gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:36:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Talk About Awards For Love and Mercy  (Read 20805 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2015, 05:53:41 AM »

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2015/09/love-mercy-persists/

There are three more months left in 2015, and if you boil the fat and pretense out of all the noteworthy films released or seen over the last nine months, the only ones that really stand out big-time are Spotlight, Mad Max: Fury Road, Love & Mercy, Carol, Son of Saul, Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of the National Lampoon, It Follows, About Elly and Brooklyn. Yeah, that’s right — Love & Mercy in third place. And it’s time turn the engine over and start with an award-season. I’m looking to do phoners with a few name-brand actors and filmmakers who are fans and don’t mind saying so. Five or so, I’m thinking. I’ll call it “The Love & Mercy Conversations: Artists Speak Up For The Little Movie That Could and Did”…something like that.

What is Smiley Smile's take on the possibility of Oscar awards for Love and Mercy? I know there are a few film aficionados here, just curious what the odds are for any major awards.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 05:58:11 AM »

Since it's a little more unique than a traditional music biopic, and had a bit of an arthouse feel, I'm hoping that it gets nominated.  I think Cusack, Dano, Giamatti, Banks, and Pohland are all worthy.  And One Kind of Love might get a nod for Best Song.  

However, I fear that Straight Outta Compton might get more nods, and I'm not sure if you'll see two music biopic movies get nominations.  I hope I'm wrong.  
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 06:02:46 AM by KDS » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 06:00:41 AM »

I highly doubt it will win any Oscars. It'll maybe get a few nominations but not many. I hope to be pleasantly surprised though.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 06:28:11 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 06:56:44 AM »

I'd put (a little) money on soundtrack.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 07:08:02 AM »

There actually isn't a category for soundtrack.

The sound categories are: Original Score, Original Song, Sound Editing, and Sound Mixing.

Of these categories, I'd say L&M has the best chance to be nominated in the latter two.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 08:09:25 AM »

Clearly, original song. Possibly Dano and/or Cusack, too.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 08:49:32 AM »

Clearly, original song. Possibly Dano and/or Cusack, too.

Hope so. Wish a special dual award would be presented. The sound editing and mixing are also first rate and minimally deserve a nomination.

What about Golden Globes or other awards...does not have to be Oscars.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 09:49:23 AM »

The sound categories are: Original Score, Original Song, Sound Editing, and Sound Mixing.

Of these categories, I'd say L&M has the best chance to be nominated in the latter two.

And, as previous discussed in other threads, the Ross score is probably ineligible for "Original Score" since it uses elements of old recordings/songs.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 10:13:10 AM »

That's why I should never gamble!
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 11:25:28 AM »

I'm glad to see that site championing L&M. I think it might get nominated for Best Original Song. And perhaps Paul Dano & John Cusack as Supporting Actors.

If it can get some attention at the Golden Globes, that would open Academy Awards possibilities. I'll be watching Critic's Top Ten lists, that will help as well.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
KDS
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 11:27:32 AM »

I'm glad to see that site championing L&M. I think it might get nominated for Best Original Song. And perhaps Paul Dano & John Cusack as Supporting Actors.

If it can get some attention at the Golden Globes, that would open Academy Awards possibilities. I'll be watching Critic's Top Ten lists, that will help as well.

Wouldn't Dano or Cusack be up for leading actor?  I know each was only in the movie for roughly half the runtime.  But I would think since they each play Brian, it would be lead. 
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 11:31:56 AM »

Wouldn't Dano or Cusack be up for leading actor?  I know each was only in the movie for roughly half the runtime.  But I would think since they each play Brian, it would be lead. 

Could be. I would just naturally (probably wrongly) assume supporting since they both were 'leads'.

KDS
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 11:34:22 AM »

Could be. I would just naturally (probably wrongly) assume supporting since they both were 'leads'.

I guess it all depends on how the Academy / Golden Globes / etc see it. 

I know Anthony Hopkins won Best Actor for Silence of the Lambs, and I think he was only onscreen for 15 minutes in the two hour movie. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 12:10:08 PM »

The Hopkins nomination notwithstanding, I would be surprised if Dano and Cusack were categorized as something other than supporting. I can see why Hopkins was nominated for Best Actor - he was kind of the iconic figure of that movie. But it would be nice if there were some clear rules about this stuff.
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 12:46:01 PM »

I believe that you are considered in the category you submit yourself in.  So, if Cusack or Dano want to call themselves leads, then that is the category they compete in.   There might be less competition in the Supporting Category, so they may they their chances there.  Or one may do lead and the other supporting as to not compete against each other.   Usually the studio is the one submitting for consideration, so those sorts of strategies take place beyond the actors' wishes or egos.

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 12:49:16 PM »

That makes a ton of sense actually.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 12:54:07 PM »

I believe that you are considered in the category you submit yourself in.  So, if Cusack or Dano want to call themselves leads, then that is the category they compete in.   There might be less competition in the Supporting Category, so they may they their chances there.  Or one may do lead and the other supporting as to not compete against each other.   Usually the studio is the one submitting for consideration, so those sorts of strategies take place beyond the actors' wishes or egos.

Thanks very much for the info!

Although your information does remind me of a joke William H. Macy told years ago when he was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for Fargo. When asked what his speech would be if he won, he said, "Supporting my ass."
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 12:55:31 PM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 01:03:46 PM »

I'm a bit of a cinephile, but due to my longstanding BW fandom I can't objectively rate this film in relation to the others. I can't really say with hand on heart that it "deserves" to win, but there are so many people who just watch films based on the Academy Noms, and the film would basically get a second lease of life here in the states if nominated. So many more people would learn about Brian's story and the depth of his music beyond the hits, which would only be a GREAT THING. Here's hoping it happens.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 03:19:32 PM »

It was a good movie but I really don't think it will win the Oscar for best picture.  Probably best shot is acting nominations for Dano, Cusack or Giamatti.

I too though would love to see it win something, but fear it was a little too inside baseball to garner much in the way of nominations.  The Compton thing well may overshadow it.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 03:23:25 PM »

My understanding, and I've already shown my ignorance so take this with an enormous salt rock, is that usually a film will strategize their submissions en masse. I've seen it suggested that Dano go for Best Actor because the nomination will be great for his career at this point; and that Cusack go for supporting because then the two won't be splitting the L&M vote and Cusack would have a better chance of a nomination in supporting.
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 05:11:00 PM »

That strategy makes total sense to me.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 05:13:06 PM »

I can definitely see Cusack getting a best supporting actor nod, the sound/editing depts, possibly screenplay. The people involved know how to play the game, it should be interesting...
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 05:32:19 PM »

What about Elizabeth Banks?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2015, 05:50:42 PM »

What about her? I must have missed your praise of her performance as Oscar-worthy, but if you can dig up a link it'd be fun to check out.

She did a great job with the part that helped serve as a sorta surrogate for the audience, and had some quality reaction shots tho! Those outfits, too... wow. The costume dept. must have had a blast goin' shopping.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 05:52:56 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2015, 05:53:56 PM »

I can definitely see Cusack getting a best supporting actor nod, the sound/editing depts, possibly screenplay. The people involved know how to play the game, it should be interesting...

And is is a game indeed. Since the game is played let's hope our team wins. John Cusask gave a career defining performance. Dano was excellent as well but is less known with a smaller body of work. I have seen a number of Cusack movies and his performance in L&M is on another level. I'm still in a bit of a state of shock that a....not good....but excellent film was made about our guy...in his lifetime no less. It deserves to win a number of awards.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx