-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:54:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Umpqua Community College shooting today
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Umpqua Community College shooting today  (Read 7946 times)
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2015, 08:01:06 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/01/oregon-cops-respond-to-report-shooter-at-community-college/

Sending positive energy out to the individuals who lost their lives today. Keep the politics out of this thread.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 10:01:10 PM »

In a better world, all the suicidal creeps have the balls to off themselves without burdening others.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 05:46:03 AM »

Really sad, really frustrating that every few months innocent people are stolen from their friends and families by the sick, the deranged, or the evil. Sympathies to everyone left to deal with the aftermath.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 06:04:48 AM »

Very sad. 

Love and Mercy. 
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 06:50:32 AM »

We've heard so many stories like this in the past couple of years and I'm still never prepared to hear anything like it, it's just devastating and there's no way of explaining it or understanding motives, no matter how hard we try.   I can't imagine what families go through during times of loss like this, you never expect to hear such things happen to your own child, nobody should ever have to go through that.    Cry

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 07:33:23 AM »

Louis CK's bit on spoiled, crappy people.  Struck a chord with me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHaVqQfMkxY

halblaineisgood
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 07:26:42 PM »

My ideal version answers "f*** you, none your goshdarn business" - when posed the religion question.

Not tryin' to be a macho man/village person. Jus' sayin' - that's no one's business but my own.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 07:31:12 PM »

That or I would have tried to answer with the religion least likely to get me shot.

Though I guess he didn't like any religion. I'd lie about my religion,  bu not about having one. What a dork.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 07:32:46 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 08:11:30 PM »

Yeah, he was a fucking asshole. Shame he didn't just off himself instead of taking nine others down with him.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 06:02:31 AM »

I wish more that circumstances that led to his insanity--and I don't mean that at all in the sense of legal innocence, but just in the sense that anyone who kills innocent people seems to me to be insane--hadn't occurred and he'd been a productive citizen. But once that's off the table, yes, certainly it would have been best if he could have contained his terrible actions to himself.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 09:09:06 AM »

Yeah, he was a fucking asshole. Shame he didn't just off himself instead of taking nine others down with him.
From what I've read, the shooter was in a school for autism spectrum, and/or other educational/behavioral-based school. and went into the service (Army, I think) was booted prior to the finish of basic training. Someone, somewhere knows the history.  He didn't spend 20 something years off-the-grid.  There is likely an extensive school record.  No one is talking. Some psych diagnosis exists.  Who was his doctor? Did the doctor know that he was likely to commit a serious crime? Was he on medication that had violent side effects?

This supports the concept that there should be higher standards of ID for entering a school. There should be background checks to attend. If you go there, you get screened and have an ID. You don't get in without one.  And there should be metal detectors installed at every entrance. There are security people on campus already.  No one should have a weapon on campus or any school.  If the U.S. won't secure the borders and the shores, the schools need to pre-emptively secure themselves. 

There are more questions than answers.  Another school horror show. 
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 01:56:40 PM »

From what I've read, the shooter was in a school for autism spectrum, and/or other educational/behavioral-based school. and went into the service (Army, I think) was booted prior to the finish of basic training. Someone, somewhere knows the history.  He didn't spend 20 something years off-the-grid.  There is likely an extensive school record.  No one is talking. Some psych diagnosis exists.  Who was his doctor? Did the doctor know that he was likely to commit a serious crime? Was he on medication that had violent side effects?

This supports the concept that there should be higher standards of ID for entering a school. There should be background checks to attend. If you go there, you get screened and have an ID. You don't get in without one.  And there should be metal detectors installed at every entrance. There are security people on campus already.  No one should have a weapon on campus or any school.  If the U.S. won't secure the borders and the shores, the schools need to pre-emptively secure themselves.  

There are more questions than answers.  Another school horror show.  
So, in other words, the criteria for going to Community College should be stricter than for buying a gun? These kind of ideas are ludicrous. Do you propose the same rules for attending elementary school, going to a shopping mall or a movie.

It used to be extremely difficult to get a hand gun. Now, it is a major corporate industry guided by the NRA (funded by the gun industry) and promoted and protected by the Republican Party.

Highly recommend reading this article in Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/4-pro-gun-arguments-were-sick-of-hearing-20151001
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 02:00:50 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 02:20:48 PM »

Stop politicizing the murder of innocent people. BOTH of you.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 03:39:29 PM »

I believe the issue is inherently political. That said, the original poster (you) asked that this thread be dedicated to another aspect of the situation: the tragedy. And the innocent victims and their families deserve sympathy and support without injected ideology. I personally would be happy to discuss the political aspects ... somewhere else.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 05:01:07 PM »

BW changing the lyrics in L&M in philly about this issue really ring home. Sad
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 05:06:07 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 09:00:56 PM »

This is the typical right wing response every time this happens. So this is only a time for mourning? No, it's also a time for action! We just had a news crew gunned down. Nothing was done after Sandy Hook.

As an Oregon resident, I am both saddened and outraged!  And I am joining in the chorus of State residents in asking the Governor and Legislature to take action in making owning firearms a more difficult thing!

The Australians got rid of hand guns after their horrible mass shooting. So can we!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 09:48:28 PM »

How do you plan on getting rid of over three hundred million handguns?

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2015, 09:52:19 PM »

And if you think the right to bear arms deserves to be left in the dustbin of U.S. history, how about representation in government or freedom of speech? Leftists (I refuse to call them "liberal") are the new redcoats and they don't even know it.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2015, 10:07:15 PM »

And if you think the right to bear arms deserves to be left in the dustbin of U.S. history, how about representation in government or freedom of speech? Leftists (I refuse to call them "liberal") are the new redcoats and they don't even know it.

Just like the Australians did it, one handgun at a time!

The forefathers never intended citizens blowing away men, women and children with semi-automatic weapons.

If you understood history, which you right wing gun nuts so vastly distort, their intention was a ready Armed Force, on call for the defense of the country," A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." 

In the 21st Century, we have the best armed miltary in the world. I am a retired Naval Officer who served in ODS, as well as a former Police Officer. Like most of your views, calling me a leftist is not only ignorant but stupid.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2015, 10:20:26 PM »

Good luck with that. I'm sure the criminals will be first in line to turn them in.

The forefathers never intended citizens blowing away men, women and children with semi-automatic weapons.

If you understood history, which you right wing gun nuts so vastly distort, their intention was a ready Armed Force, on call for the defense of the country," A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." 

In the 21st Century, we have the best armed miltary in the world.

First of all, that's a reductio ad absurdum argument. Even the "right wing gun nuts" you hallucinate people like me as don't intend for people to blow each other away with semi-automatic weapons without reason. Evil lies in a man's heart, not in his implements. Oh, and the "militia" referenced in the Second Amendment refers to EVERYONE. I don't see anything there that disallows individuals from the right to keep and bear arms. Only redcoats like you hallucinate otherwise.

I am a retired Naval Officer who served in ODS, as well as a former Police Officer.

Congratulations. I also don't give a f***. Appeal to authority.

Like most of your views, calling me a leftist is not only ignorant but stupid.

And your assumption that all who support the right to bear arms and defend themselves against lawless thugs are somehow "right wing gun nuts" is not similarly ignorant? It must be great living in that glass house. I stand behind my label of you as a redcoat and as a leftist. Deal with it.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2015, 11:07:18 PM »

Good luck with that. I'm sure the criminals will be first in line to turn them in.

In the 21st Century, we have the best armed miltary in the world.

First of all, that's a reductio ad absurdum argument. Even the "right wing gun nuts" you hallucinate people like me as don't intend for people to blow each other away with semi-automatic weapons without reason. Evil lies in a man's heart, not in his implements. Oh, and the "militia" referenced in the Second Amendment refers to EVERYONE. I don't see anything there that disallows individuals from the right to keep and bear arms. Only redcoats like you hallucinate otherwise.

I am a retired Naval Officer who served in ODS, as well as a former Police Officer.

Congratulations. I also don't give a f***. Appeal to authority.

Like most of your views, calling me a leftist is not only ignorant but stupid.

And your assumption that all who support the right to bear arms and defend themselves against lawless thugs are somehow "right wing gun nuts" is not similarly ignorant? It must be great living in that glass house. I stand behind my label of you as a redcoat and as a leftist. Deal with it.

Yeah, you don't give a f*** about common sense! Slavery was contitutional until it wasn't! You obviously don't know sh*t about history and the Constitution!

Oh, and how many of these mass shootings have been stopped by people exercising their right to bear arms? Zero, zilch, none!

This "right" granted in 1791, like slavery, has become nonsensical!  The stone age didn't end because we ran out out stones.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2015, 05:00:43 AM »

The right to self-defense does not infringe upon the rights of another. If you think that slavery is in the same category as self-defense, you're beyond reasoning with.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2015, 07:13:53 AM »

From what I've read, the shooter was in a school for autism spectrum, and/or other educational/behavioral-based school. and went into the service (Army, I think) was booted prior to the finish of basic training. Someone, somewhere knows the history.  He didn't spend 20 something years off-the-grid.  There is likely an extensive school record.  No one is talking. Some psych diagnosis exists.  Who was his doctor? Did the doctor know that he was likely to commit a serious crime? Was he on medication that had violent side effects?

This supports the concept that there should be higher standards of ID for entering a school. There should be background checks to attend. If you go there, you get screened and have an ID. You don't get in without one.  And there should be metal detectors installed at every entrance. There are security people on campus already.  No one should have a weapon on campus or any school.  If the U.S. won't secure the borders and the shores, the schools need to pre-emptively secure themselves.  

There are more questions than answers.  Another school horror show.  
So, in other words, the criteria for going to Community College should be stricter than for buying a gun? These kind of ideas are ludicrous. Do you propose the same rules for attending elementary school, going to a shopping mall or a movie.

It used to be extremely difficult to get a hand gun. Now, it is a major corporate industry guided by the NRA (funded by the gun industry) and promoted and protected by the Republican Party.

Highly recommend reading this article in Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/4-pro-gun-arguments-were-sick-of-hearing-20151001
First, ORR, this has nothing to do with buying a gun.  It is proactive protection for students who are in (under the age of 18) "in loco parentis" as school is an extension of the home.  And children (and teachers) are sitting ducks.  The most important task is safety, whether it is getting 25 four year olds out of the building for a fire drill. Or a real fire or bomb scare.  Or, making sure whomever answers the locked door of the school is not opening the door to danger.  I have several decades of such experience.  

Second, community college is not much different.  Students are there to be educated and the school has a duty to protect and ensure student safety.  And that means that entrances need security.  That I can also speak to while active as a continuing ed student. A local community college serves about 10,000 students.  How do you keep that many students and faculty safe? There are security guards but anyone can walk in. Stronger security measures are needed now.

A local high school has a history of violence.  They have metal detectors.  It is the reality of the situation.  What teacher should go into school with kids who carry knives and guns? Many schools have school police in place for the last 35 years.  It isn't news or new.

This should maybe have a new thread.  It is an important discussion.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 07:18:19 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2015, 11:09:07 AM »

So much for keepin politics out of it, eh?  Frankly, it was a noble effort TRBB, but not realistic. This is one of the BIG agenda items of the Tyranny-movement. Disarm the people.  It's a biggie.  And the emotional are easy prey. So dipsh-t (Obama) made sure he set the tone IMMEDIATELY after the blood was spilled. They're cold-blooded, radical mutha-fckas.

So trying to talk about this issue with the emotional pawns, is like trying to explain to a 5 year old why they can't have candy for dinner. Don't bother. Just be glad we wrote it down in the beginning. It'll take an activist Supreme Court to continue their tyrannical coup to change it.

But since politics is being spewed, let me say that Obama's bilge was a steaming pile of lies. "We're numb to these things now."  Really?  You think dish-t?  We're numb to this?  Guess again. You speak only for yourself. We're anything but numb to this, dear President. You're numb. Does anyone even listen to this tube-steak in a suit?!

Dear World. This President does not speak for America. He's a puffy aristocrat, propped up by NBC.

That reminds me. Why don't you gun-nuts who wanna put the genie back in the bottle and get rid of guns and pretend guns kill people, go move to Australia?  I hear it's nice there. Seriously, freedom isn't for everyone. I get it. There's plenty of options. Stop fcking up what we want. If you're too stupid to understand that, export yourself.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2015, 12:30:52 PM »

Classy as always, Bean Bag.

Dear World. This blowhard does not speak for America.

Not that I expect you to show the slightest hint of decency, but please quit saying "we" as if you or your ilk were some massive majority being somehow undermined by a tiny fringe imposing its will on the country. To quote you (one of the only times I can imagine doing so), "you speak only for yourself." There are a broad spectrum of opinions. You can be as repetitive and loud as you want, but afterward, there will still be a broad spectrum of ideas. That's freedom. That's America. And to quote you again (miracles never cease), "if you're too stupid to understand that, export yourself." (Spoken tongue-in-cheek, naturally. It takes an absolute idiot to truly think that people with a different opinion are pawns, or stupid, or part of a tyranny movement, or radical, and should leave the country to those people who agree with hi.)

Sorry to the board for sinking to the cartoon windbag's level, and sorry to TRBB (who is capable of actual, informed discussion and whose wishes I have honored here by keeping politics out of it). I'll try not to do it in the future. But I'm sure at some point I'll get riled up again by some wholly inaccurate and/or vitriolic spittle.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: