gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:02:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Talk About Awards For Love and Mercy  (Read 20802 times)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2015, 08:32:21 PM »

I think the most likely acting nom for this movie is probably Elizabeth Banks for Supporting Actress. She has the hottest career right now (having directed Summer blockbuster 'Pitch Perfect 2') and has the more admirable heroic role in the movie. As they say every Oscar season, "It's her (or his) time." The female acting categories are also usually less competetive. Plus Banks kills it in her scenes with Giamatti. I don't see Dano or Cusack getting nominated for their work even though it was pretty solid. It will be interesting to see what happens. A sound editing or mixing nomination could be in the cards as minor consolation for no Best Picture nom.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 08:35:31 PM »

It was a good movie but I really don't think it will win the Oscar for best picture.  Probably best shot is acting nominations for Dano, Cusack or Giamatti.

Tough doing a split role for Dano and Cusack but I hear you on Giamatti.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2015, 10:46:28 PM »

Realistically, the best shot is original song. The Academy loves to nominate living legend types because they will show up to perform. I can totally see them nominating Brian simply so he and band plays at the telecast. I don't know if it would win, but I bet the producers push it (and the car radio playing the song in the film strongly suggests they already have that in mind).
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2015, 12:36:07 AM »

I think it could possibly get a nod for sound editing but can't really see it getting any Oscar noms. Nothing in it stands out to me but who knows.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2015, 10:22:41 AM »

I think the odds of nominations and perhaps even a win or two is better with the Golden Globes. L&M strikes me as the kind of film the Foreign Press Association finds appealing.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 10:25:41 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2015, 07:48:10 AM »

Dano and Giamatti are worthy in my opinion. Possibly best picture. Objectively though, I think it should win all the awards! Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2015, 08:07:05 AM »

I liked the movie a lot. Among my favorites this year. I'm not expecting much, if any, Oscar action but will be tickled if it comes.  
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 08:50:16 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2015, 08:10:27 AM »

Like it says on the Blu Ray cover...The best musical biopic in decades, Chicago Sun times. How can you argue that?

The categorically award nominated/winning Walk The Line was good, but L&M is superior on so many levels. The recreations are stunning. Look at that Sloop John B video again. To recreate that EXACTLY as it was is top notch incredible film making. The opening scene with Dano, talking about "losing it" as the projector breaks to black screen and sounds/voices flood in...wow and I mean WOW. The bedroom montage imagery alone is fantastic, then hearing In My Room to start and finishing with Till I Die......talk about nailing a sequence.

Perhaps the most overlooked aspect of L&M in general is that the movie lets the viewer decide when to feel emotional. The "ok this is where you should get choked up" moment is absent. The viewer can get choked up, or feel disgust for Landy, or frustration with Mike, but its all subtle. This movie IS Pet Sounds on film. Sad scenes about sad times and sad scenes about happy times.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2015, 09:00:03 AM »

Like it says on the Blu Ray cover...The best musical biopic in decades, Chicago Sun times. How can you argue that?

The categorically award nominated/winning Walk The Line was good, but L&M is superior on so many levels. The recreations are stunning. Look at that Sloop John B video again. To recreate that EXACTLY as it was is top notch incredible film making. The opening scene with Dano, talking about "losing it" as the projector breaks to black screen and sounds/voices flood in...wow and I mean WOW. The bedroom montage imagery alone is fantastic, then hearing In My Room to start and finishing with Till I Die......talk about nailing a sequence.

Perhaps the most overlooked aspect of L&M in general is that the movie lets the viewer decide when to feel emotional. The "ok this is where you should get choked up" moment is absent. The viewer can get choked up, or feel disgust for Landy, or frustration with Mike, but its all subtle. This movie IS Pet Sounds on film. Sad scenes about sad times and sad scenes about happy times.

Yes, but you are assuming that the Oscars reward creativity and they don't really. A little bit -- but not much. That fact that only one Coen Brothers movie and one Scorsese movie has won best picture and other great filmmakers never had a movie win Best Picture is a testament to that. The Academy Awards typically like status quo, inoffensive, middle of the road kind of movies. They tend to avoid schlocky popcorn flicks (unless they made a ton of money) but they also tend to avoid really creative, unique, and challenging movies too. This is why I see Love & Mercy as being by and large shut out from the Oscars.

I would also add that I think that I'm Not There is a better film than L&M and it was all but denied any Oscars. It received one nomination, I think, which was Cate Blanchett in a performance that was almost intended to get a nod. But given the calibre of that movie (which, along with The Squid and the Whale and Nebraska, I consider to be the best film of the 21st Century) I think it should have been nominated for about ten awards and it was nominated for one.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 09:09:37 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2015, 09:30:09 AM »

Maybe not wins, but at least nominations.  The people who make DVD covers LOVE to put nominations on the covers.

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2015, 10:30:31 AM »

Maybe not wins, but at least nominations.  The people who make DVD covers LOVE to put nominations on the covers.

Again, though, for the reasons I gave above, I would be pleasantly surprised to see L&M getting nominated.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2015, 12:41:47 PM »

Love and Mercy is shockingly direct.  Here I thought I knew the story of Brian Wilson and what he went through as a person.  What I didn't know AT ALL/In any way, shape or form was what it was like to go through that endless little tunnel as Brian Wilson.  I couldn't and can't even begin to imagine what it was like.  And every time, along the way, that Brian enjoyed some kind of public triumph as a person and as an artist I incorrectly assumed that things were on the mend, improving, that there was plenty of light at the end of some imaginary passageway to normalcy.

Award shows and Halls of Fame and things of that ilk do what they do based on reasons which make little or no sense and which pay no heed to the reality of what sits before the decision makers as their various real and honest 'choices'.

I KNOW...though...what one of the most important movies for my life, passions, interests and tastes is.  It is Love and Mercy. 

I honestly don't know how he ever recorded the song let alone managed to finish that first solo album.  My emotions when it comes to Brian and the various assholes who've played him for way too many decades both in person and then with their never-ending ramifications which continue[d] are almost IMPOSSIBLE not to loathe.  The only thing which saves his father from the instant call for retroactive abortion is the fact that his 'input' was needed in order to supply us with Brian, Carl and Denny.

Will Love and Mercy be recognized?  Like Pet Sounds, like SMiLE, like Brian himself...perhaps someday.  The SOONER the BETTER.  I'm sure it means a great deal to both Brian and Melinda and because of that I hope it happens at the next Academy Awards event.

Gawd!!!  I thought I knew... ... ...and I really had NO idea.  What a sensational and IMPORTANT movie it is.  Real industry recognition is DUE.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2015, 08:53:50 PM »

Love and Mercy is shockingly direct.  Here I thought I knew the story of Brian Wilson and what he went through as a person.  What I didn't know AT ALL/In any way, shape or form was what it was like to go through that endless little tunnel as Brian Wilson.  I couldn't and can't even begin to imagine what it was like.  And every time, along the way, that Brian enjoyed some kind of public triumph as a person and as an artist I incorrectly assumed that things were on the mend, improving, that there was plenty of light at the end of some imaginary passageway to normalcy.

Award shows and Halls of Fame and things of that ilk do what they do based on reasons which make little or no sense and which pay no heed to the reality of what sits before the decision makers as their various real and honest 'choices'.

I KNOW...though...what one of the most important movies for my life, passions, interests and tastes is.  It is Love and Mercy. 

I honestly don't know how he ever recorded the song let alone managed to finish that first solo album.  My emotions when it comes to Brian and the various assholes who've played him for way too many decades both in person and then with their never-ending ramifications which continue[d] are almost IMPOSSIBLE not to loathe.  The only thing which saves his father from the instant call for retroactive abortion is the fact that his 'input' was needed in order to supply us with Brian, Carl and Denny.

Will Love and Mercy be recognized?  Like Pet Sounds, like SMiLE, like Brian himself...perhaps someday.  The SOONER the BETTER.  I'm sure it means a great deal to both Brian and Melinda and because of that I hope it happens at the next Academy Awards event.

Gawd!!!  I thought I knew... ... ...and I really had NO idea.  What a sensational and IMPORTANT movie it is.  Real industry recognition is DUE.
Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Brian Wilson himself, Love and Mercy, and your post. I was born and raised, probably conceived, with a Beach Boys sound track and a dad who made sure I learned about Brian Wilson along with Shakespeare and Rodin, but L&M gave me an emotional education.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2015, 03:24:22 PM »

Just going by recent Oscar nomination articles it looks like L&M has been buried by all the recent releases.. Lost in the shuffle.

Will be seriously disappointing if it doesn't pick up any noms but not surprising  Undecided

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2015, 07:41:31 PM »

Talk of an Oscar nod for Elizabeth Banks in Love & Mercy:

http://www.awardsdaily.com/blog/2015/09/oscars-2016-best-supporting-actresses-and-their-anchors/

And for Paul Dano:

http://www.awardsdaily.com/blog/2015/09/oscars-2016-best-supporting-actor-is-crowded-already/

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2015, 08:07:26 PM »

Dano sounds like a good chance.  Elizabeth Banks (by far the best looking of the lineup) might just surprise us.  I thought she was great.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2015, 08:36:43 PM »

Watch for the scene where Murry shows up at the studio with the new Sunrays record, and focus in on Dano standing in the studio doorway. Then take a look at some of those studio photos from 1966, from Jasper Dailey or Guy Webster, like this for one example:

And consider how much skill as an actor Dano brought to capturing the littlest details of Brian from that era, even the non-verbal aspects. Definitely deserving of any awards he gets nominated for.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2015, 09:54:31 PM »

From Variety

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/straight-outta-compton-love-mercy-oscar-buzz-1201605599/

With the New York Film Festival (Sept. 25-Oct. 11) adding new titles to the Oscar buzz after Venice-Telluride-Toronto, it’s time for Oscar voters to catch up on some films that opened in the distant past — i.e., between January and August.

That list definitely includes Roadside Attractions’ “Love & Mercy” and Universal’s “Straight Outta Compton.” The former is out on DVD, and the latter is still in theaters.

The two are fact-based tales about the music scene in Southern California; they respectively deal with Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys in the 1960s, and with N.W.A in Compton in the 1980s. They’re very different in tone and approach, but both are about the creative act, and how artists can be frustrated but eventually nourished by their surroundings.

Both require a little patience from viewers. At first it’s jarring to have two familiar actors, Paul Dano and John Cusack, playing the same character in “Mercy,” but when the film kicks in, the casting makes sense. Both are excellent.

With “Compton,” AMPAS voters may be reluctant to watch a film about a “gangsta” culture that seems too foreign. Considering the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences demographic, it’s a safe bet that many of them grew up with Beach Boys music; it’s also a safe bet that few have ever bought an album by N.W.A. But in truth, the “Compton” milieu is as foreign-yet-familiar as “Jersey Boys.”

The first 40 minutes of “Compton” require some work, as it introduces a lot of characters. But don’t give up. About an hour into the movie, the film shifts into high gear with a sequence of N.W.A performing “F**k the Police” at a Detroit concert. It’s a piece of bravura filmmaking from director F. Gary Gray and his artisans that simultaneously shows the relationships among the group members, as well as all the reasons why fans loved N.W.A — and why the authorities didn’t. “These are not bangers, these are artists,” says Paul Giamatti (who happens to be in both films).

Each movie features a scene in a recording studio as they work on albums. Hollywood’s musical biopics often have trouble depicting the creative act, lamely showing a poet sitting at his desk, or a composer looking skyward for inspiration and then suddenly beginning to play the piano. But the sequences in “Love & Mercy” and “Compton” hit the nail on the head, showing the creative process in ways that are illuminating and entertaining.

Universal’s “Straight Outta Compton” is hot-button topical; “Love & Mercy,” less so. But both are about universal truths about self and family. So voters should catch up on the work of directors F. Gary Gray (no relation) and Bill Pohlad, and their teams of filmmakers. A lot of films from the January-to-August period have faded from the conversation, but these two still remain players.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2015, 05:54:48 AM »

I should preface this by saying that, apart from my BB fandom, I think "Love & Mercy" is a great *film*, and does deserve some nominations.

But, as objective as I can be about this as a film, I'm not sure Banks's work in the film is literally Oscar-worthy. She did a great job, and I wouldn't argue with a nomination just to get this film more eyes. The performance (unlike, say, Dano's) never struck me while watching as a "wow, this is Oscar-caliber work"  sort of moment. I do think Dano's work falls into that category. I'm not sure even Cusack's is quite in that territory (again, I liked his work in the film), but his part in the film is certainly the secondary "Oscar bait" sort of role in the film (obviously).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2015, 08:10:12 AM »

I should preface this by saying that, apart from my BB fandom, I think "Love & Mercy" is a great *film*, and does deserve some nominations.

But, as objective as I can be about this as a film, I'm not sure Banks's work in the film is literally Oscar-worthy. She did a great job, and I wouldn't argue with a nomination just to get this film more eyes. The performance (unlike, say, Dano's) never struck me while watching as a "wow, this is Oscar-caliber work"  sort of moment. I do think Dano's work falls into that category. I'm not sure even Cusack's is quite in that territory (again, I liked his work in the film), but his part in the film is certainly the secondary "Oscar bait" sort of role in the film (obviously).

I agree with all of this.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2015, 01:11:36 PM »

It also deserves a nomination for best screenplay. Aside from the daunting task of weaving two periods 20 years apart, and pulling it off seamlessly, the script is loaded with really intelligent sequences and imagery. Not to mention great characters.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2015, 06:33:20 PM »

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2015/10/full-thomson-repost-the-most-eloquent-testimonial-for-elizabeth-banks-love-mercy-performance-anywhere-by-anyone/

Cook pork throughly
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2015, 10:04:30 PM »

The Academy Awards sometimes make good choices such as for example jk Simmons  who won Best Supporting Actor for the movie whiplash. In other instances, often with the best picture, they make idiotic choice such as that wretchedly bad movie 12 years a slave, Birdman from last year, Dances with Wolves, crash, and a series of other films, often those of temporary cultural value because of their perceived political correctness. The movie love and mercy is 10 times better than any of those that I have listed.

Also consider the execrable Robin Williams winning over Burt Reynolds for Best Supporting Actor. Most of all from love and mercy, I hope that Brian's song that ends the film will win. One kind of love is one of my favorite Brian Wilson songs including the entire Beach Boys corpus.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2015, 09:15:20 PM »

Pretty good article:  http://deadline.com/2015/10/paul-dano-elizabeth-banks-love-mercy-brian-wilson-netflix-aaron-sorkin-1201581968/

The short interview the writer has with Brian is classic!  The way it ends is great!

This is interesting:
I also asked Pohlad about the Oscar strategy where Dano is being pitched for Supporting Actor and Cusack for Lead even though they pretty much equally share the role.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 09:17:40 PM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2015, 10:05:20 PM »

Really don't get the hate for Birdman. It's great!

As for L&M, I expect a nom or three, but the acting slots always see a bunch of competition. We shall see!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx