gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:44:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random ramblings from a newbie  (Read 7250 times)
KDS
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2015, 01:30:01 PM »

Considering yourself lucky Bonnie.

The first image I ever saw of The Beach Boys was when they appeared on Full House. 

Maybe that's why I resisted getting into their music for such a long time.   Cheesy
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 02:06:28 PM »

Okay boss, I'll try to explain it.

Sunday afternoon, I'm bored and playing music from 1964 on youtube, just because I'm wondering what 1964 sounded like.  Skeeter Davis finishes "End of the World" with an impatient band hustling her along, and then "Don't Worry Baby" comes on, the Dick Clark clip.  Brian's in the middle and he opens his mouth and all the angels fall from heaven.  No actually my mouth drops open and I am spellbound.  Not only that, they close-up on the big guy, he smiles, I'm gone.

I had no idea he was Brian Wilson, I didn't know he WAS The Beach Boys.  I knew diddly squat about them and their music, although I have semi joked for years that Sloop John B will be my funeral song (don't ask, really). 

The next morning I wait until the house is empty and start my journey of discovery.  With two minutes of googling, I discover Pet Sounds, start playing it, just to hear a few bars, and it just all comes together for the first time in my head.  Woah.  I can hear the music all day, and then all this weird synchronicity stuff starts happening, and when I go to bed that night I can hear Brian's voice, singing, and boy is he loud!

It was like unlocking a door - or maybe several.

Now you think I'm mad?  Nothing like that has ever happened to me before, I'm boringly normal otherwise.

Lots of good things have come out of this, every single day since that day, actually. 
That's a great story and great post. Just made my day.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 03:25:25 PM »

Sunday afternoon, I'm bored and playing music from 1964 on youtube, just because I'm wondering what 1964 sounded like.  Skeeter Davis finishes "End of the World" with an impatient band hustling her along, and then "Don't Worry Baby" comes on, the Dick Clark clip.  Brian's in the middle and he opens his mouth and all the angels fall from heaven.  No actually my mouth drops open and I am spellbound.  Not only that, they close-up on the big guy, he smiles, I'm gone.

I had no idea he was Brian Wilson, I didn't know he WAS The Beach Boys.  I knew diddly squat about them and their music, although I have semi joked for years that Sloop John B will be my funeral song (don't ask, really). 

The next morning I wait until the house is empty and start my journey of discovery.  With two minutes of googling, I discover Pet Sounds, start playing it, just to hear a few bars, and it just all comes together for the first time in my head.  Woah.  I can hear the music all day, and then all this weird synchronicity stuff starts happening, and when I go to bed that night I can hear Brian's voice, singing, and boy is he loud!

Now you think I'm mad?  Nothing like that has ever happened to me before, I'm boringly normal otherwise.

Lots of good things have come out of this, every single day since that day, actually. 

So cool. Thanks for posting

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2015, 01:12:40 AM »

Thanks, it's nice to have you all here.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2015, 04:49:14 AM »

Thanks, it's nice to have you all here.

Only sometimes Bonnie, only sometimes  Roll Eyes
And never forget to always check your speeling spilling spelling  LOL
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2015, 08:01:21 PM »

Thanks Bob.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2015, 05:02:52 AM »

Agreed. That first period of infatuation (for want of a better word) is truly magical and like nothing else. For me it was in 2002 after seeing Brian (on TV) at the "Party at the Palace" and getting his "autobiography" for my birthday. After splashing out on numerous BB 2fers I'd go to bed with one BB tune in my head and wake up "hearing" another. I even moved the alarm clock out of the way so that its ticking wouldn't interfere with Denny's (or Hal's) drums. Wonderful times. :-)     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2015, 12:00:33 AM »

Thanks john.  Good to hear I'm not the only one who hears voices round here...   Smiley
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 02:34:10 AM by bonnie bella » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2015, 01:10:18 AM »

3)  Does every true BB fan hate Barbara Ann…?

When you've been to maybe 30 or 40 BBs/BW concerts a sense of Groundhog Day sets in. For example (please watch this all the way through):

http://youtu.be/sFukyIIM1XI

“We live in divisive times.”
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2015, 01:55:14 AM »

Lovely anecdote, and a nice overall vibe to this thread (makes a change). Welcome, Bella!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2015, 12:26:59 AM »

G'day, Ms. or Mrs. bella! 1st off - congrats, you're on the best BBs forum, before or after. Off to the questions. As other posters, I won't say anything definitive, just my 50c.

1)  Why does Don't Worry Baby sound so freaking good with earphones on? - Listen to the Sounds of Summer comp. It, as well as the rest, sounds best there.

2)  Surf's Up can provoke some pretty dark stuff sometimes, and I say that from a relatively happy head.  Anyone else have that trouble? - I don't. Never thought it's dark. It is serious stuff - that's how I hear it.
3)  Does every true BB fan hate Barbara Ann, and three quarters hate Help Me Rhonda? - I am very true in regards BBs fandom but I don't hate either. The 1st is fun, the 2nd is utmost classic.

4) How come I could remember long verses of lyrics from Pet Sounds, after hearing some songs only one time? - Because words go well with the music. They're catchy.

5)  Why (oh why) did TBB release the Christmas Album? - Because every act did it. It was required - call it trend, maybe. You said you don't like Christmas music, I think that's an issue or else you wouldn't ask this question, would you? Wink 2 I for one absolutely love it. I only wish they did all originals. Well, except We 3 Kings & Frosty the Snowman.

6)  Does anyone else get all danged-up and emotional hearing Brian sing? - It's good you asked about Brian. Usually, you'd find Carl described having voice of an angel. I disagree. Ofc, it's beautiful but I'm with Neil Young here who said that Brian had both innocence & maturity in his voice (small paraphrase).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2015, 05:18:14 AM »

2)  Surf's Up can provoke some pretty dark stuff sometimes, and I say that from a relatively happy head.  Anyone else have that trouble?

Not me. I'm part of the minority that is relatively untouched emotionally by Surf's Up. It's GOK that gets me emotionally on a level second to no other recording. Danged up!

3)  Does every true BB fan hate Barbara Ann, and three quarters hate Help Me Rhonda?

I love both of them. They always make me happy.

4) How come I could remember long verses of lyrics from Pet Sounds, after hearing some songs only one time?

Because you listened closely and related to it?

5)  Why (oh why) did TBB release the Christmas Album?

Because I love that album? Wink 2 (Ok, unlikely reason.)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2015, 06:07:46 AM »

Hi there everyone.

After being her for a week or so, I'm gathering my balls to introduce myself and make a few comments.

I'm a new fan, having discovered Brian and the boys about 18 months ago, but in a deeply profound way - not just as a simple fan.   (I get it, I feel it.)

Here are a few musings from my point of view.

1)  Why does Don't Worry Baby sound so freaking good with earphones on?

2)  Surf's Up can provoke some pretty dark stuff sometimes, and I say that from a relatively happy head.  Anyone else have that trouble?

3)  Does every true BB fan hate Barbara Ann, and three quarters hate Help Me Rhonda?

4) How come I could remember long verses of lyrics from Pet Sounds, after hearing some songs only one time?

5)  Why (oh why) did TBB release the Christmas Album?

6)  Does anyone else get all danged-up and emotional hearing Brian sing?

Thank you to all that contribute to the absorbing Mike Love Bad/Photo thread.  Lotta fodder in there to sift through.

Smiley

1) I will have to try listening to DWB with head phones on. I know I am in a tiny minority, but DWB is way down the list for me. I don't hate it, but it doesn't stick out to me musically either.

2) SU is incredible. I love watching the Bernstein special. Someone in the Smile doc mentioned that the song predicts this spectacular era of creativity was not going to last. Or something of that sort.

3)I dislike the context inwhich Babarann was recorded more than the song itself. Sort of a rush project to please the company. The Party album is a cool throw away idea, but the fact this one song became so popular, and to casual fans can over shadow a lot of their great songs before and after annoys me. Help Me Rhonda the single has a great production, but like Don't Worry Baby, is way down the list for me.

4) I don't know. Maybe you have a good memory Wink

5) Because they were feeling festive.....in August when the songs were recorded.

6) Depends on the song. Some songs (especially in the 80s) his voice makes me cringe. But many of them yes. Especially Caroline, No for me.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2015, 12:32:25 PM »

Gosh, a wee flurry of replies!  That's great!  Here's some things I have learnt already from your feedback. And to Paul and Bud, thanks, I like to think I put some good vibrations out there.  Smiley

1) Barbara Ann and Help Me Rhonda maybe aren't so hated after all.  Thanks John for the Minion example.  I must say, it picked up again at 2.28 and then at 3.48 when the little one middle left did his thing.  He's so cute I'd take him home, but I'd probably eventually mistake him for a pineapple tic tac and eat him.  

2) Some people remain unmoved by that curious Surf's Up song.

3) The Christmas album is a bit of a polariser.   Tongue

4) Nobody is alarmed in the slightest that I could hear Brian in my head like that.  Phew, no psych required...

5) Danged up is normal around here.

6) Lotta good people around.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 01:03:46 PM by bonnie bella » Logged
KDS
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2015, 01:43:44 PM »

I think every great band has a song like Barbara Ann.  A song that only really hints at what the band is all about but, much to the dismay of the loyal fans, remains one of the group's most popular. 

One of the best examples I can think of like this is Van Halen's Jump.  Catchy?  Sure.  Decent song?  Sure.  One the Van Halen's best.  Absolutely not even close.  But, if you see VH in concert, that song will typically get a HUGE response. 
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2015, 04:12:59 AM »

Hey Bonnie,

Welcome to the board!  It's always wonderful to read about a person's first experience hearing The Beach Boys.  I'll have to admit that what I experienced when I first heard them was pretty much as awe-inspiring as your own.  I like to tell people that The Beatles made me want to pick up a guitar and learn how to play.  I never had chord books or anything, just a good ear.  But when I speak of Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys, that's when I say I really learned about music and what it can do to a person's soul.  It was only after I discovered Pet Sounds in my Dad's vinyl collection and playing it for the first time that I suddenly realized that I could hear all those harmony parts, break them down into their separate voices.  Oddly enough, I had never thought much about it when listening to other music.  I guess I've always heard music playing in my head but Brian Wilson actually got me thinking that I should sit at a piano or guitar and actually work out those melodies and harmonies I was hearing.  It's what continues to inspire me to write, write, write.  Thank you again for sharing your story with us and I truly hope you will find many interesting tidbits and maybe even a revelation or two as you continue to explore this message board!   

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx