gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:43:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WHY do musicians egg up their ego ??  (Read 1377 times)
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2015, 03:19:55 AM »

A blog from Dave Clarke guitarist of 'Kast Off Kinks', I sure haven't heard of what is mentioned about his connection to the BB's
Who is Bruce Johnson ?

Dave Clarke

Lead guitar, lead vocals

Dave started playing piano at 4 and guitar at 9. His first record in 1963 (at the age of 15) was produced by Luigi Creatore at New York’s Roulette Records. Often confused with his DC5 namesake, his 1971 solo album “Pale Horse” saw him temporarily renamed as Dave Carlsen. The album featured Keith Moon and Noel Redding. Also auditioned for David Bowie at the Lyceum in 1971 but didn’t go on the US Ziggy Stardust Tour.

Dave formed The Noel Redding Band with Noel, Les Sampson and Eric Bell – after false starts with Pete Kircher, Micky Gee and Mick Taylor - two singles, two albums on RCA and four major US tours. Another album was eventually released later on Dave’s own Mouse Record label. He then formed White Line with Jimmy McCulloch and his brother Jack, 2 singles and one album. Dave met Carl Wilson and Bruce Johnson in London in 1977 and went to California on the Beach Boys payroll. He formed a band in Los Angeles with members of Spirit, JoJo Gunne and The Undisputed Truth - all Dave’s songs, some of which were later released on his second solo album under the name The Dream Machine. Jimmy McCulloch instigated another new LA band featuring Jim, Dave, Carl Wilson and Terry Kath (Chicago). Sadly Terry died and so, prematurely, did the band. Songwriter throughout for Southern Music, ATV Music, Screen Gems and Heath-Levy.

Dave joined the Royal Navy in 1979 and after active service in the Falklands War and elsewhere, retired as Commander in 1992, set up Mouse Records and formed Shut Up Frank (see Mick Avory). He collaborated on and off with Tim Rose from 1974 until Tim’s death in 2002 including shows in Ireland and England and three albums. Dave has been a member of the Kast Off Kinks for 20 years.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 03:28:54 AM by Rob Dean » Logged
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 03:24:24 AM »

In fact I have met all the Boys (Bar Dennis), hey I have even sung with David - Can I put all of that on my résumé, and quote that I have played with The Beach Boys
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 05:46:25 AM »

Padding resumes is not uncommon. Just about every BB touring band member I've seen who has put together a bio/resume has listed all of the bands they've "worked" with, even when a bunch of them are one-shot guests from BB gigs (e.g. Ringo Starr).

In fairness, in at least one or two cases, I've seen them specifically note that they worked with these people through their work in the BB touring band. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 01:15:07 PM »

It's just what you do, because it's what everyone does.  I've seen so many band resumes where I've gone, "you put that on there?  Who hasn't done that?  I've done that!  That's nothing."  And then you realize, well, maybe you should put it on your own resume!

I mean, there's all kinds of people I've played with for one song or what have you.  A lot of 'em -- Brian being one of them -- I don't generally list because you're onstage with about 40 other people.  On the other hand, if you've gigged with X, even once, and the next guy hasn't, then dang it, you better list it.  Because the next guy sure will, and it's real concrete experience you've had that you bring to the table.  It separates you from, say, a guy in Peoria who's never played with a major act, even in a cameo capacity, and it's relevant to getting hired.

Now - "coming to California on the Beach Boys' payroll" -- that's just brilliant writing, I say.  I applaud the chutzpah!  It's up to the reader to figure out that it doesn't mean nothin'!  But in general, the further you gotta reach, the less you got going on.  Again, it's up to the reader to catch on.  Whatever level you are at, you gotta work with what you got when you're writing up your CV.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 01:20:25 PM by adamghost » Logged
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 10:49:55 PM »

Jimmy McCulloch instigated another new LA band featuring Jim, Dave, Carl Wilson and Terry Kath (Chicago). Sadly Terry died and so, prematurely, did the band

Four guitarist/vocalists doesn't sound like much of a "band".  I mean with guys like Jimmy and Terry, it doesn't make me think CSNY.  And was this "almost band" any more worthy of inclusion than his coming to LA on the Boys' payroll?  If it was set in stone, they could have carried on without Terry, who like Carl, had another full time job anyway.  And look at the timeline: 

Jimmy heads to the studio/yacht with Wings in February 1977 and is presumably there, on and off, until September. Sometime before September, he also records two songs with the Small Faces.
Between April and June, Terry is in the studio with Chicago.   
Chicago XI is released in September.
Jimmy leaves Wings in September and immediately goes on a short tour with the Small Faces.  Chicago were also on the road in the fall.  (They played Texas that October.) 
Terry dies in January 1978.

It is possible they all talked during the summer about playing together after Chicago's tour wrapped, maybe after the new year but again, I don't know how serious things were or if that "project" is worth putting on anyone's resume.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:52:50 PM by Phoenix » Logged
Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 12:22:23 AM »

Not to derail the thread but, on a related note, I've met seven people locally in the past 20 years who claimed to have written all the big hair metal hits of the 1980s. Same story each time: "I wrote this, that and this other thing and <insert band names here> stole them from me and I never received credit or saw a dime in royalties." I refrained from calling bullshit in each instance simply because I wanted the conversation to end as soon as possible.

My favorite in my area is the bassist who periodically posts ads looking for musicians and always claims to have served as the bassist for a dozen major acts. He believes he toured with David Bowie for "many years" -never mind that neither his name nor likeness appear anywhere in relation to Bowie's live (or studio) work. I did call bullshit on that one and got, "Well, uh... you, uh... you don't know what you're talking about!" Uh-huh. Roll Eyes

This is the Internet age, folks. Think it all the way through before you lie about sh*t. LOL     
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 06:26:58 PM »

Yup. 

Regardless of what I said above, a great rule of thumb when evaluating musicians is the more they brag about the people who they've played with, the less they have actually going on.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx