gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:52:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your SMiLE mix...for the fun of it  (Read 73451 times)
zavarov
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: February 01, 2016, 02:32:23 PM »

Grin
Hi guys! I'm an italian musician and producer and I love smile and Brian Wilson works in a very unexplainable way Smiley
I'm very proud of a personal smile reconstruction that i did a couple of years ago. I did it for a very simple pleasure and purpose; to make it more fluid and complete of the version we have until that day, so the love i feel for this album can be transmitted, to people near to me that don't know it.. It's unbeleivable but a lot of people don't know this master concept album.. Sad
 So i used a few things of the 2003 version to make some song complete, i remixed all.  I love smile because it's a great album with a prpose bigger of the technology of the time Smiley
Soon i'll upload it on the tube. If you wanna listen to it, this is an old emule link. it still works!

ed2k://|file|(D4Nk4.IT)%20Beach%20Boys%20-%20A%20personal%20%20Smile%20reconstruction_%202014.rar|66028895|FF220110E4F090C4CCE6AD50B4636D85|h=SQH5DRA4H2XATQ2FFS33FZXXTA7FPRZ7|/

Sorry for language mistakes...
Nice to meet you guy!
Dan

zavarov, the link for your SMiLE mix does not work. Please give it another try; I'd like to listen to it. Thanks...

That's it. A dropbox link.
I hope you Like it.
Smiley https://www.dropbox.com/s/enukbkudo1yhbzl/SMiLE%21%20by%20D4nk4%20.IT.mp3?dl=0

www.danielecatalucci.it

I enjoyed in very much, zavarov. It made me smile (absolutely no pun intended). Every couple of seconds, something was coming in or coming at me, right down to the last note, and I mean that in a good way. Some of your mixes/transitions made it sound like they (the songs/segments) really belonged there, like "I'm In Great Shape" after the "dum dum's", "Cabinessence" after the "whoo whoo's", and the final talking/skit into "You're welcome". I really like your final ending/fadeout; very psychedelic!
So pleased sheriff!
Ad a producer And sound engineer i've thought that The same Brian recorded And stretched stuff. So i enjoyed to create only emotion, not technique.
Pleased you like Smiley
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:37:55 PM by zavarov » Logged
zavarov
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 09, 2016, 09:16:03 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwCdeF0RzSI

Hope you like it!

For copyright restriction you can't see it on cellular, console and off course in Germany Smiley
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 09, 2016, 03:29:41 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwCdeF0RzSI

Hope you like it!

For copyright restriction you can't see it on cellular, console and off course in Germany Smiley
Very nice and smooth job of blending different tracks together, and You've done some different overdubbing things than what I've heard before. Thanks for sharing with the world!

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 14, 2016, 11:00:14 AM »

Gotta keep this thread alive  Evil

I decided to take a stab at another mix of H&V and thought to strip my version down a bit.

https://youtu.be/a19YspRVCK8

It starts out, as per usual, with the "Cantina version of H&V" intermixed with one or two snippets from "alternatebrianwilson's" version (which I recently, very pleasantly, discovered) and, unlike my previous mix, I chose to exclude the Bicycle Rider piano theme for this one altogether. Soon-after it cross-fades into "I'm In Great Shape" which is followed by the reprise of "I've Been In This Town So Long.." and this is where it gets interesting - I edited in the  H&V chant per the "Part 2" version of "H&V" and overdubbed the "Workshop" sounds over it. It ends with a, typically, earlier section in "H&V" the "Peace In The Valley" lyric and finally the "fluttering horn".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 15, 2016, 09:53:22 AM »

Gotta keep this thread alive  Evil

I decided to take a stab at another mix of H&V and thought to strip my version down a bit.

https://youtu.be/a19YspRVCK8

It starts out, as per usual, with the "Cantina version of H&V" intermixed with one or two snippets from "alternatebrianwilson's" version (which I recently, very pleasantly, discovered) and, unlike my previous mix, I chose to exclude the Bicycle Rider piano theme for this one altogether. Soon-after it cross-fades into "I'm In Great Shape" which is followed by the reprise of "I've Been In This Town So Long.." and this is where it gets interesting - I edited in the  H&V chant per the "Part 2" version of "H&V" and overdubbed the "Workshop" sounds over it. It ends with a, typically, earlier section in "H&V" the "Peace In The Valley" lyric and finally the "fluttering horn".

Nice work, yonderhillside! Very good flow and editing. It cracked me up the way you mixed that Van Dyke Parks' spoken word in there followed by the la-la-la's. I also liked your ending with the fluttering horn. I missed the word "dance" in the cantina section, and the "workshop sound effects", which I liked, might be mixed a little more prominently. But, overall great job.
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 15, 2016, 10:15:12 AM »

Thank you! Yeah, the "dance" part from Cantina had already been edited out from the alternatebrianwilson version, which I used as the primary editing track (which I'd love to take credit for the VDP snippet, because it's phenomenal, but that was ABW too). At first I thought of editing it back in but, more-or-less, came to the conclusion that it slows down the dynamic a bit. The "workshop sounds" were at first more prominent but honestly it had quite a jarring effect on the section so decided to lower the volume of it. However, you're probably right, I may have lowered it a bit too much as in some slight moments it can't really be heard. It's definitely not my end-all, be-all mix, just a bit of fun in my Audacity training.
stlabc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 10, 2016, 07:36:29 AM »

On the matter of Our Prayer and it's placement/sequencing in your mix.
 Was it Al that suggested ..... "This could be considered a track" ?
To which Brian responds "Not really, no .... we don't wanna do that.  This is a little intro, you know, to the album".
 In my mind it is not INTENDED as a track, which is reinforced by the nature of the music.  The dissonance and resolution in the music occur quickly and it seems those ideas are better served when spread throughout the album, as "intros" to the album sections perhaps.  The best example of this being when the final "ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ahhhhhhh" is used prior to SU.  The resolution of this section serve as a perfect set up to the opening chords of SU.  The sometimes jarring nature of SMiLE mixes can be smoothed out by using Our Prayer portions at opportune moments.  I used Our Prayer sections placed sequentially within the mix with the final section preceding SU.  Can you change the sequence ? Can you repeat sections ?  Do you leave it as one complete track to be placed at other than the beginning ?  Is it best left as a complete track / album opener ?

Sheriff has hinted he may have some thoughts on the matter. 

Let's get it started .... what say you ?

Here are my SMilE mixes. Enjoy !

Part 1      https://youtu.be/yXjLo3mYVVI
Part 2      https://youtu.be/Z5Y03Yldd8w
Part 3      https://youtu.be/10lsycE9t1k
Part 4      https://youtu.be/aYtjCZTBDWI
Part 5      https://youtu.be/7HTiVweBCv8
Part 6      https://youtu.be/DoFi59asxZ4
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 10, 2016, 01:44:36 PM »

Well, I never pass up the opportunity to repeat myself! Grin

First, I always considered "Our Prayer" to be a separate, complete track. If it was part of or an intro to another song, which would it be? "Heroes And Villains"? Does anybody have a suggestion? While it's certainly far from conclusive evidence, on 20/20, "Out Prayer" appears as a separate track.

Because "Our Prayer" did NOT appear on the infamous late-1966 handwritten tracklist, no, I don't think it was intended to appear on a final SMiLE. And, I find that very sad - and surprising. Is there a more beautifully written and performed piece of SMiLE music than "Our Prayer"? It has always remained in my Top 5 SMiLE songs. It's hard to believe that Brian WOULD discard it.

I know I will lose this argument - I always do - but I never thought of "Our Prayer" as an opening track (maybe I was prejudiced after decades of hearing it on 20/20). It just never sounded like an "opening" prayer to me. I think "Our Prayer" sounds more like a recessional (ending) hymn as opposed to a processional (opening) hymn. The transition on BWPS - "Our Prayer" into "Heroes And Villains" - never sounded quite right to me. I am aware of the 1966 session tapes and what Brian said, and obviously Darian Sahanaja liked it as an opener...that's why I always lose the argument Razz On BWPS, I do like the "Our Prayer" segment at the end, going into "Good Vibrations", although I wish they would've used the entire "Our Prayer" there.

Yes, I have always ended my SMiLE mixes with "Our Prayer" into "Surf's Up". No, I don't think a 1967 SMiLE would've ended like that because of what I said above, about "Our Prayer" being omitted. But, it just sounds so right to me, and it's my mix!  police
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 13, 2016, 12:13:47 PM »

I'm after a few dif SMiLE Fan mixes but alittle unsure whats the gen vibe these days (I looped out of SMiLE fan mixes a year ago after finding some great mixes so stayed with these)
Sooo, By general concensus, whats been the best fans mix of SMiLE....

1.  IN STEREO

2.  In MONO & percieved as most similiar to what B.Wilson was 'probably' going to do at the time

3.  The Most 'Complete' sounding (albeit with fly-ins) & best mixed

4.  The Most 'out there psyecedlic dynamic' SMiLE - (as long as the mixings hi fidelty, im all in for the most trippy thing done so far Smokin 3D Cool Guy Listening Air Quotes)

Many many thanks for your help, and also all the SMiLE mixes everyone's spent ages working on for us all to listen and enjoy.

The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 13, 2016, 02:09:16 PM »

I'm after a few dif SMiLE Fan mixes but alittle unsure whats the gen vibe these days (I looped out of SMiLE fan mixes a year ago after finding some great mixes so stayed with these)
Sooo, By general concensus, whats been the best fans mix of SMiLE....

1.  IN STEREO

2.  In MONO & percieved as most similiar to what B.Wilson was 'probably' going to do at the time

3.  The Most 'Complete' sounding (albeit with fly-ins) & best mixed

4.  The Most 'out there psyecedlic dynamic' SMiLE - (as long as the mixings hi fidelty, im all in for the most trippy thing done so far Smokin 3D Cool Guy Listening Air Quotes)

Many many thanks for your help, and also all the SMiLE mixes everyone's spent ages working on for us all to listen and enjoy.

1. Sonic's mix is a marvel.

2. I also regard Sonic's mono mix as something close as to how Brian could've attempted in mid-67

3. Seltaeb's mix is where it's at!

4. Seltaeb.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 13, 2016, 02:18:51 PM »

Recently, I completed my most cohesive mix of Smile yet. It has no Good Vibrations in it, just like how Brian intended.

Side One: American Gothic Trip:

1. Our Prayer (2:42)

2. Heroes and Villains (Bicycle Rider Pt. 1) (5:37)

3. Do You Like Worms (Bicycle Rider Pt. 2) (3:27)

4. Wonderful (2:01)

5. The Wild West Suite

- He Gives Speeches (0:57)

- Out in The Barnyard (0:47)

- The Old Master Painter (1:04)

- I'm in Great Shape (0:20)

6. Cabin Essence (Home on The Range) (3:56)

Side Two: God, Laughter and The Elements:

7. A Song For Children (2:36)

8. On a Holiday (2:07)

9. Wind Chimes (2:34)

10. The Elements Suite:

- Fire (2:12)

- Air (1:10)

- My Vega-Tables (1:28)

- Water (1:11)

11. Child Is The Father of The Man (My Heart Leaps Up) (1:57)

12. Surf's Up (4:50)

(Hidden Track: You're Welcome) (1:08)

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 13, 2016, 03:34:46 PM »

Recently, I completed my most cohesive mix of Smile yet. It has no Good Vibrations in it, just like how Brian intended.
When did this come to your attention? Brian has included it on both studio albums and all live performances. Did I miss something?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 13, 2016, 07:47:04 PM »

Side One: American Gothic Trip:

1. Our Prayer (2:42)
2. Heroes and Villains (Bicycle Rider Pt. 1) (5:37)
3. Do You Like Worms (Bicycle Rider Pt. 2) (3:27)
4. Wonderful (2:01)
5. The Wild West Suite
- He Gives Speeches (0:57)
- Out in The Barnyard (0:47)
- The Old Master Painter (1:04)
- I'm in Great Shape (0:20)
6. Cabin Essence (Home on The Range) (3:56)

Side Two: God, Laughter and The Elements:
7. A Song For Children (2:36)
8. On a Holiday (2:07)
9. Wind Chimes (2:34)
10. The Elements Suite:
- Fire (2:12)
- Air (1:10)
- My Vega-Tables (1:28)
- Water (1:11)
11. Child Is The Father of The Man (My Heart Leaps Up) (1:57)
12. Surf's Up (4:50)
(Hidden Track: You're Welcome) (1:08)

I'm going to require a link for that, Old Master Painter.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 13, 2016, 07:49:48 PM »

When did this come to your attention? Brian has included it on both studio albums and all live performances. Did I miss something?

Didn't Michael Vosse suggest something like that? As far as I'm concerned, GV was only a part of Smile due to Capitol's insistence.
zosobird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 14, 2016, 12:35:14 PM »

Didn't Michael Vosse suggest something like that? As far as I'm concerned, GV was only a part of Smile due to Capitol's insistence.

it's been pretty well documented that GV was going to be on a released SMiLE album, with BW's involvement. As such GV on SMiLE was what BW intended to do
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 15, 2016, 08:53:50 AM »

Yep and Capitol keeps insisting that he keeps it in his live show, as well as the 2011 box set. I suppose 40 plus years of pressure changed Brian's mind. Of course Good Vibrations was to be included, just like how Brian has said that Sloop John B was always intended for Pet Sounds. This isn't Great Britain. You don't leave the greatest song of your career off of possibly the greatest album of your career.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: March 17, 2016, 02:23:21 PM »

http://www2.zippyshare.com/v/QffX4rhf/file.html

A new edit of The Elements if anyone is interested.  It's essentially Mrs O'Leary's Cow as Fire (with Fire FX overdub), Dada Pt 1 as Earth, Second Day as Wind and Dada Part 2 as Water...  The later three strung together with the appropriate Psychedelic Sounds chants inserted into the rests in between the four Dada segments (as per Brian's dictation that dialog was going to go in the rests). 

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx