gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:24:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Legacy of Endless Summer  (Read 6411 times)
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2015, 04:38:03 AM »

I came onboard thanks to the Beach Boys medly and tge accompanied lp of greatest hits which came out in Australia. I recall vividly how EVERY song on that album was good. It also had an insert sheet which listed all the then-current reissues. I was hooked and have been since Dec. 24 1981.
KDS
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2015, 06:04:45 AM »

I believe ES's highlighting of the oldies helped show how superior that music was to much of what was on FM radio, the album rock in the early '70s.    If you were in Connecticut listening to  WPLR, the album rock FM station out of New Haven, they would play an entire side of Endless Summer.  This was possible due to the format, which limited/grouped commercials in blocks.   Every evening there would be a longer special with 60-90? minutes devoted to one band.   After a long, impressive BB set, the DJ, Stoneman, once said:  "Back on the East Coast," and then go on to identify himself and the station.  It sometimes felt like we had left the East Coast with the immersive experience.
It's interesting that many of the FM rock stations latched onto "Endless Summer" - and the followups, too. Listening to classic rock radio today - which is supposed to represent what was popular then - you NEVER hear ANY Beach Boys songs.

This is very true.  But, at least in my market, I've noticed a shift in classic rock away from the 1960s. 

You might hear some early Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Cream, The Doors, or late Beatles.  But you never hear the height of the British Invasion (DC5, Hollies, early Beatles / Stones, Kinks, etc etc).  But you hear plenty of 70s and 80s rock.  And now, 90s era grunge is starting to make appearances on Classic Rock radio.  Our CR station here in Baltimore now plays Pearl Jam and Nirvana. 

Has anyone noticed this in other markets?  In the term "classic rock" shifting across the board? 
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 07:34:35 AM »

I believe ES's highlighting of the oldies helped show how superior that music was to much of what was on FM radio, the album rock in the early '70s.    If you were in Connecticut listening to  WPLR, the album rock FM station out of New Haven, they would play an entire side of Endless Summer.  This was possible due to the format, which limited/grouped commercials in blocks.   Every evening there would be a longer special with 60-90? minutes devoted to one band.   After a long, impressive BB set, the DJ, Stoneman, once said:  "Back on the East Coast," and then go on to identify himself and the station.  It sometimes felt like we had left the East Coast with the immersive experience.
It's interesting that many of the FM rock stations latched onto "Endless Summer" - and the followups, too. Listening to classic rock radio today - which is supposed to represent what was popular then - you NEVER hear ANY Beach Boys songs.

This is very true.  But, at least in my market, I've noticed a shift in classic rock away from the 1960s. 

You might hear some early Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Cream, The Doors, or late Beatles.  But you never hear the height of the British Invasion (DC5, Hollies, early Beatles / Stones, Kinks, etc etc).  But you hear plenty of 70s and 80s rock.  And now, 90s era grunge is starting to make appearances on Classic Rock radio.  Our CR station here in Baltimore now plays Pearl Jam and Nirvana. 

Has anyone noticed this in other markets?  In the term "classic rock" shifting across the board? 

I was actually going to make a thread about this later today in the general music forum.  In 2007 our oldies station switched to "greatest hits" which basically meant cutting out 50s rock and less 60s music, but adding 80s music.  In the past few months I noticed they changed their jingle to be more modern (auto tune, which I find odd for this station) and now they're playing even more 80s music.  A lot of it I don't even recognize.  Anything from the 60s is pretty much nonexistent and they've cut back on 70s music as well.  The only Beach Boys songs I hear are GV and Kokomo and that's very rare.  The Beatles are basically restricted to their last two albums.  Thankfully a new oldies station came on air a few years ago, but it's on AM, which is kind of a bummer.  I feel like they have better quality music than the other station had anyway.  They play Sinatra and Martin as well as popular instrumentals from that time. 
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2015, 07:47:15 AM »

Definitely.  I live in a 'mid sized' market, population 1M. For years we had a quite popular 'Oldies' AM station, but it signed off a few years ago.  Now the Classic Rock  stations will go back to mid sixties Stones or Beatles, but you never hear any Beach Boys on Classic Rock formats here.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2015, 10:08:09 AM »

My thoughts on Endless Summer:

- Yes, it could theoretically be one of the things that stopped the Beach Boys from growing as artists; however, they still did have some great tracks afterwards...many of us love The Beach Boys Love You, and there are post-EH signs of brilliance...just not to the extent of the pre-EH materials...like, you don't have albums' worth of greatness.

- However, how many people over the years became fans because of this album and furthered their musical education into some of Brian's most brilliant work as a result?

- Regardless, Endless Summer was an important album for so many reasons. It really bugs me that it's no longer available. Yes, the band has had countless similar compilations since, but the fact is, what dominated the charts for years was Endless Summer, not 50 Greatest Hits That Piss Off Whiny Entitled Fans or whatever it was called.

And a big thing, too...Endless Summer came out when the nostalgia craze was at a peak. What else did we have in and around that time? American Graffiti. Sha Na Na. Happy Days. Grease. Feel-good stuff. And what better way to celebrate musically than with feel-good Beach Boys' oldies?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2015, 03:04:05 PM »

Carl, talking about Endless Summer:

"We just surrendered to it. We'd gone through so many changes over the idea of oldies over the years, and now it was obvious what the people wanted us to play. Really obvious."

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/carl-wilson-interview-from-1983.html
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2015, 12:30:35 PM »

- Yes, it could theoretically be one of the things that stopped the Beach Boys from growing as artists; however, they still did have some great tracks afterwards...many of us love The Beach Boys Love You, and there are post-EH signs of brilliance...just not to the extent of the pre-EH materials...like, you don't have albums' worth of greatness.

- However, how many people over the years became fans because of this album and furthered their musical education into some of Brian's most brilliant work as a result?

- Regardless, Endless Summer was an important album for so many reasons. It really bugs me that it's no longer available. Yes, the band has had countless similar compilations since, but the fact is, what dominated the charts for years was Endless Summer, not 50 Greatest Hits That Piss Off Whiny Entitled Fans or whatever it was called.

And a big thing, too...Endless Summer came out when the nostalgia craze was at a peak. What else did we have in and around that time? American Graffiti. Sha Na Na. Happy Days. Grease. Feel-good stuff. And what better way to celebrate musically than with feel-good Beach Boys' oldies?
"Endless Summer" and "Spirit of America" should always be available. They are part of the history of the  Beach Boys. Those albums were so huge in the 70's, that music was part of any rock 'n' roll stations playlist - be it oldies, top 40, or AOR. "Good Vibrations - Best of the Beach Boys" is also a good comp - after buying ES, it was my nice BB album.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2015, 02:02:18 PM »

"Endless Summer" and "Spirit of America" should always be available. They are part of the history of the  Beach Boys. Those albums were so huge in the 70's, that music was part of any rock 'n' roll stations playlist - be it oldies, top 40, or AOR. "Good Vibrations - Best of the Beach Boys" is also a good comp - after buying ES, it was my nice BB album.

Both of them are still available on iTunes and you can get an import version on Amazon. 
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2015, 05:39:19 PM »

Its not like you cant just make your own though. Download or rip the songs and put them in that order. Boom. No one's denying the comp's impact, but its a waste of resources to keep these two specific comps available when theres so many more comprehensive comps and boxsets out there and you could easily make them yourself at home. It's not like this is an album of unique material we're talking about here.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2015, 05:52:29 PM »

Sunshine Dream was another great compilation that followed those 2 around 82?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »

I have all of those major comps from the 70s and 80s.     On vinyl.     Never listen to them.    I have remastered mega mixes on CD.    Those I listen to.     But at the time, I was thrilled to find and listen to them, and to discover some cuts I had not yet heard.  I hold onto these vinyl copies for nostalgia purposes.       Having said that I do still enjoy , in a nostalgic way, the sequencing of ES.   Remember, there was no GV on ES.  You had to buy another comp to get that! Wink
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2015, 07:54:01 AM »

I have all of those major comps from the 70s and 80s.     On vinyl.     Never listen to them.    I have remastered mega mixes on CD.    Those I listen to.     But at the time, I was thrilled to find and listen to them, and to discover some cuts I had not yet heard.  I hold onto these vinyl copies for nostalgia purposes.       Having said that I do still enjoy , in a nostalgic way, the sequencing of ES.   Remember, there was no GV on ES.  You had to buy another comp to get that! Wink

Yep, because Reprise owned the rights to the 1966-and-later stuff. FWIW, that really was a good compilation that they put out. Interesting that "Good Vibrations" was called "Good Vibrations (from the Air)" on that one, IIRC.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2015, 08:42:20 AM »

So overall, what are your thoughts on the complete track listing from the 'trilogy' of ES, SOA, and SD? exhaustive? Or missing key tracks?

"Surfin' Safari" 
   "Surfer Girl"
   "Catch a Wave"     
   "The Warmth of the Sun
   "Surfin' U.S.A.
   "Be True to Your School" 
   "Little Deuce Coupe"
   "In My Room"
   "Shut Down"
   "Fun, Fun, Fun"
   "I Get Around"
   "Girls on the Beach"
   "Wendy"     
   "Let Him Run Wild"
   "Don't Worry Baby"
   "California Girls" 
   "Girl Don't Tell Me"
   "Help Me, Rhonda" 
   "You're So Good to Me"
   "All Summer Long" 
"Dance, Dance, Dance"
"Break Away"
"A Young Man Is Gone"
"409"
"The Little Girl I Once Knew"
"Spirit of America"
"Little Honda"
"Hushabye"
"Hawaii"
"Drive-In"
"Good to My Baby"
"Tell Me Why"
"Do You Remember?"
"This Car of Mine"
"Please Let Me Wonder"
"Why Do Fools Fall in Love"
"Custom Machine"
"Barbara Ann"
"Salt Lake City"
"Don't Back Down"
"When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)"
"Do You Wanna Dance?"
"Graduation Day"
"I Can Hear Music"
"Here Today"
"Darlin'"
"Caroline, No"
"Aren't You Glad"
"Good Vibrations"
"Wouldn't It Be Nice"
"Friends"
"God Only Knows"
"Vegetables "
"How She Boogalooed It"
"There's No Other (Like You Baby)
"Heroes and Villains"
"All I Want To Do"
"Wild Honey"
"I'm Waiting for the Day"
"Cottonfields"
"Then I Kissed Her"
"Sloop John B"
"Be Here in the Morning"
"Bluebirds Over the Mountain"
"Keep an Eye on Summer"
"Do It Again"
"The Beach Boys Medley"
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2015, 10:42:11 AM »

It's a pretty nice compilation but I find it odd that they used the Today! version of Help Me Rhonda with the weird false endings instead of the more familiar and superior single version and the album version of Be True to Your School too.  Like were the masters for the single versions not available for some reason?

Maybe in the case of Be True To Your School, it was a matter of choosing stereo over mono, as was the case for all (most?) other tracks then available in stereo. In the case of Help Me Rhonda, I don't know why two mistakes were made —not only using the Today version instead of the single/Summer Days version, but spelling the Today! version included wrong. (Ronda, not Rhonda.  Grin)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2015, 10:47:39 AM »

It's been said that Capitol's storage system and facilities where they cataloged all the tapes and masters was in such disarray when they were compiling the package, they couldn't find a suitable master copy of the single version of Help Me Rhonda to press, so they went with the album version instead.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2015, 12:22:17 PM »

Maybe in the case of Be True To Your School, it was a matter of choosing stereo over mono, as was the case for all (most?) other tracks then available in stereo. In the case of Help Me Rhonda, I don't know why two mistakes were made —not only using the Today version instead of the single/Summer Days version, but spelling the Today! version included wrong. (Ronda, not Rhonda.  Grin)

if I remember my AGD correctly, it's actually that it was ORIGINALLY misspelled as "Ronda" but should have been "Rhonda," which means they actually got it right on Endless Summer. Smiley

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx