gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:49:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Making the Wild Honey album a classic  (Read 4925 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2015, 06:52:59 PM »

I'm wondering if people are misunderstanding. I love the way the songs are produced. I didn't plan on changing anything, except the running order and puting in a couple of tracks on the shelf for what are in my opinion weeker cuts like Mama Says and a great cover, but not original of I Was Made To Love Her. I guess most of you disagree that Wild Honey can be improved upon, but I feel that the running order of the songs I listed is a fantastic listen!
I love it just the way it is. The only songs on the album I don't absolutely love are A Thing or Two, and How She Boogalooed It.
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 09:50:55 PM »

I love it just the way it is. The only songs on the album I don't absolutely love are A Thing or Two, and How She Boogalooed It.

Am I the only one who adores "A Thing or two?"
What a great riff! Later recycled for the verses in "Do it Again."
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2015, 10:17:59 PM »

It's okay, but not one of my favorites. "Country Air" is, though. And "Aren't You Glad". And "Let the Wind Blow".
Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2015, 12:29:57 AM »

The Wild Honey album is a classic. No need to change anything. Cool
rogerlancelot
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2015, 01:59:54 AM »

I'm wondering if people are misunderstanding. I love the way the songs are produced. I didn't plan on changing anything, except the running order and puting in a couple of tracks on the shelf for what are in my opinion weeker cuts like Mama Says and a great cover, but not original of I Was Made To Love Her. I guess most of you disagree that Wild Honey can be improved upon, but I feel that the running order of the songs I listed is a fantastic listen!

Agreed! "A Thing Or Two" is a song which tries to "rock" and so totally doesn't. I've played Wild Honey many, many times on my two-fer and I can barely remember how "How She Boogalooed It" goes, it's such a slight song. Other than that, it's a great album. I love the vocal workout on "Mama Says" but that song must have been so far out of step in late 1967.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2015, 03:51:02 AM »

I'm wondering if people are misunderstanding. I love the way the songs are produced. I didn't plan on changing anything, except the running order and puting in a couple of tracks on the shelf for what are in my opinion weeker cuts like Mama Says and a great cover, but not original of I Was Made To Love Her.

I think everyone understands very clearly indeed! No problem, MTR----to each their own. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2015, 05:49:33 AM »

I agree with you, Magic Transistor Radio. To me, yes, Wild Honey does appear...short. It's barely 24 minutes; some groups' album sides are longer than the entire Wild Honey album (BOTH sides of The Doors' L.A. Woman comes to mind). Not to get off the topic, but with The Beach Boys having 5 or 6 songwriters, it's always been perplexing why some of their albums lacked number of songs.

I love re-configuring and re-sequencing BB albums, but I don't like to remove songs; it usually makes more sense to ADD them. The Beach Boys usually had a couple of outtakes that were equal if not better than some songs that made the final cut. So, with your Wild Honey project, I would just add "Can't Wait Too Long"; it's a great BW track and would at least bring the album to 12 songs at about 27-28 minutes:

The Beach Boys - Wild Honey

01  Wild Honey
02  I Was Made To Love Her
03  Country Air
04  Aren't You Glad
05  How She Boogalooed It
06  Mama Said

07  Darlin'
08  I'd Love Just Once To See You
09  Let The Wind Blow
10  Can't Wait Too Long
11  Here Comes The Night
12  A Thing Or Two
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2015, 09:25:28 AM »

I wonder what would have happened if Smiley Smile had never been released and Wild Honey followed Pet Sounds? Move Best of Vol.2 after Wild Honey
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2015, 05:58:23 AM »

Love it----well, like the rest of the album as it happens. "ATOT" is superb. The verse part reminds me in some way of the Stones' "Going Home"  from Aftermath.

It's rather as if Carl (or someone) said let's revisit the format of "Gettin' Hungry" and take it a stage further...   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2015, 06:20:27 AM »

ATOT is so much fun. Makes a nice intro to Darlin' too.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2015, 08:00:42 AM »

What do you all think if everything was the same except the album open with Can't Wait Too Long (Hawthorne vocals only section) and closed with Can't Wait Too Long from the twofer?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2015, 08:23:27 AM »

What do you all think if everything was the same except the album open with Can't Wait Too Long (Hawthorne vocals only section) and closed with Can't Wait Too Long from the twofer?

Sorry, MTR, but i really do think it's great the way it is!

As you say, "CWTL" (or rather my favourite version of it) in on the 2fer with Wild Honey----problem solved, as i see it. Grin

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2015, 09:02:12 AM »

Yeah, I reckon Wild Honey's already a perfect, concise little classic. CWTL doesn't especially fit the vibe of the album to me (and you've already got a snappier acappella outro), I find it a lot more Friends-y. Maybe if you were to swap it for Transcendental Meditation...

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2015, 03:31:42 PM »

Yeah, I reckon Wild Honey's already a perfect, concise little classic. CWTL doesn't especially fit the vibe of the album to me (and you've already got a snappier acappella outro), I find it a lot more Friends-y. Maybe if you were to swap it for Transcendental Meditation...

Interesting. Ever since I first heard it (on the SS/WH 2fer), it's struck me as being in a field of one---a lone meteor across the BB firmament. Some of its chord progressions (notably the rising section with the off-mic, unintelligible lyrics) ally it more to Wild Honey than to Friends in my opinion but in most ways it's utterly unique...

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2015, 11:41:47 PM »

That sound would be completely out of place on Wild Honey, it's not sparse enough. Would have been a better fit for Friends or 20/20.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx