gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:56:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Vibrations Session Footage  (Read 3680 times)
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2015, 06:47:15 AM »

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed or not, but there is a tiny bit more shown of the black and white footage from the Good Vibrations session during the "making of" feature on the Love and Mercy DVD/Blu Ray.  Not much though - maybe 10 seconds more total.  Is there any more from that footage that still hasn't been released?  Is there any chance the complete, unedited footage will ever be made available?
KDS
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 06:49:15 AM »

I'm not sure how much there is, but there's a good portion of it on the Doin It Again DVD. 
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 07:50:30 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8rd53WuojE

Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 02:52:30 PM »

Yep, but the L&M feature contains slightly longer takes of some of the moments seen in this clip.  I only saw the feature once, but I remember Dennis making faces at the camera at least 2 more times than shown here, as well as more of Brian messing with control knobs and giving instructions.  TSS book contains a page of still frames from this footage, which also indicates there is more to the footage than the clip above shows - it shows Brian sitting at the piano in the studio.  If I remember correctly, the footage was first seen on a CBS news story covering the release of TSS.  The biggest chunk of footage can be seen on the 50th Anniversary DVD (the clip above).  There are also 2 TSS webisodes that feature more of the footage, most of which is not included in the clip above, though much shorter. 

I would LOVE to see all of the existing footage, even if it's only another 30 seconds.  I've re-watched everything released on this session multiple times with the sound muted so I can concentrate.  Seeing 60s Brian with the wrecking crew absolutely fascinates me.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 06:56:52 PM »

I'd love to see that shot/footage of Brian at the piano. Cool Guy
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 10:48:20 PM »

According to this fan who went to Alan Boyd's seminar, there is alot more footage then shown to us, including an early vocal session for Dennis Wilson doing a Lead Vocal.

Here are two videos about him talking about what went on at the seminar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oizqk2Cpfrc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK5gRdG72ME
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 06:49:28 AM »

According to this fan who went to Alan Boyd's seminar, there is alot more footage then shown to us, including an early vocal session for Dennis Wilson doing a Lead Vocal.

Here are two videos about him talking about what went on at the seminar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oizqk2Cpfrc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK5gRdG72ME

Thanks!  But this just teases me even more!  Please, Mr. Boyd, please convince someone at Capitol to release all of this footage!  And while you're at it, how about talking them into releasing every single take and multi track for every BB song and demo in existence as a digital download!  Just as a small addition Wink
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 12:53:17 PM »

Wait -- there's forty-five minutes worth of this "Good Vibrations" studio footage?!?   Ahhh!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 03:45:10 PM »

Yep!! I'm that JustinPlank in the video describing that class I went to that Alan Boyd spoke in. That was last February when Mike and Bruce performed here in Bloomington Indiana. I was equally as shocked to hear of the 40-45 minutes of footage.  I Could watch that as silent footage (much like the BB in London 1966 documentary/DVD) all the way through...it'd be really fun trying to pic together everything that's going on.

Including our plea for this footage, I think we need (as Beatles fans are getting) a DVD release of a Beach Boys music/video anthology.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 05:18:23 AM »

Yep!! I'm that JustinPlank in the video describing that class I went to that Alan Boyd spoke in. That was last February when Mike and Bruce performed here in Bloomington Indiana. I was equally as shocked to hear of the 40-45 minutes of footage.  I Could watch that as silent footage (much like the BB in London 1966 documentary/DVD) all the way through...it'd be really fun trying to pic together everything that's going on.

Including our plea for this footage, I think we need (as Beatles fans are getting) a DVD release of a Beach Boys music/video anthology.

Thanks for the videos, Justin!  I wish I could have been there!  I live about 4 hours away from Bloomington...I would have definitely made the drive!  I hope Alan does a similar class somewhere in the midwest again.  To listen to the actual multi tracks in a studio would be a dream come true for me.  

Especially with the relative success of the film Love and Mercy, I'm surprised this entire video footage isn't released, even as $10 download on i-Tunes or something.  I know the average "greatest hits" crowd might not care for it, but L&M did an excellent job showcasing what a gift to the world of music that Brian is.  It would be interesting to study 45 minutes worth of Brian in studio...in the summer of 66 for crying out loud!  I know there's legal stuff involved, along with wanting to make sure they get a return on their investment, but this footage, along with wealth of unreleased sessions, seems so important to the history of 20th century music in general.  
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 06:45:56 AM by Pet Sounder » Logged
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 12:15:15 PM »

I was equally as shocked to hear of the 40-45 minutes of footage. 

Fascinating stuff, as that's a lot of minutes worth of footage. I guess that's in the 'holy grail' section of BB gold like the lost film of the CBS news speical at Brian's house. A must see all round.
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 03:13:55 PM »

I was equally as shocked to hear of the 40-45 minutes of footage. 

Fascinating stuff, as that's a lot of minutes worth of footage. I guess that's in the 'holy grail' section of BB gold like the lost film of the CBS news speical at Brian's house. A must see all round.

I flipped when I first saw the footage.  At long last, I had an accurate visual representation of the creative burst of energy that filled the dialogue and music of The Pet Sounds Sessions.  It's amazing watching how musical Brian's body language was during that time, even in the short sections that we've been shown.  I think what I love the most about the footage is that it clearly shows how passionate Brian was about the music he was creating.  That's what is so often missing in Brian's physical presence - even in Brian's early 60's concerts.  His dislike of touring becomes even more obvious when you see how animated he was in the studio compared to performing live on stage.  I'd almost take that footage over the multi tracks for TLGIOK...almost Wink
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 02:28:25 AM »

There is also some footage of Brian in the studio in the Wrecking Crew documentary. including a short snippet of him seated at the piano with the other musicians at their various posts. 

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx