gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:07:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread  (Read 27222 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2015, 05:18:52 PM »

I've always preferred the early Floyd with Syd.

I'm more partial to Gilmour as a guitarist, but Syd taught David how to play. 

The Floyd did some brilliant stuff when Syd was their main man.  It's interesting to ponder what kind of music they'd have done had Syd been able to keep himself together. 
My impression is that Gilmour was playing guitar before he met Syd (starting when he was very young) and that he was always technically a better player.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2015, 09:38:23 PM »

Dave taught Syd how to play guys!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2015, 09:53:23 PM »

Yeah. I'm actually reading a bio of Syd currently and it seems that he was just noodling right up to '66.
KDS
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2015, 05:15:51 AM »

Wow.  I can't believe I goofed that up.  I guess I'm a little rusty on my Pink Floyd history. 

I've been peaking at some David Gilmour setlists from the UK.  I'm pretty confident he's not going to be touring the States.  I see he's still including Astronomy Domine in his sets.  During his shows for On an Island, he was alternating Dark Globe, Dominoes, Astronomy Domine, and Arnold Layne.
KDS
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 05:41:00 AM »

Wanted to revive this thread to discuss a fairly recent Floyd release.

Has anybody seen the film Roger Waters - The Wall.  Apparently, it's up for a Grammy this weekend. 

I got the Blu Ray for Christmas, and sat down to watch it on Sunday. 

I found the live footage to be very good.  Although, I would've liked more wide shots to get the full scope of The Wall, the screen, props, etc. 

However, the film itself it not a straight concert film.  The complete Wall concert includes clips of Roger Waters on a road trip to visit the graves of his grandfather who died in WWI, and his father, who died in WWII.  While some of these scenes are genuinely moving, others appear to be Roger stroking his ego.  I wish there was an option to watch JUST the concert.  Personally, I sometimes find Roger's politics to be a little tiresome at times, and the inclusion of a new political song as a reprise of Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 was most unwelcome IMO. 

Extras include some clips from The Wall show at the O2 with David Gilmour playing Comfortably Numb.  Unfortunately, that version might have the worst CN guitar solo I've ever heard.  The Dave Kilminster version from the main feature is surprisingly much better.  Maybe Gilmour was nervous being on top of that wall for the first time in 30 years.  Gilmour and Nick Mason were brought out for Outside the Wall, so it's neat to see the three surviving Floyd members onstage together. 

I will say that Roger has a great band, and musically, this version is far superior to the Berlin 1990 DVD.  I'm still holding out hope that, one day, we get an official release of a Pink Floyd Wall Show. 

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2017, 08:10:57 AM »

Happy 71st birthday, David Gilmour!

With thanks to KDS for the heads up...

https://youtu.be/cWGE9Gi0bB0

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2017, 06:26:06 AM »

Found the old Pink Floyd thread I started. 

Has anyone else heard the new Roger Waters album - Is This the Life We Really Want?

After a 25 year wait after his stellar Amused to Death album, I thought this album was a complete disappointment.  It's getting good reviews, but I'm not really sure why. 

I may not agree with Roger's political views, but quite frankly, I don't care about them as long as the songs are good.  There's little to no melody on this album at all.  There's also little to no guitar work.  Roger's lyrics have always been best when accented by great guitar work, be it by David Gilmour, Eric Clapton, or Jeff Beck.   Roger has a great touring band, but they seem largely absent on this LP. 

Maybe if Roger had taken a little more time, and not been so quick to try to get a record out after the election / inauguration, he'd actually have crafted some good melodies here.  But, the album just feels dull and lifeless to me.  The only real standout track, Smell the Roses, is just simply a Have a Cigar retread.   
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2017, 05:53:27 PM »

I never thought of Waters as a great melody crafter... But I have yet t hear the new album. I'll give it a listen and post my thoughts...
KDS
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2017, 06:49:31 PM »

I never thought of Waters as a great melody crafter... But I have yet t hear the new album. I'll give it a listen and post my thoughts...

David and Richard were the best with melody in the band, but Roger wrote a bulk of Animals, The Wall, and The Final Cut with little help. 

His solo albums do somewhat lack great melodies, but they're not as plodding as the new one.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2017, 08:46:50 PM »

Roger Waters is great! I like his voice the best in Pink Floyd, David Gilmour doesn't sing as good. Thanks to tell about new Waters album - shall check it in local free music download site. 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2017, 03:54:23 AM »

Roger Waters is great! I like his voice the best in Pink Floyd, David Gilmour doesn't sing as good. Thanks to tell about new Waters album - shall check it in local free music download site. 3D

To each their own, but I think David is my far the better singer, and his voice has aged much better than Roger's.
KDS
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2017, 10:25:15 AM »

Speaking of David Gilmour, his upcoming Pompeii concert release looks good. 

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/watch-david-gilmour-in-historic-live-at-pompeii-trailer-w491802
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2017, 11:24:42 AM »

I'm a Floyd fan. The Syd era is my favorite and I absolutely love what they did all throughout the 70s, especially the earlier part of that decade. Obscured By Clouds, Atom Heart Mother and Meddle are some of my favorites. Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is definitely amongst my favorite albums ever. When I first got into them as a kid in the early eightues I fell into the whole The Wall thing. Watched the movie a zillion times. Eventually I burned out on The Wall and started digging deeper and eventually came across Relics in the bargain bin and finally heard what Syd sounded like. I became a Syd fan and searched everywhere for his solo albums (no amazon or ebay in 1984, and limited on the local record shops in the area I grew up in). A guy at a local flea market had Madcap Laughs for $20. Damn glad I bought it. As far as my favorite Pink Floyd songs go,  Vegetable Man and Jugband Blues are probably tied at number one for me. I'm not too big on any of the member's solo stuff (except Syd of course). But I've enjoyed some of their solo material. David's stuff is particularly good.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:45:38 AM by Mike Garneau » Logged
KDS
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »

I'm a Floyd fan. The Syd era is my favorite and I absolutely love what they did all throughout the 70s, especially the earlier part of that decade. Obscured By Clouds, Atom Heart Mother and Meddle are some of my favorites. Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is definitely amongst my favorite albums ever. When I first got into them as a kid in the early eightues I fell into the whole The Wall thing. Watched the movie a zillion times. Eventually I burned out on The Wall and started digging deeper and eventually came across Relics in the bargain bin and finally heard what Syd sounded like. I became a Syd fan and searched everywhere for his solo albums (no amazon or ebay in 1984, and limited on the local record shops in the area I grew up in). A guy at a local flea market had Madcap Laughs for $20. Damn glad I bought it. As far as my favorite Pink Floyd songs go,  Vegetable Man and Jugband Blues are probably tied at number one for me. I'm not too big on any of the member's solo stuff (except Syd of course). But I've enjoyed some of their solo material. David's stuff is particularly good.

I like the early Syd stuff, but I much prefer their 70s output, with Gilmour, Waters, Wright, and Mason (even though Wright and Mason were pretty much session guys by Animals and The Wall). 

I like Syd's Floyd material, but I find his solo work to be a mixed bag.  Personally, I think the best tracks from Madcap Laughs and Barrett would make a very good album. 

Wright's solo output is alright.  I really like Water's Pros & Cons and Amused to Death albums (his new album was a supreme disappointment after a 25 year wait), but I think Gilmour is the more consistent solo artist. 
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2017, 04:08:58 PM »

Recently saw Roger do his fantastic show. Visually and sonically amazing!

Uses "Pigs" for an epic takedown of Trump. This video is from the San Jose show, taken nearby my seat.  Yes, that is a huge video screen dropped the length of the arena.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1EADVfeXkrI

Note: Two weeks after seeing Roger, I caught Brit Floyd in concert. Great show and the next best thing to seeing either David or Roger.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
KDS
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2017, 04:07:56 PM »

Recently saw Roger do his fantastic show. Visually and sonically amazing!

Uses "Pigs" for an epic takedown of Trump. This video is from the San Jose show, taken nearby my seat.  Yes, that is a huge video screen dropped the length of the arena.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1EADVfeXkrI

Note: Two weeks after seeing Roger, I caught Brit Floyd in concert. Great show and the next best thing to seeing either David or Roger.

Ive heard Roger's tour has been great.  Ive seen Rog five times.  Hoping for a US Gilmour tour.  Though not..........High Hopes. 
MatchPoint
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2017, 03:57:25 PM »

My favorite Pink Floyd era was when Syd Barrett and David Gilmour were kind-of-sort-of in the band at the same time. Five members is better than four as proven by The Beach Boys. Can you imagine the 15 Big Ones cover with four guys...? Doesn't work. Given this, I tune out on Pink Floyd after that period. Hope I didn't miss anything.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 06:15:53 PM by MatchPoint » Logged

KDS
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2017, 09:25:02 PM »

My favorite Pink Floyd era was when Syd Barrett and David Gilmour were kind-of-sort-of in the band at the same time. Five members is better than four as proven by The Beach Boys. Can you imagine the 15 Big Ones cover with four guys...? Doesn't work. Given this, I tune out on Pink Floyd after that period. Hope I didn't miss anything.

Considering the five man Floyd lasted for roughly half an album, Id say you missed out on quite a bit. 

But, I do like the 15BO art. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2018, 06:28:47 AM »

I last heard this classic Barrett composition played by a pair of buskers at London's Paddington Station! Sounded quite good actually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U0en1Y5S-w

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2018, 07:02:22 AM »

Listened to Animals - it's well played, well executed, sung but, at the same time, it funnily isn't album I'd like to listen again.
& am really puzzled by universal agreement re: early Pink Floyd singles - "Arnold Layne" etc. *Each* of them. Everybody who hears them say they like them but I listened many times & again today - nope, nothing special there.
Anyhoo, appreciation - favorite Pink Floyd is Roger Waters.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2018, 06:33:10 AM »

Listened to Animals - it's well played, well executed, sung but, at the same time, it funnily isn't album I'd like to listen again.
& am really puzzled by universal agreement re: early Pink Floyd singles - "Arnold Layne" etc. *Each* of them. Everybody who hears them say they like them but I listened many times & again today - nope, nothing special there.
Anyhoo, appreciation - favorite Pink Floyd is Roger Waters.

Why is it that you don't think you'd listen to Animals again, just curious?   I know it's a very dark album, but Waters' lyrics tend to veer in that direction.   

I think the early Floyd isn't nearly as good as their 70s material.   I know there are a lot of fans of the early / Syd Barrett era material across the Beach Boys boards, but, while I like it, I don't think it holds a candle to their 70s work, or even their 80s or 90s work for that matter.   

I'm a fan of most of Roger's lyrics, even if I think the guy is a bit of a blowhard, I have a lot of respect for him, and I've had the pleasure of seeing Waters in concert five times.    I really want to see Gilmour at some point, since his voice and guitar are more of the sound of classic Floyd to my ears.   I think Gilmour is a much better singer, and listening to their recent material, his voice has aged much better than Roger's. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2018, 05:20:33 AM »

As I said many times before, I usually don't pay attn to lyrics. "If they're bad, they're bad, who cares" - that kinda attitude. Dark music isn't super bad thing either. So what if it's dark. Nope, here the problem is sth. else, can't quite catch what precisely makes me not listen to Animals again.

You at least like the ealy Pink Floyd ("while I like it"). I don't. Early singles = dull as hell.

David's good musician, I'll give you that. But singing-wise, Roger's better to these ears.

Since you like David, would like to ask you this question - which guitar solo/ bits did impress you the best? List songs.

KDS
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2018, 05:30:34 AM »

As I said many times before, I usually don't pay attn to lyrics. "If they're bad, they're bad, who cares" - that kinda attitude. Dark music isn't super bad thing either. So what if it's dark. Nope, here the problem is sth. else, can't quite catch what precisely makes me not listen to Animals again.

You at least like the ealy Pink Floyd ("while I like it"). I don't. Early singles = dull as hell.

David's good musician, I'll give you that. But singing-wise, Roger's better to these ears.

Since you like David, would like to ask you this question - which guitar solo/ bits did impress you the best? List songs.

My all time favorite Gilmour solo is probably the slide guitar solo during Shine On You Crazy Diamond Part 6.   That's one of my all time favorite moments in all of music. 

Other Gilmour solos in no particular order

Atom Heart Mother - I can't remember which movement, but it's fairly early in the piece. 

Echoes - After the second verse

Mudmen

Time

Dogs - There's a lot of great Gilmour moments in that song. 

The Thin Ice

Comfortably Numb

Your Possible Pasts

The Fletcher Memorial Home

The Final Cut

On the Turning Away

High Hopes
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2018, 04:23:51 PM »

Would like to say few things about Syd. 1stly, he didn't do anything especially ground-breaking to get people put Syd in pedestal. Yet he/ his persona brought cult following. Being main songwriter-guitarist-singer when PF began isn't unique case which doesn't take place in different bands. He gave up very quickly. If music business is tough to deal with, he should be sth. else instead. Lines galore. Fast fwd, when pics appeared in the Internet with chubby bald Syd, everybody said he looks bad, amazed that he changed to the point he doesn't look like young Syd. Frankly, it's silly reaction. Face it, many chaps, esp. when they age, get bald, many I see walking by in the streets got big belly. Syd's like average people. Without knowing details, going strictly by pics, Syd's changed look makes sense. We know he lived as recluse, it shows in pics too. But, again, there's many like him.

Meddle's good album, nice to read "Echoes" listed. When did you discover Pink Floyd? Did you listen to it chronologically? Did you get into it via different British bands?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2018, 12:46:49 AM »

Would like to say few things about Syd. 1stly, he didn't do anything especially ground-breaking to get people put Syd in pedestal. Yet he/ his persona brought cult following. Being main songwriter-guitarist-singer when PF began isn't unique case which doesn't take place in different bands. He gave up very quickly. If music business is tough to deal with, he should be sth. else instead. Lines galore. Fast fwd, when pics appeared in the Internet with chubby bald Syd, everybody said he looks bad, amazed that he changed to the point he doesn't look like young Syd. Frankly, it's silly reaction. Face it, many chaps, esp. when they age, get bald, many I see walking by in the streets got big belly. Syd's like average people. Without knowing details, going strictly by pics, Syd's changed look makes sense. We know he lived as recluse, it shows in pics too. But, again, there's many like him.

Meddle's good album, nice to read "Echoes" listed. When did you discover Pink Floyd? Did you listen to it chronologically? Did you get into it via different British bands?
Syd's change in appearance was of his own doing though, and a result or side affect of his mental illness. He willingly shaved off all of his hair, as well as his eyebrows.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx