gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:32:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread  (Read 27215 times)
KDS
« on: October 08, 2015, 08:53:21 AM »

Hello All,

I've been involved in a few discussions on here about the great Pink Floyd, my favorite band. 

And it seems a good time to start a thread about them as David Gilmour just released an album, and Roger Waters is doing a benefit show in DC. 

Any other Floyd fanatics out there?  If so, favorite album?  Song?  Era of the group?  Live experiences?

Sadly, I got into Floyd too late to see them in concert.  Their final tour was 1994, as I was graduating middle school.  Although, it was a thrill to watch the reunited group on live TV in 2005 for Live 8. 

I've seen Roger Waters five times, twice on his In the Flesh Tour, twice on the Darkside of the Moon tour, and once with The Wall.  All great shows. 
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 09:51:54 AM »

Definitely in my top 5 favorite groups. My favorite album is probably The Wall. Nobody Home is among my favorites. My favorite era of the group has to be the Syd period though. As far as a live group I think they were at their beset in 1972. Live at Pompeii is probably the best live album ever recorded.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 10:40:11 AM »

Found this old thread (I knew there was at least one):

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8026.0.html

Mods, is it possible to combine them? It seems a shame to waste all these earlier folks' opinions----all grist to the mill, you know. Cool Guy

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 10:40:52 AM »

It's really hard for me to pick a favorite Floyd era.  

To me, it's a tie between the "classic" era of Meddle, Obscured By Clouds, Darkside, and Wish You Were Here, and the Waters era with Animals, The Wall, and The Final Cut.  

My favorite album is probably Wish You Were Here.  

Pompeii is a great document of the live Floyd.  It's too bad there really isn't much else documented from the classic line-up.  There's Pompeii, and some never officially released Wall concerts.  
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 02:17:58 AM »

I've never taken to Roger Waters, just as I've never taken to Mick Jagger----no idea why.

Unsurprisingly, then,  my two favourite PF albums are Piper and Wish You Were Here. Most of the other stuff just makes me miss Syd's presence.  

Other PF threads:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8026.0.html
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12692.0.html
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9822.0.html
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10112.0.html
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:25:40 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
KDS
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 09:33:39 PM »

Mr. K,

You've never taken to Roger Waters.  I guess you and I can't discuss how I think that Amused to Death is one of the greatest albums of the 1990s (I know, not saying much). 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 02:04:00 AM »

Mr. K,

You've never taken to Roger Waters.  I guess you and I can't discuss how I think that Amused to Death is one of the greatest albums of the 1990s (I know, not saying much). 

Well. When someone rates an album that highly, I'd be a fool not to at least give it a try. Which i shall do soon. 

Pim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 11:55:22 AM »

Amused To Death is awesome. I love the early Syd-floyd (the first two albums) and the 'classic' Floyd (Meddle - The Wall). The Gilmour Floyd doesn't do much for me and the post-Syd, pre-'concept' Floyd (Atom Heart Mother etc.) is a bit too experimental for me (though there are some great songs here and there).
KDS
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 09:10:58 PM »

Mr. K,

Well. When someone rates an album that highly, I'd be a fool not to at least give it a try. Which i shall do soon. 

I honestly think if the album had been released under the Pink Floyd banner, it would be a revered as Darkside or The Wall. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 01:59:00 AM »

KDS, I've listened to ATD and... I'm afraid it leaves me cold.

So, no change in my attitude to RW. To each their own, as they say...

KDS
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 05:45:24 AM »

KDS, I've listened to ATD and... I'm afraid it leaves me cold.

So, no change in my attitude to RW. To each their own, as they say...

At least you gave it a try.  But if you're not into the Waters era of Floyd (Animals, The Wall, The Final Cut), then you're probably not going to much care for ATD.

I'm on the other side of the fence, where I think the Syd material, while good, tends to get a little overrated because of what happened to him.     
rogerlancelot
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 07:20:17 PM »

I was lucky to see them in concert on September 21st, 1987 in Toronto where they opened with "Echoes" which is easily my favorite Floyd song. I'm sorry I missed them on the 1994 tour but I was broke at the time. On a related note, I see a lot of BB influence on Rick Wright's early songs, especially "It Would Be So Nice" and "Summer '68".
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 07:31:26 PM »

I'm on the other side of the fence, where I think the Syd material, while good, tends to get a little overrated because of what happened to him.     

I think Arnaldo Baptista (Os Mutantes) has become the new Syd Barrett. Syd's become trendy, and we all don't like trends. Smiley

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
KDS
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 05:06:56 AM »

I was lucky to see them in concert on September 21st, 1987 in Toronto where they opened with "Echoes" which is easily my favorite Floyd song. I'm sorry I missed them on the 1994 tour but I was broke at the time. On a related note, I see a lot of BB influence on Rick Wright's early songs, especially "It Would Be So Nice" and "Summer '68".

Summer '68 is one of their most underrated songs.  I'm in the minority in that I liked their "experimental period" from 1968-1970 better than the Syd era.  I think Atom Heart Mother is a really good album (would be great if not for Alan's Psychadelic Breakfast). 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 08:15:28 AM »

My favourite period is from Ummagumma leading up 'till Dark Side. The whole band dynamic changed with the mega success of DSOTM and not for the better.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
KDS
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 08:23:37 AM »

My favourite period is from Ummagumma leading up 'till Dark Side. The whole band dynamic changed with the mega success of DSOTM and not for the better.

I really like it all, so it's really hard for me to pick my favorite era. 

I love everything they did in the 1970s, so that really spans the experimental era, the "classic" era, and the Roger Waters era.

Sadly, as much as I love DSOTM, working in radio killed Time, Money, Brian Damage, and Eclipse for me.  I'm sure one day, I'll be able to sit and enjoy that album again. 
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 09:11:32 AM »

Ummagumma doesn't get enough respect. Any decent best-of should include Grantchester Meadows.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

KDS
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 09:42:37 AM »

Ummagumma doesn't get enough respect. Any decent best-of should include Grantchester Meadows.

The live part of Ummagumma is great.

Sysyphus has it's moments.  I like The Narrow Way and Grantchester Meadows a lot.  Not keen on Grand Vizier or Several Species.  Sometimes during this time period, they got a little too experimental for my taste (ie. Alan's Psychadelic Breakfast). 

I think this version outshines the Roger only studio cut.  I've also heard full band versions of The Narrow Way Part 3 that I like better than the David only studio version.  It's a shame none of this stuff has ever gotten a legit release. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH0FUJ7PKzM
bluesno1fann
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 05:44:29 PM »

Pink Floyd has always been among my favourite bands. Though I have a preference for the Barrett years, I'm also very fond of the Waters-dominated period. I'll never forget when I went to see Roger Waters live as my first concert in 2012, an absolutely spectacular experience.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 07:49:06 PM »

Sysyphus has it's moments.  I like The Narrow Way and Grantchester Meadows a lot.  Not keen on Grand Vizier or Several Species.  Sometimes during this time period, they got a little too experimental for my taste (ie. Alan's Psychadelic Breakfast). 

I think this version outshines the Roger only studio cut.  I've also heard full band versions of The Narrow Way Part 3 that I like better than the David only studio version.  It's a shame none of this stuff has ever gotten a legit release. 

Oh man, the KQED show. I have the Harvested "remastered" DVD of that program. Amazing stuff. I would LOVE to see that become a proper release. So many great soundboards covering their whole career that they could put out, but...nada.

I can sort of dig where they're coming from; they want the released albums and singles to stand as their legacy. I don't think they'd be in a rush to release the Montreal gig from '77, for example. LOL

KDS
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 05:29:12 AM »

Oh man, the KQED show. I have the Harvested "remastered" DVD of that program. Amazing stuff. I would LOVE to see that become a proper release. So many great soundboards covering their whole career that they could put out, but...nada.

I can sort of dig where they're coming from; they want the released albums and singles to stand as their legacy. I don't think they'd be in a rush to release the Montreal gig from '77, for example. LOL

I was hoping one day that Floyd would release some sort of live anthology CD box set.  I know they've released some live tracks on the uber expensive immersion re-releases of their albums.  But to me, it's not worth the money to buy the albums I already have with some tracks that I've owned for years on b@@ts. 

I really thought they might release a Pink Floyd The Wall show for the 30th Anniversary.  But with Roger promoting the film and CD from his Wall tour, that seems more unlikely now than ever. 
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 01:40:00 PM »

Well, they already did release it...sort of. It was a compilation from all of the gigs. I don't think the video footage from the gigs is salvageable unless they're sitting on other stuff that hasn't leaked.

KDS
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 10:26:33 PM »

Well, they already did release it...sort of. It was a compilation from all of the gigs. I don't think the video footage from the gigs is salvageable unless they're sitting on other stuff that hasn't leaked.

They released a really good CD set in 2000.  I have yet to see it, but I've heard there's a good....shhhh....b@@tleg of one the Earl's Court shows going around.  I had a VHS from a Wall show in New York, and it was OK at best. 
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 12:18:04 PM »

I've always preferred the early Floyd with Syd.
KDS
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 12:41:56 PM »

I've always preferred the early Floyd with Syd.

I'm more partial to Gilmour as a guitarist, but Syd taught David how to play. 

The Floyd did some brilliant stuff when Syd was their main man.  It's interesting to ponder what kind of music they'd have done had Syd been able to keep himself together. 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx