gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:53:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al's John Lennon Tribute  (Read 10088 times)
rogerlancelot
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 01:32:07 AM »

I think that this makes my respect for Al Jardine keep on rising. I wish I could be there in Central Park for this. I also really loved the 6000+ persons human peace sign that Yoko orchestrated a couple of days ago. Peace is cool again.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 06:12:55 AM »

Not sure what the context for this is, but this appears to be from something somewhere that Al did yesterday, singing "Help Me Rhonda" to an actual Rhonda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDM87WKgsNc

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 11:06:48 AM »

this might sound a bit harsh, but Brian really seems to push the Paul McCartney thing way more than Paul does whenever the two end up in the same place...

Because as we know, fans like you are more qualified to cast doubt on this kind of thing than the actual musicians involved, who share a friendship, are to mention it in conversations. Makes perfect sense.  Roll Eyes

Or maybe you know more about Brian and Paul's personal interactions than anyone else, if so please fill us in.

Just making a social observation. Never claimed to be right, but thanks for the usual snarky response...right on schedule.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2015, 12:49:33 PM »

Al's appearance at Strawberry Fields today to film him with the crowd singing "Imagine" as part of the Yoko-approved, UN-sponsored peace effort was nothing short of a hero's welcome.

After two takes, one of the thousand guitarists at the mosaic launched into "Little Deuce Coupe" and although he tried hard, Al couldn't resist and soon singing lead.
Another guy handed him a guitar and Al started "Wake The World" -- then declared it was "too esoteric" and dove into into "Help Me, Rhonda."
Hearing all of Strawberry Fields (hundreds of people) singing a Brian Wilson tune on Lennon's 75th birthday was a total mind f***.

Then (because he wanted to end on a serious note) -- for the first time ever -- Al Jardine, standing on the "Imagine" mosaic sang an acoustic rendition of "God Only Knows."

MAJOR.

Start looking for it on YouTube, because EVERYONE was filming it.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 01:55:42 PM »

Al's appearance at Strawberry Fields today to film him with the crowd singing "Imagine" as part of the Yoko-approved, UN-sponsored peace effort was nothing short of a hero's welcome.

After two takes, one of the thousand guitarists at the mosaic launched into "Little Deuce Coupe" and although he tried hard, Al couldn't resist and soon singing lead.
Another guy handed him a guitar and Al started "Wake The World" -- then declared it was "too esoteric" and dove into into "Help Me, Rhonda."
Hearing all of Strawberry Fields (hundreds of people) singing a Brian Wilson tune on Lennon's 75th birthday was a total mind f***.

Then (because he wanted to end on a serious note) -- for the first time ever -- Al Jardine, standing on the "Imagine" mosaic sang an acoustic rendition of "God Only Knows."

MAJOR.

Very cool story. I've thought over the years about how Al has never really sung "God Only Knows" himself. He sang along with his sons alternating lines with the Wilson sisters in the "Family & Friends" days. But nothing near a solo version.

Hope some quality footage and/or audio of Al's activities in NY show up soon.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 02:14:48 PM »

Al Jardine, founding member of the Beach Boys, will honor John
Lennon tomorrow in New York's Central Park on what would have
been the late musician's 75th birthday.

Jardine will play at the Imagine mosaic plaque in the Strawberry
Fields section of Central Park, an area dedicated to the memory
of Lennon. The appearance will be filmed as part of a project by
Jardine and director Michael Jurkovac and produced by longtime
Jardine collaborator Larry Dvoskin.

The history between Jardine and Lennon goes back to the 1960s
when the Beach Boys and The Beatles were contemporaries and
friends, even embarking on a trip to India together to visit the
father of Transcendental Meditation Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

http://www.relix.com/news/detail/al_jardine_to_commemorate_john_lennons_75th_birthday

Although Al has been known for some memory flubs, the article doesn't quote him. I imagine the writer is confusing Mike and Al. No doubt Al remembers he wasn't in India with the Beatles

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 04:01:02 PM »

MAJOR.

Very cool story. I've thought over the years about how Al has never really sung "God Only Knows" himself. He sang along with his sons alternating lines with the Wilson sisters in the "Family & Friends" days. But nothing near a solo version.

Hope some quality footage and/or audio of Al's activities in NY show up soon.

He sang it with Lars Muhl and Githa Ben-David in 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVPUtmTyeqQ
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 05:16:17 PM »

MAJOR.

Wish I could have been there...incredibly tasteful, and full of nothing but honor. The pictures on Al's Facebook say it all.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2015, 07:05:43 PM »

Snippet Of Imagine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkYydzQxAX0

Snippet of Help Me Rhonda (Al's official YT account):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA-S2GD3vvA

More of a group sing-along than Al solo

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2015, 07:08:41 PM »

Here is 25 minutes of Al talking yesterday at the interview event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US3QqYXU1JM

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2015, 07:49:44 PM »

Hope that GOK shows up at 1 point
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2015, 01:58:53 AM »

MAJOR.

That's great, Howie! Made my Saturday morning.
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2015, 06:15:39 AM »

Here is 25 minutes of Al talking yesterday at the interview event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US3QqYXU1JM

Al could very well be the world's worst story teller but I could listen to him all day long. Such a genuine, charming guy.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2015, 10:32:23 AM »

Snippet Of Imagine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkYydzQxAX0

Snippet of Help Me Rhonda (Al's official YT account):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA-S2GD3vvA

More of a group sing-along than Al solo

Heart-warming stuff, thanks for posting!
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2015, 12:50:55 PM »

this might sound a bit harsh, but Brian really seems to push the Paul McCartney thing way more than Paul does whenever the two end up in the same place...

Because as we know, fans like you are more qualified to cast doubt on this kind of thing than the actual musicians involved, who share a friendship, are to mention it in conversations. Makes perfect sense.  Roll Eyes

Or maybe you know more about Brian and Paul's personal interactions than anyone else, if so please fill us in.

Just making a social observation. Never claimed to be right, but thanks for the usual snarky response...right on schedule.

Not so, RS. This was not a usual, snarky response at all.  Far more filthy, spiteful, hateful comments are totally ignored (and therefore encouraged) as long as they aren't directed at a personal favorite.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2015, 02:32:24 PM »

Not so, RS. This was not a usual, snarky response at all.  Far more filthy, spiteful, hateful comments are totally ignored (and therefore encouraged) as long as they aren't directed at a personal favorite.

So it's Ok then to complain about other posters, "the usual suspects", ad infinitum, then go ahead and throw shade at and cast doubt on things related to John Lennon's b-day commemorations by Brian and Al, in this case Al specifically, for no discernible reason other than to play the negative card. And I got called a hypocrite?

Gotcha. Noted.

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2015, 03:35:01 PM »

MAJOR.

Welcomed news.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2015, 05:28:38 PM »

The woman sitting next to Al is HOT!  Is she someone we should know?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2015, 07:27:33 PM »

The woman sitting next to Al is HOT!  Is she someone we should know?

Someone we'd like to know!!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2015, 12:47:03 PM »

Official Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0t0mvJugvA

Published on Dec 8, 2015
On Oct. 9th, 2015 Al Jardine, original founding member of The Beach Boys and I, Larry Dvoskin, went to Central Park's IMAGINE plaque at Strawberry Fields to lead a crowd in singing John Lennon's classic IMAGINE. It was filmed as part of a UNICEF/UN charity project called "Every Voice Counts" which features ordinary people around the world singing IMAGINE, along with celebrities to spread peace and awareness.

December 8, 2015 is the 35th anniversary of when Mr. Lennon was killed. This 'making of' preview video is to commemorate the mission of peace that Yoko and John devoted their lives toward. To find out more about the children's rights and emergency relief organization visit www.unicef.org
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx