gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:31:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Making the Wild Honey album a classic  (Read 4949 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2015, 09:40:52 AM »

A few years ago, I rearranged the album and replaced some songs. This order of songs blows my mind! Using stereo amap:

Been Too Long (a cappella Hawthorne version)
Wild Honey
Gettin Hungry (assuming S and not SS got released)
Country Air
How She Boogalooed It
Transcendental Meditation (I know the timeline is off, but.   I think the music fits better here than Friends)
Mona Kana
Good Vibrations (early version- Brian lead)

Darlin
Aren't You Glad
Let the Wind Blow
Here Comes the Night
A Thing or Two
Can't Wait Too Long

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
linusoli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 09:46:54 AM »

It's already a classic. The Beach Boys' very own stoned soul picnic. Its minimalistic brevity is a huge part of its appeal, and it definitely doesn't need a bunch of showy set pieces jammed in where they don't belong. (Seriously? Early Good Vibrations?)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 09:48:06 AM »

From a songwriting perspective Wild Honey is as good as it gets, if only Brian had recorded it in a proper studio...

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
linusoli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 09:49:29 AM »

No way! 1967 Beach Boys is as hip as it gets - indie lo-fi 30 years before its time

And any world that presupposes Smiley Smile didn't come out is a world I don't want to live in...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 09:57:22 AM »

From a songwriting perspective Wild Honey is as good as it gets, if only Brian had recorded it in a proper studio...

Man I wonder about that too. I definitely love the album as it is but I can't help think what it would sound like had it been recorded at Gold Star, Western, etc.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 10:13:04 AM »

Man I wonder about that too. I definitely love the album as it is but I can't help think what it would sound like had it been recorded at Gold Star, Western, etc.

With full band harmonies. I can't make out Bruce or Dennis in the vocal stack at all.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 10:44:18 AM »

I absolutely love the album's muffled sound and sparse instrumentation, no need to change anything about it! Some fans and critis have compared it with Dylan's approach on John Wesley Harding and I think as a comparison it's very fitting. Those are two very fine examples of a post-psychedelic back-to-the-basics approach!
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 10:50:19 AM »

I think Wild Honey is perfect as is... I think a stereo mix would be mind-blowing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 10:50:48 AM »

With full band harmonies. I can't make out Bruce or Dennis in the vocal stack at all.

Definitely. I'd love to hear it wall of sound style in a stereo-pet-sounds-esque mix. All those horns, echo chambered - it would sound killer.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 11:20:51 AM »

I agree that Wild Honey is good as is. But I like the idea of opening with Been Too Long and closing with Can't Wait Too Long. Wondering how a fully produced album WH album would sound with the wrecking crew and all is not what I meant. The songs can stay the way they are. Transcendental Meditation for example sounds good following How She Boogalooed it! The only thing I may reconsider is Mona Kana for a later album. Sounds too polished. May add a mix of the Dennis and Carl Smile session instrumentals?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 11:28:37 AM »

Firstly, start with swapping in the extended alternate version of "I Was Made to Love Her". It's far more interesting with just that little section added, compared to the released album version.

How odd must it have been for the album's first single to be released on October 23, 1967, only 1 month and 1 week after the release of their previous album? 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 11:29:47 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 11:38:02 AM »

A classic as it is----Unique and that's good.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 12:10:27 PM »

Firstly, start with swapping in the extended alternate version of "I Was Made to Love Her". It's far more interesting with just that little section added, compared to the released album version.

How odd must it have been for the album's first single to be released on October 23, 1967, only 1 month and 1 week after the release of their previous album? 

You could. I try not to use covers as much as possible.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 12:17:29 PM »

You could. I try not to use covers as much as possible.
Boy, I'd hate to have to leave off I'm So Young off of Today.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 12:34:57 PM »

Made a playlist of this. Though I cheated and changed a few things.

Can't Wait Too Long (a cappella MiC)
Wild Honey (stereo)
Gettin Hungry (stereo)
Country Air (stereo)
How She Boogalooed It
Mona Kana

Darlin (stereo)
Aren't You Glad
Let The Wind Blow (stereo)
Here Comes the Night
I'd Love Just Once To See You
Can't Wait Too Long (GV boxset)

I forgot just how awesome the stereo version of 'Darlin' sounds. Love the sequencing on that first side (didn't add TM because it's so engrained to me as a Friends track, also didn't use GV because I wasn't sure what version you meant). But I really like the Can't Wait Too Long opener/closer. I think it would sound great if the tail end of the first track segued into the beginning of Wild Honey a little. Always nice to hear these tracks with a different perspective.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 12:43:52 PM »

Boy, I'd hate to have to leave off I'm So Young off of Today.

Or "Why Do Fools..." off SDv2.
Or "Sloop John B" off PS.
Or "I Can Hear Music" off 20/20.
Or...

I have the "classic" 2fer of WH with SS and loads of fabulous bonus tracks. Nuff said...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 03:00:44 PM »

WH was a MOST WELCOME release after SS.  It was like...THANK GAWD!!!  They're still alive.  SS was a frightening experience when it was FIRST released...like 14 months after Pet Sounds.  I mean really!!!!!  Smiley Smile after Pet Sounds?  That was like winning it all and then committing suicide.  No...WH was MOST welcome.  Phew!!! Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 06:24:56 PM »

Wild Honey really, REALLY needs a mono/stereo release like all the albums before it (except Surfin' Safari obviously).  There is so much going on in the tracks to this hip little album, as can be heard on the actual stereo mixes we have heard thus far. 

I can't help but wonder if Mark Linett has put out any searches for the missing multis, or if it's a lost cause... Sad
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 06:31:52 PM »

I think Wild Honey is perfect as is... I think a stereo mix would be mind-blowing.
Exactly. I wouldn't change anything else about this classic album.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 08:29:12 PM »

Why you wanna mess up their greatest LP?

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 08:43:56 PM »

It's fun to wonder what ifs... but this is one little album that probably doesn't need it.  It just happened.  It's all one occurrence, as far as I know.  It sure sounds it.  One complete thought.  I wish there were 50 of these.

This is as close as I'll get to having Brian Wilson (in a happy-place) alone with a four-track.  The icing on the cake is the fact he brought the Beach Boys in on it.  I want more.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 05:40:53 AM »

Why you wanna mess up their greatest LP?
There you go!

WH is in my old car "CD six-pack" and never comes out!

Wild Honey and Country Air!

That LP is the real deal.  Love

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 07:13:29 AM »

I thought the early version of Good Vibrations was obvious. It's a bonus track on SS/WH twofer. Anyway, here is a playlist of my alternate Wild Honey album.
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXjclVOWaN7VJAj7ZHwIScy6hHQiamT4B

MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2015, 03:13:45 PM »

Wild Honey is a perfect album as is.

Its brevity is beautiful.  The crudeness of sound, such as it is, only makes it sound more rock and roll.

I love that it was mainly played by the Boys.

Didn't even Lester Bangs refer to it as the album of 1967?  And just think of what other great albums were released in '67.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2015, 05:05:35 PM »

I'm wondering if people are misunderstanding. I love the way the songs are produced. I didn't plan on changing anything, except the running order and puting in a couple of tracks on the shelf for what are in my opinion weeker cuts like Mama Says and a great cover, but not original of I Was Made To Love Her. I guess most of you disagree that Wild Honey can be improved upon, but I feel that the running order of the songs I listed is a fantastic listen!

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx