gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 10:16:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dylan's New Archive Release - The Cutting Edge  (Read 1437 times)
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2015, 03:26:34 PM »

In a previous thread i talked about future copyright-buster sets. Well Dylan's is as amazing as speculated , a release featuring every single studio recording from 1965 and 1966. Well i could moan about the fact that the World Tour 66 tapes aren't included but i'd be a complete ass because this has to be one of the finest archival releases of all-time. In terms of boldness it is the finest. I can think of only one other American pop/rock act that could match Bob's output creatively at that time and who would deserve similar attention. Over to you Mark and Alan.  An everything else from 1965/6/7 box would be super awesome if you're not too busy.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 02:56:09 AM »

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/bob-dylan-cutting-edge-bootleg-series.html

Yes, it is, but if the Boys did it, you'd get people whining about the price.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 04:21:17 AM »

I think i'd prefer the complete chronological 60s studios masters including outtakes and demos personally. Grin Mind you I wouldn't complain if they did that in chunks ala 61/64, 65/66, 67 and 68/69 for example. I think we've got the Pet Sounds and SMiLE Sessions pretty well covered already though.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 06:34:22 PM »

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/bob-dylan-cutting-edge-bootleg-series.html

Yes, it is, but if the Boys did it, you'd get people whining about the price.

Most Dylan fans are complaining about the price. If you don't believe me, go over to the Hoffman board and read the 100+ page thread on this release.

It's hard to say if a BB release like this would do well. I don't think it would considering they've released session boxes behind their two most popular albums already. If they did a release like this of Friends I'd buy it in a heartbeat but I don't think many people other than board members here would be into it. I do think the BBs could release a multiple cd box set of live shows that would sell well. Either a collection of full live performances from '65 - 95 or a multiple show collection from the '73 "In Concert" recordings.

The reason the Dylan release works is because the '65 - 66 period covers material from three great albums (Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde On Blonde) AND he recorded live in the studio including vocals. So if you have 6 versions of "I Want You", you have 6 different performances of "I Want You" usually with Dylan trying different arrangements, tempo changes, etc. on the song. It's not your typical, "let's try this again but have the bass come in earlier" or "let's try this again with the drums not so loud", etc.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 08:33:53 PM by lee » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx