gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 09:50:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al's John Lennon Tribute  (Read 10138 times)
Smilin Ed H
« on: October 08, 2015, 01:14:54 PM »

Al Jardine, founding member of the Beach Boys, will honor John
Lennon tomorrow in New York's Central Park on what would have
been the late musician's 75th birthday.

Jardine will play at the Imagine mosaic plaque in the Strawberry
Fields section of Central Park, an area dedicated to the memory
of Lennon. The appearance will be filmed as part of a project by
Jardine and director Michael Jurkovac and produced by longtime
Jardine collaborator Larry Dvoskin.

The history between Jardine and Lennon goes back to the 1960s
when the Beach Boys and The Beatles were contemporaries and
friends, even embarking on a trip to India together to visit the
father of Transcendental Meditation Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

http://www.relix.com/news/detail/al_jardine_to_commemorate_john_lennons_75th_birthday
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 01:48:29 PM »

Al Jardine, founding member of the Beach Boys, will honor John
Lennon tomorrow in New York's Central Park on what would have
been the late musician's 75th birthday.

Jardine will play at the Imagine mosaic plaque in the Strawberry
Fields section of Central Park, an area dedicated to the memory
of Lennon. The appearance will be filmed as part of a project by
Jardine and director Michael Jurkovac and produced by longtime
Jardine collaborator Larry Dvoskin.

http://www.relix.com/news/detail/al_jardine_to_commemorate_john_lennons_75th_birthday

Sounds good! Hopefully a film of this gets produced. I wonder who else they'll have in the way of guest stars?

Tangentially related, but Larry Dvoskin is a cool guy. He co-wrote "Waves of Love" which I always felt would have been a nice fit on TWGMTR. I found out about him via a songwriting workshop he posted to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qy9YAk2vNI

Great stuff for aspiring songwriters like me.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 01:56:04 PM »

My favorite Larry Dvoskin quote is, regarding the non-appearance of "Waves of Love" on TWGMTR:

“Mike 1000% c*ck blocked Al Jardine & Bruce from having any of their songs on the record out of self interest.”

Yes, I'm well aware that Fine's Rolling Stone article mentions that Brian wasn't into it either, but Dvoskin’s take is interesting and thought-provoking if nothing else.

I hope this deal Al's doing for this show turns out well. I'm not holding my breath that they'll actually finish and release any film project; their pace/track record for getting product out there isn't too great.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 02:20:43 PM »

WHoa....   Just hold on there bub! 
With any luck, they're likely to have the project finished in time for the 50th Anniversary of Lennon's passing

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 02:24:10 PM »

Well, you learn something new every day. I didn't know Jardine and Lennon had a "history", I didn't consider The Beach Boys and The Beatles to be "friends", and I didn't realize Al and/or The Beach Boys embarked on a trip to India "together" with The Beatles.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 02:39:57 PM »

My favorite Larry Dvoskin quote is, regarding the non-appearance of "Waves of Love" on TWGMTR:

“Mike 1000% c*ck blocked Al Jardine & Bruce from having any of their songs on the record out of self interest.”

Yes, I'm well aware that Fine's Rolling Stone article mentions that Brian wasn't into it either, but Dvoskin’s take is interesting and thought-provoking if nothing else.

Wow. I'm not a Mike-hater by any stretch, but (if accurate) what a dick move. "Don't Fight the Sea", "Waves of Love" and potentially the re-make of "She Believes in Love Again" (never heard it) in place of some of the weaker ML numbers would have strengthened the record and given it a more representative group sound, including two Carl vocals.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 03:01:57 PM »

Wow. I'm not a Mike-hater by any stretch, but (if accurate) what a dick move. "Don't Fight the Sea", "Waves of Love" and potentially the re-make of "She Believes in Love Again" (never heard it) in place of some of the weaker ML numbers would have strengthened the record and given it a more representative group sound, including two Carl vocals.

Mike wouldn't have done any c*ck blocking if he'd just been allowed to sit alone in a room with Brian and write some new versions of his old songs

Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 03:58:33 PM »

Mike wouldn't have done any c*ck blocking if he'd just been allowed to sit alone in a room with Brian and write some new versions of his old songs

How's About a Little Bit of Rock 'n Roll Music? Daybreak Over Kokomo? Santa's Got a Little Deuce Coupe?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:00:06 PM by Jason Penick » Logged

SUICIDE
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 04:16:55 PM »

Well, you learn something new every day. I didn't know Jardine and Lennon had a "history", I didn't consider The Beach Boys and The Beatles to be "friends", and I didn't realize Al and/or The Beach Boys embarked on a trip to India "together" with The Beatles.
Yeah; my thoughts.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 04:18:31 PM »

How about Return to Kokomo? Grin  Get to work on it Mike!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 04:28:30 PM »

I was expecting posters to jump all over Jardine about the inaccuracies in the article. But no; such a thing happens with ML-article/interview threads.

BTW, this very thread turned into an anti-Mike fest about a quote that is not unsupported by first-hand accounts (i.e. first-hand accounts let us know Brian nixed Al's song). But it's easier to blame Love, just as it was easy for O'Hagan to blame the failure of his purported association with the Boys on Mike rather than on Brian's lack of interest.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 04:59:20 PM »

I was expecting posters to jump all over Jardine about the inaccuracies in the article. But no; such a thing happens with ML-article/interview threads.

BTW, this very thread turned into an anti-Mike fest about a quote that is not unsupported by first-hand accounts (i.e. first-hand accounts let us know Brian nixed Al's song). But it's easier to blame Love, just as it was easy for O'Hagan to blame the failure of his purported association with the Boys on Mike rather than on Brian's lack of interest.

So if something is not unsupported, then that means it is supported. Correct?

For the rest , all I hear is blah blah blah

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 05:09:25 PM »

So if something is not unsupported, then that means it is supported. Correct?

For the rest , all I hear is blah blah blah

Oh that is not supported.

Anyway, time to destroy that Bruce J interview.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 05:19:13 PM »

Take that Mike and Pisces Brothers.  Nice tribute...but Al's friendship with Lennon was likely about as strong as Mike's and Harrison's.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 05:23:16 PM »

How's About a Little Bit of Rock 'n Roll Music? Daybreak Over Kokomo? Santa's Got a Little Deuce Coupe?

LOL LOL  ...and yes, myKe luHv is a dik.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 05:32:49 PM »

Not a matter of being a myKe hater but more of a matter of clarity as to how ego has forever mucked up his psyche to a hightened state of FUBAR.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 05:36:28 PM »

Hey Autotune, does Mike's Beard know you're out by yourself?
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 07:02:20 PM »

I was at Al's "Imagine" recording session today as well as his private Pond 5 "storyteller" gig tonight.
Stellar stuff.

By the way, it was Lennon & Harrison who hipped Al onto TM in '67.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 07:11:23 PM »

Maybe it's just me as a Beatles fan seeing this, but why does it seem the Beach Boys are always trying to make-up 60's friendships with the Beatles that never really happened to the degree they describe? Mike & George Harrison lately...now Al & John Lennon and this might sound a bit harsh, but Brian really seems to push the Paul McCartney thing way more than Paul does whenever the two end up in the same place...and jamming with the boys on the 4th of July meant so much to Ringo that he got drunk and has said multiple times he has no recollection whatsoever of the entire day......
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 07:23:43 PM »

Maybe it's just me as a Beatles fan seeing this, but why does it seem the Beach Boys are always trying to make-up 60's friendships with the Beatles that never really happened to the degree they describe? Mike & George Harrison lately...now Al & John Lennon and this might sound a bit harsh, but Brian really seems to push the Paul McCartney thing way more than Paul does whenever the two end up in the same place...and jamming with the boys on the 4th of July meant so much to Ringo that he got drunk and has said multiple times he has no recollection whatsoever of the entire day......

The Mike thing, yeah. Al? Seems to me, he's doing a tribute performance because he treasures the memory of John and CAN do something that some people will appreciate( obviously not you )I don't see any quotes in the article where AL is claiming the freindship. Relix printed something based on events they think happened.  Of course it's completely unheard of for a magazine to get their facts wrong... 

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 07:28:11 PM »

this might sound a bit harsh, but Brian really seems to push the Paul McCartney thing way more than Paul does whenever the two end up in the same place...

Because as we know, fans like you are more qualified to cast doubt on this kind of thing than the actual musicians involved, who share a friendship, are to mention it in conversations. Makes perfect sense.  Roll Eyes

Or maybe you know more about Brian and Paul's personal interactions than anyone else, if so please fill us in.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 07:38:32 PM »

Sean O'Hagan reference? That's scraping the bottom of the proverbial barrel.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 07:40:14 PM »

Hey Autotune, does Mike's Beard know you're out by yourself?

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 11:27:04 PM »

I was at Al's "Imagine" recording session today as well as his private Pond 5 "storyteller" gig tonight.
Stellar stuff.

Thanks, Howie. With the almost inevitable direction this thread was taking, I was beginning to regret I posted what I thought was some interesting news for fans of the band.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 11:28:31 PM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2015, 11:48:23 PM »

Stellar stuff.

Thanks, Howie. With the almost inevitable direction this thread was taking, I was beginning to regret I posted what I thought was some interesting news for fans of the band.

Fans appreciated it, thanks for the heads up!

Others must have felt otherwise, or just wanted to stir the pot:

For the record, Lennon and Harrison are pictured here:

Taken 12/15/1967 (The Beatles sites often date it 12/16...) at that Beach Boys concert which they played for a UNICEF benefit, where John and George were in attendance...and some other stuff happened. Check the board's archives, it's all there. And Al seems to have confirmed it too... Smiley

So the India part of it wasn't 100% accurate...maybe he was "misquoted", or rather he meant to say "Paris" but forgot, or an intern at the publication made a sloppy error...or something.  Grin

EDIT: Cleaner version of the photo, and there are multiple others since it was an event the international media covered...

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:20:09 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx