gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
636590 Posts in 25453 Topics by 3621 Members - Latest Member: rickyroma August 21, 2018, 02:49:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread  (Read 3678 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna join?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2018, 01:01:50 AM »

As I said, strictly looking at that pic, Syd looks like regular old guy. Maybe to you it shows him in bad way (without knowing details, side effects etc). To me, he looks casually. That's the point.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

People divide into 3 groups - Nancy Sinatra fans, Nancy Sinatra haters, Nancy Sinatra whatevers. ("Riddles & Puzzles. Music Edition")

Favorite poster: I don't hang posters in the wall. 'Kay?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2018, 02:32:06 AM »

As I said, strictly looking at that pic, Syd looks like regular old guy. Maybe to you it shows him in bad way (without knowing details, side effects etc). To me, he looks casually. That's the point.
Sorry, I overlooked that part of the post. After going through photos online real quick, he did get some grey and white hair over time. When I made my post I was thinking about a specific picture of Syd in the mid 1970's, when he showed up unexpectedly at the studio where Pink Floyd was recording. At first glance it appears that it's just an older person, but it's SYd with a bald head and no eyebrows. I think he would have been barely thirty years old in that picture. I had forgotten that there were indeed some pictures of Syd as an older man.  Grin

I approve this Message!
KDS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2018, 05:21:26 AM »

Would like to say few things about Syd. 1stly, he didn't do anything especially ground-breaking to get people put Syd in pedestal. Yet he/ his persona brought cult following. Being main songwriter-guitarist-singer when PF began isn't unique case which doesn't take place in different bands. He gave up very quickly. If music business is tough to deal with, he should be sth. else instead. Lines galore. Fast fwd, when pics appeared in the Internet with chubby bald Syd, everybody said he looks bad, amazed that he changed to the point he doesn't look like young Syd. Frankly, it's silly reaction. Face it, many chaps, esp. when they age, get bald, many I see walking by in the streets got big belly. Syd's like average people. Without knowing details, going strictly by pics, Syd's changed look makes sense. We know he lived as recluse, it shows in pics too. But, again, there's many like him.

Meddle's good album, nice to read "Echoes" listed. When did you discover Pink Floyd? Did you listen to it chronologically? Did you get into it via different British bands?

Syd's guitar playing was actually very different from what was doing on at the time.   He also taught Gilmour how to play, even if Gilmour turned into a much better player.  I also agree that his songwriting is a bit overrated.   

If you want to see an better example of a pic of Syd looking "bad," there's one that was taken in 1974, when Syd showed up at one of Floyd's recording sessions.   He'd put on a lot of weight and shaved his head, and while still pretty young, looked nothing like the play who broke with Floyd. 

I think Floyd first caught my ear when I was 15, going on 16, in the summer of 1996.   By chance, I caught a showing of the movie The Wall on basic cable, and I loved the music.  I was obsessed with The Wall album for about a year, then later went and got all of their other albums.    So, I didn't listen in chronological order.   If I recall, I started with Dark Side, then the two post Waters albums, then went from there.   

Once, I'd listened to all the Floyd albums front to back many many times, I got the Gilmour and Waters solo albums.   

Luckily, at the height of my new Floyd fandom, in 1999, Roger Waters announced he was going on his first tour in 12 years.   I've had the chance to see him five times.   I'm still waiting on a full US tour from Gilmour.   I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Any opinions posted by me regarding the music of The Beach Boys, and their members, is in no way a show of disrespect towards any member of The Beach Boys, past or present.

"There is no right nor wrong in art, only preference." - Steve Desper
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx