-boys-one-on-one-interview-part-2

IF only everything he says didn't have to be related in terms of crediting himself.
Oh well, still lots of compliments  for others. 

Wondering now if " Alone On christmas Day" in the new Bill Murray movie will be performed by The Beach Boys/The Mike Love Band, or Phoenix 

For everyone interested in connecting the dots, here are a few dots.

Besides the interview posted in the link, Mike a few weeks ago said this while promoting the Australian tour:
"And we might debut our single "Alone On Christmas Day", which was a song I wrote back in the 60's, and the group Phoenix just found it and it's in a Bill Murray TV movie called "Very Murray Christmas". So They got me to record my own song."

Mike and the band were in a studio in Massachusetts back in August, doing a vocal session linked to Michael Lloyd in a studio in California. A Christmas song, according to reports.

"A Very Murray Christmas" lists the band members of Phoenix among the guest appearances scheduled for the Murray Netflix special, it's supposed to be a take-off on the old Christmas variety shows that used to run on TV.

Sofia Coppola is running the show, sort of a reunion of her and Bill Murray after her film "Lost In Translation".

Sofia Coppola is married to Thomas Mars, the frontman of the band Phoenix.

There are the dots.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 07:33:45 AM »

This quote stuck out:

...how about Good Vibrations? I did the chorus (sings) “I’m picking up ‘Good Vibrations’’ and I wrote all the words and I came up with that musical part too on the chorus but Carl did a beautiful job on the lead.

I'm wondering what musical part in the chorus Mike came up with...the melody was written in the bass line going back to take one of the song during the Pet Sounds sessions. Mike put lyrics to that melody which was already there.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 07:52:39 AM »

LOL Self taught? LOL

One  throwaway answer which didn't strike me as accurate.  Btian wasn't 'there' because he was taking LSD.  After Friends?  Really?  So no mention of his illness?

All in all, it's just good to know that the impetus for ALL the hits was Mike.  Everything was Mike. Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike

Absolutely, and significantly ties in to his bazaar appearance on stage via the robes, rings, turbans, tight fitting leotards, sequined, chest bearing tops, feathers, sandals, cowboy hats and the like. It all boiled down to a severe lack of confidence that screamed LOOK AT ME!, LOOK AT ME!, LOOK AT ME! A sad, twisted man who was/is always looking for redemption and recognition in his pathetic attempt to convince the world that he was a genius too.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 08:28:50 AM »

Uh-huh...Mike, the guy who created "Good Vibrations."  I think we know what the tone of his book is going to be...

And Mike's biography is scheduled to come out in a US Presidential election year...like we won't have had enough of people over-emphasizing their importance and contributions while totally demeaning those they view as their opponents.  It would be a great year to spend in Antarctica...
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 09:25:00 AM »

I'm wondering what musical part in the chorus Mike came up with...the melody was written in the bass line going back to take one of the song during the Pet Sounds sessions. Mike put lyrics to that melody which was already there.

That was my thought as well!  Every time I hear Mike talk about creating the hook to Good Vibrations, I always think, "No. You wrote the WORDS to the hook of Good Vibrations."  The bass line was always there.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 09:34:47 AM »

LOL Self taught? LOL

Absolutely, and significantly ties in to his bazaar appearance on stage via the robes, rings, turbans, tight fitting leotards, sequined, chest bearing tops, feathers, sandals, cowboy hats and the like. It all boiled down to a severe lack of confidence that screamed LOOK AT ME!, LOOK AT ME!, LOOK AT ME! A sad, twisted man who was/is always looking for redemption and recognition in his pathetic attempt to convince the world that he was a genius too.  Roll Eyes
could you write a review on Amazon and we can make it the highlighted one? You get the gist of the book well!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 10:32:56 AM »

Uh-huh...Mike, the guy who created "Good Vibrations."  I think we know what the tone of his book is going to be...

And Mike's biography is scheduled to come out in a US Presidential election year...like we won't have had enough of people over-emphasizing their importance and contributions while totally demeaning those they view as their opponents.  It would be a great year to spend in Antarctica...
Ugh, yes. Let's see if we can get a corner in a research station for our sleeping bags.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 11:38:45 AM »

Phoenix seem to be really big on the Beach Boys. They compiled a CD a few years back with the original version of Dennis’s “Lady” on it (http://www.amazon.com/Kitsune-Tabloid-Phoenix/dp/B001PMRKAA).

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 11:47:49 AM »

I didn't read it as confirmation of Mike's version in the movie. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.  As also mentioned by Guitarfool, Phoenix is listed in the movie credits, so it's just as easy to picture their version being used

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 11:54:01 AM »

"Sometimes I pantomime a little bit."

You don't say. 
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 12:06:42 PM »

"Sometimes I pantomime a little bit."

You don't say. 

LOL
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 12:09:59 PM »

It's entirely possible that "Phoenix" has covered the song and their recording is in the Murray project, and all of that occurring has spurred Mike to do his own recording of the song.

His comments leave open either possibility, depending on how you read them. He apparently said: "And we might debut our single "Alone On Christmas Day", which was a song I wrote back in the 60's, and the group Phoenix just found it and it's in a Bill Murray TV movie called "Very Murray Christmas". So They got me to record my own song."

When he says "it's in a Bill Murray TV movie", is he talking about "our new single", or the Phoenix recording? When he says "they got me to record my own song", it makes me think for a moment that they recorded it and then had him add stuff to their recording. I don't think that occurred of course.

I'm guessing it's the "Phoenix" recording that's in the movie, and Mike simply "re-discovered" the song that way and decided to re-record it.

I'm curious if Mike was (re-)made aware of the song during the compilation of the "Ultimate Christmas" CD in 1998.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx