gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:01:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW performing Pet Sounds in 2016  (Read 5114 times)
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2015, 08:43:31 AM »

I just got an email announcement about the LEVITATION 2016 Festival at an outdoor venue near Austin. Here's part of the lineup so far:

The 2016 Levitation lineup includes the legendary Brian Wilson performing his 1966 masterpiece "Pet Sounds", celebrating the 50th anniversary of this massively influential album with special guest Al Jardine.

Also announced as part of this lineup preview are one of the most acclaimed experimental bands of the past two decades, Animal Collective along with psychedelic producer and electronic vanguard Flying Lotus, who will bring an incredible multimedia experience to the festival. Festival mainstays The Brian Jonestown Massacre will return for the 3rd year, bringing new material from their upcoming LP.

Lee Scratch Perry, one of the most creative and innovative artists of the past 50 years, will bring the original Black Ark sound to Levitation, joined by stoner-metal titans Sleep and garage rock guitar hero Ty Segall, following his appearance last year with power trio Fuzz. Also on tap are Canadian heavyweights Black Mountain and the UK upstarts Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats, who fittingly, were recently chosen by Black Sabbath as their tour support.

Looks like no BBs reunion for the Pet Sounds 50th.
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 08:47:14 AM »

Levitation Festival? Surely Mike will show up.
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 08:53:40 AM »

Nah, he's above that...get it?  Grin
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 09:19:40 AM »

nah, what on earth do you mean?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 09:44:31 AM »

It'll never get off the ground…

“We live in divisive times.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 09:47:39 AM »

It appears this festival takes place at the end of April/beginning of May. Though not surprising, I suppose this would be further confirmation that we’re not going to see a BB reunion around the PS anniversary.

Obviously, many things could change. They could do reunion dates later. They could convert this gig to a BB reunion gig, etc.

Glad to see Al will be a part of that show (and hopefully any other 2016 gigs).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 10:19:36 AM »

Any reunion pipe dreams aside, what this really says is the priority of the cancelled UK dates to Brian's management.......
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 10:29:07 AM »

Any reunion pipe dreams aside, what this really says is the priority of the cancelled UK dates to Brian's management.......

I don't think one date in Austin, TX has much of anything to do with any potential UK dates? I would assume this date will be part of a more expansive PS tour that will hit the UK and US.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 10:50:51 AM »

So, will Brian and Al be performing Smile live in 2017?  Grin

(I'd love to experience a live performance of the Wild Honey album, myself.)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:53:31 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 02:08:04 PM »

They'll be performing Stack-o-Tracks in 2018!
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 02:55:18 PM »

Let's see what happens with the PS 50th first.  Roll Eyes
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 03:03:27 PM »

WHY would anyone expect them to perform  50th anniversary shows for an unreleased album ?

(I'd love to experience a live performance of the Wild Honey album, myself.)

This would be fairly short show; maybe Al could do it by himself?

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 03:17:00 PM »

Wild Honey would be so fun for a little mini-set to pull for 3 or 4 nights of a tour, that band could totally handle it... and can't you just imagine them playing the opening of "Aren't You Glad," it'd sound great with BW/AJ/MJ swapping verses maybe. Blondie on Wild Honey and one of those side two numbers, Darian on Darlin...

But bring on the Pet Sounds! Interesting festival lineup.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 03:21:44 PM »

If this comes anywhere near the UK or ireland I'll be there front row

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 11:33:57 PM »

WHY would anyone expect them to perform  50th anniversary shows for an unreleased album ?

Was just thinking, wouldn't 2054 be the 50th anniversary?  I suppose science could find a way to keep the boys around until then.

Gentlemen, we have the technology.  We CAN rebuild him.

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 11:57:30 PM »

WHY would anyone expect them to perform  50th anniversary shows for an unreleased album ?

Was just thinking, wouldn't 2054 be the 50th anniversary?  I suppose science could find a way to keep the boys around until then.

Gentlemen, we have the technology.  We CAN rebuild him.

Well, there was actually going to be a BBs Smile tour of the UK in 2017. All the venues were booked and tickets were on sale. Venues were mostly national football stadiums and ticket sales were already into double figures when the tour got postponed because Brian had some important marketing appointments to keep, to promote the upcoming release of the Ten Little Indians DVD.

That DVD itself is now stalled until 2054 while Mike rewrites the liners and Al adds a few overdubs. Mikes been sniggering over the fact that "First Nation" kinda rhymes with "good vibration" and "reservation" and there might be a new verse added. Bruce allegedly responded "Hey boss, hang the offence - just go for it! I'll sing it myself if Nelson gets all PC!"

You heard it here first kids - watch this space!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:00:58 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 12:51:21 AM »

It'll never get off the ground…
I just assumed it was all up in the air...

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 05:51:50 AM »

Wild Honey would be so fun for a little mini-set to pull for 3 or 4 nights of a tour, that band could totally handle it... and can't you just imagine them playing the opening of "Aren't You Glad," it'd sound great with BW/AJ/MJ swapping verses maybe. Blondie on Wild Honey and one of those side two numbers, Darian on Darlin...

Some of those 60s albums are short enough that they could knock out two albums in a show. Obviously, the horror, that might not leave a lot of room for other songs like "Barbara Ann."

But it would be interesting (if redundant in light of his touring history) to see Brian do a show with both "Pet Sounds" and "Smile." I wouldn't mind hearing Al and Matt in the vocal mix for the full "Smile" album. Doubt that will happen, of course.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 06:18:17 AM »

Some of those 60s albums are short enough that they could knock out two albums in a show. Obviously, the horror, that might not leave a lot of room for other songs like "Barbara Ann."

Hmm, Easy remedy:  Each show will always have Beach Boys Party as one of the two albums performed

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 12:18:21 PM »

Gentlemen, we have the technology.  We CAN rebuild him.

Stephen Hawking did say today in the news that "Advanced aliens could 'conquer and colonise' our planet". So you never know .. They might be BB fans and keep Brian alive.  Smokin
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 09:09:32 PM »

I live in TX. I told my 9 yr. old about this today. She lost it. We're festival-bound.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 09:19:21 PM »

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2015, 10:10:44 PM »

Message to BrianWilson.com (News)

In case you are interested, Brian will be celebrating Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary next year. One show has been announced and there was a message from Brian indicating that he will also tour PS in europe.

In other news...Japan surrenders, Kennedy shot in Dallas and the Berlin Wall falls!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2015, 03:44:24 AM »

I don't think one date in Austin, TX has much of anything to do with any potential UK dates?

Absolutely. Or indeed, any further US dates. Before pitching a hissyfit, let's wait and see what transpires.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx